PDA

View Full Version : FanFic: Solstis: Chapter 8: Destruction: The Ultimate Refres

Solstis
Jun 7, 2004, 06:46 PM
Story to begin next post.

I'm starting with longer chapters, hopefully I can keep it up.

And yes, Solstis may die, or "Swan Song" may refer to something else.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2004-07-13 11:31 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2004-07-16 10:22 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2004-07-23 11:58 ]</font>

Solstis
Jun 7, 2004, 06:51 PM
Chapter 1: Echoes of the mind

With every footstep, the snow seemed to be softly calling to him... like a mother whispering to her newborn child, or a proud father murmuring encouragement to his son or daughter, the snow spoke to him.

Die...

It insistently whispered.

...die

With every footstep, Solstis felt a small part of his life ooze away, the cold slowly sapping his strength. It was as if the Profound Darkness itself was luring him into death.

Not only that, but his travels had come to the point where he found walking a strain on his befuddled mind.

"Left foot, right foot, left foot, r..."

Solstis looked up from his feet and at the sunlight that strained to penetrate the thick clouds overhead.

"Now... that foot facing the endless snow is my left one, and the other is obviously my root... raht... froot.... ugh...."

Solstis sighed and wiped a fine layer of snow off of his forehead. The hunter, as far as he knew, was somewhere in the middle region of Ragol's southernmost continent. A long ways back, his "All Weather" compass had frozen, leaving him with nothing but instinct to guide him, and he could only guess.

Along with the compass, anything that he carried that was based on photon technology now lay in the drifts, useless in the severe cold.

His small pallash collection, his mechguns, and countless other small items were strewn along the wastes.

"The wastes... that's what this place should be called."

Muttered Solstis, still conversing with the clouds.

Not as if Solstis had needed any of it anyway. The only creature that he had encountered was a darker, shorter version of the rappy, and more often than not, the birds had run away on first sight.

He wouldn't have minded, though, if he had something to fight.

Or to talk to.

---

It wasn't that Solstis had been growing old, but quite the opposite. Though few left alive knew exactly when Solstis was created, whatever lab reports remained suggested that he was about 60 years old.

However, Solstis looked to be about 30, and this fact distressed him. The hunter found him self distanced from his peers, who grew ever older, and even stopped talking to his "brother" Makar, who Solstis presumed to be on some mission for the "Lab" again.

Around a few months after Makar had left on his mission, Solstis began to dig for information and attempted to locate him. Through the use of heavy bribery and force, the 60 year old hunter discerned that Makar's last mission was to a place that the Ragolians had dubbed "Dezoris."

And so, Solstis took a small hoverskiff out to the cold wastes, hoping to find his fellow experiment.

---

Solstis eventually blundered into a small building hidden into the drifts, semi-concealed by piles of snow.

It had graceful, curved columns that connected to a breathtaking archway. The entire structure appeared to be made out of one solid block of ice, an engineering marvel to be sure.

As Solstis walked closer to the building, his footsteps insistently reminding him to die, the structure seemed to exude a sensation of pure cold. Not the cold of the icy air that surrounded Solstis, but one of foreboding doom.

Thinking in his foggy mind of deadly zombie rappies and of boomas that spit gibarta, Solstis walked up to the building's doorway.

It too appeared to be made of out one sheet of glass, and it shocked Solstis when it split into two halves and opened with a loud swoosh.

Immediately, Solstis noticed the comfortably warm air. The ice that covered his clothes seemed to melt away almost instantly, and as the water pooled at his feet, he could not deny his body a shiver.

Solstis peered around the room, which appeared to be a foyer, with astonishment.

"This thing is... a lot bigger on the inside."

Solstis jumped when a voice answered him. At first, Solstis couldn't make out the language, but after a few tries, the voiced seemed to correct itself.

"Hello, wanderer."

Directly in front of Solstis, a black form issued forth from the ground. The form slowly took shape, and eventually looked to be the outline of a cloaked man.

"What business do you have here?"

Solstis stammered out a quick answer that even he could not comprehend. The form seemed to tilt its becloaked head in response and raised its hand in a speculative gesture.

"What do you seek, wanderer?"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2004-06-27 08:18 ]</font>

Tani
Jun 8, 2004, 03:00 AM
Starting off with snow = me interested http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously though, this is a good start. I like the writing style, very descriptive. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

Solstis
Jun 8, 2004, 09:52 AM
lol, thanks http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif.

Yes, we all need some snow every now and then!

Zzzzzz
Jun 8, 2004, 11:24 AM
Very interesting...

Keep it up! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zzzzzz on 2004-06-08 09:25 ]</font>

Solstis
Jun 9, 2004, 04:35 PM
Um... yeah.

I'll, unfortunately, be out of town for about two weeks+, and thus unable to add to this fic.

Barring a sudden stroke of genius, I also doubt that any installments will be added before I leave (Friday).

Sowrry!

The fic will eventually (hopefully) be finished by, er, August?

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Solstis
Jun 26, 2004, 09:19 PM
I told you guys that I was working on it!

---

Chapter 2: Consultation With the Enemy

"I.... I'm looking for my brother... Makar."

Solstis barely managed to stammer out. Beads of sweat began to gather on his forehead, whether they were there due to the heat or his nervousness, Solstis could not tell.

The shadowy shape raised its left arm to where Solstis imagined its forehead would be. It appeared to be in deep thought, and every few seconds, it would tap its foot.

"Hm..." it suddenly uttered. "Records indicate that 'Makar' has stepped foot inside this facility before."

Solstis had mixed reactions to this announcement. On one hand, it meant that he was one step closer to finding his brother. On the other, Solstis' worst fears were beginning to become realized.

"When did he come here, and where did he go to next?"

The shape merely gestured with a wave of its hand at a previously unseen door behind it. Solstis, assuming that he was meant to walk through it, bowed to the entity and walked to the threshold.

On examination, the door, for one that had not existed until now, appeared to be normal. It had the look of the barriers often used by Pioneer 1 in the forests, except for the odd marking on the face of it. It resembled many of the characteristics of Coral's language, but seemed to be a drasticly different variation of it.

The best translation that Solstis could guess at, phonetically at least, was Ditts.

"Ditts... that sounds awfully familiar. But where did I hear of this before?"

Seeking what answers lay beyond the door, Solstis reached for the switch that sat next to it. It was roughly the same as used by the Coralians, and Solstis tapped it, knowing that leaving a switch untouched is a major offence. At least, according to the Hunter's Manual as stated in Section 3, Chapters 1-4.

The door, after emitting a loud groan, slowly opened, revealing a winding stairway that was eerily lit by small photon torches. The walls seemed to be saturated with moisture, and as proved by Solstis' hair, the air was uncomfortably humid. Putting his mild discomfort aside, Solstis plunged into the unknown without hesitation, leaving the stark cold lands of Dezoris behind.

---

After a few minutes of walking, Solstis was jarred by the sound of discordant laughter. It appeared to be coming from every direction, and for a moment, left the hunter disoriented on the one way stairwell.

To the slightly disoriented Solstis, the voice reminded him somewhat of Makar... and at the same time, of something dark and sinister. It dredged up all of the hunter's memories that featured those that had fallen under darkness' sway. Solstis could almost taste the fear he felt during those beats lost in the Ruins all over again.

At least he had friends with him, that time. Then again, though Solstis, most of them were dead by now.

Reminding himself of his mission, Solstis snapped back to attention and continued walking down the steps. Each time he moved his legs, he had to fight the rising fear within his soul. It was an arduous process that threatened to shred away Solstis' loose grip on his sanity.

The laughter began to distort and warp itself into a personalized message for Solstis. It began to call for him, luring him into the darkness that lurked below. Or, rather, within and all around.

Solstis... I've been waiting for you....

Come to me now...

Come...

And suddenly he was there.

Before Solstis lay a once mighty wooden door, now split into a multitude of pieces. The scattered remains bore the marks of fire in some places, and ice in others, as if the attacker had been driven mad with impatience.

Attempting to ignore the still tempting laughter, which now was ever louder, Solstis gingerly stepped over the door.

"Solstis!"

Solstis flashed the smirk of one who has sensed his own demise looming nearby.

"Makar... it's been a long time."

-----------

Chapter 3 will be up when I'm done

I plan on it being dark... >-<

Solstis
Jun 28, 2004, 02:36 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif Please bear with me through this somewhat tedious chapter, I promise that the next will be better!

---

Chapter 3: Behold the Chaos

Finally, Solstis angled his head up and stared at what his brother had become.

It was a chaotic scene. Exposed wires lay about the room, shooting sparks in a constant stream of wasted electricity. Surrounding a large dais were several large tanks, much like those found in the mines... but these seemed to be made of technology long lost.

In fact, the entire room was built in the same architectural design as the Ruins, or spaceship, rather, minus the pulsing walls. Imposingly, the room was large and cavernous, with the ceiling curving into a massive dome, the top of which was obscured with the distance.

Makar himself stood in the middle of the dais, surrounded by a pattern that only could have been created by intense flames. Makar himself was dressed in a strange grey robe that Solstis supposed that he had found in some dusty corner. His once blue hair was now a gray that fit his robe, and only his eyes, now a vibrant yellow, stood out. At his belt he wore two swords, which he appeared to have gotten from a collection of weapons that littered the floor. The handles, Solstis could even tell in the distance, were ornately designed, and were mostly likely enchanted with runes.

"Makar... what have you done to yourself?"

Makar chuckled in response.

"It's not what I did, but what those scientists failed at. I merely finished the job."

"What... what do you mean?"

Solstis shouted back, all the while readying himself for a technique. Ice began to curl at his feet as if alive, gathering itself in preparation.

"With these machines left behind by a the ancient Espers... well, rogue ones, anyway, I have increased my mental capacity to unimaginable levels!"

Solstis continued to gather ice while answering.

"Why? You were always adept at techniques, and your previous voice was much easier on the ears."

Makar laughed again, this laugh just like the one that had gripped Solstis' soulso.

"Techniques... HAH! I have complete control over the elements... attaining ultimate powers.. magic is what your kind would call it. "

Solstis ruefully smiled.

"Na... BARTA!"

The ice that had been coiling around Solsti'? legs suddenly ascended his body, joining in his outstretched palms. Simultaneously, Solstis' naturally blue hair and eyes began to be flooded with tinges of silver.

"... rrrrr aaagghHHHH!"

As soon as Solstis let out his yell, the ice gathering in the air and in his palms coalesced into a massive ball that quickly jetted towards its target. As it traveled the distance, the humid air around it froze, leaving a trail of sparkling crystals under it.

Makar smirked.

"Rigis would be disappointed with your sloppy handling of that technique."

Without moving, Makar conjured a massive fireball above his head, the only indication of his having done anything was a quick flash of light in his eyes. For a brief moment, it hovered above him before hurtling into Solstis' attack.

The mist that was created out of the impact obscured Solstis' vision for a few precious moments. He could hear the footfalls of his brother, but due to the enormity of the room, his usually perceptive ears could not locate his foe.

"Behind you!"

Before Solstis could turn around, a dark purple ball slammed into his back.

Cra...

---

"We will see if you are truly a 'hero' brother... or not but a weakling! Your time of ascension has come, and either your ultimate strength or final demise is at hand! The Darkness seeks yet another hand, can you provide it?"

---

Chapter 4 will be written to Metallica, so there may be some better results.

Chapter 3 was to Evanescence (sp?), and Chapa two to Hoobastank.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2004-06-28 12:36 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2004-06-28 12:37 ]</font>

Swan
Jun 28, 2004, 02:38 PM
does this have anything to do with me?

Solstis
Jun 28, 2004, 02:41 PM
On 2004-06-28 12:38, Swan wrote:
does this have anything to do with me?

Please don't spam in my fic topic.

I actually thought that this was a reply by someone that read my fic.

Uh, and it refers to that one apocalyptic horror novel, "Swan's Song" by someoneoranother.

Sagasu
Jun 28, 2004, 03:01 PM
Wow..

You have a truly awesome style of writing http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Length is just right, descriptions are just right, and it has a plot that keeps you hooked inside the story. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Over all an amazing piece of liturature, to be sure. Keep going! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Solstis
Jun 28, 2004, 04:12 PM
On 2004-06-28 13:01, Sarunakai wrote:
Wow..

You have a truly awesome style of writing http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Length is just right, descriptions are just right, and it has a plot that keeps you hooked inside the story. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Over all an amazing piece of liturature, to be sure. Keep going! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Thanks Saru... na... key?

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

I'll probably get around to reading your novel, er, chapter sometime today.

Solstis
Jun 29, 2004, 12:26 PM
Chapter 4: Madness Becomes You

Solstis awoke to find himself on his skiff, hovering across the waters of Ragol.

Wait, where am I, and how did I get here?

The last I remember, Makar had just attacked me from behind...

Then the last words that Makar spoke came to the Hunter.

"The Darkness seeks yet another hand, can you provide it?"

Solstis looked down at his own shaking hands.

What the hell happened to me?

Suddenly, a shaking fit took hold of Solstis' body. Feeling sick, he leaned over the edge of the hover vehicle and stared at the water.

His reflection shocked him. It was not that his hair had gained a color, but lost all appearances of it. On occasion, Solstis' hair lost its pigment while casting straining techniques, but never before had all traces of color been lost.

His brother's talk of machines, experiments, and changes were merely unnerving him. At least, that is what Solstis told his mind to convince himself, an attempt to remain some trace of his sanity.

It wasn't working. Solstis sat down on the floor of the skiff, trying to go over the events of the day. But, for some reason, he could not recollect exactly what had happened after that ball of megid had hit him.

"Of course you can't!"

"Who... are you inside my head?"

"Quite obviously. I am the 'you' that was always supposed to exist. The manifestations of all your hidden, dark thoughts... those actions that you never dared to do, but yet tingled with joy at the mere idea of."

"I don't know why you're bothering me now, but I'm not a cold killer...?

"You were supposed to be. Besides, you're talking to yourself right now! How do you know if you're not making up this whole conversation? Anyway, there's going to be a border patrol up ahead, and they're not going to be happy to see you. Just a friendly warning."

True enough, when Solstis looked up from the floor of the skiff, he saw that he was nearing a harbor. From the docks, Solstis picked up the stench of burning flesh, definitely not a good sign.

On the shoreline, he could see a group of hunters gathering, apparently forming a search party. Either that or a mob. Solstis noticed that they were carrying weapons and photonic torches, another bad sign.

"The hells? Since when can I see this well in the nighttime?"

"One of the many benefits of being tainted by darkness!" The voice cheerily interjected.

"You know that they're looking for you, or to be more exact, your 'brother.'"

Solstis clenched and unclenched his fists.

Makar...

Solstis was snapped out of his thoughts by a cry from the shore. The hunters, by now, had spotted him, and were after vengeance.

The thought that a skiff coming FROM the icy continent frightened them, and left them afraid of what other horrors could come from that land.

---

"Sergeant, what if it's just a civilian?"

Asked a young ranger armed with a sniper rifle. He had only joined the Hunter Guild's Reserve Core a few weeks ago, not expecting to actually face combat. To his misfortune, odd creatures had begun to attack smaller towns around Ragol, and the Hunter?s Guild was called up to combat the beasts. Rumor placed the blame on a manifestation of the Profound Darkness, an entity once used to frighten children in tales.

"You know the military's orders... we have to shoot everything that moves after curfew."

A battle hardened hunter replied, nearly spitting out the words in disgust. He had spent his early years as a Hunter combating the oppressive military, not taking orders from it. The Hunters had sacrificed so much only to be in this submissive position again.

"Take the shot Maeltos. You know your job."

Maeltos reluctantly knelt down to a crouched position and zoomed in on the skiff. Oddly, he put down his rifle instead of taking the shot.

"Sir, it's... empty!"

Before the sergeant could reply, he heard shouts coming from the Hunters closer to the shore. A blurry shape was mixed within the ranks, tossing explosive techniques at incredible speeds.

"Mael! Take the shot!"

"...Yeesss sir!"

---

Solstis lost himself somewhere. He was quite aware that he was fighting some sort of enemy, but he felt like an observer in this battle.

In this lax state, he watched as a HUmar prepared to split him in two with a Durandal, only to have the blow parried with a quick kick from Solstis' body. With the momentum of the kick, Solstis planted his kicking foot on the ground, spun, and delivered a side kick to his opponent's chest, cracking a few ribs. To seal the deal, a ball of megid flew into the man's open mouth, quickly ending his life.

"Behind you!"

Solstis' body quickly spun around and summoned a storm of Zonde strikes on the area, hoping to cause the sniper to lose focus.

It worked, at least for the moment, but he sensed that the sniper and his accomplice had moved on.

"Ooh! I feel giddy! This body may prove to be useful after all!"

Solstis suddenly felt control of his body snap back to him. He fell to the ground, his body felt drained of all energies. Tempted to see what destruction he had caused, Solstis surveyed the grisly scene.

The bodies of many Hunters lay broken on the shores, more than a few looked to have been engulfed in a massive, fiery explosion. Others, like the Durandal wielder, appeared to have had their souls plucked away by a certain purple cloud.

Solstis rolled over to his back, thoroughly exhausted.

"I... I can do this?"

Solstis lethargically asked the slain.

"Oh yes, and more!"

----

Good 'ol Metallica! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Who wants to bet that Maeltos will appear more times in this fic?

*ooh! me!*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2004-06-29 10:27 ]</font>

Sagasu
Jun 29, 2004, 05:33 PM
Yay! Solstis has gone insane and has started the ravage the countryside! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

Who knows what will happen next! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sarunakai on 2004-06-29 15:34 ]</font>

Solstis
Jul 12, 2004, 01:32 PM
The bulk of this was written on the cruise.

---

Chapter 5: Lifting Darkness?

The endless plains stretched out before him. Something inside of Solstis, perhaps what remained of his now fragile soul, told him that his brother lurked ahead.

He stood in the middle of a lonely road, surrounding by not but shadows and echoes of the dead. Solstis had not seen any living creature since the battle on the week, which he presumed to be about a week ago.

Fortunately for Solstis, he had come across a small cache of food on a freshly slain corpse, providing him with some meager sustenance. But by now, his supplies were running desperately low, and he could sense the presence of Biomonsters around him.

He could sense them, apparently, because whatever transformation he had undergone had augmented all of his senses. Solstis' newfound sensitivity was now even beyond that of a typical newman, or even those of an "elite." At first, however, the slightest of noises and the slightest light would set Solstis at edge, but over time, he had become accustomed.

Oddly, the voice, or Deef, as Solstis had dubbed it, had not tormented him during the last few days. However, the possessed constantly felt the icy tendrils of Deef at the back of his mind. He was always present, always taunting in his silent way, forever threatening. The mere thought of being taken over again nearly drove Solstis mad.

---

Whilst deep in his mental struggles, Solstis' ear caught the sound of screams somewhere nearby.

Deciding to at least scavenge for scraps of food or monomates, the "hero" sped towards the general direction of the disturbance. As he neared, Solstis felt that the screams were coming towards him at a fast rate, and not away as he had first presumed. Pondering over this, Solstis nearly did not notice the two points of light that shone out in the distance.

It never occurred to Solstis that it was still dark at noontime.

After a few betas, Solstis could make out the outline of a medium sized hovercar speeding towards him. Ambling alongside of it there appeared to be several four legged creatures, moving in and out of the shadows in a phantom like nature. Every few beats, someone from within the car would fire a few shots at the creatures, missing every time.

"Time for some luck."

Solstis stretched his hands out to the skies and furrowed his brow in concentration. After a few moments, the air took on the appearances of a dramatic change in polarity, as evidenced by the odd reactions of Solstis' hair. The creatures, ambling ever nearer, began to sniff the air warily.

Alright, let's see how many of them I can hit.

Almost formulaically, Solstis closed his palms and drew his hands into his body. As he drew them in, a torrent of jagged lightning struck down around the hovercar, creating a massive flash that could be seen for miles.

After the "storm," the hovercar crawled to a halt, assumedly disabled by the high concentration of energy. Solstis ran the short distance quickly, all the while counting the number of still smoldering corpses.

1... 2... 3... I counted at least 5 before!

Almost on cue, Solstis heard a low growl emanating from on top of the hovercar.

"Dang."

-----------------

Can I use miles?

Solstis
Jul 13, 2004, 01:30 PM
Chapter 6: By the Hells!

Solstis sized up the situation. Apparently, one of these red, giant, frog-like creatures had jumped on top of the hovercar to avoid the zonde strikes. An intelligent move, no less, that displayed the creature's capacity for tactical thought.

Another interesting point that ran through Solstis' mind was the craftsmanship that went into the car. Not only could the frame withstand the weight of the creature, it was built like a tank with view ports on the side for easy sniping.

While his mind was deep in thought, a basic instinct made him reach into his belt and pull out a recently requisitioned saber. With a dull 'psshh' the weapon ignited, somewhat brightening the area with a dull green glow.

As Solstis engaged the weapon, the frog monster jumped down from the roof of the vehicle, its rubbery arms outstretched at the man. It, as the pack's whelp, felt the need to prove its prowess.

With one fluid wave of the saber, Solstis cut the monster's forearms at its elbows. A green goo sprayed out of the soon to be carcass as Solstis planted his right foot on the ground and spun, slashing the airborne creature in two. And with that, the creature's ambitions ended.

Where the hell is the other one, I can't sense it!

"Ribbit!"

Something hit Solstis in his midsection, sending him flying into the hovercar. He grabbed his chest in pain and felt a sticky substance that actually bound him to the side of the vehicle.

From inside the vehicle came the stirrings of its occupants, by now jarred out of unconsciousness.

Solstis then looked up at the biomonster. It seemed to grin at him in response, sure of its victory over the manling before it. It ambled closer, preparing to lunge at its now helpless prey.

*"So, you do need me, huh?"*

*"Draw from me, feed from me, and you can easily destroy that creature!"*

Solstis felt his body and mind slowly go numb. The substance apparently acted as a poison, not only disabling the opponent, but killing him over time.

"But... what if I lose control and kill the people in the car too?"

*"Does it matter? You have a mission to fulfill Solstis! You must destroy your brother, and to do so, you must destroy all in your path if necessary!"*

*"They are nothing compared to you!"*

Solstis suddenly felt his veins become pumped with energy, flooding his every pore with power.

His mind now clear, Solstis cast a low level RAbarta, freezing and breaking his gooey imprisoner.

Solstis then slowly stood up, his fists clenched.

"You damn monsters!"

Before the creature could react, Solstis punched it in the face, driving his hand into its forehead. Inside of it, Solstis forcefully spread his fist open and gathered energy for a RAfoie attack.

He felt no pity for the biomoster as its charred remains splattered, coating Solstis and the area around him.

Oddly, even after the target was dead, Solstis did not feel the darkness subside. It still held on to his mind, guiding his actions. It was with a remorseless mind that Solstis calmly strode up to the vehicle, saber in hand.

Zzzzzz
Jul 13, 2004, 03:54 PM
Whoa! I forgot about this! I'll have to read it later, though.

*saves*

Sagasu
Jul 13, 2004, 09:52 PM
*comes back from much vacationing*

Awesomeness!

Both of the two chapters where really a good read. Leaving the reader with a thirst for more.

*sips up more fan-fictions*(

Solstis
Jul 14, 2004, 12:58 PM
Thanks!

If Saru liked it, or even pretended to, I must be on to something.

The next chapter will be completed after my brainstorming is over.

Hm... plot twists, plot twists.

Sagasu
Jul 15, 2004, 12:02 AM
On 2004-07-14 10:58, Solstis wrote:
Thanks!

Oh come now.. My opinion isn't that important.

Do you have a more specific time in mind? Or shall we remain blind as to when to expect another chapter?

Solstis
Jul 15, 2004, 08:09 PM
On 2004-07-14 22:02, Sarunakai wrote:

On 2004-07-14 10:58, Solstis wrote:
Thanks!

Oh come now.. My opinion isn't that important.

Do you have a more specific time in mind? Or shall we remain blind as to when to expect another chapter?

Oh, the next chapter? It's done, but not "done."

Fleshing out and such is necessary. Barring strange occurances, tmmrw sounds great.

Sagasu
Jul 15, 2004, 08:10 PM
Ah, I understand.

dont rush yourself..

Solstis
Jul 16, 2004, 12:21 PM
Chapter 7: Fallen Souls and Machines

A tall, locust like creature stalked through a field of swaying grass. It was one of the few surviving biomonsters that had been released by Makar, the others having been gradually hunted down by a concentrated military and Hunters Guild effort. It now searched Ragol's plains for food, scavenging through abandoned homes and vehicles.

It twitched for a moment, having heard a distinct *click* coming from somewhere behind it. This creature was classified as a Type 4, one of the most dangerous classes, due to its great sense of hearing and mobility. Before it could react, however, its head exploded into a shower of green fluids, a testament to the power that a sniper rifle could pack.

Behind the scope, a scowling Ranger cursed under his breath. He had nearly given away his position, a definite "no-no" when it came to professionals.

"If I'm going to kill that man, I'll have to get better. I will find and destroy him!"

His voice sounded scratchy as if from disuse, and it looked as if he had not bathed in days.

Frowning, the Ranger stood up with an effort, his joints and muscles sore from having lain down for so long. His uniform was dirty and tattered, revealing his light Ranger's armor underneath. Also, the sniper?s Section ID looked to have been pried out of its customary location, an obvious sign that he no longer followed the Hunter?s Code.

A cold wind blew in from the south, revealing his name plate. It read: "Maeltos."

---

Solstis walked casually down yet another dirt road, his arms behind his head in a relaxed manner.

"Sir, would it be best to not stay out of the open?"

A short, blue painted RAcaseal cradling a Varista queried.

Solstis tilted his head back, revealing what may have been a smile.

"Possibly."

After Solstis had finished off the frog creature, he had rushed into the hovercar in a bloodthirsty rage. However, his rage abated after finding a RAcaseal standing over two men slain in a distasteful manner.

She later explained to Solstis that the two men stole the android from her original master, deactivated her, and planned to sell her on the market. The electricity storm had somehow revived her, giving her a chance to kill the two, she gratefully explained.

The RAcaseal also revealed that her name was "Anti," which led to a long conversation about the definition of an irony. After the conversation concluded, the RAcaseal decided to follow the slightly deranged man.

As she stated in her own words "I would gladly kill people for you... Master."

This utterance led to another long conversation about titles. Eventually, both settled on "Sir." By her refusal to address Solstis by anything other than master or sir, Solstis guessed that Anti was an older model, possibly of an original line from Coral.

Anti ignored Solstis' casual reply and turned her head to their left. Solstis stopped walking and followed her gaze, trying to see what lay in the distance.

"Sir, my sensors detect a small military patrol heading in this direction. I suggest that we slay them with great haste before continuing on your quest."

*"I like her!"*

Shuddup, you.

Instead of voicing his opinion, Solstis grinned at the android and ignited his saber.

Solstis
Jul 23, 2004, 02:12 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif Maybe not the best chapter, but here goes!

-----

Chapter 8: Destruction: The Ultimate Refreshment

The 31st Intercept Squad of Ragol's Army was well accustomed to chaotic situations. Its leading officer, Lieutenant Brooks, was a survivor of two Hunter rebellions and one general uprising. Though he himself held a somewhat sympathetic view towards the Hunters, he had a family to feed, and thus, never rejected an order from high command.

When the order came to "take down" a rogue HUmar, Brooks knew that he would need some serious firepower. He commissioned his squad to utilize the recently modified Anti-Tank Rifles (now sporting a heavier payload), Sniper Rifles, and Suppressed Guns in case of close range combat. Also, the soldiers under his care sported Heavy Combat Armor (HCA), a combination between the HUmar?s and RAmar?s gear.

According to the plan, the advance team, ten strong and wielding Assaults and Busters (advanced versions of the photon saber and mechguns), would stalk through an expansive field toward the target to draw him out. The support team, six strong, would lie on a small hill above the field and snipe the target from above.

That was the plan, at least.

---

Solstis dashed through the field to what he knew to be an ambush. However, the adrenaline that surged through his body overwhelmed his doubts, propelling him forward.

Solstis' ears erupted with the noise that came with the front lines' opening gambit. The soldiers hoped to pin him down with photon bullets to restrict his maneuvers. Unfortunately for the soldiers, they had not counted on the Hunter's reckless nature.

Solstis charged into the line of soldiers while sending a continual surge of Resta through his body. Though the photon bullets were too weak to penetrate his modified armor, Solstis knew that a few would find unprotected areas of his body, possibly disabling him.

Solstis could worry about fully patching himself up after the action was over.

The first soldier he killed was in the lead, most likely a sergeant by his insignia. Solstis rewarded his hard life of training with a horizontal slash from his left elbow to right. For a moment, the two warrior's eyes met, locking in a brief in a glance of mutual understanding. Either that, or the Sergeant was attempting to kill Solstis with his mind.

Enraged by the slaying of the officer, a young private ignited his buster, hoping for a quick kill from behind. All of his training had prepared him for this moment, and in his head, the private pictured a ceremony in his honor.

The result of his movements was a churning ball of Foie to the stomach, instantly melting away the private's HCA. In a somewhat lucky turn of fate, the fire completely consumed the private, ending his life in a vaguely painful manner.

After disabling the private, Solstis javelined an Assault wielding soldier in the face, and before the others could react, sprayed down another with the sergeant's weapon.

*"This is great Solstis, I wish we could do this everyday!"*

The madman had killed four members of the advance team before the support group could even draw a bead.

---

Private Helms, a man of great courage and honor when it came to battling simple-minded creatures, balked under the pressure. As his bunkmate Johnson was speared in the head, showering Helms with blood, the man's short life flashed before his eyes. Luckily for him, it was a quick ordeal, giving him enough time to turn tail and run.

The others followed suit, hoping to draw the Hunter into the range of the sniper rifles. Due to a tactical error, which was later revealed by historians, the soldiers had marched a bit too far into the field

"Anti, kill the runners. I have snipers to deal with."

Anti nodded her robotic head and took aim. Though the Varista's range was typically limited, advanced combat androids were known for increasing the range of weapons by utilizing a system of sensors that was considered to be too complicated to be described. And so, Anti had no problem dispatching the six survivors with her hunk-of-junk Varista pistol.

In perhaps a saving grace, the photonic death saved Private Helms and the others from the traumatic mental conditions that they would have surely developed otherwise.

---

"Sir... we've lost the target."

A young sniper reported to Brooks.

"Well then, the obvious solution would be to find him, correct?"

Before Brooks could fully berate the soldier, the head of a specialist rolled past his feet. On a quick glance to his left, Brooks saw the enraged HUmar a few feet away, and by the looks of it, preparing to strike at him.

"Mells! Now!"

Brooks grinned as he sidestepped, the missile flying past him and towards its target.

Sagasu
Jul 23, 2004, 10:39 PM
I wish I had a voice in the back of my head telling me to do evil things! Why does Solstis get all the luck? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Some interesting battles, not to mention character development. Keep going, if you would be so kind.

So sorry its taken me so long to get back to your ficcie here, but I had a chapter in my own begging to be completed http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Solstis
Jul 23, 2004, 10:57 PM
On 2004-07-23 20:39, Sagasu wrote:
I wish I had a voice in the back of my head telling me to do evil things! Why does Solstis get all the luck? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Some interesting battles, not to mention character development. Keep going, if you would be so kind.

So sorry its taken me so long to get back to your ficcie here, but I had a chapter in my own begging to be completed http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Thanks... Saru, aka "monkey"

I might actually start reading other people's fics now, as I need some time to rethink/retool the current storyline.

Sagasu
Jul 23, 2004, 11:03 PM
On 2004-07-23 20:57, Solstis wrote:

On 2004-07-23 20:39, Sagasu wrote:

Thanks... [insert solstis saying something mean here]

I might actually start reading other people's fics now, as I need some time to rethink/retool the current storyline.

A wise decision. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

Hopefully your journey provides fruit for thought http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif