PDA

View Full Version : Beating bad screens (xSOD, Corruption)

PaleKid15
Jun 2, 2004, 03:32 PM
Some other members and myself have expressed an interest in a "beating the screens" sticky. "The screens" being FSOD and BSOD. If you totaled the hours people have lost to these evil things and corruption, you would probably have a few lifetimes. So, we should really try to prevent more loss. I'm thinking that this, or something like it, could be the sticky so many could benefit from.

NOTE: The only help I can give is to GC EP1+2 players, so anyone that has tips for x-box and PC players please post any help you can give.

Topic #1= Online FSOD's and start-up freeze
If you freeze at overview of lobby, unplug the ethernet cable and you will disconnect with no penalty. When you FSOD, pull out the memory card and then mult-mode save. If you don't know how to multi-mode save, ask. (Note: This may not ALWAYS work) But you know what does? BACKING UP YOUR ITEMS. And please don't feed me "legit" BS, if you only use one copy, it won't bother anyone.

Topic #2= Offline BSOD's, several kinds
There are a few BSOD's I have encountered, and only one is unbeatable. The first one I'll talk about is the most common. The piping sequence BSOD. Mid-pipe, the screen goes black and an error pops up, but you can still hear the piping sound, but the disk has stopped spinning(also known as endless warp, usually against falz) Simply open the GC lid, and close it again. The disk should start spinning and then you will finish the pipe without any trouble. Then you can keep playing normally. The second one happens when the music is changing on P2, from you switching areas (bank, shop, hospital, guild...). The screen goes black and an error pops up. This fix doesnt always work (about a 65% success rate for me). The reder has gotten stuck, and it cant read the data, so, I just give the GC a few taps to dislodge the reader. The picture will come back if it works. The next one is similar to the last, the only difference is that you will still hear the music in the background. This ones a little tricky. The only way to beat it is to go through the menus without being able to see them, and save your game. wait about 5 minutes and turn the GC off. It should have saved your game. The other BSOD does not meet any of the preceeding descriptions and i have not found a way to beat it. Sorry.

Topic #3= Corruption
Method 1- Delete your guild card file
Method 2- Put in a non-corrupted memory card in slotA, get to the single/multi player screen and switch the card with the corrupted one and then pick a char and play. Then save, and you are no longer corrupted.
Note: If your system file or character file is corrupted, you're screwed.

Well, that's all I know about this stuff. Please post anything I didn't include. Thank you, hope this helps.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PaleKid15 on 2004-06-02 17:56 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PaleKid15 on 2004-07-05 15:19 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Arislan on 2004-08-17 04:19 ]</font>

RicoRoyal
Jun 2, 2004, 04:16 PM
Nicely done, PaleKid15. Just fix a few small spelling errors here or there and maybe it will get stickied. *hopes for sticky* And don't thank us, we are the ones who shall thank you. So, thanks for the help!

Vielka
Jun 2, 2004, 04:30 PM
good post.. im glad to see these kinds of topics.

Dhylec
Jun 2, 2004, 06:42 PM
nice tips for those who encounter such described problems..
this suits better in tech..

PaleKid15
Jun 3, 2004, 12:46 PM
On 2004-06-02 16:42, Dhylec wrote:
nice tips for those who encounter such described problems..
this suits better in tech..

Only problem is that no one goes to tech support... which is why I didn't put it here...

slickochet
Jun 3, 2004, 04:50 PM
so, what do you do with an online freeze screen of death if you dont use one of those gaming adapter jobs? what do you do if, like myself, your cube is simply networked with the other computers via an ethernet cable and hub?

Dhylec
Jun 3, 2004, 06:53 PM
On 2004-06-03 10:46, PaleKid15 wrote:
Only problem is that no one goes to tech support... which is why I didn't put it here...

that's kinda too bad
ppl gotta learn to know the forum better, it's not too hard to read the description underneath.. right?
also if other members ask about topics in this thread, link it here, i'll sticky this up for others to see it

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dhylec on 2004-06-03 16:57 ]</font>

PaleKid15
Jun 4, 2004, 10:59 AM
Thank you very nuch Dhylec.

To answer the FSOD without a lynksys reciever, Kef has said that whenever he FSOD's, he just pulls out the memory card and nothing bad happens. You might want to PM Kef for the details.

And here's another method to try. If you have a spare memory card with pso data you dont care about, or no pso data, then go online with a character from that card. Then unplug the ethernet cable. I'm guessing that would cause a disconnect (saving your data) but I wouldn't want you to lose anything in this experiment if I'm wrong. Actually... just to make sure, I'll try it and get back to you.

