PDA

View Full Version : iritista/rainbow baton

jspacemunkey
Jun 15, 2004, 07:57 PM
need some advice.

i've been piping 'torrs for magic rock iritista (want to make rainbow baton) with my redria Racaseal for a couple weeks. i've killed 42 'torrs without finding anything. i'm aware that the drop is 1/22, so i wasn't expecting to get it right away but i don't know whether i can take prolonged piping when there's a good chance i won't get a reward.

so... i'm wondering what people's opinions of the various slicers are. i am planning to get a flight cutter (piped by whitill) which will be hard but not as hard as iritista. i could also obtain a red slicer if i focused on ult caves with my skyly. that might be time consuming but he'd gain a lot of experience, plus there are many other good drops in that area. should i bother pursuing iritista to make a rainbow baton? would a flight cutter or red slicer be better in the end? i guess i see a rainbow baton as having the major advantage of allowing me to pick a high percent slicer to combine, but i'm not sure it's worth continued effort.

your thoughts are appreciated.

Quo
Jun 15, 2004, 08:01 PM
The thing that kept me piping for my lavis cannon (42 slimes) was the thought that if I gave up, all my time and effort would have been wasted. IMO, slicers suck. But if you like them, you should get all three.

jspacemunkey
Jun 15, 2004, 08:04 PM
haha...you're right about the wasted effort. as for slicers biting the big one, i thought so too when i first started playing. i've decided i really like them now though they're not terribly effective on ult.

i don't know...maybe i need to set a limit? should i stop when i've killed 60 'torrs?

dude3282
Jun 15, 2004, 08:14 PM
I dunno about you, but when I set a goal in this game, I reach it. I haven't set any really huge goals in this game (Psycho Wand is on the list after my current project, though). However, I wanted to get a couple God/Minds, so I kept piping till I did. I guess I'm just really patient. Doesn't hurt that I'm a masochist, I guess I enjoyed the mental anguish of no Nar Lilies showing up. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_bash.gif http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

lain2k3
Jun 15, 2004, 08:37 PM
I dont know why people dont like slicers, they pwn room faster than any other weapon that hunters can use. At least they do it for me.

I'd definetely keep it up for the rainbow baton.

jspacemunkey
Jun 15, 2004, 08:48 PM
after those last two posts i'm resolved to keep at it. i just killed two more 'torrs to no avail, but they popped up wicked fast, both within fifteen pipes, so i'm feeling optimistic. i definitely want the rainbow baton, so i'll keep at it for a while longer.

Quo
Jun 15, 2004, 08:50 PM
On 2004-06-15 18:37, lain2k3 wrote:
I dont know why people dont like slicers, they pwn room faster than any other weapon that hunters can use. At least they do it for me.

I'd definetely keep it up for the rainbow baton.

Personally, I don't like them because they're weak and slow and the combo leaves you open at the end. It's a Hunters job to get up close and fight. I don't know about you, but I get the stuffing beat out of me when I fight up close with a slicer.

jspacemunkey
Jun 15, 2004, 08:55 PM
no question. close-range fighting with a slicer is suicide.

my hucast uses a combination of a high-percents diska of braveman and a red sword in ult and he has no real trouble. when i run out of room for the dob i switch to my red sword and i'm fine. a slicer by itself would be tough, but that's why i'm looking for the higher end slicers. the rainbow baton has the highest atp, which helps, and the flight cutter has devil as a special. not great, but with decent ata the special could make my hucast's life a little easier.

jspacemunkey
Jun 15, 2004, 09:28 PM
and that was all it took...

sometimes i love pso so much i want to hug it. is that so wrong?

Quo
Jun 15, 2004, 09:33 PM
Congratulations!

You beat my red slime count, 45 'torrs to my 42 slimes. I've started piping my 2nd and 3rd lavises though.

lain2k3
Jun 15, 2004, 09:34 PM
Congtaulations! now proceed to pwn stuff with one of the seksiest weapons in the game.

jspacemunkey
Jun 15, 2004, 09:37 PM
thanks very much to both of you. *bows*

i'm actually continuing the hunt, after a fashion. despite the fact that i killed untold number of hildelts in my quest i never saw a god/battle. (saw three photon drops left behind by cruel, cruel hildelts, but never a god/battle.) hopefully finding a god/battle will be faster and less stressful than iritista.

Quo
Jun 15, 2004, 09:41 PM
*nods vigorously* Runs are always less mind numbing than piping. I had the same luck when piping my red slimes. 1 lavis, 0 guard waves.

jspacemunkey
Jun 15, 2004, 09:43 PM
i'm going for two god/battle units, so i hope they're quick to find. i certainly don't envy you, quo, pursuing additional lavis cannons. i had a plan to pipe three lavis cannons and three syncestas so i would have all three possible weapons, but...well, let's just say that plan is on permanent hold.

EDIT: wha-wha-whaaaat??? one trip back into the forest and guess who got his first god/battle... the game must be trying to make for taking so long with iritista. fine by me. muahahahaha!

EDIT EDIT: ummm...this is an additional note to note that i have, and note this, gone insane. five runs after finding my first god/battle i found my second. i am so happy. crazy going. woodle. bleep.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jspacemunkey on 2004-06-15 19:51 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jspacemunkey on 2004-06-15 20:20 ]</font>

Quo
Jun 15, 2004, 10:38 PM
On 2004-06-15 19:43, jspacemunkey wrote:
i'm going for two god/battle units, so i hope they're quick to find. i certainly don't envy you, quo, pursuing additional lavis cannons. i had a plan to pipe three lavis cannons and three syncestas so i would have all three possible weapons, but...well, let's just say that plan is on permanent hold.

EDIT: wha-wha-whaaaat??? one trip back into the forest and guess who got his first god/battle... the game must be trying to make for taking so long with iritista. fine by me. muahahahaha!

EDIT EDIT: ummm...this is an additional note to note that i have, and note this, gone insane. five runs after finding my first god/battle i found my second. i am so happy. crazy going. woodle. bleep.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jspacemunkey on 2004-06-15 19:51 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jspacemunkey on 2004-06-15 20:20 ]</font>

Haha, Congratulations. I did a similar thing the other day with god/minds. I piped 'em in hard mode. Thats the difference between 87.5% (god/mind) and 1/372 (god/battle) however.

Edit: You will envy me when I have Lavis Cannon, Lavis Blades, and Double Cannon. That's my quest this summer.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Quo on 2004-06-15 20:39 ]</font>

lain2k3
Jun 15, 2004, 10:54 PM
Yeah, it took me 608 FoS runs for a luminous field.

**kills**

thats 54 PD's, and over 11,000 hildets.

MT7218
Jun 16, 2004, 04:35 AM
I must say, congrats on your finds. I wish I had good luck when it comes to finding rare items off of the Redria Forest rare enemies... their common counterparts seem to love me, though. Within a week or so of mainly FoS runs (With a few HS runs) 9 God/Battles drop off of Hidelts, 6 in FoS runs (2 in the same FoS run... creeped me out...) 3 in HS runs and about 3-4 Sacred Cloths (They all have either 1 or 0 slots on them...) When I was Sacred Cloth hunting in FiY, I came across 2 Pal Rappies... both of them stiffed me each time. It wasn't untill the 3rd Pal Rappy I found in an HS run did it drop a Red Handgun. As for hunting the elusive Irista... I've killed 2 Torrs (One piped, one in a random HS run) with no luck so far... I don't expect it to get it off Torrs any time soon, but you never know...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MT7218 on 2004-06-16 02:37 ]</font>

Rainbowlemon
Jun 16, 2004, 07:35 AM
On 2004-06-15 20:54, lain2k3 wrote:
Yeah, it took me 608 FoS runs for a luminous field.

**kills**

thats 54 PD's, and over 11,000 hildets.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

...I found mine on my first SoaB Tollaw...that's with half the chance of a Hildelt drop...

...Sorry, couldn't resist. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

jspacemunkey
Jun 16, 2004, 08:36 AM
you know, i think this is the best luck i've ever had. i've never gotten three items i really wanted right in a row like that. and in addition i started doing fiy runs for a sacred cloth. wasn't going well until a pal rappy showed up and dropped my second red handgun with some very decent percents -- (30/20/0/20). my original is (15/15/30/0), so i found a good pair. anyway, i'm hoping to get my sacred cloth today and then i'm after a demo comet. from that point... i can't decide whether to take a break or push into the mines to find a kasami bracer. we'll see i guess.

Shintaro04
Jun 16, 2004, 10:53 AM
lol, you are getting "hungry," aren't you, just like the mood describe in you personal info.
Anyway Congrats and good luck.

jspacemunkey
Jun 16, 2004, 07:17 PM
haha! i am getting rare-hungry, aren't i? more rares for my gullet!

i picked up a sacred cloth and am currently piping my demo comet. after that i decided it's time to go back to work with my whitill and get some leveling and piping done there.

Quo
Jun 16, 2004, 08:06 PM
GO FOR THE LAVIS CANNON!

jspacemunkey
Jun 16, 2004, 09:20 PM
must resist...cannot pipe lavis cannon...

actually, i meant to ask you, quo -- when you pipe for the lavis, do you only pipe in the dual slime room or do you pipe every time you find a slime? (hey, that rhymes!) i usually do the latter, but i'm not sure whether that is, ultimately, a waste of time. any thoughts?

Quo
Jun 16, 2004, 09:35 PM
On 2004-06-16 19:20, jspacemunkey wrote:
must resist...cannot pipe lavis cannon...

actually, i meant to ask you, quo -- when you pipe for the lavis, do you only pipe in the dual slime room or do you pipe every time you find a slime? (hey, that rhymes!) i usually do the latter, but i'm not sure whether that is, ultimately, a waste of time. any thoughts?

Well, w00t. having just landed my second lavis cannon, I suppose I can offer some advice. Personally, I only pipe/split one slime at a time. My HUnewearl can't quite cope with the TP demands of Rabarta. So I split one into four with gibarta and it works just fine. When I piped my caduceus with my FOmarl, I made sure I was in a 2 slime room. With my HUnewearl though, I make cave runs (1-3); and every slime I come across, I split/pipe. Which is faster? The two in a room, definately. The last slime (the one that yeilded lavis #2) I had to pipe for 5 and a half hours, and that was in a one slime room. Remember though, that to get to a two slime room you must either go through cave 1 and half of cave 2 in addicting food, or cave 1,2 and a good deal of cave 3 in Soul of a Blacksmith; both of which are time consuming.

KveerRaven
Jun 17, 2004, 10:07 AM
I'm thinking about trying that today, if possible. or this weekend. Just to see if I actually have a chance of seeing one of those annoyingly elusive red slimes.

Quo
Jun 17, 2004, 10:28 AM
On 2004-06-17 08:07, KveerRaven wrote:
I'm thinking about trying that today, if possible. or this weekend. Just to see if I actually have a chance of seeing one of those annoyingly elusive red slimes.

Red Slime is my least favorite rare enemy. K'veer, you might want to re-think piping red slimes since yellowboze red slimes drop caduceus, which wouldn't be too helpful for your HUmar. If you're looking to pipe though, I would recomend Hero/Ability from a forest Pal rappy, or Secure feet from a temple Mil Lily. If you like slicers you can get a Flight Cutter from a temple 'torr, too.

slimer1231
Jun 17, 2004, 10:32 AM
On 2004-06-17 08:07, KveerRaven wrote:

I've seen one... and it was in normal mode. What did it drop? A resist/lightning... w00t... lol

KveerRaven
Jun 17, 2004, 10:35 AM
On 2004-06-17 08:28, Quo wrote:
Red Slime is my least favorite rare enemy. K'veer, you might want to re-think piping red slimes since yellowboze red slimes drop caduceus, which wouldn't be too helpful for your HUmar. If you're looking to pipe though, I would recomend Hero/Ability from a forest Pal rappy, or Secure feet from a temple Mil Lily. If you like slicers you can get a Flight Cutter from a temple 'torr, too.

You're right about that, Quo. I've sorta given up on Pal Rappys. They've haven't been nice to me, since the first one I saw. I've seen 4 now and none have of them have dropped that damned Hero/Ability, though I could care less for it anyway. As for a Secure Feet, I thought that its equipable only by Rangers. For a Flight Cutter, might be worth it, only problem with that is the fact that I only use Slicers in Multiplayer, and never in single. And I rarely play multi anymore, but hey, could be worth it. *hordes his Dragon Slayer after finding out that his friend is trying to claim it as his own* I did all that work, 1000 mothverts and he thinks he can claim as his own trophy?! BS! His game or not, I don't care! This is why I don't play multi anymore, at least with him anyway. He gets stingy

slimer1231
Jun 17, 2004, 10:38 AM
[/quote]

I've sorta given up And I rarely play multi anymore, but hey, could be worth it. *hordes his Dragon Slayer after finding out that his friend is trying to claim it as his own* I did all that work, 1000 mothverts and he thinks he can claim as his own trophy?! BS! His game or not, I don't care! This is why I don't play multi anymore, at least with him anyway. He gets stingy

[/quote]

I hate my friends who do that. Those are MY rares! :laughs:

Quo
Jun 17, 2004, 10:49 AM
On 2004-06-17 08:35, KveerRaven wrote:
As for a Secure Feet, I thought that its equipable only by Rangers.

Yeah, your right. I had to check the Item database.

jspacemunkey
Jun 17, 2004, 11:56 AM
quo -- thanks for the tips. i'll just clear addicting food piping every slime until i get a pouilly or until one of the slimes kills another of the slimes (seems to happen all the time with my racaseal).

i'm kind of torn though. last night i picked up a demo comet with some really decent percents and i love it. my hucast kicks so much rear with the demo that i find myself desperate for a bkb. so i'm kind of thinking i'll put the lavis cannon on hold and push my hucast ahead to find an mkb and a couple more photon drops for the blue-black stone. we'll see how that works out.

Quo
Jun 17, 2004, 12:01 PM
On 2004-06-17 09:56, jspacemunkey wrote:
quo -- thanks for the tips. i'll just clear addicting food piping every slime until i get a pouilly or until one of the slimes kills another of the slimes (seems to happen all the time with my racaseal).

i'm kind of torn though. last night i picked up a demo comet with some really decent percents and i love it. my hucast kicks so much rear with the demo that i find myself desperate for a bkb. so i'm kind of thinking i'll put the lavis cannon on hold and push my hucast ahead to find an mkb and a couple more photon drops for the blue-black stone. we'll see how that works out.

If your redria is an Andriod, I would definately advise piping/splitting only one slime at a time, unless you have a good way to keep the slimes under controll.

You...MuSt..HUnt...LaVIs. . .CannON. Can'T yoU HeAr it CaLLinG YoU...FrOm the DePtHS of tHe eArTH..."FIND ME! KILL WITH ME!"

That's what it says to me anyway.

lain2k3
Jun 17, 2004, 02:30 PM
In yellowboze, the only good pipeable thing for hunters is Flight cutter, which is pretty good, and very cool looking. I think yellowboze is a much better ranger ID than hunter.

MisterKreyl
Jun 17, 2004, 06:26 PM
Think how rewarding it'll be when you finally get that Iristia, though...In my opinion, it's the only useful slicer, but for forces alone. Hunters have those uber-partisans an' rangers have shots.
Ugh...it's so ugly though...so fruity and cute...

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_quickdraw.gif