PDA

View Full Version : why was it taken out?

kazuma56
Jun 19, 2004, 03:38 PM
I wonder why ST took out the back-step which was in the DC version while doing combo's? ex: you would to a dbl saber combo and automatically step-back after the combo rather than having to do so by yourself, was it taken out to make the game harder? (maunal evade), or just some thing ST couldn't put back into the game?

Kupi
Jun 19, 2004, 03:53 PM
There was a glitch involving doorways if you had the right weapon. It worked best with unequipped strikes and double sabers. The backstep could put you inside a doorway if aimed right, and from there you could just walk through. You could just walkwalk straight through to the boss without fighting anything.

Eihwaz
Jun 19, 2004, 03:58 PM
Hmm, I read somewhere that the trick could work on GC, but maybe that was only for laser-fences...hmm...

Jack
Jun 19, 2004, 04:15 PM
The walk through doors glitch was fixed for Version 2 though. I guess it's just to make battles that little bit harder.

Sef
Jun 19, 2004, 04:44 PM
So this little ability has been out of the game for quite some time right?

StryderPSO
Jun 19, 2004, 06:28 PM
Wow i remember that trick...hahah good times

RFB
Jun 19, 2004, 06:29 PM
The only situation it was good for (in my opinion) was to gain acces to ruins right after defeating Vol Opt, and that way you would not have to go back and hit the damn pillars.

PJ
Jun 19, 2004, 09:49 PM
On 2004-06-19 16:29, RFB wrote:
The only situation it was good for (in my opinion) was to gain acces to ruins right after defeating Vol Opt, and that way you would not have to go back and hit the damn pillars.

Which of course would not be necessary now since in the GC version, you can hit them on your first run through anyways.

Aah, DC v1, how I miss thee http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

EJ
Jun 20, 2004, 01:28 AM
I seem that trick work for the laser fence in the ruins but that is only palce it worked at that i have seen so far.

Butoden
Jun 20, 2004, 04:15 AM
You couldn't hit the pillars in the first run trough an area in the DC version? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

rena-ko
Jun 20, 2004, 07:54 AM
nope. the game was designed that you run through forest,caves,mines twice. the idea was that you gain some more exp on the way and as well increase your chances on finding some stuff.
(droprates were insanely low back then)

besides this, since we now have ep2, ST took it out.

Para
Jun 20, 2004, 01:09 PM
That gotta run through forest caves mines idea fitted better with the storyline honestly.

Think about it... when you reached the ruins door or the spaceship door, rico wonders if its the poles that you saw earlier... then it sorta makes sense to check it again... I dont think rico activated them on the first try or whatever otherwise the dooors wouldve been open already when you got there.

As for stepping back... Im glad they removed it... when Im fighting multiple monsters they tend to attack from the back as well so if I had stepped back, monster would get a swipe at me... Since they took it out, I can follow through my attacks and finish one monster easily.

RFB
Jun 20, 2004, 01:49 PM
But also the backstep could save you from an attack coming from the front.

DarK-SuN
Jun 20, 2004, 07:00 PM
Ah yes, the "backstep through the doors" glitch, used it many times to get to the ruins so not to have to backtrack through forest, caves and mines again; mind you, I agree with Nites with the fact that backtracking made a LOT more sense, storywise, than going straight the whole areas in one go.

I prefered the backstep in all honesty.
The lack of backstep ruined some double saber tactics I had which needed the backstep to make them work.

Also, the diferent "lock-on" system Ep1&2/BB has ruined most of the double saber tactics as well due to not switching targets fast enough, causing you to hit the air more often than not.
The other PSO veterans here should know what I mean with this, it's also noticeable with certain multi-hit per combo weapons when trying to destroy 6 item boxes in a row (now impossible due to the new lock-on method) since most of the middle hits will hit nothing since the "lock-on" recticle doesn't switch to the next target fast enough.

Also very annoying with "one line" long range weapons (rifles and handguns for example) when you want to turn around to hit another closer target quickly and when you shoot, you hit the one miles away you shot before, getting you hit in the process.

kazuma56
Jun 21, 2004, 07:23 PM
dark-sun, I know what you are saying, I thought that because the back-step was taking out (it's now impossibleto melee with dbl-sabers for males now) the target reticle was suffered because of it... shows how much I know.

But if you really look at it, the animationslook kinda weird without the backstep, like the dbl-saber and partizan for male chars.

lain2k3
Jun 21, 2004, 09:00 PM
On 2004-06-21 17:23, kazuma56 wrote:
(it's now impossibleto melee with dbl-sabers for males now)

dude, what the fuck are you talking about?
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Nai_Calus
Jun 21, 2004, 09:06 PM
On 2004-06-21 19:00, lain2k3 wrote:

On 2004-06-21 17:23, kazuma56 wrote:
(it's now impossibleto melee with dbl-sabers for males now)

dude, what the fuck are you talking about?
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

That's what I want to know. O_o; I love the male double saber combo. >_>;

lain2k3
Jun 21, 2004, 09:13 PM
I dont like the male combo animation at all, but it is very useable.

Mixfortune
Jun 21, 2004, 11:46 PM
You could travel through the doors using the unarmed combination also, but if I'm not mistaken the new unarmed combination also steps back a bit... I'm probably wrong on that.

Anyways, I would venture a guess that the travelling through doors was a side affect of the ability for Sinows in ver.1 to jump through the door into the hallways and attack you, because as I recall Sinow Blues and Sinow Reds would not have that behavior, either.

In the newer versions, Sinows don't jump through the doors at all (not even Beats and Golds). Whether these two changes are related somehow, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Of course, seeing as I have no knowledge of the code of the game, this is just a guess, for the most part.

kazuma56
Jun 22, 2004, 07:21 PM
No, you misunderstood me, although it was quite vague, I meant melee effectively, as in doing a combo and escaping, in DC you could because the back-step was there, in GC the only way to get off the combo without getting a whack is if the enemy dies within that combo, you attack it from behind, or you have enough EVP to block the attack.

lain2k3
Jun 22, 2004, 07:29 PM
Which is why ramarls high evp is valuable =P

kazuma56
Jun 22, 2004, 07:49 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif, not really because the female attack animation is good enough to manual evade after completing the combo due to the less movement involved.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kazuma56 on 2004-06-22 17:51 ]</font>

lain2k3
Jun 22, 2004, 07:59 PM
Meh.

Xaos127
Jun 23, 2004, 02:05 AM
lain2k3, kazuma must you two argue over everything?
now shake hands and make up..

kazuma56
Jun 23, 2004, 07:02 PM
I wasn't arguing with Lain, I was just saying that females dbl-saber combo allows manual evade in Ultimate while male chars do not.

RicoRoyal
Jun 23, 2004, 07:06 PM
Kazuma, why must you argue with Xaos about arguing with Lain? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

kazuma56
Jun 23, 2004, 07:10 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif I guess i'm that type of guy.

kazuma56
Jun 23, 2004, 07:11 PM
On 2004-06-23 17:10, kazuma56 wrote:
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif I guess i'm that type of guy.

.... wait a minute, what does the above 3 posts have to do with this topic?