PDA

View Full Version : Do the people in MI just suck? Or is this everywhere?

Link00seven
Jun 16, 2004, 07:56 PM
OK, i'm about pissed off.

I was talking to a friend of mine, and she brought up somethnig about "hot guys and dating them" or whatever it was. Now, something you all need to know about me. My self esteam sucks. Kids I know don't help matters at all.

Personally, from what i've experienced in the High School atmosphere, girls go on looks and looks alone, period. They totally ignore the quality of the inside. Now, naturally concerning my crap self esteam, when Cassie brought up the subject of dating hot guys and a few other girls always talking to me about it, i've pretty much come to the conclusion, at least in this age group, that my theory is correct.

Now, obviousy at this point I'm getting bitched at about how "your theory is wrong. your a fucking idiot who needs to grow up." To this, all I can say is I'm stating what I see, and what I see really quite sucks. Just because I had to be the unlucky bastard who ends up being overweight, a computer nerd, and a gamer, that I should be rejected? Maybe i'm talking from my asshole, but girls around here, at least in my school, all suck. None of them gives a rip about people like myself. Is my intelligence to much for them to bare? Or does the fact I'm not the best looking bastard really matter?

Now, before I get flamed, I'm not talking about anyone here in general. I'm talking about the standard 14 year old high school population that i'm forced to endure every single day of my life. I know i'm a moderator, i'm probably way on the boundry's here, but I had to get this out. I can't take it anymore. I need to rant to someone about it. I've held it in for way to long. Period.

Thank you for reading, now, go ahead and comment on this however you wish. Try and prove me wrong, please.

Kupi
Jun 16, 2004, 08:34 PM
Well, the "overweight" part can be dealt with with dedication to the task, but being a computer nerd/gamer is just part of who you are. I'd say don't bind yourself to their version of attractiveness, because, as you've noted, it's shallow. Why judge yourself by their scale, then? Try to judge yourself objectively, and keep an eye out for people who are doing the same thing. I know several gamer girls (not fanatical, but still gamers to some degree), and I'm sure a few will cross your path as well if you stick your neck out.

Cowboy
Jun 16, 2004, 08:34 PM
On 2004-06-16 17:56, Linkooseven wrote:
OK, i'm about pissed off.

Thank you for reading, now, go ahead and comment on this however you wish. Try and prove me wrong, please.

No, I will not.

Youre actually quite on the ball on this, (from my persoonal experiences, also)

Ya see, high school is the time when alot of people just begin to start dating. Theyre trying out something new, have a little bit more freedom, so they want to date just to date, not to have anything serious. It takes alot of people a few years to realize what they really want in a relationship, or to even want a serious relationship =/

Link00seven
Jun 16, 2004, 08:47 PM
People have told me that there are things about relationships that I've realized early, and thats why I seem to not fit in with everyone else or whatever.

You guys are right, I shouldn't really judge myself based on there scale. I should say if they dont like me who they are, then why bother with them? I'm trying to take on that attitude, it's just a bit hard.

BTW: Here's a picture of me taken from Feb. Let's see what you guys think of my apparence. And yes, you can say whatever you want, I dont care. I've heard a hell of alot worse then any of you could probably say.

http://www.psolegacy.vonetwork.com/images/me.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Linkooseven on 2004-06-16 18:49 ]</font>

AUTO_
Jun 16, 2004, 08:55 PM
Just use your intelligence to become rich.

Shallow women love money as much as they love good looks.

ABDUR101
Jun 16, 2004, 09:00 PM
*squints trying to see pic*

...maybe the thumbtac-sized version would be better? =x

ok, I'll be serious. You are who you are. No one's going to change that but you, and you'll do it when you're ready to do it for your own reasons.

For the most part, just stay away from any kind of relationships at this time, unless you find someone who see's things more in the way that you do, otherwise it's just a heartache waiting to happen.

*holds up sign and waves it around*
"Nearly 21 year old male, seeking >male< or female for latenight gaming gauntlets(must be able to give and take a beating) and various outside activities."

Bradicus
Jun 16, 2004, 09:20 PM
Lets think about this for just a tick.

The shallow Highschool girls are not so different from your average highschool male. Do the less-than-perfect girls have dates? Not unless the guy is of the same type.
It is simply the fact that in HS, hormones are raging. The males think "she have big boobs. Me like!" and females think "he have hot ass. Me like!". It may just be a tad disconcerting to see this kind of behaviour coming from the gender that we males are brought up to think of as sweet and demure.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bradicus on 2004-06-16 19:20 ]</font>

astuarlen
Jun 16, 2004, 10:39 PM
I think it's that the vast majority of girls who want to have boyfriends at all are shallow and stupid. The rest of us (the more intelligent type http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif) don't want a relationship with anyone at all, seeing as it's a distraction, and you really can't hope for much out of a high-school relationship. Of course, there are always exceptions, but that's the way I see it.

Outrider
Jun 17, 2004, 01:32 AM
On 2004-06-16 20:39, astuarlen wrote:
I think it's that the vast majority of girls who want to have boyfriends at all are shallow and stupid. The rest of us (the more intelligent type http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif) don't want a relationship with anyone at all, seeing as it's a distraction, and you really can't hope for much out of a high-school relationship. Of course, there are always exceptions, but that's the way I see it.

Sorry... you're trying to say that smart women don't want relationships?

Scejntjynahl
Jun 17, 2004, 02:29 AM
On 2004-06-16 23:32, Outrider wrote:

On 2004-06-16 20:39, astuarlen wrote:

Sorry... you're trying to say that smart women don't want relationships?

No, it is meant that man hunting is not a focus for life, there are other things to worry about and to achieve. A relationship will develop eventually, but goals have to be achieved and sought after. If most of the time is spent looking for the "perfect" match, other things will have left you behind. "Smart women" if looking for someone, will be looking for a person with similar interests and aspirations, that way they can both walk the path in becoming a better individual. Not to depends on that person, but to grow with that person. But unfortunately not all share that two steps ahead of you in life outlook, but instead want instant gratification. And that is where shallow people and uninspired individuals step in. They want the quick buck, the quick good looks, and the everything quick... less effort and maximum profit, hence good looks equates all of those things. Why? Its been fed to us since we understand our outside environment... you look good you have an advantage. But a smart woman through blood and sweat, knows that in the end, it is what you have in your mind and character that will determine your success in life. Good looks is a good hook, but it takes dedication, intellingence and wisdom to reel in the true fruits of ones labors. And that takes time, so in short, smart woman are patient and know what they want.

Armok
Jun 17, 2004, 10:03 AM
Don't worry about the high school girls that over look you. The girl I fancied in high school, I meet recently in a bar and she isnt looking great anymore. She has a shit job and basically is seen as a bit of a tramp. While I mored on to a different area she still relives the glory of her high school days. Shame really she really was amazing back in the day.

Anyway on a less bitter point. Everything always goes well and when I say that its going really well for me so I hope you have the same luck later on.

anwserman
Jun 17, 2004, 10:41 AM
Well, ask yourself these questions before continuing on.

1) Do I really want a girlfriend when I'm 14?
2) Am I mentally ready to want a girlfriend?
3) Do I want to subscribe to the conventions and beliefs that my peers have?

I'll gladly answer them for you... "yes" to question 1 but "no" to questions 2 and 3. You want a girlfriend, you're physically craving for the female companionship and relationship right now... but you're not mature enough.

Example: Just because I had to be the unlucky bastard who ends up being overweight, a computer nerd, and a gamer, that I should be rejected?

You made some of those choices or helped others make those choices about you. Food is a double-edged sword... it can be either good or bad, always in moderation - remember that. You're a computer nerd and a gamer, and there is nothing wrong with that. But the thing this, by classing them all together and using it as an excuse for what you are is not right and fair to yourself or to your peers. You're putting the blame on your peers for disliking what you enjoy so much, but have you ever thought that you're to blame as much as them for disliking what they enjoy so much?

Go out, have some fun. It may not be a cup of tea, but if they notice that you're trying new things and that you keep at it - you'll eventually gain a subject to talk about with some people and then a friendship can possibly grow out from it. Let use weightlifting as an example: Lift weights. Yes, you may not be able to do 150 pounds on the bench like everyone else (hell, most state laws prohibit anybody 13 and younger from most weightrooms) but if you keep at it, you will. Who gives a damn if you can't squat or do as many pushups as Joe Blow a couple yards away from you? Lifting weights, as strange as it may seem, is not an activity that you do as a group. Why is it odd? What you do does NOT help the person next to you at all - a gym provides a social atmosphere but the meat and potatoes rests solely on your shoulders. Do not be intimidated by anybody, and if you feel ackward for the first couple weeks or so... its natural. Become a regular, and you'll fit in and meet new people. And you'll lose weight and start looking good, causing your self-esteem to skyrocket.

Note: I've been there, done that.

None of them gives a rip about people like myself. Is my intelligence to much for them to bare? Or does the fact I'm not the best looking bastard really matter?

"People like myself?" I hate to tell you, you're a hypocrite for the comment. You hate the girls for grouping you with similar people, yet you voluntairly and sadly, willingly, clump yourself in quite a similar fashion. No, intelligence isn't too much to bear. Are those guys that you think consist of nothing but good looks really composed that way? Or is it more of a case that you don't know them well enough only to assume that they're idiots with the charming smile? Chances are, there will be some intelligence behind those pearly white teeth and tan figure. Plus, the whole topic of conversation here... dating... would you really want to date a girl so shallow? Probably not. Look at it on the positive side of things, or perhaps once again you don't know them enough so you assume they're just shallow.

One more thing: You're in complete control of your looks, besides things with genetics (skin color, height, etc.), and that the more work you put into something, the bigger the payback. Put more effort into your physique and become something that the girls want - a stud with a brain - and they'll go after you. Become more personable, lose some weight and become more open. Thats all you really need to do.

P.S. If possible, find an old NES with SMB.3. Granted, its a five year difference between us, so a SNES with Mario Kart of Super Mario World might work better. But it boils down to this, a girl who says that she doesn't like video games now because they're too complicated will probably love the pickup and play ability of the classics. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

astuarlen
Jun 17, 2004, 12:20 PM
Outrider, see Furankunichan's post. What I mean is, can you seriously hope to get something worthwhile out of a high-school relationship? In most cases, the answer is a resounding "No". A successful relationship requires, among other things, time and maturity, at least one of which most high-schoolers lack. That's not to say that "smart" individuals won't embrace relationships at a later stage; they just won't focus on such things in high-school when there are so many other opportunities for fun and learning that are much more difficult to reclaim. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

LollipopLolita
Jun 17, 2004, 12:23 PM
well in general smart people won't stereotype anything and outrule anything since anything is possible.

astuarlen
Jun 17, 2004, 12:27 PM
Hey, I'm not saying it's impossible to have a meaningful or lasting relationship that begins in high-school. But, in my opinion and my experience, it is highly improbable. Sound better? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Edit: I am sensing that some have taken completely seriously a comment I made somewhat in a spirit of levity. I suppose that is partly my fault. (more smilies next time! n_n) Of course, I don't think people who desire boyfriend/girlfriend relationships are completely devoid of sense. But I stand by my assertion that the wisest thing for most individuals is not to seek that kind of relationship. It's great to be good friends--and successful relationships must be built on friendship--but having a serious boyfriend or girlfriend is something the majority of high-schoolers are not prepared for or inclined to do.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: astuarlen on 2004-06-17 11:09 ]</font>

Sord
Jun 17, 2004, 12:39 PM
On 2004-06-17 10:23, LollipopLolita wrote:
well in general smart people won't stereotype anything and outrule anything since anything is possible.

but then if anything is possible, wouldn't it be impossible for something to be impossible? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

ok, ok, seriously >_>;

Well, I know the exact type your talking about, seeing as I'm taking summerschool right now with other freshman (and a few seniors here and there.) Some of them seem alright, but some of the other girls, http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif They have that personality, so I just try to avoid them.

The weird thing is, I am a gamer and good with computers, I am overweight (though looking at me I'm not fat, stocky I guess) but that's supposed to even out according to my growth charts. Well, anyways, these girls keep coming and talking to me, and I have no fricken clue what to say >_< So I just answer their questions or make small comments on what they are saying. I have a few nicknames now to, all given to me by girls as well :/

Velcro (I where velcro strap shoes, i hate laces)
Fire (My hair, see RL pic)
FireHair (my hair)
Spiky Lee (my hair)
Goalee (I'm a good hockey goalee)

So yeah, whatever. All I ever do is nothing, (as in never talking to them or paying them any attention) and they just start talking to me, an I'm like >_> <_< why is she talking to me?!

Maybe the girls like the whole loner attitude. -_-;

Any ways, just wait it out, with age comes wisdom (or so they say), and hopefully those girls will get some.

Eihwaz
Jun 17, 2004, 12:59 PM
On 2004-06-16 18:47, Linkooseven wrote:
People have told me that there are things about relationships that I've realized early, and thats why I seem to not fit in with everyone else or whatever.

You guys are right, I shouldn't really judge myself based on there scale. I should say if they dont like me who they are, then why bother with them? I'm trying to take on that attitude, it's just a bit hard.

BTW: Here's a picture of me taken from Feb. Let's see what you guys think of my apparence. And yes, you can say whatever you want, I dont care. I've heard a hell of alot worse then any of you could probably say.

http://www.psolegacy.vonetwork.com/images/me.jpg

You like fine and healthy to me. Don't think you're not good becuase of what some morons say.

Meh, if it's any conselation, the girls in CA are almost as bad. They're usually shallow, foolish morons who dote on their boyfriend and follow his every whim. They also tend to be more an extension of the boyfriend, agreeing with them on everything, etc.

Although I do have a crush on this certain girl, I don't worry too much about dating. I can admit that I'm probably just not ready to do it. This might be different for you, I dunno. >__>;

Anyway, just try to ignore them, and find some nice girls. Smart, indepedent girls. There are several of them at my school, and I'm even on first name terms with a few of them! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

And if you wish to improve your self-esteem, try different activities. Try Drama, some kind of Art or Music class, or something else that you enjoy.

People also say that the stupid people get sorted out as you get into college.

Meh, I usually suck at this kinda advice, so I'll shut up for now. Good luck with the idiots.

Link00seven
Jun 17, 2004, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the comments. I'm feelin a bit better now. Regardless, you guys should know that I know alot of the people in my class real well. I get along with people, its just girls dont find me suitable for dating. That's just how it goes. In terms of being open, i've changed alot from my middle school self. I'm alot more open, and I really do get along with alot of people, like I just said.

The only reason this all got brought up to me again was the fact I got out of an argument concerning it, and it just brought back feelings my low self esteam used to bring me back in Middle School...things are alot different now, at least attitude wise and getting along with people. I have expanded alot, although my roots still lie in what i've always enjoyed--computers, games, technology. Doesnt mean I dont do other shit, I lift weights, and I swim.

I think I've gotton my common sense beating enough for today--lol. Maybe its time for this shit to be locked...I think all i'm going is sounding like a jackass. Might be wise for me to shut up now

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Linkooseven on 2004-06-17 11:20 ]</font>

LollipopLolita
Jun 17, 2004, 01:45 PM
seriosuly, you people need to stop stereotyping people. girls are like that girls are like this. people do this people want that. it's better to ask and understand a person's personality instead of assuming assuming and then saying "oh girls are weird, i don't understand them at all!"

locked by request of author.