PDA

View Full Version : Fanboy: Eew, Theyve Turned MGS Into Yu-Gi-Oh!

Deathscythealpha
May 28, 2004, 10:57 AM
Heh, only having a little fun with the title, but it is interesting to read up that Metal Gear Acid on the PSP will be a Card Based Strategy Game.

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/strategy/metalgearsolid/preview_6097774.html

Wow, thats kind of a big change from the normal Metal Gear, but it sounds interesting. Least you can still knock and walls and stuff. I wonder if the game will actually add anything to the MG Storyline or just be a spin off?

Ah well, im gunna keep an eye on this one, may be one of the reasons why i buy a PSP.

HUnewearl_Meira
May 28, 2004, 11:10 AM
I'm not personally against card battle games...

But while I can see how it was a logical move to turn PSO into a card battle game, as they had some similar elements to begin with...

Doesn't it seem a little foolish to turn a Metal Gear game into a card battle game? The concept seems to scrape directly against Metal Gear's typical demographic, doesn't it? I mean, look at how many people were disappointed by PSO's change-- and PSO's demographic was somewhat conducive to the idea.

Deathscythealpha
May 28, 2004, 11:40 AM
It does seem odd that theyve changed the focus of the series so drastically, but maybe they are trying to aim for a wider audience (even though i reackon everyone has played MGS).

And i seem to have the faintest tingling of a game that worked similer to this on an older console, but i cant for the life of me remember what that game was. I remember it being fun, but just cant remember what it was.

*goes of wracking brain trying to remember game*

Outrider
May 28, 2004, 05:15 PM
I just don't understand why they don't go with a standard MGS-style game. Take out the majority of the dramatic camera angles and make it like the first MGS. They managed to make an MGS-style game on Gameboy, and from what I heard, it was pretty good.

I think Kojima's just drunk with power. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Outrider on 2004-05-28 15:15 ]</font>

Reclaimer
May 28, 2004, 05:51 PM
According to Kojima-san in a recent interview, he stated that there was a reason for this shift in gameplay. He explains it in this quote, borrowed from IGN and slightly altered by me, to make a bit more understandable:

"Metal Gear Solid is a series about stealth-action, and it requires very delicate, very fine button controls and input. If you make a little mistake with the button input, you might be spotted by the enemy. A handheld system is just not suitable for that kind of fine input, and when I discussed it with the team, we reached the conclusion of coming up with a game that has the Metal Gear Solid look, the feel, the flavor, but something that's not action-based because of the buttons and controls. That's why we've come up with something with more strategic elements."

It's good to see many game companies trying all sorts of new things, and personally, this game alone is reason enough for me to get a PSP. I trust that Kojima-san and his team will do a fine job on this game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TetsuyaHShimomura on 2004-05-28 15:53 ]</font>

Arislan
May 28, 2004, 05:53 PM
Hah! I saw that teaser trailer, saw the Hit and Evade, and thought it became a strategy style game... This just bears out my hypothesis.

Ahh well, I'll end up playing this for a little while then letting it gather dust again, just like all the other MG games..

Outrider
May 28, 2004, 07:08 PM
On 2004-05-28 15:51, TetsuyaHShimomura wrote:
According to Kojima-san in a recent interview, he stated that there was a reason for this shift in gameplay. He explains it in this quote, borrowed from IGN and slightly altered by me, to make a bit more understandable:

"Metal Gear Solid is a series about stealth-action, and it requires very delicate, very fine button controls and input. If you make a little mistake with the button input, you might be spotted by the enemy. A handheld system is just not suitable for that kind of fine input, and when I discussed it with the team, we reached the conclusion of coming up with a game that has the Metal Gear Solid look, the feel, the flavor, but something that's not action-based because of the buttons and controls. That's why we've come up with something with more strategic elements."

It's good to see many game companies trying all sorts of new things, and personally, this game alone is reason enough for me to get a PSP. I trust that Kojima-san and his team will do a fine job on this game.

Right. But as I said, they made a Metal Gear Solid game on Gameboy which was supposed to be pretty darn good. So I don't see why they can't just do a standard top-down MGS game on the Playstation Portable.

Deathscythealpha
May 28, 2004, 08:20 PM
On 2004-05-28 17:08, Outrider wrote:
Right. But as I said, they made a Metal Gear Solid game on Gameboy which was supposed to be pretty darn good. So I don't see why they can't just do a standard top-down MGS game on the Playstation Portable.

Ah, but a top down game wouldnt show off the PSP's graphical power. Eye candy like what MGA is showing off on a portable is amazing and will sell games. When i first saw the screenshots i was drooling (just before i realised it was card based, now im just anticipating).

Actually, its suprising that Sony didnt put an Analog stick on the PSP, you would think that with most of the games it wants to support it would be a necessity. Im sure they could have made a lil stick that you could screw on and off for portability.

Outrider
May 28, 2004, 11:14 PM
The PSP does have a stick. Isn't it the little thing just below the D-Pad?

And hey, they managed to do a top-down game with the first Metal Gear Solid. Just throw in some pretty cinemas if you really want to show off the graphics and voila.

BlackRose
May 28, 2004, 11:23 PM
Hahaha, I think this sounds pretty cool. I've got a friend though, who's a die-hard MGS fan and who hates video games changing style almost as much as he hates card games. It'll be interesting to see his reaction XD

Skett
May 29, 2004, 05:01 PM
On 2004-05-28 21:14, Outrider wrote:
The PSP does have a stick. Isn't it the little thing just below the D-Pad?

It is not really a stick. Not sure what exactly but a stick would be too high for a portable. Still, looks awkwardly placed.

On Metal Gear Acid, it is very much speculated that it is a alternate reality title like MGS for Game Boy Color, so it is not in the home consoles timeline.

I am going to give this game a chance because Hideo Kojima is creating it and he is arguable the second best game creator there is. (First is Shiggy.) I actually wish that he could create a MGS title for Nintendo DS but appearently he does not want to because he thinks the DS is going to be kiddy, like the GBA (His words, not mine). Then again, he said the same thing about GameCube and it still got a MGS title. (He is obviously not a big fan of Nintendo systems)

strongmad89
May 29, 2004, 05:59 PM
On 2004-05-28 15:51, TetsuyaHShimomura wrote:
but something that's not action-based because of the buttons and controls.

omg... that was one of my favorite things about the game... the action..

what i mean is...

the game was great w/ the player's heart racing; trying not to get caught, always trying to make the right manuver, shooting down the enemy...

could somebody please tell me how you could make a heart-racing stealth action game into a card pullin', slow reacting card battler? i just dont think that would fit mgs's style.

Deathscythealpha
May 29, 2004, 06:20 PM
Well there is the way you may pull a few awkward cards. You play them anyway, hoping that your moves are ok. Your end your turn and wait for the guards to make their move. You see one slowly decide that the direction your hiding in seems to be a nice place to hang out. He comes closer, closer! Then stops as he finish's his turn, just a couple of panals away from you. You then let out a sigh of relief as it becomes your turn and you get to jump out and shoot the guy with your Socom card.

Maybe a possible scenario, but we will have to wait to see how this one goes before we find out if that is a possibility.

Outrider
May 30, 2004, 01:10 AM
I'm not really doubting that Kojima will make it into a great game. All I'm saying is that I think if they had really wanted to, they could've made a standard MGS game.