PDA

View Full Version : Stabbed In The Back

Kupi
Apr 25, 2002, 07:54 PM
I honestly don't know where I got this idea. But I wanted to put it in writing, and this was the only place I know where I could publish it. However, I *did* make sure that there was PSO influence within it. A word of warning: it's a bit on the bloody side (though probably mild compared to some things).

---

It's an odd feeling to be stabbed in the back. And I'm not talking about my girlfriend dumping me. Guys who say stuff like that are overdramatizing their personal issues. I mean, I was quite literally stabbed in the back. And let me tell you something, it felt weird.

I didn't even see it coming. That stands to reason, actually. One usually doesn't see what's behind them. But I knew what'd happened the instant I saw the green photonic point come through my chest.

Photonic weapons are incredible things. On contact with pretty much anything, they vaporize it. This is usually an upshot, since they never get dull and you don't have to clean them, but for me it wasn't that great. After all, there was a lot of blood in the areas near my back, and it was all just disappearing into the blade that had stabbed me in the back.

Fortunately, that didn't go on for too long, as he took the blade back out rather quickly. It seemed like an eternity until he did, though. That's part of what feels weird about being stabbed in the back... you feel like every second is stretched into several minutes, giving you ample time to contemplate your demise.

I'd have to say that one of the most sickening moments of being stabbed in the back start when the blade is no longer going through your chest. See, without the photon blade to vaporize your blood, it starts to run out the hole and cover your clothes. I tend to wear white clothes, so I was a bit sickened by the way the redness washed down through my shirt from the top and started to drip off once the garment was soaked.

That eternity was a bit shorter than the others, though. I'd hardly noticed the blood flowing over my clothes when I started to fall. That took a while. I hit my knees first, then I collapsed fully. I honestly thought that I'd be dead at this point, but I was still going... driven by the thought that I had to get him back. If I stopped focusing on that thought, I was a goner. I had to get him back!

I heard him say, "No... leave him to the Sharks." I really didn't care who or what the Sharks were, but it was nasty. Just like him! I had to get him back for all of this. The stabbing, the leaving me to the Sharks... everything he'd done to me was wrong, and I had to get him back. And I had to live so I could get him back.

I had to get him back...
I had to get him back...

I had to get him back...

I h a d t o g e t h i m b a c k . . .

. . . . . .
. . . . . .
. . . . . .

...man, what a strange dream.

---

And there you have it. I don't really plan to continue in this kind of writing, but I'll appreciate any kind of feedback! ^_^

HUnewearl_Meira
Apr 26, 2002, 01:14 AM
As a matter of fact, that was just the slightest bit strange. But... I liked it nonetheless. Very descriptive, and qutie vivid at that. A somewhat obscure event to portray. Good show, old chap!

Kupi
May 2, 2002, 06:48 PM
Does anyone else have an opinion?

...did anyone else even read it? O_o()

I'd kinda like feedback on this, to know if an attempt at writing a fanfic would be a viable engagement. (general level of quality should be about the same)

War_Child
May 2, 2002, 07:49 PM
Nice! ^_^ Interesting intro o_O

BWS-1
May 3, 2002, 12:52 PM
general level of quality? I think you can't just rate a fic, or put it in a row with others and judge them. Each and every fic has it's own style (since each and every fic writter is different). And to be honost with you ... I like your style!

Next chapter : ''Shot in the knee-cap'' maybe? teehee http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BWS-1 on 2002-05-03 10:54 ]</font>

Ron
May 3, 2002, 07:39 PM
hmm well now I know what it would be like if I ever got stabbed with a photon blade O_o;; ...ouchie

Hikosaka
May 4, 2002, 02:59 AM
I think this would make a great intro into a longer fic...photon blades really hurt. O_o;;

I want to see more. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Kupi
May 6, 2002, 07:32 PM
Hiko's words inspired me... I guess I'll just have to continue this. ^_^ It won't get too long, though... I'll save length for my next fanfic.

---

I sat up in bed, rubbing my eyes. It was hard to wake up, as one usually finds it when they've had a disturbing dream. I had extra reason to be disturbed, though. My dreams usually came true.

That thought had come without me realizing it. I had to go back and "reread" it, so to speak. My dreams usually came true. I told myself that was silly. Any of the dreams that had come true were the ones about indigestion or tripping. People get indigestion and trip all the time. It could certainly be a coincidence.

I had to wonder, though. One has so many dreams that one doesn't remember during the night. How much of my life had I prophesied in my slumber?

