PDA

View Full Version : Old-school Dreamcast player here...

Mindblade
May 29, 2004, 10:37 PM
Woah, I can't believe my profile and stuff saved. I doubt anyone remembers me, but I used to be around all the time back before the move to planetDC.

I'm thinking of picking up PSO for my Xbox.

I logged 400+ hours into the DC version of PSO. I lost a 300hour, lv100 RAcast to a VMU-eject. I played hours of lobby soccer. In short, I'm a PSO fanboi. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

How does the Xbox version compare? Will I enjoy it as much? I don't know if I'm really going to like voice, I very much enjoyed the keyboard, as it ensured a sense of roleplaying. Basically, I don't want to hear a HUnewearl talk in a 50-year-old comic shop owner's voice. Hold the comments, but I also put a few hours in as a FOmarl and HUneweral myself, and enjoyed having people try to figure out if I was really a chick or not. Plus, the age-old online RPG rule came into effect, and I got lots of free gear from other guys http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Any other DC players around? Does it live up to the awesome memories I have of PSO? Also, how does naming work with live? Will I have 5 different characters, all named Mindblade?

Thanks for any replies. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Edit: Also, back when I played on DC, there were these weapons that used regular, modern-day ammunition, and the shells would eject out of the barrel and stuff. I can't remember the name, V-something I think. Are they in the Xbox version, and worth using?

Jason
May 29, 2004, 11:02 PM
I used to be an old-school Dreamcast player too. My character, Lv 124 (since v1 through v2), is gone. I deleted him when I sold my Dreamcast. I moved on. Am continuing in the GC version.

teflon
May 29, 2004, 11:05 PM
On 2004-05-29 20:37, Mindblade wrote:
Woah, I can't believe my profile and stuff saved. I doubt anyone remembers me, but I used to be around all the time back before the move to planetDC.

Same here. I remember you as THE man for Mag farming back in the DC days.

I'd say go for it. There are quite a few different things in the GC/XB versions (such as Photon Drops, %s, on average, being much higher, Ult. enemies being much easier) which help add to the game. I'd recomend taking a peek at the guides here before purchasing the game, just to see what's changed. Shame you want the XBox version, the GC version is less infected with dupes, has less cheaters, and lets you play with players from other countries. I'd love to play a few games wiht you. ;_;

Edit: Also, back when I played on DC, there were these weapons that used regular, modern-day ammunition, and the shells would eject out of the barrel and stuff. I can't remember the name, V-something I think. Are they in the Xbox version, and worth using?

Yas 200:http://www.pso-world.com/items.php?op=viewarticle&artid=192

Yas 300:http://www.pso-world.com/items.php?op=viewarticle&artid=227

Yas 7000:http://www.pso-world.com/items.php?op=viewarticle&artid=209

Yas 900:http://www.pso-world.com/items.php?op=viewarticle&artid=589

Personally, I'd choose the 9000. It's a Mechgun with a Rifle's range. How could you not love that?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: teflon on 2004-05-29 21:06 ]</font>

Alielle
May 30, 2004, 03:10 AM
Cool. I remember you.

I think you'll like PSOX. Voice chatting is weird, but you do get used to it. Luckily you can choose to mute the idiots and Darth Vader mouthbreathers if it ever comes down to it. People will probably say the GC community is better, but I'd say it's mostly a matter of finding a good group of people to play with. Not too hard to find good players, even oldschoolers, if you look hard enough. Also, it's not easy to roleplay on Xbox, and most people don't, not even with voice filters. If RPing is really important to you, consider going with the GC version.

Gameplay is as good as ever, and the character classes have been reworked a bit. I especially welcomed the upgrades to the Forces, since V.2 basically spit in the face of anyone who took the time to raise one. I think the classes are generally a lot more balanced now.

I found all the upgrades and new stuff enough to make the game way more fun. It's totally worth it.

iamfanboy
May 30, 2004, 05:47 AM
I say go with gamecube!!!!!

...if only because I am on there, if only because more Japanese players are on there, and once more, if only because I am on there.

I can't speak for the HexBox community, but I CAN speak for the fuxxored HexBox hardware and lousy selection of games (other than the redoubtable Halo and, of course, PSO) and the annoyance of how lousy the system is.

I dunno. Hackers and dupers are prevalent in both systems, but on the HexBox it just seems like that much more of a problem; at least, I hear a lot more people byatching about it on HexBox. Also, if someone IS using hacked items in a HexBox game and isn't being straight up about it, it totally messes up the rare drops. Such is not usually the case in a Gamecube game, just in case someone is rude enough to be using a 1304 mag.

Also, there are a lot more Gamecube quests, and a lot more gamecube support, because the Japanese hate the HexBox almost as much as I do, and that is saying something.

DarK-SuN
May 30, 2004, 08:31 AM
PSOGC, definetly.
I was a PSOX player before and it didn't have the PSODC feel, I gave PSOGC a try and it was all back.
Alternatively, play PSOBB if you have a decent PC.

HiroX
May 30, 2004, 10:37 AM
I never played on DC, my friend did. Did you know a hunter named "ShadowFox"?

SonicBlue22
May 30, 2004, 10:40 AM
GC all the way! Its worth getting. emial me at [email protected] if you get online on GC.

DarK-SuN
May 30, 2004, 12:11 PM
On 2004-05-30 08:37, HiroX wrote:
I never played on DC, my friend did. Did you know a hunter named "ShadowFox"?

I remember seeing more than one "ShadowFox", one of them may or may not have been the same person you're asking about. o_O
ShadowFox is a relatively common name.

