PDA

View Full Version : Be safe and back-up your character!

Jaiden
Feb 20, 2001, 09:06 PM
As long as you maintain a backup of your char file then you don't need to worry about losing your best weapons, etc...

personally I have never had anything stolen from my character but I DID use my backup after the game crashed and I lost everything (last saturday, actually...)

All you hafta do is e-mail your char file to a safe place so you can retrieve it later. I use web-browser 2.0 and it works wonderfully.

PS. DO NOT BACKUP YOUR GUILD CARD FILE. I haven't tried this but I hear that it corrupts the main save file when you do.

DW
Feb 21, 2001, 10:37 AM
What e-mail service you use to backup your character? I tried MSN but the web browser wouldn't let me do it.

Manifest
Feb 28, 2001, 03:00 AM
can I get a clearer explaination of this? Ive only used my dreamcast to go online with PSO. do you mean I need to email the file through the web browser?

CrimsonKnight
Feb 28, 2001, 09:19 AM
I just bought a "Double Power" VMU File Transfer device. It lets you copy any copy-protected files. I have backups of both my characters. No worries about losing stuff for me!!

Roaddogg
Feb 28, 2001, 09:57 AM
yup double power is the best

Ambel
Mar 2, 2001, 10:44 AM
Hows does the "Double Power" Works?

and also can someone tell me the steps to setup a pop account in DC? I wanted to backup my char.

Thx

KarnaJ
Mar 2, 2001, 03:03 PM
You can back up your guild card file via email just fine, the reason it says the pso_____sys was corrupt is because a controller/keyboard/vmu/etc was removed while the email was loading. Just don't unplug anything while the little orage/blue circle is up, and you'll be fine, no corruptions. If it says it's corrupt, go back to the main mail page and load it again, it will be fine this time.

PePiTo
Mar 2, 2001, 05:23 PM
I've tried this- but since im using Juno on my dreamcast, and it wont allow you to do send e-mails. RRRGGH! it really gets me mad because my character has been BSOD ed so many times. I finally thought of a way out of this pain and look! It doesnt work! Grrrr.

paulmck
Mar 4, 2001, 07:15 PM
I would like a clear explanation of how to backup my character.Please make it clear.Treat me like a retard because i dont want to lose my game because of misreading something.

Reign
Mar 4, 2001, 09:26 PM
Here is the deal w/ backing up the char...

After much frustration and corrupted files I have got this to work so here?s how to do it.

First off I have heard that you need to use v2.0 web browser.. That? the only one I have, so that?s what I used. I don't know if the others work. If you don?t have v2.0 you can get it from sega for free (4-7 days in mail) or from funcoland for .49 cents.

Next, log on using the browser. Press start to pull up the menu bar and go to mail. Make sure that the vmu you want to backup is in the controller 1 slot, and NO OTHER VMUS are in any controls. (I'll explain why in a sec) Fill out "To" section with your email (the one you can access from your DC, not some AOL account or something)

Now here comes the paranoid part. I don't know if Sega can filter this type of thing, but I would put something in the Subject and body of the email as well, and not anything about PSO. Every time I have mentioned "PSO" as the subject the file has been corrupted. Maybe some sort of counter measure to catch dupers or maybe just my bad luck. But anyway, next, I recommend attaching 1 or more NON-PSO files before you attach the PSO SYS file.

Again, I don't know if this is something sega has done, but everytime I have attempted to attach ONLY the PSO SYS file, when I go to D/L it, it's corrupted. I finally got it to work by attaching a Capcom VS. Snk file first, then the PSO SYS file. DO NOT ATTACH THE GUILD CARD FILE, THIS WILL CORRUPT IT FOR SURE.

Ok, now that you?ve done all that, click send. Take out the VMU from slot 1, and put in another. (or u can just leave the file in limbo online which I don't trust) The reason for only 1 slot at a time may be more paranoia on my part, but every time I left a 2nd controller in with a VMU and tried to D/L to it, guess what, corrupted. So to get it to work with no problems, I recommend switching the VMU after the file is sent and using the same slot.

Strangely, when I went to go D/L it, the Snk file was corrupted but not the PSO SYS one.

I think that just about covers it,,,sorry if this is an anal explanation, but it took 2 days for me to get this to work, and I got so pissed I broke a browser disk in the process. Hope this helps someone out there. Its worth it though, when RENO ran off with my Chain Sawd +30 I could care less,,,,He must have wanted it real bad though.

dev1nsan
Mar 5, 2001, 12:53 AM
I would like to backup my character but I can't get into my email. I was wondering how to set up your email acount. I would call sega about this but I don't want to rock the boat, you see I still have my fifty free hours and I know that I've put atleast 150 hours into PSO alone.
So anywayz, how do you set your email acount.
I have a hotmail acount but when I put that into the configuration it says the host is busy try again later. PLZ HELP!

Xaken
Mar 6, 2001, 07:06 PM
A weird thing keeps happening to my Backup file and I don't know what to do about it.

My current file is messed up so I've been trying to restore my back-up.

First a question: To the people that have had there backups corrupted, when did you get notified? Was it just as you tired to copy the file back to the VMU?

Anyway, my file copies fine to my VMU.

Now, I go to play PSO. Here is where things get funky. If I play off-line, everything is great. But if I try going on-line I'm not so lucky.

After connecting I get a message from the servers claiming my file is corrupt and that all my character's items will now be reset to those from the beginning of the game.

My bank is empty, my inventory erased, and all they have left me with is a Handgun, a Frame, and a level 5 MAG!!!

Cirrsplat
Mar 6, 2001, 07:34 PM
Xaken, same thing happened to me. I think Sega is cracking down on people using this method. Now my level 70 character is ruined, and I have to start all over. By the way, I didn't cheaty to get to level 70. I clocked in about 100 hours for that, and now it's all gone. And I loved that charcter too =(

Xaken
Mar 6, 2001, 08:17 PM
What I'm trying to figure out is what Sega is doing! I don't use Sega.net, I have a third party ISP.

I really don't understand how the game can work off-line, but not on-line.

Another weird things is this:

I let the server wipe my invertory, and then tired to connect again... but I get the same error message AGAIN.

I actually had to let the wipe happen, and THEN play the game off-line, just so that the servers would let me back on!!

I really just don't get how they know if it's a back-up or not. It can't be that something is really corrupted or the file wouldn't work off-line either. They are doing SOMETHING to identify restored data... the question is.. WHAT.

MSZ-016
Mar 6, 2001, 08:32 PM
hmm... i do not know for sure but after talking with sega tech support (after losing 2 of my characters) all i could get out of them was that the save SYS file contains your DC machine information as well as the serial/access key info. also, they mentioned that the internal DC flash rom stores this information as well. but i can not verify this. i still haven't found a good way to back up my character even after losing 2 char's.

skidz_2000
Mar 7, 2001, 02:05 PM
Just yesterday i sent my char file to my e-mail the way it says ubove. But when i go there it says i have to download it to my computer? I dont know if im doing it right but please let me know.

darius
Mar 7, 2001, 08:54 PM
I don't know what the trouble is with everyone backing up their charachters. I've made backups that work perfectly. I also don't know why people are saying that you can't make a backup of your guild card. I do it all the time and it works fine. And for all of you that have lost your items because of that error message that says your file is corrupt, this is because Sega has now put in a time stamp thing that tells when you were last online. Therefore, if you connect and use a backup character, the timestamps won't match and your items will be reset. You can still use your backup character in offline mode because it doesn't check timestamps, but if you get the BSOD online, you are basically screwed. A solution to not losing your good items is DON'T carry them with you. Keep them in your storage on the Pioneer 2. The only thing you lose with the BSOD is the stuff you don't have equiped and are carrying with you. I hope this clears up some issues with the backup situation.

Daggeron
Mar 7, 2001, 10:06 PM
Here is a tip on how to bypass the changes. Just load up your character in offline and play. Or if you don't feel like playing offline just load him/her up in offline and walk away for a hour or two. The object is to get your timestamp of your backup past what sega has recorded for your current save. Then log on and it will work. I've done it twice so far and have not had problems. Instead of killing saves like that, they should try to implement some type of mechanism that zaps items that are identical (IE. Duped). Just some FYI.