PDA

View Full Version : Computer Problems (Virus Probably?)

chantez131313
Jul 6, 2004, 10:49 PM
My friend's girlfriend's computer is having a problem. I can't tell the exact specifics since I haven't seen it personally, but I'll explain my best. See, according to them something went haywire with her comp, so she wiped everything but the operating system (Win XP). Then, she tried to start it back up, but it would say something like "Thank you for registering" with a press any key, and when she pressed a key, it would freeze. Again and again it happened. Then one time, it started up with the message "Greetings from LSASS"
(L SASS?) I've looked around on the internet for a virus of that name, but to no avail. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

Jason
Jul 6, 2004, 10:58 PM
I am no computer whiz. But help will come right to you (hopefully). Instead of worrying, you can just leave your friend's girlfriend's problems and let her boyfriend (your friend) help her.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jason on 2004-07-06 20:58 ]</font>

DruidMettool
Jul 6, 2004, 10:59 PM
Uhhh... wow, dude... I think the way to do this is get a new OS or a new HD alltogether.

chantez131313
Jul 6, 2004, 11:03 PM
On 2004-07-06 20:58, Jason wrote:
I am no computer whiz. But help will come right to you (hopefully). Instead of worrying, you can just leave your friend's girlfriend's problems and let her boyfriend (your friend) help her.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jason on 2004-07-06 20:58 ]</font>

I would, but he called me asking for help, and I can't say no to a friend. And yes, a new comp may be the solution, though lets hope not.

astuarlen
Jul 6, 2004, 11:17 PM
Can she get into safe mode? I don't know when this sinister message pops up, so I can't really say if this is possible, but that's what I would try. I'm not very good with computers, but it's worth a shot. I hope she gets it fixed, but at least if it's a lost cause, she won't be losing any valuable files.

chantez131313
Jul 6, 2004, 11:38 PM
Yeah she can get it into safe mode, and new info says the messages are those little boxes that pop up, the ones with the big red circle with an X in it. Critical error messages i think theyre called? Well, thanks to all help so far.

Nazo
Jul 7, 2004, 12:01 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif THIS is why you use a Mac, not a windows...

But Chantez, I recommend that you reinstall her OS. While you may be safe in your cubicle of "Safe Mode" (quote quote! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif) Since you wiped everything anyway, there's nothing to lose. If there still are valuable files, burn em on a CD, store em on a FlashStick, on a USB drive, whatever. My dad's window kinda freaks out like that once in a while, and re-installing the OS and reformatting the hard drive allows it to get back into shape for a while.

Getintothegame
Jul 7, 2004, 12:14 AM
LSASS.exe is a process found in the Windows Task Manager. It is run everytime you start up the computer.

Perhaps something got messed up in here BOOT.ini file? Or the Startup?

By the way, if she wiped everything but the OS, why not just reformat and star over new?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Getintothegame on 2004-07-06 22:15 ]</font>

Firocket1690
Jul 7, 2004, 01:44 AM
Let's see ...

Considering it's XP, and 9/10 chance you didn't personally build it, i assume you bought it (the whole comp by itself) It should come with a few of those recovery discs. Pop those in and follow instructions.

BrokenHope
Jul 7, 2004, 03:11 AM
Sounds like her computer has the sasser worm, if she had applied all the windows updates and/or ran a firewall she wouldn't have this problem, first of all she needs to run windows update and get the patch, then she needs to run an antivirus program.

chantez131313
Jul 7, 2004, 08:00 AM
That's it! My friend said she thought it was something like the sasser or something, and you just comfirmed it. I'll tell her about the stuff, and if something goes wrong, ill tell her to reinstall Win XP. Thanks all.

Eanae
Jul 7, 2004, 11:39 AM
tell her next time not to delete anything from her computer http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_no.gif Just straight out reinstall the OS. And if she never ran windows update she's a moron, especially with all the security breaches that are in internet explorer. So technically, it's her own fault all this happened. And you should never delete anything from your computer if you don't know what it is. She should have asked before deleting...