PaleKid15
Jun 4, 2004, 11:07 AM
Good news,slickochet- unplugging the ethernet cable is the same as using the linksys switch. It disconnects you and saves. You don't even lose your unequipped items, so no need for the multi-mode save. And thanks for the question, that answer should help alot more people than the linksys swich.

slickochet
Jun 9, 2004, 06:26 PM
thats good news, but im still unclear on something. if the game hits a fsod, its frozen, right? as in the program has locked up. so how can it detect a disconnection and save if its frozen? i cant be certain cause i have a head like a sieve but i think ive tried unplugging the cable after a freeze and having no luck. never disconnected or saved cause it was totally locked up

PaleKid15
Jun 11, 2004, 08:35 PM
the only FSOD I've seen that does not respond to the disconnect, is the one that occurs when switching lobbies, and that's why I said to always remove your memory card if the disconnect method doesn't work.

slickochet
Jun 12, 2004, 12:33 PM
fair enough. ill keep that in mind. cheers

heyf00L
Jun 22, 2004, 01:49 AM
If the game buzzes when it's frozen you are screwed. Otherwise you should be able to DC.
Also using multimode will not let you keep your items after an illegal powerdown. The only way to keep your items if if you went online and had never joined a game when you froze.
Lastly, putting in a corrupted card on the character select screen usually won't work. It all depends on what file corrupted. If your character file corrupted there is nothing you can do. If your system file, guild card file, or network file corrupted; this might can fix it.
I know that to fix a corrupted system file you can switch go to the option screen with a good card, put in the bad card, and hit B to back out and it will save.
Another way to fix a corrupted guild card file is just to delete it. ;D

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: heyf00L on 2004-06-21 23:53 ]</font>

Audrea
Jun 24, 2004, 09:35 AM
Mine still didn't work on the gamecube. I had a file corruption and I had a ton of rare items on it. That just overly pissed me off. So I tried that little trick and it still didn't work. It's probably because I had a 3rd member card. Went and bought an official memory card now, so hopefully it won't happen again. But I worked so hard for the rares and I hardly got to use them.

Audrea
Jun 24, 2004, 09:38 AM
On 2004-06-21 23:49, heyf00L wrote:
If the game buzzes when it's frozen you are screwed. Otherwise you should be able to DC.
Also using multimode will not let you keep your items after an illegal powerdown. The only way to keep your items if if you went online and had never joined a game when you froze.
Lastly, putting in a corrupted card on the character select screen usually won't work. It all depends on what file corrupted. If your character file corrupted there is nothing you can do. If your system file, guild card file, or network file corrupted; this might can fix it.
I know that to fix a corrupted system file you can switch go to the option screen with a good card, put in the bad card, and hit B to back out and it will save.
Another way to fix a corrupted guild card file is just to delete it. ;D

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: heyf00L on 2004-06-21 23:53 ]</font>

Ah hah! Okay, it was my character file that was corrupted, so like you said, no matter what I tried I was screwed. At least I tried. Owell...I'll just have to go looking for more Blade Dances'. Damn.

Marcian
Jul 4, 2004, 12:29 PM
Any hope for someone whose entire memory card is corrupted? I am playing PSO 3, and Topic #3, answer #2 didn't work. I refuse to submit to something so simple...

P.S. What cause this to happen? Why did it get corrupted, anyway?

PaleKid15
Jul 5, 2004, 04:56 PM
I don't play episode 3 (because it's not even a good card game), so I can't help you there. A few questions anyway...

1- What type of card is it? (59, 251, +1000)
2- How old is it?
3- Anything bad happen to it (get wet or something)?

BTW- More edits for this topic now.

Marcian
Jul 14, 2004, 12:10 PM
It is a 1016. It is about a month old. Nothing has happened to it, aside from partaking in a FSOD twice. It died later that evening!

PaleKid15
Jul 22, 2004, 02:00 PM
Well, theres nothing you can do to fix an entirely corrupted card. Sorry.

Kadavreski
Aug 9, 2004, 10:08 AM
On 2004-07-22 12:00, PaleKid15 wrote:
Well, theres nothing you can do to fix an entirely corrupted card. Sorry.

not excatly...i KNOW you can reformat the entire card, which saves you muchos money.....i'll go dig that up laters for you...

Agito_Master
Aug 19, 2004, 01:51 AM
when i corrupt i ussually blow the memory card and its fine again i have done this 4 times and it has worked every time http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Alli
Aug 20, 2004, 07:22 AM
I have a "beat-the-screens" story: I was trying to get my network adaptor to connect because it strangely refused to connect (probably a problem with our router or something) and I couldn't get it to work so I asked me room mate to come help me. They tried to connect, it wouldn't work, pressed B, and then the data SAVES before returning to the title screen. Well they turned off the Cube BEFORE THE SAVE FINISHED, even though the screen clearly says "DO NOT TURN OFF THE POWER or remove the memory card." Sure enough, when we turned it back on, the game said the card was corrupted and asked if I wanted to delete it. Well after I finished beating up my room mate, I came here and checked out the FSOD card-swapping trick, and it worked!!! You guys rock!!! I have no more guild cards, but at least I still have my lv 180 FOnewearl and all my items intact! Wow! I guess I got lucky since he shut it off towards the end of the save maybe. So here's letting you know that the trick works for idiots who turn off your Cube in the middle of saving too!!! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

darkholemind
Aug 28, 2004, 07:47 AM
I envy you my retarted brother did the same thing execpt I got TOTAL DATA CORRUPTION. System file, guild card file, and character data. MY huney was lv. 127 and i had worked so hard too. But my fonewearl is 115 now so im happy.