Shigecki
May 30, 2004, 01:44 PM
On 2004-05-30 03:47, iamfanboy wrote:

...if only because I am on there, if only because more Japanese players are on there, and once more, if only because I am on there.

I can't speak for the HexBox community, but I CAN speak for the fuxxored HexBox hardware and lousy selection of games (other than the redoubtable Halo and, of course, PSO) and the annoyance of how lousy the system is.

I dunno. Hackers and dupers are prevalent in both systems, but on the HexBox it just seems like that much more of a problem; at least, I hear a lot more people byatching about it on HexBox. Also, if someone IS using hacked items in a HexBox game and isn't being straight up about it, it totally messes up the rare drops. Such is not usually the case in a Gamecube game, just in case someone is rude enough to be using a 1304 mag.

Also, there are a lot more Gamecube quests, and a lot more gamecube support, because the Japanese hate the HexBox almost as much as I do, and that is saying something.

This commercial was paid for by the Japanese owned Nintendo Corp.

iamfanboy
May 30, 2004, 04:15 PM
On 2004-05-30 11:44, Shigecki wrote:

*looks up from counting his big wad of yen*

I'm sorry, did you say something I should have been paying attention to?

Well, I'm off to the brothels of Shinjuku. See you guys in the funny pages!

Shigecki
May 30, 2004, 05:38 PM
On 2004-05-30 14:15, iamfanboy wrote:

On 2004-05-30 11:44, Shigecki wrote:

*looks up from counting his big wad of yen*

I'm sorry, did you say something I should have been paying attention to?

Well, I'm off to the brothels of Shinjuku. See you guys in the funny pages!

lol, whore

SpyroDi
May 30, 2004, 11:09 PM

You really should check your sources,and you shouldn't bash other systems. You sound like you haven't even PLAYED the Xbox.

You should definitely consider getting PSO for the Xbox. Even though you need Xbox Live(and it's not just for one game either)to play it,it's quite fun. The quests are behind compared to the GC,but it's catching up.

Also,on the Xbox,it's much much harder to get FSOD-X. Actually,I think it's impossible,since the Xbox runs on a hard drive. All you do is lose your unequipped items when you freeze.

I think PSOX might also be cheaper than the GC,well from what I've seen at game stores.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SpyroDi on 2004-05-30 21:12 ]</font>

Zinger314
May 30, 2004, 11:23 PM
All you do is lose your unequipped items when you freeze.Didn't they fix that? The few times I've been frozen, I haven't lost anything.

Also, If you have Live, get PSOX. Otherwise, get PSOGC.

iamfanboy
May 31, 2004, 01:02 AM
I bash XBox because I owned one for the first year of its existence (a Christmas present from my grandmother), bought 10 games for it, and was disappointed in EIGHT of them.

1/5 good games for a system simply doesn't do it for me.

Sure, the xbox has good sports games, and there is no doubt that Halo is fun, and I love playing DOA EX Beach Volleyball simply because it is beautiful, but EIGHT OUT OF TEN GAMES THAT WERE TEH SUXXOR?!?!?!

No. Just no. I refuse to support a system that existed for the first year of its life simply on Halo and the promise of more Halo to come.

Since I hate sports games and that is what is best on the Xbox, I will stick to the GC and games that I know I will like, such as Metroid, Resident Evil, Zelda, Animal Crossing, Eternal Darkness...

Especially when two games that come out for the same system look virtually the same. I rented Need for Speed underground for my GC after my friend refused to lend me his Xbox version, and I was SHOCKED at how little difference there was between the two games!

And if you think that I dislike Xbox because it is a Microsoft creation, you would hold a seed of truth in your hands, but no more than a seed. It was poorly implemented, poorly planned, poorly marketed, and honestly I would rather play my old Dreamcast than pull the Xbox out of storage any day.

And yes, I own every major system of this generation: Xbox, Dreamcast, 2 PS2s (1 Japanese, 1 English... mmm... Japanese exclusive games...), and a Gamecube. Right now I am pretty obsessively playing PSO, with only the occasional break for DDR 4th Mix, but I have to say that Xbox... simply is annoying.

AND WHY THE HELL IS THE DAMN SYSTEM SO HUGE???? That box is a murder weapon, not a game console. I don't even think I would own one if my grandma hadn't bought me one. For the price of that Xbox I could have purchased 6 new games, and honestly, I only keep it because it shows that my grandmammy lubbed me enough to take some kind of interest in what I enjoy.

I've been playing video games for 19 years now, and it isn't just an unreasoned hatred of the Xbox that drives me to condemn it. I carefully weighed everything that I could think of (system-exclusive games, reliability of the machinery, even the aesthetics of the console itself), and everything just added up and said, NO. Just no.

Of course, far be it from me to call you an idiot just because you don't agree with me, or say that you don't have any experience with other systems.

Ash1ey
May 31, 2004, 01:36 AM
heeyy i remember you... i think we played a few times on v2... dunno if you remember me though

Sitka
May 31, 2004, 11:22 AM
We could use more old-school players in the xbox PSO community. I've been fortunate to run into several while playing this great game and we now get together frequently and live chat about the good old days while taking down a pack of beasties. Live chat, although the lag sucks, is really a great feature for me. Having played the dreamcast into very high levels (all offline), the gamecube into high levels (all offline) and then finally deciding to go with xbox live and rediscovering PSO, I find the PSO experience, for me, to be best on the xbox. I do wish we had the greater community that gc has and I don't doubt that gc will continue to lead whilst xbox follows, but with so many high-level chars now on xbox, I'm going to ride this one out for awhile. If you do decide to join the xbox community, pm me and I'd be happy to introduce you to some of the old gaming community over here.