PDA

View Full Version : PSO or FFXI?

Eanae
Jun 26, 2004, 03:13 PM
Ok... here's my situation. I may have the oportunity to play one of these online games, but I'm so unsure of which one to choose... I mean, I've played PSO for about a year, and it's kinda getting repetitive, but non the less, still very fun. I've also always been a final fantasy fan, and want to get FFXI, but don't really know seeing as I have never actually played myself (though I have watched friends play) Alot of my friends are also on FFXI, which gives more incentive playing there, but yet there are many new friends to be made on PSO. What do you guys think I should play? Any reason why would be appritiated.

Ness
Jun 26, 2004, 03:16 PM
Both are boring, in my opinion.

Airick25
Jun 26, 2004, 05:13 PM
I have done some research on FFXI. Apparently, it is very different from PSO in that instead of initiating each attack you simply target a monster, engage attack mode, and then sit back and watch until someone dies. Sure there is some spell casting in between, but I've read from reviews that FFXI is pretty mediocre. However, PSO and FFXI are nevertheless apples and oranges. You can't exactly say which is better. On the other hand, if you're planning to buy the whole PS2 package, you may want to go with PSO since it is cheaper.

Kent
Jun 26, 2004, 06:07 PM
Both are different genres of games, PSO beign an online RPG, and Final Fantasy XI beign a MMORPG.

Seeing as you've played PSO for a few years like I have, FFXI is a nice change.

LostHero
Jun 26, 2004, 07:52 PM
I wouldn't choose either to be honest with you...

Firocket1690
Jun 26, 2004, 08:10 PM
Assuming you have a decent computer, ffxi seems like fun.

Eanae
Jun 26, 2004, 08:18 PM
On 2004-06-26 18:10, Firocket1690 wrote:
Assuming you have a decent computer, ffxi seems like fun.

I'd have to get a ge-force card. That's about it.

Fyrin
Jun 26, 2004, 08:19 PM
Final Fantasy 11 is boring, extremely boring game. If you like playing rpg on PC, you would go with World of War Craft if though its not out yet, and may never be out in years. I would just stick with Phantasy Star Online Ep1&2.

RFB
Jun 26, 2004, 08:38 PM
hmm I think I read on a PC Gaming magazine today, that World of Warcraft will be coming out this year's winter.

Eanae
Jun 26, 2004, 08:39 PM
On 2004-06-26 18:19, Fyrin wrote:
Final Fantasy 11 is boring, extremely boring game. If you like playing rpg on PC, you would go with World of War Craft if though its not out yet, and may never be out in years. I would just stick with Phantasy Star Online Ep1&2.

Dunno. For some reason war craft doesn't appeal to me. Diablo and Diablo II are the only Blizzard games I've ever really liked...

RuneLateralus
Jun 26, 2004, 08:54 PM
City of Heroes. Trust me.

astuarlen
Jun 26, 2004, 09:25 PM
Personally, I'm looking forward to Guild Wars, which, if I recall correctly, has no monthly fee! Now that's what I'm talking about! Hopefully, I won't need uber-hardware to play it... >_>

DruidMettool
Jun 26, 2004, 10:03 PM
My suggestion is that you sit back and wait for PSU to come around. FFXI is too expensive, and you'll end up playing with ten thousand people named Sephiroth. And PSO's population is reaching that of a Ghost Town (and there isn't anything to do). Both PSO games will keep you busy for a month or two, and you'll get bored very quickly since there's nobody on to play with.

So I suggest that you go with NEITHER.

In the meantime, download a free RO client, or go with City of Heroes. As far as MMORPGs goes, these are your best bet.

*braces for flaming*

Bradicus
Jun 26, 2004, 10:06 PM
Twiddle your thumbs until WoW comes out?

Kupi
Jun 26, 2004, 10:22 PM
Between the two of them... I'd say PSO. Combat in FFXI is comparable to Beyblades in that you're watching two things beat on each other until one stops moving. It's more advanced than that, of course, but you're remarkably removed from the combat experience. PSO is more like Battlebots; you're in full control of your side of the fight, even if the overall experience may get repetitive after a while. It's at least more exciting than being a passive observer.

Kent
Jun 27, 2004, 04:00 AM
It's kinda funny how people say combat in FFXI is boring, yet have probably only played for about ten minutes, and most likely have little or no magic or abilities yet. Much more involved than in RO, I can tell you that much (not to mention designed much better, by far).

Really, FFXI is the only MMORPG I've played that didn't suck (it's also the only one with a good storyline). I don't know about World of Warcraft, but it doesn't really seem interesting to me.

Firocket1690
Jun 27, 2004, 04:09 AM
On 2004-06-27 02:00, Kent wrote:
It's kinda funny how people say combat in FFXI is boring, yet have probably only played for about ten minutes, and most likely have little or no magic or abilities yet. Much more involved than in RO, I can tell you that much (not to mention designed much better, by far).

Really, FFXI is the only MMORPG I've played that didn't suck (it's also the only one with a good storyline). I don't know about World of Warcraft, but it doesn't really seem interesting to me.

Square fanboy. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Kent
Jun 27, 2004, 04:11 AM
...I'm a fanboy because I like games that are actually good? :/

LostHero
Jun 27, 2004, 06:07 AM
FFXI, is a bland timesink. I tried to like that game alot, but just couldn't. Granted it's very polished with some awesome presentation, and of course has all the FF characters we love... but in the end, thats about it. There is nothing revolutionary or fun about the game. The PvB and quests were both standard, and from lv.19 to lv.47 (the level I was before I quit) I was essentially doing the same thing, with the levels 1-19 being some of the most boring gaming I've ever been apart of - there just wasn't any exploration or discovery that should be inherent to the beginning stages of a MMORPG.

Eanae
Jun 27, 2004, 09:39 AM
On 2004-06-26 20:22, Kupi wrote:
Between the two of them... I'd say PSO. Combat in FFXI is comparable to Beyblades in that you're watching two things beat on each other until one stops moving. It's more advanced than that, of course, but you're remarkably removed from the combat experience. PSO is more like Battlebots; you're in full control of your side of the fight, even if the overall experience may get repetitive after a while. It's at least more exciting than being a passive observer.

I'm guessing you've never played a MUD. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's a multi user dungeon. It's a non graphical mmorpg. And yeah, basically you sit and watch the combat go by, and do quests. For some odd reason, I got really addicted to it for months http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif But when I got back into PSO, it went down the toilet http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Mattacon
Jun 27, 2004, 10:05 AM
FFXI. Hands down.

Link00seven
Jun 27, 2004, 03:57 PM
Maybe i'm biased being that i've played PSO EpI&II&III to death over the last 2+yrs, getting FFXI was a nice change over.

However, I'm still going to go with FFXI, just for the simple fact I dont see the PSO community lasting very long. I haven't been online on PSOGC in a few months now, but from what I hear, its degrading to the point where its just not fun anymore. FFXI the community i've come across seem very nice, and cheating is pretty much non-existent.

In the end, its your call, but i'm going to go with FFXI.

Bradicus
Jun 27, 2004, 06:10 PM
On 2004-06-26 20:06, Bradicus wrote:
Twiddle your thumbs until WoW comes out?

I agree Brad. Waiting for WoW (http://blizzard.com/wow/townhall/) would be the best plan.

LostHero
Jun 27, 2004, 06:15 PM
Or waiting for Guild Wars perhaps? I would say EQ2, but even EQ players are bashing it, so I'd rather not.

badbitz
Jun 27, 2004, 09:11 PM
Okay, here goes...
From personal experience, I would have to say FFXI after you have played PSO forever.
World of Warcraft is a kiddy version of Everquest with a lot of lights and colors (might appeal to some people).
And I can't say City of Heroes is a bad game, except you reach the level cap (so far) all too quickly.
and many do say FFXI's battle system is boring... while I can't say it is thoroughly engaging, it isn't just boring like PSO after a while. Many people could have different opinions on all of these...but if you have friends on FFXI, I would go with that.
Oh yeah, who said there are a million people named sephiroth? Only 1 on each server...which means you will only encounter 1, and another guy named Zephiroth.

LostHero
Jun 27, 2004, 09:59 PM
Don't forget SSJSephiroth, SSJ2Sephiroth, SSJ3Sephiroth, SSJ4Sephiroth, SSJ5Sephiroth, SSJ#Sephiroth, SSJ#Seph, Seph1r0th, S3phir0thRulesJ00.... etc etc etc lol

PrinceBrightstar
Jun 28, 2004, 03:07 AM
Progress Quest. The best rpg ever. http://www.progressquest.com

BogusKun
Jun 28, 2004, 03:19 AM
Everything is repetitive...

Cheating in PSO will ruin your experience...

FFXI is slow because money, items, and leveling up is a bitch...

Episode 3 has been striped, ****ed, and ***ed on all over (yes, I'm censoring for your protection)

Overall... Outta these 2 games ... FFXI... more people play this game than you think... and the Expansion Chains of Promathia will bring more people back on...

PSO is Futuristic to FFXI's old Middle Ages Look...

But FFXI stands tall with it's Super Secure Servers.

kevlar_pso
Jun 28, 2004, 08:46 AM
I never thought I'd say it and am in a way ashamed, But I'm gonna hafta go w/FFXI instead of PSO. I too have played PSO forever, across the DC, GCN, and Xbox(downloaded PSOBB but couldn't get around all the Japanese, even w/the guides). There is just so much to do in FFXI. Server saves, next to no cheatin. The only pure part of PSO is Challenge Mode. Which is pretty much the only reason I still have my account on the Xbox open. My GCN account is still up but I rarely get on there.

FSOD, BSOD, cheaters, dupers, hackers, Al Rappies, Max Staters, Multi equipers, AR users have all brought down PSO on te GCN and Xbox. You can say what you want about legit players, but a good % of them will look down their nose @you if you've ever received a duped material. I would go w/FFXI. Besides, there ain't enuff ppl to get good TA games in on either console.

Eanae
Jun 28, 2004, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the input everybody. I'm going out to get FFXI today. And if I don't like it, I still have my pso copy to play. Thanks for all your opinions! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Siris
Jun 28, 2004, 06:56 PM
I play both now. They are very different in several areas. I think I'd recommend FFXI, especially if you're getting a little bored with PSO. FFXI has soooo much to do, the world is massive as it is a true MMORPG and it is a ton of fun. Come to Fenrir!

Kent
Jun 29, 2004, 10:24 AM
On 2004-06-28 16:56, Siris wrote:
Come to Fenrir!

Heh, there are more people that visit PSOW that are on Fenrir?

Siris
Jun 29, 2004, 10:33 AM
Don't know...that's where I am. If you want someone else you'll have to ask them. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Skett
Jun 29, 2004, 10:47 AM
On 2004-06-27 02:00, Kent wrote:

Correct, I would say. FFXI is a game that you must stay and play with for a longer time before you start to reep the benefits. It does become more fun when you gain abilities and make friends. And with this I say pick FFXI. But please, just don't play for a hour and say the battle system suck. Stick with it.

Eanae
Jun 29, 2004, 04:44 PM
If anyone wants to play when ever the heck I get online, I'll be playing on Faerie in Windurst. I bought the game yesterday, and I will be on someday. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

lain2k3
Jun 30, 2004, 01:15 AM
From what i have played and heard:

FFXI is extremely pretty. thats it.

PSO still pretty, but not as muchso as FFXI, and the gameplay keeps you interested, unlike FFXI.

I wish FF was better game ;_;

Eanae
Jun 30, 2004, 07:03 AM
I played it yesterday over a friends house, and yes it is very pwetty http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif But the gameplay was also really awesome. Mages give you more control over battle, and make the game really fun. Warriors are just as fun too, even though you have less control over combat.

Alastor
Jul 1, 2004, 06:33 PM
FFXI is an ok game but the monthly fee is just too high and there are so many people who hang out in the towns with their bazzars that all the towns have lag (San D'Oria is the worst). I put a little over 10 days (game time) on the PS2 beta then when the retail was released I played my free 30 days (which just ended 3 days ago as I had the game since march but never tried it till end of may) and cancelled. It's just a matter of opinion on which game is better. They both can get old and boring as it is pretty much the same thing over and over. If I had to pick one to play online I'm not sure which it would be. But since you already got FFXI I just hope you enjoy as it is not a cheap game to play. Granted the PS2 version costs more as it has the HDD but I got it all for free as I beta tested it and got the retail for returning my beta.

Nai_Calus
Jul 1, 2004, 06:39 PM
Just play a MUD. XP They're free, and since it's all text-based, you're free to imagine whatever you like for the graphics, from stick-figures to completely realistic 3D. XP MUDs like Aardwolf that have been around for a while also tend to be huge and have a large variety of areas. Sure, typing east, west, up, run nesuw, look, con all, kill priest, c 'cone of cold', etc can get boring, but then, so can clicking with a mouse. XP

Eanae
Jul 1, 2004, 06:53 PM
On 2004-07-01 16:39, Ian-KunX wrote:
Just play a MUD. XP They're free, and since it's all text-based, you're free to imagine whatever you like for the graphics, from stick-figures to completely realistic 3D. XP MUDs like Aardwolf that have been around for a while also tend to be huge and have a large variety of areas. Sure, typing east, west, up, run nesuw, look, con all, kill priest, c 'cone of cold', etc can get boring, but then, so can clicking with a mouse. XP

I don't play muds. I make them. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif as a matter of fact, it's in early development right now. beta should be opening up by late August is anyones interested.

Edit: I played Ishar for a while, which is what got me into Mud design.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eanae on 2004-07-01 16:54 ]</font>

Xaos127
Jul 3, 2004, 08:21 AM
Hmm, looks at poll...
You would think much more biased results coming from PSO World.

AlbinoRando
Jul 4, 2004, 10:23 PM
PSO is more action type gameplay while FFXI has more in-depth gameplay. if your a FF fan id go for FFXI but thats just me.

Master_of_Dragons
Jul 4, 2004, 10:38 PM
Just Play FFXI... if you hate o well, switch to PSO thats all that matters