Anyways my question is this happened again to a lv. 36 fonewearl I had (execpt I did that one on purpose http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif ) I was testing the corruption on the guild card file. All that got corrupted was the gc file and when I deleted it and tried to play the offline single player it said I couldn't play cause I deleted the gc file. I didn't think that was supposed to happen?

Lonarwolf
Oct 9, 2004, 10:50 AM
Just as an added trick, if you character is completely corrupted, you might be able to load them up as a temporary character in the multimode. You can transfer your items to someone else before you format your memory card. I corrupted several times, but I was USUALLY (not always) able to save my characters items by loading him as a temp character and trading them over offline. It may not save your character, but it at least will save your items.

Just on a side note to that, however, use a nintendo brand memory card as the main card when transfering over the corrupted character's items. I used a nyko, and it worked fine, until i tried to trade them back over. the whole card was corrupt and i couldn't save the items. so, if all else fails, you can try that trick.

thrended
Feb 4, 2005, 08:58 PM
I heard someone corrupted when they switched languages. Has this happened to anyone here? Does anyone which files it would corrupt? I don't know about this game's files so I wouldn't know. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Thanks, I might like to switch to Japanese but I'm too afraid of it corrupting. >>

franticjohnny
Mar 16, 2005, 12:45 AM
Any tips for Xbox? I've been having the problem and just don't know what to do, I've had a couple of good items deleted because of it, like bloody arts and db's saber which is good at lvl 40 http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif and I want to know what to do before I get something good deleted.

dragoon-girl
Mar 21, 2005, 10:43 PM
On 2004-06-24 07:35, Audrea wrote:
Mine still didn't work on the gamecube. I had a file corruption and I had a ton of rare items on it. That just overly pissed me off. So I tried that little trick and it still didn't work. It's probably because I had a 3rd member card. Went and bought an official memory card now, so hopefully it won't happen again. But I worked so hard for the rares and I hardly got to use them.

Heh, I've used my Unoffical Card from game for ages.. and it Has coupted a few times, But, Yes, I have never lost a thing (other then unequiped items x_X)
It's quite simple really, I just turn off my Cube, turn it back on, Hold A, and go to the memory card screen, then take the card out and put it back in, it's worked Every time ^-^

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dragoon-girl on 2005-03-21 19:43 ]</font>

ForcefulFlare
May 14, 2005, 02:46 PM
I originally used an unofficial memory card just before I went online, but then I kept getting immediately disconnected and corrupted in the Hunter's Guild each time I tried to enter a team. It took me a while to realise I had to get an official one to play online...

Dana
Jul 27, 2005, 12:28 PM
my "unoffitial" memory card keep has currputed 2 times in 2 day(luck it's not Dana on that card *phew*)
i am just curious why?
*offline only too*

Ryna
Jul 27, 2005, 12:35 PM
On 2005-07-27 10:28, Dana_ranger wrote:
my "unoffitial" memory card keep has currputed 2 times in 2 day(luck it's not Dana on that card *phew*)
i am just curious why?
*offline only too*

How much did that memory card cost and who was the maker?

Dana
Jul 27, 2005, 12:44 PM
to Ryna
it's unoffitial, from......joy tech i think..i can go check...

it was about 5pounds i think

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dana_ranger on 2005-07-27 10:45 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dana_ranger on 2005-07-27 10:54 ]</font>

Ryna
Jul 27, 2005, 12:56 PM
I forget what the pound to dollar ratio is, but it sounds like it was very cheap.

Remember the old saying, "You get what you pay for."

Anyways, it would be best to discard that memory card and buy a new one.

Dana
Jul 27, 2005, 01:00 PM
On 2005-07-27 10:56, Ryna wrote:
I forget what the pound to dollar ratio is, but it sounds like it was very cheap.

Remember the old saying, "You get what you pay for."

Anyways, it would be best to discard that memory card and buy a new one.

well
i have 4 character on it, hmm, rena-ko said to delete the syste file and guild card as they could be the problem, and but other than that¬_¬

i might just cut my losses http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Ryna
Jul 27, 2005, 01:04 PM
On 2005-07-27 11:00, Dana_ranger wrote:
well
i have 4 character on it, hmm, rena-ko said to delete the syste file and guild card as they could be the problem, and but other than that?_?

