PDA

View Full Version : Parents and Video Games

Eanae
Jun 28, 2004, 04:14 PM
I bought FFXI today. I couldn't wait to get that game into my hands. I load it up onto my computer, everything goes really smooth.

I come downstairs to tell my mom I'm bringing my computer down because I'm going to start playing it, and she totally flips out on me saying that I couldn't play it! She let me buy the damn thing, but now she's saying I can play! What the hell!? I paid $68 bucks! (I got the strategy guide too). I can't resell it because it's illegal, and I really don't think the store will take it back. *sighs* I hate parents some times. Edit that... all the time... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rant.gif

DruidMettool
Jun 28, 2004, 04:19 PM
Parents fail to understand the impact of video games into our every-day lives. Video games are as important to people like us as music is to other people.

Maybe because they're flat-out old...

InfernoNR7
Jun 28, 2004, 04:55 PM
Why? Why? What? How would your mom suddenly turn 180* and make you not be able to play it? Maybe it's cuz you wanted to move the computer?

Psst. EBAY

Firocket1690
Jun 28, 2004, 07:35 PM
On 2004-06-28 14:14, Eanae wrote:
I come downstairs to tell my mom I'm bringing my computer down
???

Oh, and if you can't get past playing it, don't bother to tell her about the online fee >=D

14.99/month x.x

Ness
Jun 28, 2004, 08:00 PM
That really sucks. All I can say is talk to her.

AUTO_
Jun 28, 2004, 08:36 PM
On 2004-06-28 14:19, DruidMettool wrote:
Parents fail to understand the impact of video games into our every-day lives. Video games are as important to people like us as music is to other people.

Well said.

And I love the assumption made today by parents/grown ups that videogames are nothing more then a waste of time for people.

Eanae
Jun 28, 2004, 09:21 PM
14.99/month x.x

12.99 a month http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Mixfortune
Jun 28, 2004, 09:23 PM
On 2004-06-28 19:21, Eanae wrote:

14.99/month x.x

12.99 a month http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Plus the cost of the characters themselves.
So, roughly, 14.99/month, unless you have a lot of characters.

Ness
Jun 28, 2004, 09:36 PM
The first one (character) is free.

shifter
Jun 28, 2004, 09:59 PM
ouch, that sounds really bad. my advice is to try and talk to her and hopefully get her to see it your way. if not, as said before, go to ebay. people on there will buy anything, i have a friend whos bought bowling balls on there(no lie), so your bound to find a buyer for it, you just might not get all your money back.

Myopathy
Jun 28, 2004, 10:09 PM
People, don't look so down on your parents. They just understand that video games are evil.

We all love video games, but we all have to come to the realization one day that video games have a very high potential to be evil.

theendisnear
Jun 28, 2004, 10:32 PM
On 2004-06-28 18:36, AUTO_ wrote:

On 2004-06-28 14:19, DruidMettool wrote:

Well said.

And I love the assumption made today by parents/grown ups that videogames are nothing more then a waste of time for people.

and then the parents videogames *rot* your mind when actually TELEVISION is much MUCH worse than videogames (thats a scientific fact by the way)

InfernoNR7
Jun 30, 2004, 12:08 AM
On 2004-06-28 20:32, theendisnear wrote:
and then the parents videogames *rot* your mind when actually TELEVISION is much MUCH worse than videogames (thats a scientific fact by the way)

Can you tell me the place where the scientific data was compiled? Something like Unitversity Libraries, Medical Journals, etc. I'd love to show it to my mother, who dislikes video games. Tho my father likes them, in a way, I wouldn't mind showing it to him to help me convince mom......

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: InfernoNR7 on 2004-06-29 22:09 ]</font>

Garanz2
Jun 30, 2004, 10:33 AM
My mum sets me time limits when I'm using the computer. If I don't adhere to those limits, she yells at me to stop wasting my life in front of a screen. No, she does not need the computer for work or anything, she just hates to see me using it. When I come off the PC, I typically go downstairs, get a snack, jump on the sofa and watch TV. She doesn't bat an eyelid.

WTF?! Parents are strange...

InfernoNR7
Jun 30, 2004, 12:58 PM
On 2004-06-30 08:33, Garanz2 wrote:
My mum sets me time limits when I'm using the computer. If I don't adhere to those limits, she yells at me to stop wasting my life in front of a screen. No, she does not need the computer for work or anything, she just hates to see me using it. When I come off the PC, I typically go downstairs, get a snack, jump on the sofa and watch TV. She doesn't bat an eyelid.

WTF?! Parents are strange...

Same way with my mom, she hates me being on the computer and the Xbox, but doesn't care if I watch TV all day. At least Video Games help with hand-eye coordination.