PDA

View Full Version : *feels like a noob*

Eihwaz
Jun 1, 2004, 03:26 AM
This is, of course, a quick PSO BB question. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Now, surprisingly, I managed to get PSO BB set up in about 2 days with a minimum of trouble (other than downloading the huge-ass patch).

And I'm playing it, etc. Question! How do you quick equip stuff? IE, being able to swap weapons without going through the menu. I coulda sworn it involved Control+Up Arrow...

Also, how can you tell appart all the random tools? I need to be able to tell what an "Antidote" is, so I can feed my Mag. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

*reads support thread*

Another question. When June 15 rolls around, do I already have everything I need to continue playing? I -already- have BB? The only thing is I have to start paying the HL?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eihwaz on 2004-06-01 01:39 ]</font>

Nai_Calus
Jun 1, 2004, 10:06 AM
Yeah, I was thinking last night after I told you to go put in your ID and download the patches 'Oh fuck, it's over 50 megs, won't be seeing Waz for a while.' >_>;

Hey, BB gives hope to the AOL people - I now know two people who have absolutely no problem getting on BB with dialup AOL, long considered the 'give the hell up' ISP of getting online with PSO.

The problem with the default keyboard layout, is that the same key is set to be both camera rotation AND the chat/quick menu. Guess which ones don't work.

They key setup I recommend, which is mostly intuitive after a bit of getting used to, is as follows:

A, S, D: Your action buttons, the equivalent of B, A, X on GC, which are currently left, down and right. Set them up in the same order as the arrow keys currently are. I recommend then customizing so that D is normal attack, S is Heavy, A is a 'mate or Resta, and the ctrl pallete and numbers are to your taste.

W brings up chat menu/quick menu.

Arrow keys move, of course, and are set as one would expect.

Number 0 on number pad changes camera angle.

You'll need, of course, to be able to figure out how to get to the options for changing your key setups... Somewhere in all these threads, I'm pretty sure that it's been covered. Once that's done, though, it should be pretty easy to figure out how to change your weapon/etc. ^_-; Got to figure out, though, if there's a way to manouver around in the menus without stopping - Currently I can't run and switch items at the same time, though it hasn't really been an issue yet. Eventually you'll probably want to get a gamepad. >_>;

As for items, Arislan made a great guide for that which is... Somewhere. *pokes* Ah, here: http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=83308&forum=1&10

Print that out, make it your bible, then go and learn katakana. XP

I've got an easy time in this game, I already read katakana, so items, weapons, armor, etc are all easily recognizable to me. >_>;

Anyway, read the support thread, read the FAQ, read the various threads, spend some more time with the GC version - The menu layouts are essentially the same until you get to 'team' or the config menus. Unfortunately it's going to be a bit sticky for you for a while, since you aren't used to online - Even without being able to read kana, I could still get around the chat menu and such from doing it a thousand times on GC. Hence I strongly recommend looking at the GC menus, all of them, especially chat since you're not familiar with it - All the options are there offline, you just can't use them, as I recall. That will help you immensely.

Good luck. :3 Your HUmar is still ugly. :3

cluw
Jun 1, 2004, 10:26 AM
On 2004-06-01 01:26, Eihwaz wrote:
How do you quick equip stuff? IE, being able to swap weapons without going through the menu. I coulda sworn it involved Control+Up Arrow...

Control and END for default controls.

PrinceBrightstar
Jun 1, 2004, 02:14 PM
Its not that hard to change the default keys in this game.

my layout is

movement: up down left right

upper button: w

left button: a

right button: d

down button: s

camera rotation: f

Now if only i could change ctrl to shift, i'd be happy.

Eihwaz
Jun 1, 2004, 04:11 PM
On 2004-06-01 08:06, Ian-KunX wrote:
Yeah, I was thinking last night after I told you to go put in your ID and download the patches 'Oh fuck, it's over 50 megs, won't be seeing Waz for a while.' >_>;

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Hey, BB gives hope to the AOL people - I now know two people who have absolutely no problem getting on BB with dialup AOL, long considered the 'give the hell up' ISP of getting online with PSO.

One of the few good things I've experienced with online games on AOL.

The problem with the default keyboard layout, is that the same key is set to be both camera rotation AND the chat/quick menu. Guess which ones don't work.

They key setup I recommend, which is mostly intuitive after a bit of getting used to, is as follows:

A, S, D: Your action buttons, the equivalent of B, A, X on GC, which are currently left, down and right. Set them up in the same order as the arrow keys currently are. I recommend then customizing so that D is normal attack, S is Heavy, A is a 'mate or Resta, and the ctrl pallete and numbers are to your taste.

W brings up chat menu/quick menu.

Arrow keys move, of course, and are set as one would expect.

Number 0 on number pad changes camera angle.

You'll need, of course, to be able to figure out how to get to the options for changing your key setups... Somewhere in all these threads, I'm pretty sure that it's been covered. Once that's done, though, it should be pretty easy to figure out how to change your weapon/etc. ^_-; Got to figure out, though, if there's a way to manouver around in the menus without stopping - Currently I can't run and switch items at the same time, though it hasn't really been an issue yet. Eventually you'll probably want to get a gamepad. >_>;

Nice block of text. The only problem is...I need to figure out where to go to change controls...>__>;

Oh well, until then, Control+End will do okay for weapon switching. Doesn't really matter...I only have one weapon thus far. XP

As for items, Arislan made a great guide for that which is... Somewhere. *pokes* Ah, here: http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=83308&forum=1&10

Print that out, make it your bible, then go and learn katakana. XP

Thanks much! I printed it out! Mag-raising, here we come! Er, where's a good, free place to learn Katakana? Will it take a lot of time?

I've got an easy time in this game, I already read katakana, so items, weapons, armor, etc are all easily recognizable to me. >_>;

Anyway, read the support thread, read the FAQ, read the various threads, spend some more time with the GC version - The menu layouts are essentially the same until you get to 'team' or the config menus. Unfortunately it's going to be a bit sticky for you for a while, since you aren't used to online - Even without being able to read kana, I could still get around the chat menu and such from doing it a thousand times on GC. Hence I strongly recommend looking at the GC menus, all of them, especially chat since you're not familiar with it - All the options are there offline, you just can't use them, as I recall. That will help you immensely.

I've already read the support thread...but I can read it again, I suppose. XD

Okay, the next time my sister needs to use computer, I can work on practising on the menus, or something.

Good luck. :3 Your HUmar is still ugly. :3

Hush, you. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Nai_Calus
Jun 1, 2004, 05:08 PM
Katakana? Eh, it's not too difficult. For PSO use especially, since your goal really is simply to learn how to recognize the characters - You don't need to write it by hand or anything.

Poke around on Google and you can probably find a katakana chart pretty easily. Should take a couple weeks at most to learn how to recognize them. *shrug*

And your HUmar is still ugly. :3

Arislan
Jun 1, 2004, 07:08 PM
Check the visual guide unhder the "How do I setup my gamepad" part. That'll show how the control menu is set up, and where it is. Should suffice for using the keyboard controls.