You could always try that, but I would not consider the card to be reliable even if you do get your characters back.

Dana
Jul 27, 2005, 01:18 PM
On 2005-07-27 11:04, Ryna wrote:

On 2005-07-27 11:00, Dana_ranger wrote:
well
i have 4 character on it, hmm, rena-ko said to delete the syste file and guild card as they could be the problem, and but other than that?_?

You could always try that, but I would not consider the card to be reliable even if you do get your characters back.

i did get the back(twice)

Ketsueki
Oct 7, 2005, 06:35 PM
Ok so i tried every thing you guys and me and my frenid could think of it still didnt work should i just fuck it and get a new charachter.

tbmes11
Oct 19, 2005, 06:58 PM
hmmmm..... I use a 3rd party card and everything is fine. But your posts are starting to scare me.

Are there any ways to move the data from one card to another?

Dana
Oct 20, 2005, 06:34 PM
PSO data cannot be copied and pasted from card-to-cardDuping reasons IMO!

if it copied and deleted sraight after it would be ok, >.> anyways, people can dupe without that !!!

Sb
Jan 5, 2006, 03:50 PM
whats a multi-mode save? >.<

Dhylec
Jan 5, 2006, 05:30 PM
Sb wrote:
whats a multi-mode save? >.<

You can create a topic outside to ask this. This thread is mainly about FSOD & corruption, but since you already made it here, I'll try to answer it here. ;]
Your 'multi-mode' is most likely the offline multiplayer mode. In this mode, you can transfer characters to & from other memory cards. There is a saving for each transfer. Also multi or not, quitting the game means there is a saving.
Of course, if there is some unexpected happening while saving, like power off before finishing, pull out memory card, etc, here comes problems. Data file/s (guild card, character, network, ect) can be corrupted - one, two or all of them.

xxTrystanxx
Jan 17, 2006, 06:29 PM
Still no tips for Xbox FSOD, eh? It happened to me last night. Though the game was buzzing, so I bet there wasn't anything I could do about it anyway.

DeadlyForce
Jan 21, 2006, 06:55 PM
Too Bad I Read This Too Late... I Could Have Saved My Lvl 112 Hunewearl....*sigh* well.. at least I know how to fix it next time I get corrupted.. also, while my file was corrupted I was somehow able to use all my characters as if nothing happened, and by that i was able to save everything I had by transfering to my other PSO file, the transfer worked but it said my characters were not being transfered...weird..

Ennie
Feb 1, 2006, 06:20 AM
Some things for PC players out there:
When the game starts to lag ONLINE press Alt+F4 to prevent a crash and it automatically saves and quits, does NOT work offline (found out the hard way ;_;).
Strangely enough, when playing ONLINE and the game/pc freezes/crashes even without saving I don't loose anything (level, items, etc.). Boot up and everything's there, nothing lost. Not sure if this is the case for everyone, so keep the alt+f4 shortcut in mind!
Unfortunately I don't know what to do when the game crashes offline, as I seem to loose all the things I did and it reverts to how it was last time I saved.. If you feel like it's lagging and going to crash just quickly quit the game to save you progress, reboot the pc and play again. =)

Marshank
Jul 11, 2006, 10:43 AM
I'm putting this link on my menu, I've never had FSOD or BSOD happen, but if i do, I'm coming here, thanks alot!

Asuke
Jul 11, 2006, 07:02 PM
thanks

gw_epyon
Jul 25, 2006, 11:14 PM
Oh man...my first day on the gamecube servers after a year hiatus of pure offline pso playing earned me a fsod. I was sitting in the lobby attempting to type on that annoying on screen keyboard and fsod'd in mid sentence. I lost all my unequipped items because I just turned off my gamecube when I froze. (note there was no buzzing sound) Can other people fsod you? Also, if I had just pulled out my ethernet cable would I have kept my unequipped items (because I definitely lost a lot of stuff I had been waiting to equip)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gw_epyon on 2006-07-25 21:15 ]</font>

GalaxTheWanderer
Jul 26, 2006, 07:03 AM
Hey, I have heard of something called GSOD....Grants Screen Of Death.....My brother said it happned to him, and it was when the screen is completly white, and will not move from that spot. I have had it happen, too. Only on X-Box though. NEVER on GC. Any ideas? Been a while since it happned, only happned once in my life.

SStrikerR
Apr 6, 2007, 10:36 PM
F i wish i had known this before the week before my b-day. i got corrupted right b4 i logged out, and lost my legit 200 and my stuff, i dont have backups, or proxy or bladdidy blahh because i dont know how to use them and i really dont want to. would it be unlegit to hack my stuff back IF i could, or no? im just wondering.