PDA

View Full Version : Blocking

InfinityXXX
Jul 2, 2004, 09:42 PM
You know when an enemy hits you and you block. Do defense plays a part in how often you block or is it the sheild alone?

InfernoNR7
Jul 2, 2004, 09:50 PM
Maybe it's luck, but I don't know. Might be a combo of Def and Lck.

Solstis
Jul 2, 2004, 10:02 PM
Evasion determines the traditional block.

When you block and get knocked backwards, that is your Def negating all damage.

Luck does nothing for blocking.

lain2k3
Jul 2, 2004, 10:04 PM
Wow. A good question from a new member.

Thats practically unheard of.

And as for the question, we havent really found out. We know it has to do with your evp and dfp, and enemy atp and ata, and nothing else, but we havent found order of significance or any ratios yet.

RFB
Jul 2, 2004, 10:08 PM
It depends on the enemy ATA and your EVP. If the enemy does hit you, then it is down to the enemy ATP and your DFP.

lain2k3
Jul 2, 2004, 10:10 PM
On 2004-07-02 20:08, RFB wrote:
It depends on the enemy ATA and your EVP. If the enemy does hit you, then it is down to the enemy ATP and your DFP.

That is my current belief, but nothing has been proven thusfar.

Solstis
Jul 2, 2004, 10:15 PM
On 2004-07-02 20:10, lain2k3 wrote:

That is my current belief, but nothing has been proven thusfar.

no, that is how that works.

I recall an old thread... somewhere that explained that.

Para
Jul 2, 2004, 10:17 PM
I thought Blocking was based on enemy ATA and your EVP. Where if the monster hits but you block that should be the work of EVP. And as for DFP thats when you take a hit from a monster but determines how much damage you take and whether you get knocked down or not?

Solstis
Jul 2, 2004, 10:20 PM
On 2004-07-02 20:17, Nites wrote:
I thought Blocking was based on enemy ATA and your EVP. Where if the monster hits but you block that should be the work of EVP. And as for DFP thats when you take a hit from a monster but determines how much damage you take and whether you get knocked down or not?

RFB
Jul 2, 2004, 10:26 PM
About the being knocked down, I think it depends on how much Life % the hit takes from you.

K4t4n4
Jul 2, 2004, 10:54 PM
No knocked down depends on your DFP I think. If you have too much but no hp you stay standing up and you can repeatedly be attacked my monsters for about a large amount of damage. Its kinda better to be knocked down. That is why hacked mags can be dangerous. You stay standing (because of the extra DFP) but your health is low (because you shouldn't be that strong yet) and you can be killed in like 10 seconds.

lain2k3
Jul 2, 2004, 11:17 PM
On 2004-07-02 20:54, K4t4n4 wrote:
No knocked down depends on your DFP I think. If you have too much but no hp you stay standing up and you can repeatedly be attacked my monsters for about a large amount of damage. Its kinda better to be knocked down. That is why hacked mags can be dangerous. You stay standing (because of the extra DFP) but your health is low (because you shouldn't be that strong yet) and you can be killed in like 10 seconds.

Getting knocked down is directly relevant to how much hp it takes. If the attack takes less than 1/4 of your total hp, you will not fall over.

Jason
Jul 3, 2004, 09:24 AM
On 2004-07-02 21:17, lain2k3 wrote:

On 2004-07-02 20:54, K4t4n4 wrote:

Getting knocked down is directly relevant to how much hp it takes. If the attack takes less than 1/4 of your total hp, you will not fall over.

Keep in mind that thumping pilars will make you fall over if it hit you even if you get little damage. But you're correct on falling down from creatures and robots. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Ketchup345
Jul 3, 2004, 09:42 AM
On 2004-07-03 07:24, Jason wrote:
Keep in mind that thumping pilars will make you fall over if it hit you even if you get little damage. But you're correct on falling down from creatures and robots. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Also, there are other attacks that automatically make you fall.

One of them is an Assassin's charge. I think there are more, but I'm not 100% sure.

lain2k3
Jul 3, 2004, 11:53 AM
On 2004-07-03 07:42, Ketchup345 wrote:

One of them is an Assassin's charge. I think there are more, but I'm not 100% sure.

If you EVP block an assassins charge, you wont fall over. Ive done it >_>

Rainbowlemon
Jul 4, 2004, 07:12 AM
Also, I'm almost certain that your DFP, and the enemy's ATP, contributes to the chance of a successful block - It's the only explanation I can think of as to why my characters block more if I cast deband, and block even more still if I cast jellen on the enemy.

Kupi
Jul 4, 2004, 01:50 PM
I'm pretty sure that if the enemy deals you 0 damage, you'll perform the shield animation as if your EVP had blocked a physical attack that would otherwise damage you. However, there are also instances where your character will flinch as if they'd been hit, but suffer no HP damage. In those instances, I think the enemy's ATP is allllmost enought to do damage, but not quite.

In other words, if your DFP is definitely high enough to negate all damage from a specific enemy, you'll do the shield-block animation even if the attack would have hit you. If the enemy is on the verge of being able to damage you, you'll look like you've been hit but your HP won't go down.

I hope that made sense.

Master_of_Dragons
Jul 4, 2004, 08:24 PM
I think it acually has to do with umm... the enemies ACC stat, and your EVP stat. DEF has nothing to do with it. DEF stat is used when you are hit after the game's computing calculates the block or if it is not blocked. So basically the game reads the Enemy ACC and subtracts your EVA; if the number goes - you block. If it stays positive, you call on DEF stat to subtract from the Enemies ATK. that number is then multiplied in a ratio that we haven't quite determined yet.

KangXi
Jul 7, 2004, 06:01 PM
DEF isn't directly associated with if you get knocked down or not, it's actually your HP that determines if you get knocked down.

You may say, you can use something that adds DEF thus making enemy hits take less dmg thus making you not fall, but you could just use something that gives you more HP, making you not fall.

Sitka
Jul 7, 2004, 06:18 PM
Interesting observation.

The other day I'm doing an ultimate Temple run with my 191 Racast.

We're fighting Barba Ray and I'm a little too close to the edge of the raft when he jumps onto the raft.

Usually, that zaps quite a few hit points, but doesn't knock me down anymore (2090 HP).

This time was different, however. When Barba started to land, my Racast arm flew up with its Standstill Shield and I blocked his landing. No loss of Hp. First and only time I've witnessed that - and I've killed lots of Barba Rays. Maybe it does have something to do with high evade?

Dunno - just an observation.

gream-green
Jul 7, 2004, 06:21 PM
On 2004-07-03 07:42, Ketchup345 wrote:

I block the Assassin's charge all the time. Its pretty darn funny actually.

lain2k3
Jul 7, 2004, 06:44 PM
On 2004-07-07 16:18, Sitka wrote:

This time was different, however. When Barba started to land, my Racast arm flew up with its Standstill Shield and I blocked his landing. No loss of Hp. First and only time I've witnessed that - and I've killed lots of Barba Rays. Maybe it does have something to do with high evade?

What is your evp total? I havent blocked that with my ramarl or hunewearl. Was he jellened?

Sitka
Jul 7, 2004, 06:56 PM
I'm not at home, so I'd have to check on his Evp, but at 191 with the standstill shield, it's pretty high up there.

Yes, the Barba was jellened by probably lvl 29 jellen.

I was surprised, because I've blocked a lot of other things (never those damn Dark Bringers though - I wish I could), but that was the first time I've ever seen anyone block Barba Rays' jump onto the ship.

Too bad I can't capture it and share it with you'all.

lain2k3
Jul 7, 2004, 07:07 PM
Yeah, that seems like a fluke to me. Let us know if it happens next time you fight barba ray.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Sitka
Jul 7, 2004, 07:11 PM
When I get off work I'll try and round up Gream and a couple of others and see if we can go try it.

It would be nice for a few others on this board to see it and add their comments.

gream-green
Jul 7, 2004, 07:12 PM
On 2004-07-07 16:56, Sitka wrote:
I'm not at home, so I'd have to check on his Evp, but at 191 with the standstill shield, it's pretty high up there.

Yes, the Barba was jellened by probably lvl 29 jellen.

I was surprised, because I've blocked a lot of other things (never those damn Dark Bringers though - I wish I could), but that was the first time I've ever seen anyone block Barba Rays' jump onto the ship.

Too bad I can't capture it and share it with you'all.

next time we do it remind me to capture it...

Vielka
Jul 7, 2004, 09:47 PM
On 2004-07-04 05:12, Antimony wrote:
Also, I'm almost certain that your DFP, and the enemy's ATP, contributes to the chance of a successful block - It's the only explanation I can think of as to why my characters block more if I cast deband, and block even more still if I cast jellen on the enemy.

took the words right out of my mouth..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vielka on 2004-07-07 19:47 ]</font>

Master_of_Dragons
Jul 7, 2004, 09:58 PM
i block the Sil Dragons steps with My HUmar and HUnewearl ;p but im not online anymore

Sitka
Jul 7, 2004, 11:35 PM
Alright Lain

I just blocked the Barba Ray again. Hiro and a couple of other guys were there.

Jellen 30 was on the Barba, so that probably has something to do with it, but no question, I was blocking his jump onto the ship with my left arm

God, I feel like an uber Racast - I feel good (as James Brown was want to say - I also am Black and I'm Proud!). Tonight I gain level 192.

Master_of_Dragons
Jul 8, 2004, 12:01 AM
congrads for your level...

darthsaber9x9
Jul 8, 2004, 05:30 AM
On 2004-07-07 21:35, Sitka wrote:
Alright Lain

I just blocked the Barba Ray again. Hiro and a couple of other guys were there.

Jellen 30 was on the Barba, so that probably has something to do with it, but no question, I was blocking his jump onto the ship with my left arm

God, I feel like an uber Racast - I feel good (as James Brown was want to say - I also am Black and I'm Proud!). Tonight I gain level 192.

james brown was amazing when he supported rhcp!

Sitka
Jul 8, 2004, 09:34 AM
For good measure, Hiro, Gream and I went back and fought Barba Ray again last night.

Blocked him again, I did.

So did Gream - although I blocked him with a stylish flip of my left arm while Gream blocked him with his big fonewm ass.

But we both blocked him.

lain2k3
Jul 8, 2004, 09:39 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

any word on total EVP or DFP?

I will try that eventually >_> with my hunewearl.

Sitka
Jul 8, 2004, 10:02 AM
Okay Lain

Just checked Sitka Blue D @ 191.

Current Stats:

DFP: 899 (487)

EVP: 928 (603)

I'm not sure about Gream, but he's a very high level Fonewm (180ish) and his EVP is probably higher. He's blocked Gal Gryphon's tromp and I'm not sure I've done that yet. I'll try tonight.

lain2k3
Jul 8, 2004, 10:19 AM
It definetely has nothing to do with EVP then, My ramarl and hunewearl both have about 100 more evp than your Racast, and they've never blocked it. What is you defense with deband? thats really the only explanation, and my hunewearl has about 980 something dfp with no deband.

Definetely something up here...

Sitka
Jul 8, 2004, 10:52 AM
I'll see if Gream can provide me with some Deband tonight and we'll check the stats.

gream-green
Jul 8, 2004, 01:03 PM
On 2004-07-08 08:19, lain2k3 wrote:
It definetely has nothing to do with EVP then, My ramarl and hunewearl both have about 100 more evp than your Racast, and they've never blocked it. What is you defense with deband? thats really the only explanation, and my hunewearl has about 980 something dfp with no deband.

Definetely something up here...

My Def was maxed with my mag and some G-abilities, 465 (between 463 and 467 anyhow) I think + 29Deband + 30Jellen, admiteddly it was much cooler when Sitka Blocked it. I will eventualy remember to get some shots of it.