PDA

View Full Version : Is Video Game Cheating Really BAD!!!

Anubis_
Jun 27, 2004, 07:20 AM
The way I see it, theirs different types of cheating..

First you have complete the task..

Then theirs ODD WORD..

And last of all, Glitching..

Complete the task is like, You beat the game 5 times with this charecter and you get this costume, not many people consider that cheating, But, in many gaming magazines and internet sites, its considered a cheat, probably cause you dont know the information when you play the game for the first time..

The theirs Odd Word... Say theirs a password menu, and u inter a series of letters and/or numbers like 7foodpaste23,, and you get infinate lives.. Yeah,, it is kinda cheap, but the programers intentionaly programed in the game so that you could find them and input them, so does it really make it worng..??

And last but not least, theirs glitching... When people find a glitch in the game that alows them to acesss powerups or extrapoints by a bug in the programing. No one ever plans for this thing to happen, or do they. I mean, if you drill a whole in a cinder block and were it as a medalian, are you cheating that cinder block out of its natural purpose. True its not the original purpose and destiny of the cinder block, but is it really hurting anyone, despite the fact that you could drop it on your toe or something..

Well I'll admit, the first two are sort of gimmme's but glitching is what I'm really trying to get at. Alot of people think its bad, alot of people think its ok. But who's actualy wrong. Can we say we have the write to cheat, cause we purchased the game. Or can we say its wrong cause it decreases the value of online play for other players.

You cant blame sonicteam for duping cause they did bad programing. Just like you cant blame nintendo for letting you jump on that little shell to get a massive score on mario...

I think cheating is like smoking.. Alot of people think its bad, Alot of people think its good, and Alot of people are indifferent about it. But when someone does it around you you are affected bye it, none the less.

Me personaly, I dont smoke, I think Its bad for you. But when others smoke, I dont preach to them how bad it is, or haras them about how they could catch cancer or something.. But when they do it in the same room as me, I do care then.. Cause I'm experiencing what they are, and If I wanted to do that, then I would smoke.. ya feel me..?

Ness
Jun 27, 2004, 07:57 AM
Cheating is just a tactical advance, nothing more.

Madzozs
Jun 27, 2004, 08:35 AM
What if the cinder block's destiny was to be a medallion?

Eanae
Jun 27, 2004, 10:20 AM
Maybe in an offline game where this doesn't affect others. But look at the consiquences that cheating holds for an online community. I think cheating is wrong no matter what form. Why do people buy a game just to hack the hell out of it, and to cheat their way to the end? That's just no fun to me. I've only ever hacked one game, and that was to hack the hackers. I got some good programs on Diablo and hacked the hell out of the hackers characters. It was good relief for me, cause I hated what they were doing. Making the game so frustrating that I quit. I mean, if I go out and found a legit rare weapon, people would say it's hacked. Rediculous it is.

Bradicus
Jun 27, 2004, 10:34 AM
I do not want nor need help with games. they are made to provide an amusing challenge, and i would only be cheating myself to try and change that.

Ness
Jun 27, 2004, 10:41 AM
I was just thinking about this while working out and it may seem weird, but hear me out.

Cheating is a tactical advance.

Here is the history of PSO battle tactics:

- At first people used their weapons clearing out levels took a long time and there were several casualties.

-Then someone discovered the photon blast. It didn't save much time nor lower the level of casualties much, but it was a start.

- Next, people utilized Shifta and Deband. This lowered the amount of casualties and greatly reduced the time it took to finish a level.

- People started coupling Shifta and Deband with Jellen and Zalure. This further reduced casualties and make clearing levels even faster.

- The first rares were found. Now people could do more damaage with basic attacks.

- The Spread Needle was found and I think it's quite obvious how easy things were with one of those.

- Exploiting came along next. People found out how to take advantage of bugs in the game, giving them better items or experience.

- Then people started cheating. They modified items, making themselves super strong. Thus reducing the casualties to almost nothing and making clearing levels even faster.

People denounce cheating because it gives others an advantage. They say it's just taking the easy way out. Some even go as far as saying that they are superior because they choose not to use these advanced tactics. This is similar to the way some people denouce technology. There are those that consider themselves morally superior because they don't use microwaves or TVs. Other see it as being lazy and taking the easy way out.

Gorthaur
Jun 27, 2004, 11:40 AM
Some types of cheating like duping or stacking in PSO, are okay in my opinion. They aren't doing anything to the items or making their character stronger. But if some one is hacking themselfs so they never die or can use really powerful weapons when they're level 1, isn't. But only the person doing those things can decide if they're okay or not.

Dangerous55
Jun 27, 2004, 12:30 PM
Ness, its a game people pay money for to play online. This isnt a war where these "advanced tactics" will actually pay off by less deaths. Cheating offline is fine, but online where it affects other people is bad and should be done away with.

Bradicus
Jun 27, 2004, 12:51 PM
On 2004-06-27 10:30, Dangerous55 wrote:
Ness, its a game people pay money for to play online. This isnt a war where these "advanced tactics" will actually pay off by less deaths. Cheating offline is fine, but online where it affects other people is bad and should be done away with.

Agreed.
Take Hockey as an example:
It has rules and regulations for a reason. If the other team had grenade launchers they would gain the advantage, but it doesn't make them tactical experts.

Firocket1690
Jun 27, 2004, 02:13 PM
I think cheating is like smoking.. Alot of people think its bad, Alot of people think its good, and Alot of people are indifferent about it. But when someone does it around you you are affected bye it, none the less.

i was about to say that, but d55 took it. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Kadavreski
Jun 27, 2004, 02:21 PM
On 2004-06-27 10:51, Bradicus wrote:

Agreed.
It has rules and regulations for a reason. If the other team had grenade launchers they would gain the advantage, but it doesn't make them tactical experts.

it doesnt say they can't do that in the rules does it?like other cheating.

TheOneHero
Jun 27, 2004, 02:23 PM
I say cheating is all around bad if done on a online game. It just takes the fun out of it for other players in my opinion. I do cheat in offline games only, but i only do it after i have completed the game and gotten everything without having to use cheats. I really only use the cheats just to goof around and make the game more interesing:

*Example*

Moonwalking in Super Mario Bros. 3 for the NES

Well thats all i have to say for the time being...i think i hear something calling my name.

*runs to m&m's he just recently bought*

Kadavreski
Jun 27, 2004, 02:26 PM
mmmmmmmmmm...m&m's. peanut or regular?

duping is bad. no-one wants to hun thru the vhard cave 135+ for God/mind etc.

sega are to blame.they knew about it when they ported pso to xbox yes or no =/?

TheOneHero
Jun 27, 2004, 02:30 PM
On 2004-06-27 12:26, mechgun_mike wrote:
mmmmmmmmmm...m&m's. peanut or regular?

mini's and regular i am doing a experiment, seeing if you get more when you buy a large bag of mini's or a large bag or regular, using highly scientific methods i shall find the answer. Though any m&m's are good...im just not a big fan of the crispy. i have no idea what they were doing when they thought up those. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

Ness
Jun 27, 2004, 03:14 PM

Cheating only effects you if you let it, with some execptions.

Dangerous55
Jun 27, 2004, 03:19 PM
On 2004-06-27 13:14, Ness wrote:

No.

Ness
Jun 27, 2004, 03:26 PM
On 2004-06-27 13:19, Dangerous55 wrote:

On 2004-06-27 13:14, Ness wrote:

No.

Okay then, how does it affect you?

Dangerous55
Jun 27, 2004, 07:01 PM
On 2004-06-27 13:26, Ness wrote:

What game?

PSO, PKing wasnt even in the damn game and people did it. How does that not affect me? People had hacked weapons and would ruin a game or a trade of mine. How does that not affect me?

LostHero
Jun 27, 2004, 07:16 PM
Cheating in an online game is wrong. It ruins trade, cheapens the longevity of the game through releasing items that were planned to be released at special times, allows for the extreme harrassment of other players through malicious cheats and hacks, and ultimately ruins the community (what an online game is suppose to be about) by focing players who want to play legitly to play by themselves or with a few select friends in private games, in addition to alll the other reasons.

It also stops the game creators from releasing new content to enhance the game, because they have to spend their time dealing with the problems cheaters cause.

Trust me on the last one, because I was part of the reason so many quests and events had to be canceled or delayed by Sonic Team during Episode I and ver.2.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LostHero on 2004-06-27 17:18 ]</font>

Ness
Jun 27, 2004, 08:03 PM
On 2004-06-27 17:01, Dangerous55 wrote:

On 2004-06-27 13:26, Ness wrote:

What game?

PSO, PKing wasnt even in the damn game and people did it. How does that not affect me? People had hacked weapons and would ruin a game or a trade of mine. How does that not affect me?

Like I said, there are some exceptions.

LostHero
Jun 27, 2004, 08:07 PM
On 2004-06-27 18:03, Ness wrote:
there are some exceptions.

biggest. understatement. ever.

Dangerous55
Jun 27, 2004, 08:10 PM

Then what the hell are you arguing?

Ness
Jun 27, 2004, 08:28 PM
On 2004-06-27 18:10, Dangerous55 wrote:

Then what the hell are you arguing?

Hey, you started it.

LostHero
Jun 27, 2004, 08:29 PM
you didn't answer his question @_x`

Dangerous55
Jun 27, 2004, 08:30 PM
On 2004-06-27 18:28, Ness wrote:

Hey, you started it.

I did? I must have missed that.

Kent
Jun 28, 2004, 06:45 AM
On 2004-06-27 08:41, Ness wrote:
People denounce cheating because it gives others an advantage.

True.

They say it's just taking the easy way out.

Because it is.

Some even go as far as saying that they are superior because they choose not to use these advanced tactics.

Because, in fact, we are.

This is similar to the way some people denouce technology.

...Not really.

There are those that consider themselves morally superior because they don't use microwaves or TVs.

Pure idiocy.

Other see it as being lazy and taking the easy way out.

ph34r teh Amish.

These exceptions being so astronomically rare, they're practically nonexistant.

InfernoNR7
Jun 28, 2004, 08:51 AM
On 2004-06-27 12:23, TheOneHero wrote:
I say cheating is all around bad if done on a online game. It just takes the fun out of it for other players in my opinion. I do cheat in offline games only, but i only do it after i have completed the game and gotten everything without having to use cheats. I really only use the cheats just to goof around and make the game more interesing:

*Example*

Moonwalking in Super Mario Bros. 3 for the NES

Well thats all i have to say for the time being...i think i hear something calling my name.

*runs to m&m's he just recently bought*

Exactly what I do, beat the game first, THAN use cheats. Makes the game more interesting. Only exceptions are games that I do not have the time (Rented games) to beat (games that you're supposed to beat 30 times with diff characters to get something). And Example of that would be THPS 3(Tony Hawk's PS 3) Which I beat 22 times, and decided to than use another cheat to unlock the two more unlockables because it was getting to be quite boring to beat over and over and over and over ..............

Bradicus
Jun 28, 2004, 09:53 AM
On 2004-06-27 12:21, mechgun_mike wrote:

On 2004-06-27 10:51, Bradicus wrote:

Agreed.

it doesnt say they can't do that in the rules does it?like other cheating.

Bringing a foreign object onto the ice: illegal
Using any type of weapons to damage the ice or players: illegal
Bringing any type of weapon into the arena for the purpose of disrupting a game: illegal