PDA

View Full Version : Obesity

anwserman
Jun 10, 2004, 08:56 PM
You know, get off your fucking ass PEOPLE.

That big bag of chips in your right hand, and your left hand holding a controller in a stenchy, stained couch won't help with your physical appearence. So get off your ass and GO OUTSIDE and STOP COMPLAINING TO ME AND STOP MAKING MY LIFE HELL IN THE FUCKING, UTTER PROCESS.

You're probably wondering why I'm ranting about this. No, its not about people complaining to me about my weight, but the fact that I've lost so much (pounds lost > 42) and it just pisses me off. I used to think that when people say that America is overweight, I'd always look at what the media gave me, beautiful people 24/7 essentially and thought that the statistics were false.

Now, through my latest trip through weightloss-ville has opened my eyes, that the majority of Americans are fat, yet don't do ANYTHING ABOUT IT. I look at all of the people I see, and they're all fat essentially, or overweight. Including myself. But the point boils down to the fact that no fad diet will work (did somebody say Atkins), and if you want to lose the weight you'll have to exercise. Don't have time? Don't complain to me or use it as an excuse, BECAUSE IF YOU REALLY WANTED TO LOSE THE FUCKING WEIGHT YOU'D MAKE TIME FOR IT YOU BASTARD!

Gah, get off your fat ass people. Wonder why nobody thinks you're attractive? Look in the mirror, count the rolls on your stomach and then come back to me with the final count and I'll give you that many reasons. Assuming you can count that high, that is.

Solstis
Jun 10, 2004, 09:02 PM
Hey, this is exactly (somewhat) what I was thinking.

After a recent trip to Italy, where carbs are king, and not seeing ANY obese people (except for tourists), I started to wonder.

Then, upon my return, I went to a Chinese Buffet (not immediately, a day afterwards) and noticed, well, the astounding number of "large" people.

Not to mention that people seem a little less attractive, but that's another story.

Americans are fat and/or lazy, and quite frankly, Atkins ain't worth shit the paper it was written on.

Then, we have the nerve to complain about it!

[Edit]: Obligatory >_>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2004-06-10 19:03 ]</font>

Sayara
Jun 11, 2004, 12:04 AM
On 2004-06-10 19:02, Solstis wrote:
Americans are fat and lazy

That sums it up Right there. People around here are getting spoiled. With all this stuff that does the things they use to have to do bythemselves.

A Good Example here would be Lawnmowers. What use to be Major Excecise for the child (since Kids do it for pay usually... bein the honest souls) lugging that huge mower around they're yard is now as easy as driving it around in their spiffy new Lawnmower Car. (I dont know its real name deal with it <<)

America is getting Lazy and its getting them Fat, and the Media/People/Society/EVERYTHING isn't helping.

WraithVerge
Jun 11, 2004, 12:14 AM
Dennis Leary said it best...

I could never be a fat guy. One. Simple. Reason. The day I wake up and I can't see my dick, I STOP EATING, OKAY!! ... I have to see my dick first thing in the morning!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WraithVerge on 2004-06-10 22:17 ]</font>

Garanz2
Jun 11, 2004, 06:46 AM
On 2004-06-10 22:14, WraithVerge wrote:
Dennis Leary said it best...

I could never be a fat guy. One. Simple. Reason. The day I wake up and I can't see my dick, I STOP EATING, OKAY!! ... I have to see my dick first thing in the morning!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WraithVerge on 2004-06-10 22:17 ]</font>

Amen http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

AYY-BEE-CEE
Jun 11, 2004, 10:26 AM
Wow...you Americans really are VERY shallow.

Nai_Calus
Jun 11, 2004, 10:34 AM
On 2004-06-11 08:26, AYY-BEE-CEE wrote:

Aren't we? :rolls eyes at people in thread:

Let's just forget things like genetics, metabolism, the handicapped, those who really CAN'T make time out of their schedules for exercize, etc... Oh yeah, that fat bitch in the wheelchair is fat because she's too lazy to exercize. Nevermind that she's paralyzed from the chest down, she's just too lazy!

God, you people are a bunch of asshats.

Oh, and % chance of people ranting against fat people in this thread being fat themselves: 99.9%.

Grow up.

geewj
Jun 11, 2004, 10:59 AM
On 2004-06-11 08:34, Ian-KunX wrote:

Let's just forget things like genetics, metabolism, the handicapped, those who really CAN'T make time out of their schedules for exercize, etc... Oh yeah, that fat bitch in the wheelchair is fat because she's too lazy to exercize. Nevermind that she's paralyzed from the chest down, she's just too lazy!

Yeah, that's about it.

Also note that just because someone is fat doesn't mean that they are complaining about it or even want to change it.

"But...doctors say is you BMI is to high then it is unhealthy and dangerous". Yeah, well they also say not to smoke, but people don't seem to give a damn about that.

HUnewearl_Meira
Jun 11, 2004, 11:10 AM

Oh, and % chance of people ranting against fat people in this thread being fat themselves: 99.9%.

Grow up.

Genetics and Metabolism are no excuse. I am a quarter Norweign-- a Northern European race that adapted to the cold by developing a low metabolism to keep them chubby enough to withstand it. I'm also an eight Cherokee, who had low metabolism, just so the energy would last with their extremely physically active lifestyles.

Now, I sit in a dark room for 8 to 9 hours a day, working on a computer screen. My day is thoroughly busy with sedentary activities. When I'm not at work, I usually have someone bugging me to do something else, that generally isn't terribly active.

I am currently losing 1 to 2 pounds a week. As opposed to the 2 or 3 pounds a week I was gaining when I started this job.

Why is this? I've improved my diet, and I've worked exercise into my schedule. You'd be surprised at how absurdly easy it is to get a bit more exercise than you currently do. For example-- Do you absolutely HAVE to have a parking spot that's a mere 35 feet from the front of the grocery store? Park a few more spaces away. The extra 8 feet you have to walk for each parking space further away that you park can only help you. That's just one example. A bit more exercise can be worked into the things you do already. Personally, in addition to that sort of thing, I like to play DDR at every opportunity, and because the weather's been getting warmer, I've been at my parents' place, swimming nearly every weekend since last month; and I'll be in there all day, more or less.

Improving your diet to cut down on the things you KNOW are going to mess you up will help, as well. Those grease-ball burgers may be tasty, but they're not going to improve your weight problems. You can do without them. Try making a simple sandwich, instead. Mind you, I'm not telling you to abandon Jack In The Box altogether. You just don't need to be eating there everyday.

Plus, as far as people in wheelchairs go... Honestly, most of the people I've seen in wheelchairs aren't fat-- and I've seen quite a few. Those things take a lot of upperbody strength to move around in by yourself. Those I've seen who have motorized wheelchairs are typically so physically screwed up that they really aren't capable of eating enough to make them fat. The only visibly chubby person I've seen confined to a wheelchair was an older gent who evidently broke his back in some variety of accident, which I believe occured at a concert.

I am, of course, ignoring the two or three people who are in wheelchairs or riding around on those little pedestrian cart things for old people, because they let themselves get too damned fat. All right, it's hard to feel sorry for a dramatically obese person in a motorized wheelchair, when they've got a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken in their lap, and grease on their cheeks-- No matter HOW much they're complaining that they need a Pepsi.

So no, Genetics are no excuse for a bad attitude. We are born with bodies that are capable of quite a bit. Even Physically Challenged people have their own Olympic Games. The least a chubby person can do is get off their fat ass and get some exercise, because THAT is the problem. Not genetics, and not metabolism. Only the rich, and sometimes the elderly were fat a hundred years ago, and it was because people lived lives that required them to get exercise. Not because of genetics or metabolism.

This, "I can't!" philosophy won't get anyone anywhere, because You can. You may think you've hit your limit, but you'll often find that you can push yourself a little bit further. I've had occasions where I was physically in pain, but still managed to push myself to finish what I was doing. Not everything comes easily, and if everything does come easily to you, then you're not trying anywhere near hard enough to accomplish what you're trying to do. You think I got across the entire pool underwater by shooting my head out of the water the first time my lungs started complaining? Hell no! I told those shitheads, "Hey, kiss my ass, I'm getting across this pool first!"

Personal discipline, dammit. If you don't have it, you'll inevitably end up being fat. That's just the way it works.

Scejntjynahl
Jun 11, 2004, 11:43 AM

Grow up.

Ok, good point. But consider this then, if we follow your reasoning. A drunk driver shouldnt be held liable when he runs over, crashes, or causes some form of damage. He/she couldnt help it, I mean, its not their fault their body couldnt handle the alcohol, right? Or how is this one for you, a person who has schizophrenia (spelling?) goes on a killing spree because he/she forgot to take medication, or never knew they were schizo to begin with, should they be punished? Ah, oh yes, this one also: Lets say you know of a great Elementary School teacher, best their was.. no problmes whatsoever in his/her 20year history in the school, but for some reason or another he admits been a pedophile... would you still let your child attend that school?

Well? You brought up the issue of genetics, handicaps, and what not... but there are so many instances and special cases that I am quite sure the author of this thread was "generalising" the "normal" status quo people that dont suffer any of these "special" circumstances...

geewj
Jun 11, 2004, 11:56 AM
Again, I think that the main problem with everyones argument here is that they assume that "fat person 17" is complaining about it and is trying everything short of effort to change it.

What's wrong with being content with it?

shifter
Jun 11, 2004, 12:12 PM
theres nothing wrong with it frink, being, whether chosen or just grown up that way, fat is just a way of life now adays. granted it may be unhealthy, but what isnt these days? now ive been known to make fun of some fat people, but if they were truely unhappy with there appearence, they would lose weight, but since they dont you have to assume that they are happy with themselves. stop trying to force fat people to lose weight, its like trying to force someone to be in your religion, its wrong.

Scejntjynahl
Jun 11, 2004, 12:15 PM
On 2004-06-11 09:56, Prof_Frink wrote:
Again, I think that the main problem with everyones argument here is that they assume that "fat person 17" is complaining about it and is trying everything short of effort to change it.

I think the author meant the people that were "complaining". Again you and Ian are extrapolating the original intention of the post. Drawing specifics from a general statement.

HUnewearl_Meira
Jun 11, 2004, 01:20 PM
On 2004-06-11 09:56, Prof_Frink wrote:

The problem isn't being generally fat. The problem is the attitude involved in the kind of fat person that Answerman is refering to. The, "I'm fat, and I can't help it" personality is not one that is beneficial to anyone. That's the same thing as saying, "I'm incapable of change. I am incapable of bettering myself, so therefore I deserve pity." Well, I'm not buying it, and from the sounds of it, Answerman isn't buying it, either-- and he's coming from the point of view of someone who has gone through the effort to lose weight.

And y'know, I don't care what anyone says. The simple fact, is that you feel better when you're not obese. You can't be content with being obsese. There's nothing cheery about riding around on a motorscooter intended for the elderly, with your gut hanging out of the bottom of your Mumu (unfortunately, I have personally seen someone like this). If you can be content with having that sort of a body, then you're probably not a very pleasent person to be around. It's one thing to have a little bit of a belly, but when you let it get so out of hand that you get winded just by walking around, something needs to be done about it, and I'm not talking about using a device to make travelling easier.

geewj
Jun 11, 2004, 02:31 PM
Ah, well if it's a "pity me cause I'm fat" thing we are discussing, then I can agree for the most part, as I am short on pity for much of anything.

Liquid_Bacon
Jun 11, 2004, 03:39 PM
Great posts, people. I have one thing to add - a quote that applies to, among other things, weight loss.

"If you think you can do it, or if you think you can't, you are right."

hollowtip
Jun 11, 2004, 06:03 PM

Grow up.

Of course there are exceptions to many people, paralysis physically impares you to move in any such way, so obviously, exercise is pretty much out of the question.

There are so many ways of losing weight there should be no excuse for whining and complaining. Diets do in fact work, it's just finding that one that works for you, sticking with it, and regimenting it into your daily schedule. Using a combination of exercising, eating right, and taking dietary supplements will speed up the process obviously.

Of course genetics do cause problems for excessive weight gain but that just means more self discipline like someone said previously. Just because you have a genetic deficiency in today's society doesn't mean it's impossible to overcome, integrating weight loss techniques just becomes more vital to keep those shed lbs from coming back.

I don't have a problem with people who are over weight, just the whiners and cry babies who have the attitude of "why me?" Stop being lazy and show some will power, a proactive nature is essential for losing weight. Nothing is handed to you on a silver platter.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hollowtip on 2004-06-11 16:04 ]</font>

opaopajr
Jun 12, 2004, 04:06 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif anwserman, ever heard nothing more insufferable than a recent convert? might make you rethink your zeal.

entertaining rant, by the way.

AYY-BEE-CEE
Jun 12, 2004, 04:54 AM
By the way Answerman, is there any specific reason for the offensive post at the start? Did a fat man sit in your seat or something? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

KaFKa
Jun 12, 2004, 05:25 AM
a-b-c, shut the fuck up and go do something more constructive, like playing in traffic...

i agree that most people in america are fat, and most are continually bitching about it too. the problem is that technology has come so far that physical exertion in everyday life is almost nill. ill admit that ive got a centimeter or two of fat on my gut, but that doesent make me fat, it just makes me a lazy person with nothing better to do. (and yes, i have one of the slowest metabolisms around ian, and im not an obese tub of lard) seriously, all of you that think there is a reason to be obese other than pure physical handicaps (like being paralized or lacking a few limbs) are idiots. i mean seriously, think about it a minute.

*stops himself from going onto a wild tanget*

also, there are those that are fat, and dont give a shit. to those people, have fun. you live your life your way, and i'll live mine my way, and be happy. if your content with being fat, have at it.

i personally dont give a shit about those that say america is this and that, because the same can be said about every country.

essentially, all im saying is shut the fuck up and stop poking yourself into other people's business. you're going to die eventually, so live life how you want.

anwserman
Jun 12, 2004, 11:04 AM
Well, one of the reasons why I wrote the post is because of the huge people I see at my place of work... a fast-food resteraunt.

This guy that comes every couple days (I mean, I see him that often at least and I don't work everyday) orders a buffalo-chicken basket and a large strawberry cheesecake blizzard.

The regular (non-Buffalo style) chicken basket: 1000 calories.
The buffalo sauce that we put on the chicken could kill you alone. I'm not sure of the calorie count there, but its made with butter oil and well... yeah don't look at nutrition labels on your break at a fast food resteraunt.

The soft-serve for the blizzard is 150 calories for every four oz. of ice cream. We put 3 oz. of cheesecake in the blizzard (ouch) and 1.5 oz. of strawberries in, plus the remaining 17.5 oz. is softserve. That blizzard, ice-cream alone if my math is correct, is 2,625 calories. Throw in the strawberries, with their ever sugary-sauce and the calorie counting cheezecake and the sucker has to be a good 3,500 calories. For a 22 oz. blizzard if my cup sizes are correct.

So--- a whopping total of 5,000 calories for a single MEAL? Thats 2x the amount recommended for your average American! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Then, there is the lady that orders two large blizzards daily. She's missing an arm, incredibly fat but still manages to have her nose pierced and has a tattoo. Urg, very very disgusting. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

navci
Jun 12, 2004, 03:48 PM
This is very random, but now I want a Blizzard and some Wings, DAMN YOU!@