PDA

View Full Version : Locked topics.

Uncle_bob
Jul 1, 2004, 07:33 PM
Why lock someone's topic because other people posted some inappropriate replies when you could just issure warnings and/or delete the offending replies? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

It just seems fscking asinine...seen so many good threads die that way. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

Sef
Jul 1, 2004, 07:37 PM
I was going to say, "What if the people keep replying?", but that's where warning's and bans come into play...I'd have to say there's truth in what Uncle says.

Maybe we should try this out? Eh, who am I kidding, I don't think they'll try it.

Dhylec
Jul 1, 2004, 07:48 PM
yah, edit & delete can be done.. to certain extend
but, meehhh.. we are lazy.. lock is faster! >.>
not all, but some needed to be that way..
so behave & be ok http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

geewj
Jul 1, 2004, 07:52 PM
A few reasons.

First off it depends on the topic.

If it's the kind of topic that is a breeding ground for things against the forum rules (not because it was created with that intent, but simply because they are common responses to it IE: Who is better that who threads) then there is no point in having the thread. The mods don't want to have to continually mod the same topic, and we also don't want to have topics that people often get warnings in.

Second, if a topic has basically served its purpose, and was ended with a bunch of spam or something, then there is no need to go edit out all the spam so the topic can sink to the bottom of the forum in peace.

Third, if it's all scattered thoughout the topic then I don't want to have to sit there for 10 minutes and clean up the topic. If it's really a topic that people had lots to say on but didnt get a chance because one person came in and spammed it up, then someone most likely will make a similar topic.

Any good threads that have died because of locks, that were never remade in some way were probably ones that people couldn't control themselves in.

And it's downright irresponsible to the users to let threads stay that we know people are going to overreact in, and get warning or banned.

ABDUR101
Jul 1, 2004, 07:57 PM
There's really no need to turn a thread which was a rant about what happened recently in someone's life, into a conversation talking about what someone or their friends have vandalised, nor to encourage vandalism. Not on these forums.

And don't bother ranting about what a staff member does. You are free to go to any other forum if you don't like what is done here.

Ness
Jul 1, 2004, 08:38 PM
With all due respect, maybe you guys could keep an open mind when your users complain instead of the usual "if you don't like it, leave" philosophy. Not all of you are like that, but some of you are. It would actually be beneficial to you guys and PSOW as a whole as well. And that's what I care about: making PSOW a better place.

I too am bothered by this. My thread got deleted because somone posted Ar codes in it. Why couldn't you guys just delete his post instead of deleting my whole thread.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ness on 2004-07-01 18:41 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ness on 2004-07-01 18:41 ]</font>

geewj
Jul 1, 2004, 09:10 PM
This is a topic about locked topics, not suggestions for the mods and PSOW. If you have suggestions post them in Site Related, or PM an admin. I'd hate to have to lock this for going off topic. The irony would be too much.

geewj
Jul 1, 2004, 09:16 PM
On 2004-07-01 18:38, Ness wrote:

I too am bothered by this. My thread got deleted because somone posted Ar codes in it. Why couldn't you guys just delete his post instead of deleting my whole thread.

So make a similar thread if you really want to continue discussing it, so long as it isnt one of the types of threads I described earlier. If you're not gonna put forth the effort to continue to be able to discuss the topic, then don't expect us to.

Ness
Jul 1, 2004, 09:20 PM
I'm sorry. It's just that things like that make it sound like you don't care about us. Before you get on me about being a drama queen, take into consideration that there are two types of care.

Type I - The loving kind of care. This is the care you ahve for a family member for friend. This is not the kind of care I'm talking about.

Type II - The business care. This is the kind of care that companies have for their customers. They cater to their needs and listen to their complaints in oder to imporve their products. This is the kind of care I'm talking about.

Firocket1690
Jul 1, 2004, 09:20 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=85323&forum=11&12

... ?

Aredhel
Jul 1, 2004, 10:06 PM
Businesses have an incentive to listen to customers and improve the quality of their product or service. What incentives do the mods have to spend their lives sifting through peoples dumbass comments, especially when there's so many people complaining about the very job they're doing?

They're only human - do they not want care type #1 in return also?! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Ness
Jul 1, 2004, 10:15 PM
On 2004-07-01 20:06, Aredhel wrote:
Businesses have an incentive to listen to customers and improve the quality of their product or service. What incentives do the mods have to spend their lives sifting through peoples dumbass comments, especially when there's so many people complaining about the very job they're doing?

They're only human - do they not want care type #1 in return also?! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Well in my opinion, having members to moderate is a pretty good incentive. If people feel that they are being ignored, they will stop coming. While this board is far from ignoring people, it could become that way.

Well look at it this way. Gamespy makes money off of this board (ads and stuff), but if no one comes to this board then how who will click on the ads? The advertisers will eventually pull out and this board will no longer make Gamespy money so they will tell eRUPT to take it down.

KodiaX987
Jul 1, 2004, 10:40 PM
#1: Shitloads of people come here despite the current way of modding.

#2: Your forum is tiny, Ness. PSOW has thousands of members and hundreds of posts per day. The mods take maybe at least an hour to go through the daily crap and filter things. They have other things to do. For them, the simplest and most effective way of dealing with crap is to lock it. They aren't going to edit every page of it. It takes too long, and there would be too many posts to edit.

#3: I'm an op at #PSOW. I've gradually lost the motivation to deal with crap. Nowadays, if someone tried to be a fuckhead around me, I insta-ban him. If people don't know how to use the Internet, they shouldn't use it at all, and it's not a mod or an op who's gonna take 'em by the hand and teach them the ropes of it. I have better things to do, you have better things to do, we all have better things to do.

Ness
Jul 1, 2004, 11:19 PM
But I used to moderate a forum that was almost the size of this one. You're right it is alot of work, but that still doesn't mean that they can't care aobut their members. Hell, some of the mods here mangae to do it, why not all of them? I understand that they have lives and such, but it doesn't take that much time to show a little bit of care. Trust me, I've done it.

Also people come here now, but if you notice, the join rate is starting to slow down. Now that is not due to the way the mods run this place. Like I said, I think they do a good job it is just that they could do better. PSO is a dying game so less and less people are interested in it, let alone boards that are about it. Eventually more people will be leaving than those that are coming in. Even now, it can be seen. Out of the 30000 members that have joined this place, how many of them still post?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ness on 2004-07-01 21:22 ]</font>

KodiaX987
Jul 1, 2004, 11:37 PM
Reading through a topic, figuring out whether or not to lock it: 20 seconds.

Reading through a topic, figuring out if it needs editing, editing out all the offensive posts and giving warnings: 2.5 minutes.

Multiply both values by the number of new posts at PSOW per day.

With locks, productivity goes up. And with just that, the mods care more about us than at 95% of all Internet forums.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KodiaX987 on 2004-07-01 21:38 ]</font>

geewj
Jul 1, 2004, 11:37 PM
Ok, once again. If you want to discuss your concerns about the community then make a thread in site related. Or if you want to rant about it, then make one in rants, just stop talking about it in this thread. Second time I've said it. Next one is a warning.