PDA

View Full Version : Cheaters? Legits? Does it really Matter?

Ness
Jul 1, 2004, 12:45 PM
How about if everyone just shuts the fuck up, plays the way they want to, and gets off of each other's backs!

FOAtHeart
Jul 1, 2004, 02:02 PM
*applauds*

Thank you, Ness! A viewpoint I can agree with finally.

(shouldn't this be in Rants?)

DOG21313
Jul 1, 2004, 03:08 PM
I agree, unless one of them is causing harm (IE: Fsod, stealing experience, being a jackass). I dont care as long as I get to play the way I want to.

Nai_Calus
Jul 1, 2004, 03:12 PM
Yeah, but legits can be jackasses and steal exp too. >_< Ever play with even a legit high-level HUcast? Sometimes shit will die before you can even J/Z it. >_<;

TatuPreb119
Jul 1, 2004, 03:20 PM
I don't care about cheaters as long as they are cool and understand that they should at least give people a chance to get some exp... I haven't played an online teal game in about a month now.. It's just too frustrating now-a-days

LoreSeeker
Jul 1, 2004, 03:47 PM
Some people want to play in legit only games, and I can respect that, so I generally stay out of them (unless I'm on my legit char). If I'm playing as one of my non-legit chars, I will try to hold back (especially in lower difficulties) so that everyone else can get their hits in.

I don't seriously get pissed off at non-legits, except earlier today when a low level FOnewearl came into a game and started one-hit-killing everything with a Bringer's Rifle. That sucked.

Miroku77
Jul 1, 2004, 03:49 PM
im fine with people cheating as long as they dont just always run ahead to get all the exp. And as long as they let non-cheaters and legits play the way they want. The only thing i dont like about cheating is when people bust out a duped Heavens Punisher and kill everything in the room before you can get to it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Miroku77 on 2004-07-01 13:50 ]</font>

Sitka
Jul 1, 2004, 04:28 PM
I was playing this morning and a level 85 Fonewearl pipes into the game.

"Hi" I said.

No response.

Diwari mag, red saber - one hit kills everything she touches.

No S & D, no J & Z, no R & A - WTF!

This is not the way to play the game people.

And all of you people wearing red rings, please stop calling your games "legit only!" You may be nice people, you may be fun to play with, I have no problem playing with you all - but you ain't "legit."

Anyway, Ness, I agree we should let people play the way they want, I'm just tired of asking people to leave my game because they're either noob-cheating retards or their 100% legit-flaming retards.

That's all.

Nai_Calus
Jul 1, 2004, 04:49 PM
I find a far better indicator of competence to be playing with a person and observing how they play. I've met uber-legits who were utterly incompetent, and cheaters who were awesome. And vice versa, of course. My FOmar, Zero, used a Red Ring and a Dark Bridge while he was doing his solo runs of the first two rooms of West Tower looking for a MKB. He used a weapon or two of questionable authenticity when he meleed. Does that make me an incompetent asshole? Ask the people I used to play with online who always complemented me on my support FO-ing skills. XP

I've met some very rude legits who would sit there and bitch the entire time about people who cheat and spam symbol chats about legitness and how much cheaters suck. They were not fun to be around. It was incredibly amusing because if I knew a game is legit, I didn't cheat, period. I didn't dupe a bunch of mats or tech disks and use them, either, so. They obviously didn't know. It would be amusing to know what their reactions would have been if I'd just piped up, gotten *insert uberly-hacked weapon here* and come back down with it. XP
I've met some very rude, stupid cheaters who couldn't play the game to save their lives, spam idiotic poronographic symbol chats and are generally fuckwits. They're no fun to be around either.

One of the best support Forces I've run into was a FOmarl in a TTF on Antares 8 who used a Dark Bridge the entire time, and provided support on a level that met even my impossibly high support standards. The player was simply a good player, and the DB didn't take from that at all. The team wound up sitting around talking after we owned Falz, and they were actually fun to talk with.
Other horribly competent, fascinating people who are a good time are also legits. They're not the uber- variety. They may not approve of what you do when you're not around them, but they won't crucify you for it, and they tend to care more if you're fun to play with and competent.

