PDA

View Full Version : frozen shooter/snow queen and photon booster questions

jspacemunkey
May 27, 2004, 11:10 PM
i apologize for posting questions which i'm sure come up often. forum search locks up my browser so i'm forced to make a new post.

1. when attempting to trade for the photon booster in the gallon's shop quest, what is the minimum number of photon drops required? the guide here says 45, but i've heard that one can usually get a better deal than the minimum pds listed in the guide. in addition, i'm curious whether you can even be offered the photon booster until you have at least 45 photon drops (as the guide suggests). what i mean is, even if there is a slightly lower number of pds accepted in trade for the photon booster, will the booster even be offered if the player doesn't have 45 pds? a little complicated, but i'm hoping someone knows the answer.

2. about the frozen shooter/snow queen: if i equip a cure/freeze will i be immune to the gun's occassional "backfire" freeze?

3. is there any drawback to upgrading the frozen shooter to the snow queen? they're both rifles, which means range should not change. i would assume that the gun's special won't become less accurate after the upgrade, and atp certainly increases. is there any reason not to use a photon booster to upgrade the frozen shooter?

4. when upgrading a frozen shooter using a photon booster, do the original weapon's percents carry over? i would assume so, but i want to make sure.

VulpesMundi
May 28, 2004, 12:34 AM
1. The minimum I've ever gotten a Photon Booster to appear is 46 PDs. The less PDs you have on you, the lower the chances that an item will appear (to the point where it won't appear at all, of course). If you have the time and patience, start at 45. If you can't get it to appear, go up to 46. If it won't appear there, go for 47, and so on. Just keep in mind that you shouldn't have to go past 50 PDs for a Photon Booster.

2. Yes, a Cure/Freeze will nullify the self-freeze.

3. The Frozen Shooter acts like a typical rifle. Its special attack automatically freezes any viable targets and will do as much damage as a heavy attack with roughly the same accuracy. This version is better for single target situations.

The Snow Queen retains the animation of a rifle, but it cannot combo and the shot will penetrate targets, striking anything in its path. Its special attack automatically freezes any viable targets and will do as much damage as a heavy attack with roughly the same accuracy. This version is better for crowd control.

4. Yes, when using a Photon Booster on a Frozen Shooter the Snow Queen will retain any percents.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VulpesMundi on 2004-05-27 22:38 ]</font>

jspacemunkey
May 28, 2004, 12:39 AM
good to know. i think then that i'll just stick with the frozen shooter. thanks very much for the help.

Sitka
May 28, 2004, 11:51 AM
The snow queen works great when you are with a good team of ranger/force/hunters because you can freeze an entire pack of baddies in one shot and let everyone else fry em or whack em, so everyone gets good experience. It kinda of sucks without a good team, because you can't do much damage and you can only get one shot per round. Having used both extensively, I prefer my shooter with no percents over the snow queen with good percents, mostly because of the ability to hit multiple shots. Range on both guns is excellent. Having used most of the other guns available, I pretty much stick with my shooter over any other. I equip the god battle, cure freeze, cure shock and cure confuse most of the time and that prevents me from getting temporarily disabled in nearly every situation. Doesn't to a hell uv a lot for a megid attack, though. IMHO, I would never convert a shooter into a snow queen (unless you have a stockpile and you want to mess with the other, of course).

marrydavidson101
Apr 17, 2010, 02:07 AM
Ok, I couldn't find a guide, and my memory skills sucked, so I thought I'd go to the trouble of writing down all the correct switch presses in the 'Pioneer Christmas' quest. I have only covered Levels 3 and 4, as only these are needed for the Present.

Ce'Nedra
Apr 17, 2010, 02:21 AM
I prefer the queen myself, freezing a pack of enemies is way better then a single (Delsabers are hard to freeze with a SQ though, i got a 60h SQ and it even fails).

After i freeze a group with SQ i always swap to my Needles and Mechs anyway. I've used FS as well lots of times, but i still prefer the Queen. It's only drawback is when a enemy is close and doesn't instant freeze cause of its high EVP like Delsabers. Aside that SQ > FS for me any day.

Also why would someone want the multihits of a FS? Queen freezes much better to my expierence then shooter. With Queen you need 1 shot to freeze a group for a bit, with shooter you need to shoot every single target of the group, by the time you freeze them all the first one can move again. That way you basicly need to stay moving and shooting the whole time while with the queen so just shoot once and can saftely kill the enemies. Add Spread Needle with the SQ to mix para and freeze on the enemies the same time (they stay much longer frozen that way) and you can kill them without taking a sweat.

Neith
Apr 17, 2010, 07:50 AM
Holy 6 year bump Batman :wacko: