PDA

View Full Version : OH NO!!!! HELP MY COMPUTER DIED!

tippygcn
Jun 10, 2004, 11:32 AM
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but my computer is seriously messsed up and I need advice.
Today, I accidentally closed Chkdsk when it was on the /r parameter.
First it said My hd was corrupt and/or unreadable. Now it says the parameter is incorrect and the propertites say 0/0 used 0/0 avaiable. This is a 200 GB hd and it was set at NTFS but is now at RAW.
Easy Recovery Pro is finding stuff under the raw recover option. What should I do now?

tippygcn
Jun 10, 2004, 11:51 AM
Please....
I'm desperate.
=[

Alielle
Jun 10, 2004, 12:13 PM
Get a new HD? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Getintothegame
Jun 10, 2004, 01:04 PM
Format? :|

Actually, looks like you might have to get a new Hard drive.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Getintothegame on 2004-06-10 11:07 ]</font>

Arislan
Jun 10, 2004, 01:51 PM
Well, no, you can likely repartition it again, but you are very very likely going to lose any data thats on it. Try partition magic or something of that ilk. Probably your best bet there.

burnningthings3
Jun 10, 2004, 11:41 PM
My dad just reformated ours to much crap ( mainly my little brother downloading stuff). So we had to reformate. Lost lots of stuff :'(

Para
Jun 11, 2004, 07:13 AM
well why did your hdd corrupt in the first place? get a new hdd imo.

tippygcn
Jun 11, 2004, 12:00 PM
Easy Recovery Pro found 120/160 GB of my files yet, I don't have another Hd big enough to move it too because I stall can't access the Hd. Any suggestions? My dad says he'll look at it but says Chkdsk is a horrible prog for fixing errors on the disk. Is this true?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tippygcn on 2004-06-11 10:06 ]</font>

geewj
Jun 11, 2004, 12:06 PM
Set that HD up as a slave and pull the files you need off of it, then format?

tippygcn
Jun 11, 2004, 12:08 PM
How can I tell its slave? Go into bios or check the juimper switches?
*Note* This is a Second HD (d:). My OS is on my 40GB hd (C:).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tippygcn on 2004-06-11 10:23 ]</font>

geewj
Jun 11, 2004, 12:19 PM
Change the jumper switch on it it slave with a primary, and then make sure BIOS has it as a slave.

But you need another HD with a operating system installed on it for this to work.

At least I think that should do it. I honestly don't know all the extensive details about computers.

Para
Jun 11, 2004, 12:49 PM
chkdsk is ok...
What happens is that chkdsk will convert all your fragmented files from the corruption to chkdsk files.
Now if you know what files you have and etc. There's a good chance you can find out what is what by using various programs on them.

Example:
If your hdd had tons of mp3s, you can use windows media player or any other player to play the files. The files that are playable of course are media files.

If you have image files, you could try using a picture viewer program to view those files. Sorta like viewing txts as pictures.

However there's a good chance you can't recover some files because they're truncated by chkdsk.

Hmm so basically you can't read anything from the hdd?

tippygcn
Jun 11, 2004, 01:52 PM
Hd (d:)
Upon click - "Drive is corrupt or unreadable."
File Sys type (In Explorer)- RAW (Formerly NTFS)
Hd size - 200 GB (180 useable[20 for sys],160/180 used for anime,hashes,manga,Ost,ect.,120/160 found in Recover prog[all file names lost]).
In Partition Maghic - Hd is recognized, File Sys is NTFS.
Files - Avi,jpg/png,mp3,ect.
Conclusion - Dad - Fat damaged?? Me - Windows refuses to read disk?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tippygcn on 2004-06-11 12:25 ]</font>

Link00seven
Jun 11, 2004, 04:57 PM
http://www.bootdisk.com

Go there and download a copy of Win 98 SE Bootdisk. Run the program, it'll put the bootdisk on a floppy.

Goto the screwed up PC, and insert the disk.

Once it loads, run the program FDISK. Goto "Delete Partition" and delete the Partition currently on the hard drive.

Then, create a new PRIMARY partition. Once thats complete, exit FDISK and restart.

Load up the PC again with the disk, and once it loads, run "format c:" and allow it to format. Once thats complete, install the OS of your choice http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

EDIT: If that dont work, maybe some of the sectors on the Hard Drive are bad. I have a laptop like that, and it tries to fix them while reformatting, although I dont know if it works or not--the damn reformat is still going (3 hours later...)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Linkooseven on 2004-06-11 15:00 ]</font>

tippygcn
Jun 11, 2004, 05:06 PM
No no no,
I can reformat or repartition if I need to do so.
What I'm asking is if there is another solution.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tippygcn on 2004-06-11 16:57 ]</font>

tippygcn
Jun 11, 2004, 08:16 PM
Is there no other solution besides reformat/repartition?

Link00seven
Jun 11, 2004, 08:24 PM
I dont believe there is. I just experienced a simular issue today with my aunts laptop, and I had to reformat/partition.

Sorry http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Blenjar
Jun 11, 2004, 09:52 PM
Try running the OS's recovery cd, not to reformat but to recover missing or deleted files, if you got xp, use xp cd or so on.

Tell me why it got corrupted and what got corrupted, how did it happen.
I might be able to help.

If you want it fix fast, look for a computer engineer kid in your school or work or w/e.

tippygcn
Jun 12, 2004, 07:40 AM
Repartitioned =(