My Simple Mailer beeped from the table in my apartment's living room. I've always found that beep annoying, and more so when it beeps to tell me to get out of bed. But I had to get up anyway, or else it would never stop beeping. I grabbed the corner of my bedsheets and threw it towards the opposite corner, which produced a light fluttering sound. That's one of my favorite sounds.

Still slightly groggy, I sifted through my closet for an outfit to wear. With my growing annoyance at the Simple Mailer's incessant cry, I ceased to care about what clothes I wore, so long as I could shut that stupid machine up sooner. My hands produced a hanger with a white outfit. I paused momentarily, but shook off the odd feeling and proceded to put on the garments haphazardly.

I couldn't stand it any more. Hardly remembering to actually open the door before trying to go through it, I ran to the table that sat in my living room, grabbed the Simple Mailer, and punched the "receive" button furiosly. At last, that horrid beeping came to an end!

The Simple Mail was from my friend. He wanted to explore the underground caves area because he was sick of beating up the Boomas in the forest. I still wasn't thinking straight, but I couldn't very well leave him waiting for my response. Hastily, I typed out an agreement and placed the Simple Mailer in my pants pocket. If my friend wanted to say anything else, I'd know about it.

I wasn't very good at hunting yet, and neither was my friend. As such, I hardly needed an item pack... but I decided that I should take it anyway. Always best to be prepared.

My apartment's door opened, I stepped through, and it closed. After locking it, and set off for our usual meeting point.

---

As always, feedback is appreciated.

Hikosaka
May 6, 2002, 09:45 PM
I really like what you've got so far. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif You've got a great writing style, very clear and descriptive. Write some more! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Kupi
May 10, 2002, 06:38 PM
Chapter 3. That's about there is to say. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

---

My friend and I met at our usual place: the weapon shop in the convoy ship Miranda, block 5. The meeting spot was of my friend's choosing. He has some kind of fixation with weapons. Weapons, what good are they? One good swipe from a Booma's claws and they're damaged, broken, or useless to you because you haven't got an arm any more.

Magic keeps going as long as you do. I find magic comforting, especially the warmth given by a forming Foie as it grows within your soul, finding its outlet through the arm of your choice, freeing itself upon the world at your command, yet at the same impossible to stop once you've started. Foie is my favorite spell.

We greeted each other wordlessly, with nothing more than a mere nod in each other's direction, followed by a mutual march in the direction of the the transport station leading directly to the underground caves of the planet Ragol, where untold horrors awaited us. We knew each other well enough to not need words. A good thing, too: my friend refuses to speak before, during, and after a hunt. I don't know why he does that, but it annoys me.

Why doesn't he talk during a hunt? Does he want extra focus? Does extra focus even matter to a weapon-lover? I thought magic was the only thing that required focus to use. Could he--

These thoughts had clouded my mind, blurring the trip to the teleport station. Like a pitifully programmed andriod, I had continued my endless trek forward until I had crashed into unmoved mechanical doorway that separated the common people from immediate attack on Ragol.

Still muted, my friend simply reached out a hand to the side. He wasn't even looking at me, with his head or his eyes. His hand simply reached out to help me. Gladly, I took it and pulled myself up. I ignored the chortles of the passing townspeople. This kind of thing happened to me all the time.

My friend and I presented our licenses to the guards. It was a mandatory ID check. You had to show them that you had passed special training courses that prepared you for hunting in general, as well as prove that you were appropriately experienced to enter the area you were trying to transport to.

My friend's license card had six green stars. Level six. Mine had two. My friend could enter the caves, I couldn't. At least, not on my own. Hunters were allowed to enter an area that they didn't have clearance for, if a cleared hunter was with them. My friend was cleared, so I could go along with him.

Transportation is an odd feeling. It starts even before they ship you off to wherever you're going, as the machine's pad starts to quiet in preparation and everyone around starts to stare at you. It seems to take an eternity, yet it happens in a matter of moments.

Then the floor drops out from under your feet. But only after you're blinded by a flash of light. You can see an endless stream of colors steaking past your eyes so quickly that it all becomes a blur. I believe that I'm one of the lucky few people who realizes this... the streak of colors and barrage of sounds is really everything you're transporting past, blurred by the incredible pace.

But then it's over. You're there, having travelled for an instant and an eternity.

I was there... in a cave of red stone and incredible heat. My friend and I exchanged glances, nodded, and stepped into the inferno together.

---

All feedback appreciated, from just about anyone. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Kupi
May 27, 2002, 06:38 PM
My apologies for the lateness in delivering this next chapter. I got wrapped up in other things. ^_^() Enjoy anyway!

---

The caves were deserted. Well, not entirely. There were puddles of green goo all over the place, but no signs of life. Just signs of ended life. I couldn't help but shudder at the sight of it all, but my friend just marched right on through. He's used to blood by now; I am not. It's something I'll have to learn to live with, at least if I ever want to be a good hunter.

I wondered: what was the point of all this killing? No matter how many of the beasts we slew, their numbers never seemed to decrease. Time after time, hunt after hunt, they never seemed to come in any less numbers. Where did they all come from? It didn't matter. They had to be eliminated somehow, or Pioneer 2 would never land. It was our job to kill, and we had to stick to it until it was finished.

A slithering, squishing noise like some giant, unseen mouth sucking saliva through its teeth filled my ears and wrent my thoughts from their previous position. Before us approached some odd sort of insect. A large insect. It had a green, scaled, serpentine body that hugged the ground for half of its length, then rose abruptly to levitate its head. And how many eyes there were on that head! Midway between the head and the lower body, two long, menacing, scythelike arms extended, ready to tear into its prey... us.

The beast, whatever it was, was slow but steady in its charge towards us with its four jointed legs. My friend took the lead, as he always did, in meeting the foe. The beast was certainly used to its own anatomy, as it swung a bladed arm from above at my friend as soon as the blow could possibly have struck. Unfortunately for the overgrown scuttler, my friend was quicker than its arm. With a single deft motion, my friend was under the attack and up again, swinging his photonic blade at the joint between the scythed arm and the bug's body, removing the chance of any further attacks through it. I say this because the arm, after having the blade swung THROUGH it, fell off and was immediately covered in a cascade of green blood that fell from the hole where the connection used to be made.

I shuddered on behalf of the monster, which seemed to be ignoring whatever pain it must have been experiencing. Indeed, the bug seemed more intent on killing my friend than nursing its wounds. In a move that took both my friend and I by surprise, it spat forth a web of semi-fluid that instantly covered my friend's ankles, sticking him to the spot. His back was facing the monster's front, a fact that the monster made great use of by recoiling its remaining arm back, ready to slash my friend through the back.

Time slowed down. It all happened in a matter of moments, but my perceptions were altered somehow. In desperation, I reached out my arm for a Foie attack. It felt like it was taking too long to get it to full charge... hurry! Hurry! At last, the fireball flew and landed... one second before it would be one second too late. The scythe stopped one inch from my friend's ribcage and flung itself into the air as the beast that swung it screamed in throes of agony.

I have mentioned that Foie is among my favorite spells. There is but one property of it that I don't like, and that is the fact that as magic fire, it cannot burn. As soon as it strikes it's target, it dissipates. It hurts like all torments one can imagine, but it doesn't cause sustained damage.

The beast stopped in mid-scream. My friend, having somehow freed himself from the goo (I hadn't noticed how that had happened, and an explanation was thoroughly out of the question), had taken one last solid swipe at the monster's midsection, cutting it precisely in two. The top half, pulled by gravity, slid to the ground. Viridian blood still spurted out of the two half-of-a-corpses for several moments before ceasing.

Then, a most odd thing happened: we heard tiny squeals eminating from the lower half of the slain beast. Casting shocked eyes upon the source of the noise, my friend and I couldn't help but choke on air at the sight of hundreds of miniature versions of the bug we had just killed crawling through its dead skin, attempting to escape from us. Instinctively, my friend and I went about killing as many as possible. My friend lunged with his photonic blade, causing the babies to disappear into the sword with tiny hisses. I couldn't enjoy this spectacle, as I was frantically burning as many of the little abominations as I could. Despite our best efforts, we couldn't eliminate any more than half of them.

How odd! A creature that reproduces in its own death! Perhaps that explains why Ragol had such an unending supply of monsters!

With a nod, my friend told me that we were continuing. However, I couldn't help but give the carcass one last look as we departed... such oddities this planet had within it.

---

There you go. As always, feedback is appreciated, preferably in the form of a post. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Kupi
Jun 6, 2002, 07:53 PM
Fifth chapter... that's all I have to say preliminarily.

---

My friend and I should have savored the fight with the massive insect, as it was the only one we got out of the local monsters. Whatever army stormed this area must have missed it as they went past. Any sign of life still in the cave was a sign of life past. That is, until we came across the large blue room.

