View Full Version : Captain Clueless requesting some help

Olo-Eopia
Jun 4, 2004, 04:48 PM
I'm getting set to go online on my GC. I already have done it on my xbox, but my friend who refered me here has GC, and considering my brother owns a GC copy, and the GC has more options, I want to go online for GC.

I Know I'll need a HUnter's license, a Broadband Adapter? a game Adapter?

Other Info: I have a router, my ISP isn't Juno, Netzero, or AOL. I haven't really checked the FAQ, and none of it makes sense to me.

Could Anyone spell out the entire process for me?

Johan
Jun 4, 2004, 05:27 PM
You'll need a Broadband Adapter, yes; these generally cost $35-40 at game stores, at least in my area.

I'm not too sure of the other specifics of connecting with a router; I can't remember if you'll need crossover network cable or not. But if you have a router, it's definitely the Broadband Adapter that you need.

Rich_T
Jun 4, 2004, 06:06 PM
If you have a router, you will need a straight cable, and the game should be in automatic by default, so just try it and see what happens.
If it worked flawlessly with your X box, it will probably do the same with the gamecube.

JGaff
Jun 8, 2004, 03:23 PM
I'd be his friend. He wants to get online with Broadband. He needs to know what he'll need to get before he pitches the idea to his mother, who'll probably fall for it.

I think he mentioned that he didn't want to use the router idea because the Gamecube is in another room on another floor of the house, so he'll need a way that works without a router. I have no experience with this. I'd really appreciate if someone could spell out the entire process of conecting with broadband, and if possible, prices.

Ketchup345
Jun 8, 2004, 03:31 PM
Best way would be a wireless network.

It may be costly, but is probably the best way to have them on different floors, wihtout multiple modems.

Linksys has a Wireless Video Game netwrok adaptor, but it alone is about $100.

JGaff
Jun 8, 2004, 07:46 PM
Cost effectiveness would ne nice. I need something cheap and effective. The cube might be able to be shifted to an area near computers if that helps any. Again, keep it up with pricing and if it's easy. I'm no genius, but perhaps he knows a bit more.

Rich_T
Jun 9, 2004, 02:23 PM
My gamecube is in a separate room to my P.C, to get them both online on broadband i used the Router and long ethernet cable method.
depending on how good you are at stuff like cable laying its easy.
you will need to make some holes in the wall/ceiling/floor for the cables to go in.
basicly the ethernet cable goes up the wall, through the ceiling, into the ceiling cavity, under the floorboards upstairs, then to the room where the gamecube is located, the cable is neatly hidden away behind some white trunking.

method2 is the plug and unplug method

you need an ADSL router, and an ADSL internet service, as well as a phone line near the gamecube.
plug the router in near the P.C for use on the P.C, unplug it and take it to the gamecube for use on the gamecube.