PDA

View Full Version : Could Nintendo be going the way of Sega?

YoungForest
Jun 7, 2002, 10:32 AM
Don't be lazy. Click the link and read:

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2869633,00.html

Hmmmm. Sega was pretty much talking just like this way back when before they axed the Dreamcast and went 3rd party. Something tells me the Gamecube could (remember, I said could) be Nintendo's last home console.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: YoungForest on 2002-06-07 08:33 ]</font>

ABDUR101
Jun 7, 2002, 10:37 AM
Old news for me :

But I agree, you know its sounding bad when a company's effort is put mainly on the games. It means that they want their creative ability to go somewhere else, or they're alittle low on funds and need to slow down to stay afloat :

Can only hope for the bes...wait a second..alot of you bastards want the X-box to fail too!

DIE! >Nintendo

XD

Sojo
Jun 7, 2002, 10:57 AM
I don't think Nintendo will give up yet!

They've been there since the beggining, and will continue to do so, but they really need to get their fingers out their cutesy arses and attract some older gamers!

I'm definately not ever going for any SOny consol. I've played on the PS1/2 and was not impressed by any of the games.

Last_Saiyan
Jun 7, 2002, 10:59 AM
With an ego and history like Nintendo to want to be the best out there, when they want to go software...it's no question that the cause is funds. It's sad but that's how the world runs sometimes.

SaitoH
Jun 7, 2002, 11:08 AM
First off I want to say LOL @ Sojo.

Ok ...

Read the full article at CNN.com. All Nintendo said is now that the GameCube is out they are concentrating on making games. You can read whatever you want into that statement, but it's hardly a delclaration of their desire to leave the console business. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but I think we'll all have to wait until Nintendo says that, rather then jumping to conclusions.

^w^/

Falkon
Jun 7, 2002, 11:27 AM
Heh, you have to admit though, the gamecube has been super lack-luster thusfar...

SaitoH
Jun 7, 2002, 11:35 AM
On 2002-06-07 09:27, Falkon wrote:
Heh, you have to admit though, the gamecube has been super lack-luster thusfar...

Yep, absolutely. Although I think Nintendo makes great software, I like VERY few of their games. I bought a GC for Resident evil, Mario Sunshine and PSO. That's pretty much it ...

Balthor
Jun 7, 2002, 11:44 AM
the thought of nintendo going cross platform makes my head hurt,seeing metroid or donkey kong on xbox or ps2....*shudder* but really,if they do go cross platform....then theres gonna be a lotta sadness across gamer land http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif since nintendo is against comglomerates like sony and MS in the biz....then them getting buyed or something is likely.... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

ABDUR101
Jun 7, 2002, 11:49 AM
I, on the other hand, would love seeing a Metroid or other Nintendo game on the X-box. If they put alot of time on its graphics ability and take advantage of the hard drive and broadband, there'd be some very high quality titles from years past.

I myself would kill for a Contra on the X-box.

Gryph
Jun 7, 2002, 12:23 PM
Um, Contra isn't made by Nintendo.
There was one on the Genesis, and 2 on the Playstation.

ABDUR101
Jun 7, 2002, 12:35 PM
On 2002-06-07 10:23, Gryph wrote:
Um, Contra isn't made by Nintendo.
There was one on the Genesis, and 2 on the Playstation.

..I did'nt say Contra was made by Nintendo, I said I "would kill for a Contra" on the X-box. Because there have been others on Sega and PS, I'd like one on the X-box. o_O

YoungForest
Jun 7, 2002, 12:36 PM
On 2002-06-07 09:08, SaitoH wrote:
Read the full article at CNN.com.

Link please?

All Nintendo said is now that the GameCube is out they are concentrating on making games.

It's common sense to know that hardware companies are always trying to be a step ahead of the competition. It's already rumored the PS3 will arrive in 2005, and I'm pretty sure Microsoft is already working on a succesor to Xbox. True, software is more important, but if Nintendo wants to stay in the hardware business, why aren't they doing the same?

You can read whatever you want into that statement, but it's hardly a declaration of their desire to leave the console business.

True, it's not an official declaration, but it's not hard to see the possibility of Nintendo's future with a statement like this.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but I think we'll all have to wait until Nintendo says that, rather then jumping to conclusions.

I agree. Like I said, in light of this statement, I said it could happen, and didn't say it will.

Tsukishima-Ruriko
Jun 7, 2002, 12:43 PM
Nintendo said basically the same thing when the N64 first came out.

Concentrating more on making games instead of designing ANOTHER new console is a wise decision, and won't put them in the same boat Sega kept going in.

ragnar
Jun 7, 2002, 01:15 PM
hmmmmm interesting but it could be poss cuz games r where the main money is and so i cud see nintendo pulling out of the hardware market cuz they just havent got the finanical clout of sony and microsoft

Greg
Jun 7, 2002, 01:21 PM
I read the full article and honestly Nintendo is sounding a tad bit nervous. There really is no need to make a statement like 'we are going to focus on making great software', as opposed to what, shitty software?

ragnar
Jun 7, 2002, 01:30 PM
On 2002-06-07 11:21, Greg wrote:
I read the full article and honestly Nintendo is sounding a tad bit nervous. There really is no need to make a statement like 'we are going to focus on making great software', as opposed to what, shitty software?

lol greg ur funny

Cube
Jun 7, 2002, 01:31 PM
Why are you all acting like this is the first time nintendo has stated something like this? they have ALLWAYS been focused on the Software side of the industry.