It had some kind of grass or moss in it. My friend and I never got close enough to tell. There were people in the room, lots of them. But we never got to talk to them. Instead, we met the two guards. We couldn't see their faces, as they were hidden behind helmets. My friend had his vow of silence to keep, so I asked what was going on. The guard on my friend's side answered by drawing a photonic gun and shooting my friend in the heart.

It all blurred after that. When my thoughts became coherent again, I was running down a hall, holding my shield arm behind my back. In the back of my mind, I was glad that nobody can run and land a shot, which was what my assailant was trying to do. It was just the one that had shot my friend; the other was probably still guarding the group.

I turned down another corridor, trying to lose my pursuor. He still found me. And there was nowhere to run; it was a dead end. My dead end. No! I couldn't let it be that way. I had to keep fighting. If I gave up, I was dead.

I thought of my friend, how he'd died without a sound. He was slain so suddenly that he hadn't even the chance to give a death cry. I could not allow that to go unanswered. The rage in my soul burnt to the surface. I let it do as it would, simply letting my arm be a conduit for its appearance.

A blazing fireball burst towards him, but he was agile. He quickly dodged to the side, releasing his gun. It disappeared into the flames, leaving him helpless... so it seemed. As I said, he was quick. In an instant, he was next to me, and landed a well-aimed kick to the fleshy area between my ribs and my pelvis. I turned with the attack to lessen the impact, but that left me facing away from him. I heard the dull hum of a saber coming to life.

And then he stabbed me in the back.

---

You can't possibly have read *that* and have nothing to say, so please reply!

Hikosaka
Jun 9, 2002, 03:17 AM
And so the circle closes. I really liked how you brought it all together...is there more to the story? If not...write more! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

BWS-1
Jun 10, 2002, 11:47 AM
I like the way it all turns out O_o makes me read it all over again trying to understand more when it's ends that way, freakin cool http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Kupi
Jun 11, 2002, 08:56 PM
One more chapter.

---

Why didn't I listen?!

It's an odd feeling to be stabbed in the back. And I'm not talking about my girlfriend dumping me. Guys who say stuff like that are overdramatizing their personal issues. I mean, I was quite literally stabbed in the back. And let me tell you something, it felt weird.

This is exactly how I saw it...

I didn't even see it coming. That stands to reason, actually. One usually doesn't see what's behind them. But I knew what'd happened the instant I saw the green photonic point come through my chest.

I was warned, but I ignored it...

Photonic weapons are incredible things. On contact with pretty much anything, they vaporize it. This is usually an upshot, since they never get dull and you don't have to clean them, but for me it wasn't that great. After all, there was a lot of blood in the areas near my back, and it was all just disappearing into the blade that had stabbed me in the back.

I cursed myself for my folly.

Fortunately, that didn't go on for too long, as he took the blade back out rather quickly. It seemed like an eternity until he did, though. That's part of what feels weird about being stabbed in the back... you feel like every second is stretched into several minutes, giving you ample time to contemplate your demise.

Could I have prevented this?

I'd have to say that one of the most sickening moments of being stabbed in the back start when the blade is no longer going through your chest. See, without the photon blade to vaporize your blood, it starts to run out that hole and cover your clothes. I tend to wear white clothes, so I was a bit sickened by the way the redness washed down through my shirt from the top and started to drip off once the garment was soaked.

Did I hear footsteps? ...did they matter?

That eternity was a bit shorter than the others, though. I'd hardly noticed the blood flowing over my clothes when I started to fall. That took a while. I hit my knees first, then I hit the ground fully. I honestly thought that I'd be dead at this point, but I was still going... driven by the thought that I had to get him back. If I stopped focusing on that thought, I was a goner. I had to get him back!

Focus... that was my salvation in the dream, and it would save me now... I had to focus!

I heard him say, "No... leave him to the Sharks." I really didn't care who or what the Sharks were, but it was nasty. Just like him! I had to get him back for all of this. The stabbing, the leaving me to the Sharks... everything he'd done to me was wrong, and I had to get him back. And I had to live so I could get him back.

Keep your focus!

I had to get him back...

But... my thoughts were unfocused...

I had to get him back...

But I was going to die!

I had to get him back...

But I was never going to...

I h a d t o g e t h i m b a c k . . .

It was dark...

. . . . . .

A single thought pierced the darkness.

. . . . . .