PDA

View Full Version : Why do you play games?

chantez131313
Jul 7, 2004, 10:50 AM
My dad always complains about me playing games too much. And all this complaining makes me mad. So one day I yelled back at him, and he said "Why do you even play those things anyhow?" And I yelled something else and he left the room. But I thought about that question. Why do I play games? After thinking for a while, I came up with this conclusion. I play games to escape reality. What I mean is, can you really be a hero who fights monsters and gets famous in real life? No. Can you really be a soldier who takes on an entire army himself? No. I play games because it lets me do things I'll never be able do, plus I can be someone else.

So, to sum this up, Why do you play games?

lain2k3
Jul 7, 2004, 11:08 AM
Could I really be good at anything In real life? No. Therefore, I play videogames to make up for my total lack of talent in any area.

Eanae
Jul 7, 2004, 11:26 AM
On 2004-07-07 09:08, lain2k3 wrote:
Could I really be good at anything In real life? No. Therefore, I play videogames to make up for my total lack of talent in any area.

Ain't that so true http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I play games because I have nothing better to do. I mean, what else beats saving the universe, winning the Indy 500, and winning WWII all before dinner? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Outrider
Jul 7, 2004, 11:41 AM
It kills time, it's a fun activity, and it's pretty much just a hobby that's turned into a lifestyle. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

What can I say? I've been playing games for most of my life, and it's not gonna stop anytime soon.

ABDUR101
Jul 7, 2004, 11:55 AM
I started gaming in my early childhood with an Atari. I've kept up with it since then.

For a lot of the time, it was an escape from reality. Family fighting? Video games were there. No friends around? Video games were there.

They filled a gap in my childhood of not having any friends in the area to go do stuff with.

Recently though, gaming isn't an escape from reality, as much as it's just something to kill time and keep me entertained. I don't often get into the "zone" when I'm playing games anymore like I used to.

My brother's girlfriend recently asked me while I was playing Horizons, "When does it end?". Well, never, thats a MMORPG. She then asked what do I get out of playing it. Simple, entertainment. Thats all it ever was for, it's just that I'd rather be actively taking part in the ass-kicking than just watching it most often.

doubletake123
Jul 7, 2004, 12:04 PM
Well, i play video games becuz either im bored and it's something fun to do and to be better than anyone i know.

AUTO_
Jul 7, 2004, 12:24 PM
Kills time, but more importantly, it's time that is enjoyed.

I've been playing games since I was around 3 (Track for the NES..remember the huge pad?)..and I haven't really stopped since.

My parents have had a rough time with my gaming, because they figured it was something that would "die off" as I got older (I'm 17)...but it still hasn't, so we still have squabbles over it.

My parents don't understand videogames (like many parents), so it usually results in a backlash for me when they see me spending so much time with them.

Like Abdur said, I'm no longer in the "zone" when I play videogames...but that's mainly a result of so many people downsizing my (probably my main) interest.

...it is kind of funny though. My dad started playing Hot Shots Golf 3 last week while on vacation, and just yesterday, he took over my bro's PS2 to play it.

I went to bed at 2AM and he was still in his office playing the game.

You would think he would be hit with some understanding now. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

SubstanceD
Jul 7, 2004, 02:06 PM
Why do I play games?

To be honest, in recent months I have been asking myself this same question alot. I just don't get the same enjoyment out of games that I used to.

I began out playing mostly Platformers back on the NES. When I got my SNES most of my games were Fighting Games ( that was untill I re-discovered RPGs, now half of my SNES games are RPGs ). I got a Ps1 because I was ( and still am ) obsessed with RPGs and the Ps1 was more or less the option for RPG fans. Nowadays I own a Ps2 and a Gamecube, RPG's are very scarse especially here in Ireland. Most games these days are either FPS which I hate, racing games which get old quick or sports games which I dipise. I hate this new phase of Crime games such as Driver, GTA, Getaway, etc. There just doesn't seem to to be market for gamers like me anymore. I supose that why I eventually came back to PSO ( as much as I hate it's short comings ), because it is one of the few games out there that has alot of elements that I like. I supose I keep playing games because I have nothing better to do.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SubstanceD on 2004-07-07 12:09 ]</font>

BOC
Jul 7, 2004, 02:51 PM
On 2004-07-07 08:50, chantez131313 wrote:
My dad always complains about me playing games too much. And all this complaining makes me mad. So one day I yelled back at him, and he said "Why do you even play those things anyhow?"