They are banking a SHITLOAD of money. They've had record profits this year! They have almost 8 Billion in the bank! They are NOT in a bad financial situation. They are doing better than ever.

They plan on selling 50 Million Gamecubes by march 2005. And Nintendo RARLEY overestimates. I expect them to sell between 45-53 million between that time.

Nintendo is doing AWESOME. Metroid, Zelda, Star Fox, Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil 0, Animal Crosssings, Final Fantasy, a TON of great games are coming out this physical year.

Nintendo is doing spectacular this time around with the gamecube. MUCH better than N64.

Compare Gamecubes first year compared to PS2. Gamecube is doing just fine. Even on the software side.... things may be a little slow right now but just wait.

*wise words have just been spoken*

QueenBee
Jun 7, 2002, 01:35 PM
Hey Cube, u forgot Mario and PSO...lol

SaitoH
Jun 7, 2002, 01:58 PM
Click here for the full story link (http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/review/2002/6/06/nintendo-games.htm)

@Youngforest: This is just my opinion, but Nintendo is downplaying new hardware to make consumers comfortable with buying the GameCube. Alot of people worry about purchasing systems only to have to replace them a year later. Seems to me Nintendo is simply trying to reassure the public that the GameCube isn't going to be replaced anytime soon. I would say it's crazy to think that Nintendo isn't doing research on new hardware continuous basis. It's the nature of the "game".

<Future prediction due to mad psychic abilities>

Personally I see Nintendo doing fairly well with the GC, they have a great software lineup for fall-winter season with lots of proven system sellers (Zelda, mario, metroid)

Xbox is only going to hang on due to Microsofts money. They have alot of great software coming out (thanks Sega), but no big name system sellers, which is really hurting them.

Sony will continue to destroy everyone with their poorly designed system due to a HUGE software lineup and exclusives like GTA3 vice city.

</Future prediction due to mad psychic abilities>

^w^/

Greg
Jun 7, 2002, 02:10 PM
Good luck Nintendo! only 45+ million to go! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Greg
Jun 7, 2002, 02:21 PM
Xbox is only going to hang on due to Microsofts money. They have alot of great software coming out (thanks Sega), but no big name system sellers, which is really hurting them.

I dunno, I think that Xbox has the most exciting and innovative software comming out in the next 12 months.

Halo 2
Panzer Dragoon
PSO
Blinx
Steel Batallion
Dead to Rights
Starwars KOTOR and Galaxies
Toe Jam and Earl
Ninja Gaiden
Unreal Champ.
Not to mention Xbox live.

(of course Fanboys will claim ALL of thoes titles suck http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif )

ABDUR101
Jun 7, 2002, 02:33 PM
I agree, I just saw the trailer for Steel Battalion, holy fucking shit, that game...amazing. I thought the SCREENSHOTS looked amazing, but to see how smooth it ran, along with the graphics, pfft, I'd of pissed myself had I not gone to the bathroom right before.

If you have easy hardware to use with great potential, and if you take your time with it, that potential will be fully used. I can't wait for alot of the X-box titles :

Each system has it's own potential, but the systems themselves are NOT equal. And even with the biggest powerhouse, if a developer fubar's the game it's making, it kind of defeats the purpose of having that potential.

Just have to wait and see, right?

SaitoH
Jun 7, 2002, 03:07 PM
On 2002-06-07 12:21, Greg wrote:

I dunno, I think that Xbox has the most exciting and innovative software comming out in the next 12 months.

Halo 2
Panzer Dragoon
PSO
Blinx
Steel Batallion
Dead to Rights
Toe Jam and Earl
Ninja Gaiden
Unreal Champ.

(of course Fanboys will claim ALL of thoes titles suck http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif )

I didn't say that Xbox had no good games coming out, I said they had no system sellers, as in titles the general public knows, big difference. Halo 2 would be a definite system seller, but I was under the impression that was a ways off yet.

I bought my Xbox for JSRF and am looking foreward to Sega GT2, Panzer, Toe jam and earl 3, Steel battalion *drools*, Crazy taxi 3 and Knights of the old republic.

Greg
Jun 7, 2002, 03:18 PM
On 2002-06-07 13:07, SaitoH wrote:

On 2002-06-07 12:21, Greg wrote:

Halo 2
Panzer Dragoon
PSO
Blinx
Steel Batallion
Dead to Rights
Toe Jam and Earl
Ninja Gaiden
Unreal Champ.

I didn't say that Xbox had no good games coming out, I said they had no system sellers, as in titles the general public knows, big difference. Halo 2 would be a definite system seller, but I was under the impression that was a ways off yet.

I bought my Xbox for JSRF and am looking foreward to Sega GT2, Panzer, Toe jam and earl 3, Steel battalion *drools*, Crazy taxi 3 and Knights of the old republic.

I think that Blinx will be a system seller personally. I hate mascott titles myself but the whole TIVO angle in blinx looks amazing

Cube
Jun 7, 2002, 03:48 PM
Being such a devoted Nintendo fan, im still fully aware of the other two consoles.

Even though I despise Microsoft, (and sometimes the xbox), The Xbox has some quality titles coming out.(thanks to Sega) It's doing great in the US actually... EU and JP are a different story however. Panzer Dragoon: Orta looks AWESOME, I love JSRF, and of course Gunvalkrie. Kotor looks l33t as well... but then again, these are all 3rd party titles which are not guaranteed to be Exclusive FOREVOR. Yes, I know, PS did great with the 3rd party titles it had, but then again it had a lot of great 1st party titles... MS doesnt. It has Halo which is great, but cmon... you need more than that! Xbox has a solid lineup for 2003. But I don;t think its strong enough to compete with Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Resident Evil, FFXI, Xenosaga, DMC2, etc... Xbox needs MORE 1st party titles which do NOT suck. I'm not bashing the Xbox at all... and even though I do doubt MS's first estimate of the Xbox selling 100+ million consoles (tehehe) I think it will sell quite well in the US.

The question is however, how long can MS last with sega being one of the only suppliers of AAA games? They can't keep releasing Halo's up the wazoo...

We'll see what happens... but right now I'm happy with my Gamecube for first party titles, and my PS2 for 3rd... I'm still waiting for a solid reason to buy an XBox, even though the Sega games are VERY VERY VERY tempting.

neko-chan
Jun 7, 2002, 04:06 PM
According to last year's reports Nintendo is the only company that is making money in the industry.

SCE is loosing money every year, MS just started and Sega... well... we know what happened to Sega. -_-;;;

Thanks to the Pokémon franchise, thanks to the 40 millions N64 sold (selling 50 millions of GCN appears not to be a dream) and the zillions of GameBoy, thanks to a solid fan base, thanks to their unique flavor.

Personally, I agree to what SaitoH said:

This is just my opinion, but Nintendo is downplaying new hardware to make consumers comfortable with buying the GameCube.

BaronLaw
Jun 7, 2002, 04:13 PM
Don't forget to add Star Wars: Galaxies, an online RPG for the XBox. Not an exclusive, as it's also headed to the PS2, but it should make XBox owners happy. It may be the MMORPG to out-MMORPG Phantasy Star Online. Only time will tell.

BaronLaw

LieutenantDwAnGStick
Jun 7, 2002, 07:40 PM
the idea of sonic being on nintendo shocked me.. but imagin nintendo giving star fox to microsoft, and mario to ps2 for example.. i would be in a coma

im behind nintendo 100% thru thick or thin no matter what

..what if nintendo agreed to sony for making a cd based add on.. we all know ps wouldnt be around... kinda make u think what it would be like today

Nerd
Jun 7, 2002, 08:21 PM
Nintendo will be around for awhile yet, at least i believe so. They made it more than clear that they have plenty of 'emergency money' but they arent gonna try to develope new hardware for a long while, which is fine with me...

I practically have more systems than games because of the quick progression we have had between consoles the last few years..

They just need to be not-such-slowasses with their big guns.

*stares at watch and waits for mario*

COME ON YOU SLOW FUCK!

TeamPhalanx
Jun 7, 2002, 09:15 PM
Nintendo has always stuck to its plans, so I doubt they'll make any changes soon.

As for their games, no developer/publisher comes close Nintendo. Going by both sales and reviews, Nintendo is always tops.

Neither SONY nor MS has a name that is widely known. If you ask people who don't play games much what Halo or GTA3 is, and they might not know, but most people, gamers or not, recognize names like Mario and Pokemon.

To be brief, there aren't many reasons for Nintendo to become a 3rd party developer/publisher.

BWS-1
Jun 8, 2002, 12:20 AM
Geeeee you act as if you guys didn't already noticed ... Sega's super secret evil plan of taking over all the hardware compagnies

hmmm, so you didn't.

*asks sega

Should I tell them?

*Sega point's a gun at B's head

... I'll think about it http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

LostHero
Jun 8, 2002, 02:14 AM
Gah the day Nintendo joins Sega is the day me and Segata Sanshiro join forces to lay waste to all of Japan and the northern teritories of somalia and canada.

If you dont know who Segata Sanshiro....

Click>>>Ph33R Segata! (http://www.sega-saturn.com/news/021502.htm)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LostHero on 2002-06-08 00:28 ]</font>

_xX_Frosty_Xx_
Jun 8, 2002, 02:19 AM
Nintendo's too good of a company to go the way of Sega. I have full faith in them, I don't think they're going down anytime soon ^_^

BWS-1
Jun 8, 2002, 04:24 AM
SEEEGATA SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNSSSSHHHHIIIRO!!!

*in a school-girl voice

Segata sanshiro!!!

*back to segata

Tooooooorriaaa!!!!

haaa, good ol SoJ adds, I miss those seturn days. ... ._.