There's good people and bad people on both sides, and the entire argument is ridiculous and seems to always boil back down to 'OMG DUPE-USERS ARE INCOMPETENT FUCKTARDS OUT TO RUIN THE GAME!!!'. Sorry, wrong. I've never been out to 'ruin' the game. I think ST not doing anything about FSOD and corruption have ruined it far more than a non-existant trade economy ever will.

Sitka
Jul 1, 2004, 05:22 PM
Amen Ian. (claps).

Ness
Jul 1, 2004, 08:54 PM
On 2004-07-01 12:02, FOAtHeart wrote:
*applauds*

Thank you, Ness! A viewpoint I can agree with finally.

(shouldn't this be in Rants?)

I was going to put it there, but I thought "this will only get moved tot he cheaters section so I might as well put it here."

*EDIT*

Great post, Ian.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ness on 2004-07-01 18:56 ]</font>

MaxiColor
Jul 1, 2004, 09:01 PM
Sometimes dupers with their TJ swords and Lavis Cannons still suck. O_O;

LoreSeeker
Jul 1, 2004, 10:09 PM
On 2004-07-01 19:01, MaxiColor wrote:
Sometimes dupers with their TJ swords and Lavis Cannons still suck. O_O;

Agreed. Some people just suck, period.

There was this one level 200 HUne who joined my game, and I figured, what the hell, seabed is pretty hard. She can help. I was curious as to her legitimacy, so I asked if her char was legit, to which she answered yes. After we got down to seabed and I observed her for a short period of time, the other team members and I became increasingly aware of the fact that she had no techs, no weapons, and probably no armor to speak of. The other people in the team tried to be nice and keep her alive and give her decent tech disks, but this fool just kept getting killed.

That's just proof that if you can't fight your way out of a paper bag, being level 200 isn't going to help you. I can't imagine how a person who soucks so bad could have possibly obtained level 200 legitly... silly liars.

Fyrin
Jul 1, 2004, 10:23 PM
See, I never really played online to witness cheaters who claim to be legit and such but hopefully coming up torwards the end of this month there will be a change...

Gjl
Jul 2, 2004, 08:58 AM
On 2004-07-01 10:45, Ness wrote:
How about if everyone just shuts the fuck up, plays the way they want to, and gets off of each other's backs!

While it's easy to make lots of 'politically correct' statements, the problem is that nothing is going to change from them.

The main issue is that legits can't join games with cheaters if they want to be 100% legit but cheaters can join legit games and still cheat as they wish. There are also a lot of assholes who will intentionally join legit games just to piss the people off with their hacked gear. Legits that whine a lot are also just as bad but their numbers are far fewer since the stereotypical cheater fits this mentality more.

It's very difficult for the two groups to play together since they contradict each other. Think of a capitalist state with communism - it won't work.

It would be nice if Sonic Team had legit only and cheater only servers like with Diablo 2, but the problem is that assholes will still play in the wrong servers just to annoy people (like with Diablo 2). Oh, and Sonic Team don't give a shit about what people want.

It also might be worth mentioning that cheating is against the rules that you agreed to before playing online http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif. However Sonic Team are too lazy/cheap to enforce the rules and I imagine a lot of PSO subscribers break a lot of the rules.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gjl on 2004-07-02 07:00 ]</font>

Ness
Jul 2, 2004, 10:03 AM
How does having a cheater in my game affect my legitimacy?

Gjl
Jul 2, 2004, 10:34 AM
On 2004-07-02 08:03, Ness wrote:
How does having a cheater in my game affect my legitimacy?

You are reaping the fruits of that cheaters actions. He is killing enemies at far faster rates and you are gaining exp from him, therefore you are benefitting from his actions, his cheating. Therefore your legitimacy would be questionable.

Plus there are other effects such as items dropped by the cheater.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gjl on 2004-07-02 08:35 ]</font>

Ness
Jul 2, 2004, 11:26 AM
On 2004-07-02 08:34, Gjl wrote:

You are reaping the fruits of that cheaters actions. He is killing enemies at far faster rates and you are gaining exp from him, therefore you are benefitting from his actions, his cheating. Therefore your legitimacy would be questionable.

Not really. Anyone reasonable would understand that the situation was beyond your control. You can't help the fact the he killed things faster than you and you got EXP from it. So you are still legit.

Plus there are other effects such as items dropped by the cheater.

No one forces you to pick up those items.

TatuPreb119
Jul 2, 2004, 11:55 AM
I agree with ness theres no way to control what someone else does in a game.. If I've been playing with friends for hours running through the game and have almost completely beaten it and someone comes into the game and is cheating I'm not going to quit because of that..

Sitka
Jul 2, 2004, 11:55 AM
The concept of two PSO games, one for cheaters and one for legits, will never work.

Bodybuilding has "open" contests and "drug free" contests.

I personally know and have trained with many of the "drug free" winners who were only drug free when it came time to test. And if their was an undetectable drug ("The Clear"), they were on that too.

Play the way you like.

If you enter my "legit only" game with your hacks, I'll politely ask you to leave. If you don't, I'll dc and start a password-protected game. It really is the only way.

Or, play c-mode like there is no tomorrow.

adamgnome104
Jul 2, 2004, 01:38 PM
Legit flaming jackasses suck.
Unlegit flaming jackasses suck.

What you said was right everyone should calm down...I joined a game called ANYONE and some legit dude started flaming me for usin ga CHAIN SAWD...just...wtf..

ForceOfBrokenGlass
Jul 2, 2004, 02:02 PM
This is the thing that bothered me about this pointless ongoing argument of cheaters vs. legits. Too much overgeneralization. Most legits seemed to think that all cheaters were idiots. I remember hearing some guy's dumb ideas to solve cheating(They weren't new ideas and many boards have disproven their potential.) I agrued with him for a moment and after it ended he said "Why an advocate for cheating? You seem much more intelegent than their kind." I was personally about to explode but I managed to keep quiet for that moment. That guy made it seem like cheaters were less than human.

digigram
Jul 2, 2004, 02:24 PM
who.. me? .. lol.. you don't even know the extent.

LoreSeeker
Jul 2, 2004, 08:58 PM
On 2004-07-02 12:02, ForceOfBrokenGlass wrote:
This is the thing that bothered me about this pointless ongoing argument of cheaters vs. legits. Too much overgeneralization. Most legits seemed to think that all cheaters were idiots. I remember hearing some guy's dumb ideas to solve cheating(They weren't new ideas and many boards have disproven their potential.) I agrued with him for a moment and after it ended he said "Why an advocate for cheating? You seem much more intelegent than their kind." I was personally about to explode but I managed to keep quiet for that moment. That guy made it seem like cheaters were less than human.

I HATE the morons who generalize like that. From now on, my team shall be called "no asswipes" and I won't let asswipes join my game. Damn, PSO needs a feature to let the team's creator kick members out...

Anuminus
Jul 2, 2004, 09:49 PM
On 2004-07-02 11:38, adamgnome104 wrote:
Legit flaming jackasses suck.
Unlegit flaming jackasses suck.

What you said was right everyone should calm down...I joined a game called ANYONE and some legit dude started flaming me for usin ga CHAIN SAWD...just...wtf..

Right On! Ok, fine, I admit it. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif I duped a couple lck mats! Seriously, this topic had a great point. I play fairly and try to be a good person to others in PSO. I duped a couple materials but thats it. I'm not uber but I am pretty good for my lv., I use that strength to help the people I play with. All my friends enjoy playing with me, I don't hog exp., I wait if someone is behind, and I really try to just be a good person with people online and local friends. Great posts Adamknome and everyone else.