About three years ago my mom was giving me shit about spending so much time playing games and spending so much on them (and in her defence i was spending nite after nite locked up in my room playing games and spent more money on games that year than any other). All it took was one reply:

"would you prefer i spent my time and money drinking, smoking, on drugs or doing other illegal shit that most teens seem to do to pass the time?"

the subject was never raised again. if ur dad complains again, just say that. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

but why do i play games? because their fun!! their entertaining!!! If im not out with my friends, or watching a movie (i dont bother with the shite on TV) it more than likely im playing a game or hanging around on this game related website.

in a game YOU can determine the outcome. you cant do this with a tv show, movie or book (unless you count those dire multi-choice thingies). you can interact with a game, explore. not simply watch read or listen!

you can watch a show with ur buddies, listen 2 a song with u mates and so on, but they do not compare with the abilty to play with them. be it crowded around the tv playing a game or worms or on the other side of the world blowing each other to shit in unreal.

games, to me, just seem a more worthwhile use of my leisure time than just staring endlessly at the TV. which lets face it most of the 'normal people' do when they have nothing better to do.

games can help you make more friends! i have 2 friends from school that i know for a fact if it hadn't been for our shared interest in pso i probably would have lost contact with when i left last year.

Playing a game gives a real sense of achievement. That YOU finished it! You saved the day. not arnold or sly, but you!

*ahem* that all said, you gotta be sure that you don't become totally obsessed. Because those 23hour counter-strike/ everquest binges WILL kill you http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

game on amigos!

PEACE!!!

XrazorbladeX
Jul 7, 2004, 02:55 PM
I got into games at the age of around 5. I got a Master System II for Christmas, with Sonic and Alex the Kidd in Miracle World. Since then I have been enjoying Video Games up til this present day (I am now 19)

I play video games because I was a social outcast as a kid, and they were the only way I found acceptence. They were the only place I could be someone strong and stand up for others, as strange as it sounds.

So thats why I play video games. I may be older, and actually am social accepted, but they still take up a large part of my life. I have actually denied offers to go to the pub just so I could try and complete a game or meet people on PSO... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Rem

BOC
Jul 7, 2004, 03:13 PM
On 2004-07-07 12:55, XrazorbladeX wrote:
I have actually denied offers to go to the pub just so I could try and complete a game or meet people on PSO... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Rem

we've all been there! I once, to my shame missed a giant piss for a friends birthday up because i was determined to finish off knights of the old republic.

She was pissed off, but come on! malak had to die!

PEACE!!!

ssephiroth_da_hunter
Jul 7, 2004, 03:50 PM
My parents say I play too much and thats about it. They never bother me about it much, but occassionally they do. I play games cause you can experience things you would never be able to do, like save the world from evil. Video Games are so entertaining...

Dhylec
Jul 7, 2004, 04:01 PM
lessee, i can think of a few reasons..
-addiction to games:
some are too darn good to ignore or not play, a hobby
-good way to kill time:
a good game can take your time away like no tomorrow
-live in fantasy:
escape into another world w/o those drugs
-not leaving the house:
with online games today, you don't have to go out to play

XrazorbladeX
Jul 7, 2004, 04:12 PM
On 2004-07-07 13:13, BOC wrote:

On 2004-07-07 12:55, XrazorbladeX wrote:
I have actually denied offers to go to the pub just so I could try and complete a game or meet people on PSO... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Rem

we've all been there! I once, to my shame missed a giant piss for a friends birthday up because i was determined to finish off knights of the old republic.

She was pissed off, but come on! malak had to die!

PEACE!!!

Ha ha I wouldnt miss out on a massive piss off for KOTR heh. Well to be honest I never played it xD The only SW game I enjoyed was the Jedi Knight series... and that was only because I owned at my local LAN building and everyone hated me for it =/

Rem

Mr_Crow
Jul 7, 2004, 04:52 PM
Games are so much better than real life

thats the reason

real life is so dark n depressin n over all BORING

Deathscythealpha
Jul 7, 2004, 05:51 PM
Escapism: Games let me get away from things. Their worlds can absorb me and let me experiance things i normally couldnt. Having a shitty time? Put on a game and loose yourself.

Storyline: some games now just have great story's and they just make you need to keep playing them just to get another tid bit of a story. Everyone at one point or another has stayed up to the early hours just beause of a plot line in a game.

Fun: well they are. You wouldnt play a game if it was dull and crappy. Games can make your grin like a fool when your having a good time. The best part in some games is when somehtign happens and you just point at the screen smiling and not being able to belive that you were able to do something like that.

Mwah, thats some of my reasons anyway.

Bradicus
Jul 7, 2004, 06:43 PM
Because it's there

lain2k3
Jul 7, 2004, 07:03 PM
On 2004-07-07 14:52, Mr_Crow wrote:
Games are so much better than real life

thats the reason

real life is so dark n depressin n over all BORING

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

And abdur put his old sig up http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif !!!

Guile
Jul 7, 2004, 08:59 PM
Oh I dunno, becuase they are fun and it gives me something to do when I'm bored.

dude3282
Jul 7, 2004, 09:16 PM
Because I'm hopelessly addicted to some of them.

Because playing is something I can do to relax.

Because I'm competitive and I can beat people in games.

Because it gives me a sense of accomplishment when I finally get my hands on that red box - and it's not a pd!

Akulamenuri
Jul 7, 2004, 09:44 PM
My brother said I picked up the Atari controller and start playing Pole Position at the age of 2 (just turned 17 july 6) so I guess its in my genes. Its entertainment in ways but its so much more than that. One day my mom saw me feeding my mags on PSO and she couldnt believe how fast I was going threw the menus without really paying attention to the screen, in fact I was multi-tasking because I was typing on this message board at the same time.

Kent
Jul 8, 2004, 03:17 AM
"All work and no play makes Jack a dull and mentally unbalanced boy."

I play them for enjoyment, and thus, the sake of my own sanity.

Gnarled_rose
Jul 8, 2004, 08:54 AM
You know...easily eleven years of being raised on video games, (Street Fighter 2 was way better than "Everybody poops" in my opinion) I've noticed one thing: I'm still not too good at em. I mean, I still have trouble with the first level of Frogger.....and Pong. Pac-man's been a challenge for me ever since I saw that delapidated old arcade machine in the mall....
So why do I play? Because I believe that with parents not really teaching a child anything, video games will (and have, in my case) teach a child:
Respect for those older than you.(They might just blow up the world someday, and that's when you want to be on their good side.)

A knowledge that everything will work out in the end. (Even you're not the hero that saves the world, at least someone is, right? Maybe you can be his woman-chasing sidekick or something.)

To anticipate the worst, but hope for the best. (I've got to go save the world, jump over hot lava, kill thousands of giant baddies, and earn enough money to buy kick-@$$ weaponry/armor......hey, maybe I can get a date with my life-long friend when this is all over!)

To never let a sad girl go off on her own, even if she tells you she hates you forever. (You just know she's some kind of ancient being that lost it's memory...or some angel-type figure that'll save the world...or just some girl you made cry. That last one's the worst one of all.)

Don't worry about corrupt or flawed governments; There's always someone waiting to sneak up and kill everyone.

Best of all: How to impress girls; By NEVER treating them like just friends. And a hug or two never killed anyone. (Well, that one ogre dude on level 23 really didn't enjoy it, but still....)

Nazo
Jul 8, 2004, 08:56 AM
On 2004-07-07 16:43, Bradicus wrote:

Because it's there

Perhaps the best summarization for us all =D. I mean, what else do we need besides a good game on a rainy day, or- heck- a sunny day? I find it comforting that one can escape from reality into a "zone" once in a while- it helps you to calm down and take a breather from the world.

Sit down and play PSO- you've got friends there for you to kick ass with.

Sit down and play Enter the Matrix- slow-mo kung fu with plenty of bullets to go around and still left over.

Sit down and play Minesweeper for God's sake- shows how lucky you might be!

FIDELCASTRO
Jul 8, 2004, 09:45 AM
because i can

i have nothing else to do, save go here.

i can kill things without getting in trouble

video games rock

BOC
Jul 8, 2004, 03:46 PM
On 2004-07-07 14:12, XrazorbladeX wrote:

Ha ha I wouldnt miss out on a massive piss off for KOTR heh. Well to be honest I never played it xD The only SW game I enjoyed was the Jedi Knight series... and that was only because I owned at my local LAN building and everyone hated me for it =/

Rem

im in the same boat dude, other than the jedi knight series (and rebel assualt 2! god help me i did enjoy it!!) i never really liked any of the other star wars games. But shit dude, KoTR is the best yet. i missed 3 straight days of uni for that game. stayed up 2 5am every nite playing it, up again at 10am-ish and motored thru it, taking only a few breaks. And i still barely made a dent in it.

oh and another good reason for playing games. stress relief. some people run, others do yogo, some drink themselves into a stupper. I got nuts on unreal tourney.

man im starting to sound like one of those nut jobs. *strokes ak-47*

PEACE!!!

Outrider
Jul 8, 2004, 05:46 PM
My dad used to bug us about how much video games we played, until my brother got his first job as a game journalist.

They kinda stopped after that.

DarthFomar
Jul 8, 2004, 06:12 PM
I play games because they are fun and to get away from reality from time to time.

Playing video games may not be active enough physically but it's a good thing to do when you are over-worked and need a break but still want to do something besides watching a movie. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Games are fun.......that's why I play them.......period!!! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif