PDA

View Full Version : Does twinking affect legitness?

AYY-BEE-CEE
Jun 11, 2004, 10:35 AM
Being legit on PSO is basically not using items that have been duped, right? When I played PSO, I was legit, but often twinked my characters because rares I had picked up with one character in the game could not be used by that character, so I transferred them.

Obviously, twinking is a bit of a cheat because the character that gets twinked has not done much to deserve it, but does it stop that character from being considered 'legit'? Should using dupes and twinking characters be used in the same context, or are they seperate issues?

What are your views on twinking?

Ness
Jun 11, 2004, 11:00 AM
That doesn't affect your legitimacy. You worked for the items you got right? So thus you obtained them legitly. What you do with them is up to you. I don't know why people go around saying that tweaking is illegit.

RFB
Jun 11, 2004, 12:45 PM
Maybe the character itself didnt do much to deserve it, but you did. If anyone comes to you calling you a cheater because you are twinking, dont listen to them. They dont deserve your attention. Or if it's real life, a punch in the face could do.

ForceOfBrokenGlass
Jun 11, 2004, 12:50 PM
Tweaking isn't cheating unless you pass them dupes. You don't do much to deserve the items with the character that found them in the first place, you just get lucky enough to find them. Nothing is wrong with making a mag for a new character either.

For the Gamecube PSO giving other characters stuff from higher level characters that they can't use is not cheating, it's common sense.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ForceOfBrokenGlass on 2004-06-11 10:53 ]</font>

Sitka
Jun 11, 2004, 01:20 PM
It's up to each individual to decide for themselves what they consider to be cheating and what they consider to be legit.

Some people consider trading anything makes them somehow not legit - for Christ's sake, why the hell did they make a damn trade window for?

You develop the character and play with the items that gives you enjoyment. It's not fun to take a low level character into a new level and not be able to play at all. Twinking, tweaking or whatever you want to call it allows you to experience the game a little differently than spending hours hunting down items and leveling up incessantly. Weapons you would never, ever find "legitly" can be traded for and enjoyed long before you burn out on the game and give up.

So don't worry about what others consider to be "legit." How do you want to play. It's your money paying for the game and the fees. Play the game the way YOU want to play it and join friends online who enjoy playing with you as you are.

Just my opinion, of course, but there is a place for all in this great game of ours.

Giezus
Jun 11, 2004, 02:58 PM
Nice way of putting it Sitka. I agree with him that you should play however you want. Like what I said a few weeks ago: "If you think being legit means finding the items yourself, no trading, no "tweaking", then thats you, no one else really (or should) cares. If they do care that your "tweaking", then maybe they're trying too hard to be legit (like they wanted to make a legit character to fit in or somthing) and if your trying that hard, then chances are your not having fun.

In the end, all there is left is opinion. Like what your asking now: whats our opinion? You should be concerned with how you view the game...how YOU like to have fun. But, since you asked, Ill tell you. I think that tweaking is perfectly fine. Think about it this way: If they're was no cheats, hacks, dupes, etc. everyone was legit. There would still be tweaking. Like somone said earlier: "Its common sense!" But, thats just MY opinion, and you shouldnt base your "rules" on my opinion.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Giezus on 2004-06-11 12:59 ]</font>

AYY-BEE-CEE
Jun 12, 2004, 05:01 AM
I'm just curious about this because some legit players dislike twinking in the same way they dislike dupes, but I can't see anything wrong with twinking (except maybe when you're in a low-level game and someone 1-hit-kills everything).

ForceOfBrokenGlass
Jun 12, 2004, 04:06 PM
My guess would be that players who don't like tweaking characters may have been former DC legit players. If I remember correctly tweaking was impossible in DC unless you had somebody help you. Section IDs would matter more then.

Sitka
Jun 12, 2004, 04:21 PM
I agree with Force.

Ayy-Bee-Cee - it still comes down to what you think is right for your style of play and what you think is right for your character.

Many of the people I play with have different rules for different characters even. One friend has a very high level character who never accepts any trades and has picked up everything he uses - no exceptions. Another of his characters is a damn whore - she'll take from anybody and everybody and doesn't care where the hell it came from. Same player - different rules.

I've done the same with my characters. I try to keep my online folks pretty clean, but offline I load up some chars with all kinds of stuff and see what happens. Two things come out of this - 1) I can experiment with theories about leveling or rare drop rate stuff and see what kind of results I get and 2) I can see first hand what the effects of using certain weapons/mags/gear can do. Then when I'm online, I know if someones feeding my bullsit and/or if they're playing with something that's tricked.

As for passing down items/weapons/mats/ and such, I think such twinking is all pretty legitimate because you earned the stuff you're passing on and it allows you to develop characters in ways that may not be possible before game burnout otherwise. Just my opinion, but most folks that I play with feel the same way. The ones who consider that to be "cheating" I choose not to play with.

So have fun, regardless of your decision, and get your characters out there so you can play with em.

AYY-BEE-CEE
Jun 14, 2004, 12:10 PM
By the way, the only rares I will have are ones that I have dropped in the game and either I have picked up or someone has picked up and passed it on to me.

Hopefully I'll get PSO Ep3 this week, I was hoping to get it on Friday but it wasn't in the shops http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif got it online instead, I hope I don't encounter all the wonders of cheating when I get online though.

Toxic
Jun 18, 2004, 11:28 PM
This is what I've been doing since day one on Xbox. On the DC, I always hated finding absurdly powerful weapons that I couldn't use and couldn't transfer to one of my chars that could use it. Now, all my Force mags are started by Rangers, my Rangers are on-level in the areas they're in, and my Hunters are rolling through entire difficulties in one sitting.

As long as I found the item, I say I can do whatever I want with it, short of duping.

Siris
Jun 19, 2004, 06:27 PM
Twinking has nothing to do with legitness. Although some people prefer not to, so it's a courtesy to ask the other players if they mind. 99% of the time they won't.

Eihwaz
Jun 19, 2004, 09:26 PM
Bullshit. Anyone who thinks tweaking is unlegit is a stupidass. "NUR THE CHAR DIDN'T DESERVE IT!!" You worked hard to earn it.

Meh, if ST didn't want us doing this, they wouldn't have given us offline multimode or trade window.

Now, this is of course assuming you're using legit stuff to tweak. Sending over dupes or haxed stuff is unlegit, but only becuase...well dupes and haxed stuff aren't legit. >_>;

Sharkyland
Jun 28, 2004, 06:09 PM
Twinking is okay, but... it's always good to ask first. There are a few times where I think twinking should be looked down upon though... I do it all the time when doing with a new character.

Experiences:
1) I start with a new character, back on lvl 1. I give some of the four slot armors I find, and trade in some slots (frame, fields, armor, psy armor, etc): hp, power, body, arm, battle, etc... and probably a good mag like lvl. 200 or so. I join a game... everyone's twinked as well, then I see this one HUmar who's not even twinked at all. Everyone goes rushing through the stage while the HUmar was still struggling a bit to fight off some enemies. And knowing this is normal... enemies goes down in like 1 or 2 hits. Everyone's gains levels and the HUmar isn't. It's sometimes harder when there is a FO using like high level techs or a RA using a long range wpn.

Though this sorta irritated me a bit... now I usually just bring up my character to lvl.20/40 or so. Since it takes kinda a while to kill enemies in Very Hard.

MaxiColor
Jun 29, 2004, 06:50 PM
Bullshit. Anyone who thinks tweaking is unlegit is a stupidass. "NUR THE CHAR DIDN'T DESERVE IT!!" You worked hard to earn it.

Meh, if ST didn't want us doing this, they wouldn't have given us offline multimode or trade window.

Agreed, and probably the smartest comment I've seen yet in this "Cheaters" board.

AYY-BEE-CEE
Jul 1, 2004, 12:35 PM
On 2004-06-29 16:50, MaxiColor wrote:

Agreed, and probably the smartest comment I've seen yet in this "Cheaters" board.

I wouldn't call that a 'smart' comment, 'valid' would be more appropriate.

LoreSeeker
Jul 1, 2004, 03:42 PM
Like everyone else seems to be saying, twinking characters is perfectly fine as long as you're twinking them with legit stuff. Most of the legit players I know twink their new characters, so it's really not that big of a deal in the general opinion of PSO players. Some people are really lame about their standards for legitness, but you can safely ignore them and go play with someone who didn't get dropped a few times as a baby.

MaxiColor
Jul 1, 2004, 08:58 PM
I actually spotted someone's signature earlier on the boards and found it to be quite...a*Cough*...SMART...comment. ;/

It says that no one can be legit because the second someone slays a monster with a weapon that you touched, you are officially off the list of, "legit".

I completely agree, because techniqually, just because you are legit, that doesn't really put you up higher than anyone, even if they dupe. A person who dupes 99% plays just as good as a legit person, and more or so better. When I say play good, I don't mean have pwn weapons. I mean "play" good.

I'm basically saying that legits are really hammered in to thinking they are majority :l. It's become like a clan or something. It's definetly turned in to an image item that people use, and you can't even tell me it isn't true. There are hundreds of people that lie about their items, and for what? To pretend they are one of the majority -_-*.

Lenard
Aug 13, 2004, 01:06 AM
what is twinking? never heard that 1 b4

trypticon
Aug 13, 2004, 01:11 AM
On 2004-08-12 23:06, Lenard wrote:
what is twinking? never heard that 1 b4.

I all so nevr red teh rools of teh 4ums b4.

As I blow the dust off of this thread, it is obvious that you haven't, but I'm glad that you, or somebody pointed that out, because with forty-something posts already to your name, you should really get around to doing so.

In answer to your question though, twinking is transfering items from more experienced characters to lower level ones, so that the low level characters can have an easier time getting through the levels.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: trypticon on 2004-08-12 23:14 ]</font>

Lenard
Aug 13, 2004, 12:47 PM
im not asking how its done/when or where i can get info on doing it, i just wanted to know what it was in a extremely generalized form, and that technically wouldnt be against the rules because twinking isnt cheating or dupin, etc etc

anwserman
Aug 13, 2004, 02:51 PM
Quit bumping old threads, this thread is a month old. Basically, to answer your question though, "twinking" is giving a lower-level/new character some pretty sweet items that were acquired/earned from a high-level character.

Lets use my FOnewearl, Kelli. She had a sweet mag, but I screwed up my stats on it. So, I was creating a HUmar, Mitch, that needed a mag. The stats on the mag that Kelli had would be much better for a HUmar, so I gave him Kelli's old mag and made a new one for her.

That is twinking in a nutshell, giving good items to lower-level characters that don't have enough time put in, or at a decent enough difficulty, to get the items.

trypticon
Aug 13, 2004, 04:00 PM
On 2004-08-13 10:47, Lenard wrote:
im not asking how its done/when or where i can get info on doing it, i just wanted to know what it was in a extremely generalized form, and that technically wouldnt be against the rules because twinking isnt cheating or dupin, etc etc

On 2004-08-12 23:11, trypticon wrote:

As I blow the dust off of this thread, it is obvious that you haven't, but I'm glad that you, or somebody pointed that out, because with forty-something posts already to your name, you should really get around to doing so.

In answer to your question though, twinking is transfering items from more experienced characters to lower level ones, so that the low level characters can have an easier time getting through the levels.

On 2004-08-13 12:51, anwserman wrote:
Quit bumping old threads, this thread is a month old. Basically, to answer your question though, "twinking" is giving a lower-level/new character some pretty sweet items that were acquired/earned from a high-level character.

Lets use my FOnewearl, Kelli. She had a sweet mag, but I screwed up my stats on it. So, I was creating a HUmar, Mitch, that needed a mag. The stats on the mag that Kelli had would be much better for a HUmar, so I gave him Kelli's old mag and made a new one for her.

That is twinking in a nutshell, giving good items to lower-level characters that don't have enough time put in, or at a decent enough difficulty, to get the items.

I thought I wrote something very similar to that above before he needlessly asked the question again, making it seem as if he hadn't even read the reply that was given to him upon bumping the month old thread.

Lenard, learn to read, you've been answered twice in a span of three posts.

anwserman
Aug 13, 2004, 04:12 PM
Whoops, didn't notice. My bad. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Anyway, Leonard, if the thread is over a month old, or even a couple weeks old... create a NEW THREAD INSTEAD OF BUMPING AN OLD/DEAD ONE.

RuneLateralus
Aug 13, 2004, 11:26 PM
Old thread...blah blah blah....lock.