PDA

View Full Version : G-Mail: Conspiracy or not?

agenevil
Jun 22, 2004, 10:37 PM
There are questions to whether or not GMail has a master plan to take over the email economy and abuse the people with GMail accounts.

Example: Scanning mail for words just so they can put ads related to those wordsin that email. When It makes a list of key words, it stores that info on the google database until 2038. Or even longer. If the government requests this information, things may go wrong. Think MP3 and DOWNLOAD in the same email.

I think these people are ridiculous. Everyone knows that if the RIAA got that info, they would request the email in its whole, to see it used in its original context.

In the end, I say screw it, I want 1000MB of storage. I don't care, even if anyone grabs stuff on my personal life, what could they do with it anyway? Humiliate me without me knowing it in front of their 5 friends? Pft.

Cinnamon
Jun 23, 2004, 02:11 PM
Conspiracy? *looks at his gmail accounts* Nahhh...

HUnewearl_Meira
Jun 23, 2004, 02:15 PM
Eh... A gig really isn't much. I've had several CDs worth of information sitting in my mailbox on AOL before now. There are others who've had a great many times more than that. Quite frankly, Hotmail and a number of other free e-mail services provide a shamefully small amount of space. If you really want a vast amount of space to deal with your e-mail, then AOL is the way to go.

Outrider
Jun 23, 2004, 02:22 PM
Eh, well for the longest time we've been connecting through other ISPs and just using the AOL service. We're gonna drop AOL now though, so I got Gmail.

I hardly get any useful mail on my AOL account anymore anyway.

Dhylec
Jun 23, 2004, 07:47 PM
yahoo has recently expanded the mail box from 5mb & 2mb attachment to 100mb box & 10mb attachment
now, that is something!
best part is.. it's (still) free!

Ketchup345
Jun 23, 2004, 08:02 PM
I have no problem with the space on my E-Mail, since I use IMs for 99% of my conversations. The small amount of space that Hotmail gives is no problem for me, the only thing I don't like is the "check mail at least once every 30 days" requirement.

I personally can't wait untill it is publicly, or someone sends me an invite (hopefully the person I asked will get enough invites). Hopefully you don't have a time limit for its expiration.

navci
Jun 23, 2004, 08:22 PM
On 2004-06-23 18:02, Ketchup345 wrote:
...(hopefully the person I asked will get enough invites)...

Tee Hee.
I don't think you'll have a time limit on invites, or else you might run out of time to auction them on eBay. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Link00seven
Jun 23, 2004, 09:21 PM
I just use my Comcast box...10MB is enough for me...I dont send/recieve attachments threw email.

Jack
Jun 24, 2004, 05:53 AM
On 2004-06-22 20:37, agenevil wrote:
Example: Scanning mail for words just so they can put ads related to those wordsin that email. When It makes a list of key words, it stores that info on the google database until 2038. Or even longer. If the government requests this information, things may go wrong. Think MP3 and DOWNLOAD in the same email.

They already can read your e-mail. Ever heard of Echelon?

Ketchup345
Jun 24, 2004, 06:35 AM
On 2004-06-23 18:22, navi wrote:
Tee Hee.
I don't think you'll have a time limit on invites, or else you might run out of time to auction them on eBay. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Its just this person hasn't gotten any invites yet, and I'm guessing that means you somehow have to "earn" the invites somehow. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

AquaFlare7
Jun 24, 2004, 06:53 AM
On 2004-06-23 12:15, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
Eh... A gig really isn't much. I've had several CDs worth of information sitting in my mailbox on AOL before now. There are others who've had a great many times more than that. Quite frankly, Hotmail and a number of other free e-mail services provide a shamefully small amount of space. If you really want a vast amount of space to deal with your e-mail, then AOL is the way to go.

O_o I am not even going to ask why anyone in there right mind would post AOL as a valid alternative.