PDA

View Full Version : Mag rare finding question

XboxBaller
Jun 4, 2004, 11:24 PM
is it true that if u use a hacked mag u have no chance of finding a rare. let me kno thanks guys and gals

HiroX
Jun 5, 2004, 02:30 PM
No, it is a myth to try and get people to stop using hacks. Hell, I've found a yamato, a mahu, and some other rares while using my hacked Tapas mag (1308)

Zinger314
Jun 5, 2004, 02:35 PM
I am 99.9% sure that it DOES affect drop rates...

(It explains why I couldn't find a 7/8 drop...8 times!)

Arislan
Jun 5, 2004, 03:16 PM
No, not a myth.
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=83304&forum=4&5
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=83461&forum=1&17

True for PSO Plus and for XBox. Please, PLEASE, get your facts correct before you post and tell someone otherwise.

Zinger314
Jun 5, 2004, 03:54 PM
On 2004-06-05 13:16, Arislan wrote:
True for PSO Plus and for XBox. Please, PLEASE, get your facts correct before you post and tell someone otherwise.

In those two links, you didn't post facts per se, you just posted what has been discussed. We don't know how it will affect it, and you said it yourself, we need more testing.

I've tried to do FiY runs on Very Hard, so I can test to see if the 7/8 drop still works with a hacked mag in the bank while wearing a lv. 200 Mag...so far, I still haven't found an Al Rappy. Stay tuned.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zinger314 on 2004-06-05 14:01 ]</font>

XboxBaller
Jun 5, 2004, 07:28 PM
Well when i started the game a guy gave me 4 hacked mags and a soul banish and a stag. i lost the stag but still ahve the others.

I AM AS OF RIGHT NOW GONNA GIVE THE MAG AWAY TO SOMEONE AND USE MY LEGIT MAGS HE GAVE ME. I started wondering what was goin on when i wuz lvl 61 and didnt find a rare.

I found a photon drop today in episode 2 off like the robotic box thingy. I wuz using my legit gear. Now im gonna go all legit for good.

Thanks all of you for ur help.

Siris
Jun 5, 2004, 09:27 PM
There isn't a real answer to this question right now. At leaat anyone can back up with solid evidence. It's all speculation.

Arislan
Jun 5, 2004, 09:57 PM
In the case of PSO+, it is confirmed that rare rates are altered. It is NOT confirmed as to the extent that they are altered. XBox is still up in the air, but it is looking like rates are affected the same.

Zinger314
Jun 6, 2004, 12:49 PM
After some deliberation, I can hypothesize that Arislan's theory would be correct about only the leader having the 1308 mag would affect the drop rate. A few anecdotal evidences would support this claim...but I won't say it, as it would incriminate me.

In the mean time, I'll do some FiY runs in search of an Al Rappy again. (Fortunally, my FOnewm can do it much faster than my FOnewearl.). As soon as I see a Al Rappy, I'll unequip the mag and see if I get the rare.

Siris
Jun 6, 2004, 08:18 PM
Bad research, how is this going to tell you anything?

Sitka
Jun 7, 2004, 10:52 AM
The problem with anecdotal evidence is that it is shite. The old "9 out of 10 doctors's recommend" is not good enough to confirm or disprove any theory.

Short of ST or Microsoft confirming that they have taken specific steps to control hacking/cheating, one has to use the scientific method to test given claims or theories. This requires statistical gathering and careful control of all variables.

I have been engaged in just such testing for the past few weeks and I expect it will take many more weeks or months to collect enough statistical data to confirm or disprove the "affected drop rate" theories.

Just some of the variables to consider are the presence of a hacked mag on the team leader, a member of the team, in the team leader's bank, in a team member's bank, the presence of a hacked weapon (127%, stacked, 100% hit, unusual special, etc...), the presence of stacked items (mates, fluids, stars, etc...), hacked armour/shields/units, etc.... In other words, there are multiple variables that may or may not be involved and considerable testing is required to give more confidence to any theory.

Thus far, I would suggest that statistically the drop rates when hacked mags/weapons are introduced into the game, appear to be significantly lower than they were before these items became so prevalent. Since we have confirmed that ST has taken specific steps in the case of Blue Burst and since we know Microsoft's ability to produce patches to known software problems, it stands to reason that there may be a change on xbox drop rates involving one or more variables.

The easiest solution is to throw the old "scientific study" in the trash and just play the game the way it's supposed to be played: 100% legit. The problem is that many, if not most, new players are tempted to use the hacked items to get into the game more quickly and have a reasonable chance of playing a respectable game early. These new players are not always cheaters or bad folks, they just don't know any better yet.

Personally, I like to encourage the newer players and teach them some of the things I know about the game - encourage them to play legit. Solid information supporting my assertions or theories regarding the influence of hacked weapons/mags in the game may convince them to change their ways, play legit and keep this great game going a little longer for all of us.

So Zinger, the fact that some rares may drop occassionaly for you when you're using a hacked mag may or may not suggest there is no affect on the drop rate. At some 50 million+ cumulative experience points, my observations tend to support that there is. We should both continue to gather information both offline and online and see where that leads. When I play with my friends, however, I continue to play legit as I don't want my little experiment affecting their chances of getting a good find.

Corey
Jun 7, 2004, 03:20 PM
Hello?

People ripped the disc already...

Usually doing that makes it possible to find out ratios and hex...

The reason Sonic Team doesn't confirm it is because
PSO+ is in Japan only...

and

well, theyre lazy and stopped truly 'supporting' Xbox