PDA

View Full Version : What's your fastest time? (Episode 1) (ready for download)

PrinceBrightstar
Jun 28, 2004, 02:41 AM
We all know Phantasy Star Online as a game where you fight through 4 areas and essentially release Rico from her bindings. Now lets say you had to start from level 1. No transfering items online before starting. Any version of PSO you wanted to use. How long would it take for someone to get from Forest to Falz on normal from level 1 to the end of the game saving at any point you wanted to?

I just answered the question. Using dreamcast version 1, I came up with a time of 3 hours 17 minutes. Ending level was 16. (and along the way I found an Agito)

Of course you may be wondering why I'd do such a thing. This was another speed run for me. What's a speed run you ask? A speed run is starting from the very beginning of a game, and playing all the way through as fast as possible, and recording the whole thing on video to prove you did it.

This isn't the first time I've done something like this of course. Some of you are probably already familiar with my PSO episode III speed run, which can be found @ http://planetquake.com/sda/other/pso3.html which ended with a time of 3 hours 51 minutes.

Here's the link where you can download the run.
http://www.planetquake.com/sda/other/pso.html

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jonathan_F on 2004-07-22 09:24 ]</font>

jnblz316
Jun 28, 2004, 02:53 AM
well where's the version 1 truth then? i want to see you do a speed run through version1.

PrinceBrightstar
Jun 28, 2004, 02:56 AM
I did this while i was on vacation in florida, I'll get it encoded by tuesday when I get back to summer school for 2nd semester, and until it gets online at SDA, i'll put up a private FTP.

Fyrin
Jun 28, 2004, 10:32 AM
I would have to say that you would honestly need to speed along version 1 to get such a time.

Sitka
Jun 28, 2004, 10:47 AM
Nice concept.

However, I'd prefer to do something similar on c-mode.

End result = really nice weapon.

gream-green
Jun 28, 2004, 01:26 PM
On 2004-06-28 00:41, Jonathan_F wrote:
No transfering items online before starting. Any version of PSO you wanted to use. How long would it take for someone to get from Forest to Falz on normal from level 1 to the end of the game saving at any point you wanted to?
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jonathan_F on 2004-06-28 00:42 ]</font>

...So go ahead and transfer items offline? This does sound an awful lot like c-mode?

PrinceBrightstar
Jul 1, 2004, 03:51 PM
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jonathan_F on 2004-07-22 09:25 ]</font>

Nai_Calus
Jul 1, 2004, 04:32 PM
No offense, but speeding through normal offline doesn't really mean anything at all, unlike, say, TAing C-mode. Offline, solo, isn't at all difficult and even a braindead n00b could do it easily, possibly even with a decent 'time'. A good c-mode time, on the other hand, proves that you can function well in a team and play well with what you're given... Also that you're crazy, but meh. ^_-

Sitka
Jul 1, 2004, 05:12 PM
100% total agreement with Ian on this one.

Playing c-mode and playing it well is PSO in the purest form, IMHO.

There's nothing quite like finishing off Falz with 0 scape dolls, 0 mates, 0 fluids, 0 TP and about 3 HP - for every member of the team.

That is what PSO memories are all about!

And that feeling when you earn and name your first ss-rank weapon - nothing better in all of PSO, IMHO.

gream-green
Jul 1, 2004, 06:41 PM
On 2004-07-01 15:12, Sitka wrote:
Playing c-mode and playing it well is PSO in the purest form, IMHO.

Although I humbly disagree, I do get what your saying. People just play the normal game wrong...you are pretty much forced to play c-mode well unless you want it to be a total waste of time.

Sitka
Jul 1, 2004, 06:47 PM
I do understand what you're saying and I agree with YOU Gream,

However,

It is just fun to play without noobs.

And that tends to be mostly in c-mode, for me.

Although I'm a noob - in c-mode.

So, I guess I'll inflict my noobness in c-mode on vets like you and Asia - if you don't mind.

And hope I can shake some of this noobness off eventually.

PrinceBrightstar
Jul 1, 2004, 09:39 PM
I had plans to do such a thing but no one ever signed up to be part of the team because no one has a way of capturing video so i could do a 4 way split screen on the final product. THus, I was forced to just do this quick run through of the regular game.

PrinceBrightstar
Jul 22, 2004, 11:25 AM
Sorry for the bump, The main download site is finally up. Enjoy.

http://www.planetquake.com/sda/other/pso.html

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jonathan_F on 2004-07-22 09:30 ]</font>

Stan64
Jul 22, 2004, 04:46 PM
Jonathan, I signed up though. o.o

Downloading now. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

PrinceBrightstar
Jul 22, 2004, 07:40 PM
...well I guess it still stands, um...

Lets see if we can find 2 others then.