PDA

View Full Version : XP trouble

zimmk2vgc
Jun 2, 2004, 03:15 PM
I'm having trouble with Windows XP. The layout on my taskbar keeps changing when I log on. Im on Home edition here. I change it back, then when I come back, its still there. Any idea on how to solve this problem. I think it may be a virus and maybe some tampering with the registry may solve the problem, but I don't know where to look.

Any help would be appiciated.

Thanks

Kyros

Rich_T
Jun 2, 2004, 04:50 PM
where do you mean?
near the clock? or the main blue bar?

Link00seven
Jun 2, 2004, 05:15 PM
I think you've got some faulty registry stuff in there. You might want to download some programs and check for Spyware (adaware and spybot) and run an Anti Virus program. AVG is free http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

VioletSkye
Jun 2, 2004, 10:57 PM
back a few years ago when I was trying out the latest version of [**name removed by me**], I used to mess with people like that alot. Normally I don't waste my time with lamer, wannabe hacking programs like the client/server trojans but i was surprised to see how many idiots don't use a firewall or Antivirus. I used to change their wallpaper, print stuff out on their printer, open their cd tray (the standard bag of tricks that programs like that have built in.)

I'm not saying that you have a trojan, only that its a possibility. People need to realize that even if they have an Anti Virus program on their pc, it means NOTHING if the dat files (definitions) aren't up to date. If you have Nortons 2001 for example that hasn't been updated since 2001, you may as well not be running anything. If you don't have a current AV program, do as Linkooseven mentioned and get the free version of AVG (http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php). Then do a full system scan. If your pc comes up clean, then there are a number of things that may be causing that including a corrupt registry value. Give a little more detailed about what you mean when you say it changes. Is it moved? Quicklaunch icons different/changed? Give more specifics.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2004-06-02 21:21 ]</font>

zimmk2vgc
Jun 3, 2004, 04:38 AM
the bar, that by standard, appears at the bottom of the screen, the taskbar. The layout of it keeps changing back to having the seacrh assistant appear and appears to lose my setup. I can change it back, but when I come to log on again, It changes back.