PDA

View Full Version : If it CAN be done, SHOULD it be done?

HUnewearl_Meira
Jun 18, 2004, 06:57 PM
I'm considering selling some Recollection Saga merchandise on TheRecollectionSaga.com (http://www.therecollectionsaga.com) (t-shirts, coffee mugs, stuff like that)-- provided that I can do so without PSO copyright infringements.

So, since the main portion of my readership exists here, I ask you all, if I were to make such merchandise available, would anybody be willing to buy it?

KaFKa
Jun 18, 2004, 08:53 PM
i would consider buying something, provided i had money to spare http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

seriously though, if youre going to publish the series, you should at least get cofee mugs or something

FOAtHeart
Jun 18, 2004, 09:48 PM
Definately! I mean, it's good stuff, even better merchandise right? Hell, I'd buy it all (if I was finacially able *coughcough*).

MQuantum
Jun 18, 2004, 10:12 PM
Probably not for me. It's not the fact that I don't want it; in truth, it would be totally awesome. Especially if it would support The Recollection Saga in any way.

It main problem lies in the whole buy over the internet thing. I know it's childish, but hopefully you can understand.

Keep in mind that I am only one. There are many people that do not share my beliefs, and I know this. Therefore, if certain factors are considered (Copyright issues, amount of visitors to the website, support spoken here, etc.) this could be a wonderful project.

Of course, there is always the option of making it known that such merchandise is availible, and have orders for it. Kind of like a small side hobby, and you can complete said orders on your own time and conditions. Thus eliminating the hassles of running a business type deal, regardless of how small it may be.

AzureBlaze
Jun 19, 2004, 01:06 AM
I don't know about the copy right infringement thing...

See, I'm a huge fan/collector of Sonic The Hedgehog, so I regularaly search Ebay for stuff, and there's tons of flooded in bootleg Sonic BS you have to sift thru to get to the real deal.
Example: Stationary, Address labels, tote-bags, iron-ons etc that can be made in the home and sold.

However, no one bashes these things or has them banned, so apparently no one's noticing this large scale marketing attempt. (I DO say attempt though, because no one buys them)

I would figure that you'd probably be fairly safe doing something because it doesn't look like ST polices their stuff that closely.

I considered doing something similar with like Section ID's on T-shirts. To any non-PSO'er a Sect. ID looks like a mysterious and cool design to wear. I wondered if anyone would buy them. Still, this is an interesting endevour.

SabZero
Jun 19, 2004, 06:58 AM
What kinds of design could you put though? All character designs are copyright Sega...

And I know that Cafepress doesn't appreciate (allow) fanart at all.

Good luck anyway http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

BOC
Jun 20, 2004, 08:11 AM
i dunno, i might.

im not really the merchandise type, i usually stay clear from the t-shirts and mugs and stuffed toys with big eyes. and considering the distance it would have to travel to get here, and how crap the mail service is.. and even if u wouldn't be infringing copyright,

maybe. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif the lure of a dragoon mug is tempting.

PEACE!!!

TheOneHero
Jun 20, 2004, 11:42 PM
i Would definately buy some stuff *if i had the money i dont have a job right now...CURSE YOU WENDYS! [/i]shakes fist[i] * Though if you did it, adn i had the money i would buy some of it.

HUnewearl_Meira
Jun 21, 2004, 10:51 AM
Thanks for your input, everyone!

With the results such as they are, I'll look into what I can sell without violating copyright laws.

RavenTW
Jun 21, 2004, 09:43 PM
I think it's a good idea. It might also expand your reader fanbase as people wearing/using said apparel will show 'em to non-readers.

I, however, would not be interested in your merchandise. One, because I haven't really read your series, nor intend to (don't take it personally, I'm not much of a reader), and Two, because my parents hold the keys to the online shopping car, and they think it's risky enough having an auto-billing HL every month.

Still, I think it's always a good idea to expand one's literature with fan apparel. Good luck to you.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RavenTW on 2004-06-21 19:43 ]</font>

Cinnamon
Jun 23, 2004, 04:11 PM
Recollection merchandise? Hell yea I'd buy it! Where's the store already? ^_^