PDA

View Full Version : quests and rare hunting

jspacemunkey
Jul 9, 2004, 07:01 PM
i've always wondered: when hunting a rare via a quest is it better to save and quit upon completing the quest and then start a new game or cancel the quest through the guild and reload the quest without quitting out?

it doesn't matter, right? i mean, the entire game is based on chance so i know that it will never be, strictly speaking, consistent. still, i ask because i've noticed that when i don't save and quit i tend to find fewer and fewer good items (rares, mats, etc.) with each quest reload. maybe it's just my imagination. any help is appreciated.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jspacemunkey on 2004-07-09 17:08 ]</font>

KveerRaven
Jul 9, 2004, 07:07 PM
Nope, doesn't matter. You're just having a bit of a dry spell, is all. Saving quiting or reloading a quest doesn't effect anything except the fact that you're reloading to Saving and Quiting. So, you're ok. Just keep making those runs for that elusive rare!

jspacemunkey
Jul 9, 2004, 07:12 PM
i figured as much. thanks for the help, kveer. i guess i'll have to patient with these hildelts a while longer, though 60+ FoS runs seems a tad excessive for a god/battle.

cHaOsMaZtA
Jul 9, 2004, 07:31 PM
well, which do you guys think is faster??

I think canceling the mission and then reloading it is.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cHaOsMaZtA on 2004-07-09 17:31 ]</font>

LoreSeeker
Jul 9, 2004, 07:35 PM
It makes little difference, but saving and quitting is the safer way to go, in my opinion. Depending on the quest, I believe, it may automatically end and be completed if you go to the counter. On the other hand, saving and quitting will always guarantee that the quest is still there for you.

Just wondering, what rare are you hunting?

jspacemunkey
Jul 9, 2004, 07:45 PM
chaos -- i agree with you completely. going to the counter is faster. i'm not concerned about speed though. i'm just having trouble with a drop and i began to wonder if some quirk built into the game was causing the problem. i was pretty sure it was just bad luck on my part, but i wanted to double check.

lore -- usually i save and quit every time, but i decided to keep running the quest by reloading at the guild counter. i've saved a few times up until now, but i'm going to go back to saving and quitting every time. i'm after a god/battle, and i'm somewhere past sixty runs. it's not a huge surprise that i still haven't found my god/battle, but it's getting a little tiresome.

Quo
Jul 9, 2004, 08:10 PM
Saving and quiting might be worthwhile if you found some other cool item or leveled up or something. Otherwise it would be more productive to cancel the quest and reload it because of the time difference.

jspacemunkey
Jul 9, 2004, 09:59 PM
true enough. for example, i just received a god/mind from a gulgus-gue. definite save and quit situation. but at the same time i'm a little unhappy considering that there are only four gulgus-gues in FoS and the drop rate on the god/mind is almost twice that of a god/battle. why do the hildelts hate me so much?

good to see you back, quo. i was beginning to wonder if you'd abandoned pso.

Quo
Jul 9, 2004, 10:22 PM
On 2004-07-09 19:59, jspacemunkey wrote:
true enough. for example, i just received a god/mind from a gulgus-gue. definite save and quit situation. but at the same time i'm a little unhappy considering that there are only four gulgus-gues in FoS and the drop rate on the god/mind is almost twice that of a god/battle. why do the hildelts hate me so much?

good to see you back, quo. i was beginning to wonder if you'd abandoned pso.

Na, I was in Italy. Lots of cool Roman stuff. I'll give up PSO when Society collapses.

When I get an Item I've been piping for, I pick it up, retrieve my cash, and save and quit. I tekk it after I load the file again.

Didn't you get a god/battle just after that iritista?

jspacemunkey
Jul 9, 2004, 10:29 PM
picked up two, actually. thing is, i have five characters that are in need of god/battles. i'm getting tired of trading them back and forth so i want at least one more (i was going for two, but i can't take this much longer). turned out to be much more of a headache than i expected.

heh... when i'm piping i have to tekk my items right then and there. for someone who can pipe for hours and not get bored i often display very little patience.

italy? that must have been something. i have family there i've never met, but i have always wanted to visit them.

Ethan232
Jul 9, 2004, 10:30 PM
How can you pipe and not get bored? I get bored after the first 100.....

Quo
Jul 9, 2004, 10:33 PM
On 2004-07-09 20:30, Ethan232 wrote:
How can you pipe and not get bored? I get bored after the first 100.....

The pipe trance. I've piped for hours without realizing it. It's like falling asleep and waking up when the rare enemy appears.

You can also listen to cool music.

Ethan232
Jul 9, 2004, 10:34 PM
I listen to music the entire time im playing pso, i get bored of hearing *Ching*Ching*Ching* *Arwwww* http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif just turn the volume down all the way.

jspacemunkey
Jul 9, 2004, 10:35 PM
ditto on the music.

actually, pso-world's forums are my best piping ally. i just refresh the forums every once in a while and i can read sporadically while i pipe. and of course there's the thrill of finding the rare enemy and rare item i'm looking for. that keeps me interested.

Ethan232
Jul 9, 2004, 10:37 PM
speaking of finding rares offa rare enemys, i read the guide on drop rate. THEY LIE!!!!! i killed 2 PAL Rappys and still no red handgun http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif the drop rate is shown as 1/2

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ethan232 on 2004-07-09 20:46 ]</font>

Quo
Jul 9, 2004, 10:38 PM
On 2004-07-09 20:29, jspacemunkey wrote:
picked up two, actually. thing is, i have five characters that are in need of god/battles. i'm getting tired of trading them back and forth so i want at least one more (i was going for two, but i can't take this much longer). turned out to be much more of a headache than i expected.

heh... when i'm piping i have to tekk my items right then and there. for someone who can pipe for hours and not get bored i often display very little patience.

italy? that must have been something. i have family there i've never met, but i have always wanted to visit them.

I haven't found a single god/battle. Haven't hunted one either. I'll need one later, but my HUs are fast enough for now (female double saber animation pwns).

Italy is very cool. Expensive ($5 fer a coke, man I'm thirsty), but excellent. It seems like more people speak English in Italy than in America.

jspacemunkey
Jul 9, 2004, 10:43 PM
ethan -- trust me, it's no lie. i've piped a whole slew of red handguns from pals. the drop rate is right. usually with a 1/2 drop you'll see the rare every other enemy you kill. doesn't always work out that way. remember, the drop rates aren't a culmulative thing. the rates apply for every slain enemy on an individual basis.

quo -- smart. i wish i'd never gotten it in my head to get more god/battles. now the thought simply won't leave and i am slave to FoS runs. worse yet, i just remembered that i wanted to make a FOmarl. i'm going to need at least two god/battles no matter what. why?!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jspacemunkey on 2004-07-09 20:46 ]</font>

cHaOsMaZtA
Jul 9, 2004, 10:47 PM
On 2004-07-09 20:37, Ethan232 wrote:
speaking of finding rares offa rare enemys, i read the guide on drop rate. THEY LIE!!!!! i killed 2 PAL Rappys and still no red handgun http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif the drop rate is show as 1/2

the drop rate is actually just the chance that the enemy has of dropping. It's like flipping a coin. If you flip a coin twice and you get 2 tails, you're not gonna say "HEY!!! This coin's broken!! It's supposed to be a heads!!! I mean, it's a 1/2 chance, and I flipped it twice!!" are ya??

jspacemunkey
Jul 9, 2004, 10:49 PM
HEY!!! This coin's broken!

that had me laughing so hard. you know you're tired when...

i am now officially over seventy runs. yay?

ethan -- heh. thanks for the offer, but i'm in the same boat as you. i find insane amounts of mind mats and, of late, hp mats. this is not a bad thing, but i've got more than i'll ever need. also, we're probably on different systems. i'm xbox and i know that most people here are gc.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jspacemunkey on 2004-07-09 20:53 ]</font>

Ethan232
Jul 9, 2004, 10:49 PM
Will your FO need some mind materials? I got 47 of them... I CANT EVEN USE THEM!!! The only friggen material i ever get..... BS, well good luck huttin for 2 more god/battles!

cHaOsMaZtA
Jul 9, 2004, 10:54 PM
Don't work, jspacemunkey, it'll drop (eventually). http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif I got my God/Battle on the 20th run. Just out of curiosity though, are you killing the hildelt in the small room in the upper right corner of F2??

jspacemunkey
Jul 9, 2004, 11:02 PM
yeah, i get the one in the upper right room. in fact, i kill all of 'em, all sixteen. why do you ask?

Quo
Jul 9, 2004, 11:06 PM
On 2004-07-09 20:43, jspacemunkey wrote:

i just remembered that i wanted to make a FOmarl.

OOOO, OOOO, A FOMARL, DO IT, DO IT NOW. OMG so awesome, and hot, and excellent, and a little sadistic with the grants. FOmarl is the best. Ever.

IMO

Edit: This is my sixhundred three-score and sixth post. Unfortunate.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Quo on 2004-07-09 21:08 ]</font>

cHaOsMaZtA
Jul 9, 2004, 11:06 PM
Well, when I did my 20 FoS runs, I thought it was faster (I mean more effecient) If you didn't kill that one. I dunno. Its probably not. I killed all of them except that one.

jspacemunkey
Jul 9, 2004, 11:25 PM
quo -- hahaha! sorry, not making her tonight. she's on the agenda though. right now i'm trying to finish up a few choice rare hunts, including piping at least one lavis. after that i'll be leveling up my HUnewearl and FOnewearl. then i'll be making an RAcast (probably purplenum) and a FOmarl (i'm thinking blueful, but perhaps greenil). it'll be at least a couple weeks. forgive me!

chaos -- interesting approach, and i'll guarantee you it's much faster. my RAcaseal can clear FoS hildelts in about twelve minutes. skipping that last one would shave about a minute off. i might try running a few times without killing him, but i usually get some good mats or grinders off the rappies in that room.

jspacemunkey
Jul 10, 2004, 11:04 PM
damn. i finally got one of my two god/battles, and i thought i'd share my joy with everyone. after 117 FoS runs a hildelt dropped a red box that actually wasn't a pd. i'm kinda amazed at the number of runs the whole thing took. that and the fact that i had a much easier time finding more difficult drops. for example, i got two inferno bazookas. strange, because there are only seven barbles in FoS and inferno bazooka is a 1/829 drop. how it makes sense that i'd get two of those before seeing one god/battle...well, it's all chance so i can't complain.

i want to note that most of my rare drops appeared after a save and quit (excluding pds). i've found that when i play a level by reloading without quitting i find more pds and fewer rares. whether or not a save and quit versus reloading a quest affects drops i am not going to reload quests from now on. i've noticed too many anomalies...like the same mat types showing up every single run when i reload a quest. (not a bad thing...i've accumulated a ton of hp and mind mats because of this.)

back to the grindstone. i'm hoping that i'll find another god/battle within at least fifty runs. good thing that my RAcaseal is gaining some major experience off of this or i'd have quit many runs ago.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jspacemunkey on 2004-07-10 21:05 ]</font>

MT7218
Jul 10, 2004, 11:58 PM
I wish you good luck on the God/Battle hunt... I just got real lucky when I went hunting for God/Battles... 10 of 'em drop around me within a week or two of searching... 7 in FoS runs, 3 in HS runs. I had 2 God/Battles drop in a SINGLE FoS run... this game is so bloody random, I swear... now only if Viridia Mil Lillies, both Cave and Temple variants love me that much... 5 Temple Mils, one Standstill sheild, 3 Cave Mils, no God/Power...

jspacemunkey
Jul 12, 2004, 04:17 PM
thanks MT7218. luck has not been on my side.

okay, on-topic for a sec: it was my impression that i was running into anomalies while reloading FoS without a save and quit. it seemed as though whatever i found on my first run through would show up with each reload, leading me to wonder if reloading without a save and quit affected drops in some way. for example, if i found an hp mat on the first run in a series every subsequent reload (again, without a save and quit) yielded hp mats. having gone through 217 FoS runs i've realized that what i encountered was simply a glut of mats and pds, not evidence that reloading a quest with a save and quit affected drops.

so forget what i said. i should always listen to those with more experience. it does not matter how you reload a quest because the results are the same.

that said i finally got my fourth god/battle (second in this series of runs) on run 217. i am relieved that i can finally begin pursuit of some other item. and did i mention i freakin' hate hildelts? yeah. and alicia baz too.

Quo
Jul 12, 2004, 04:23 PM
On 2004-07-12 14:17, jspacemunkey wrote:
thanks MT7218. luck has not been on my side.

okay, on-topic for a sec: it was my impression that i was running into anomalies while reloading FoS without a save and quit. it seemed as though whatever i found on my first run through would show up with each reload, leading me to wonder if reloading without a save and quit affected drops in some way. for example, if i found an hp mat on the first run in a series every subsequent reload (again, without a save and quit) yielded hp mats. having gone through 217 FoS runs i've realized that what i encountered was simply a glut of mats and pds, not evidence that reloading a quest with a save and quit affected drops.

so forget what i said. i should always listen to those with more experience. it does not matter how you reload a quest because the results are the same.

that said i finally got my fourth god/battle (second in this series of runs) on run 217. i am relieved that i can finally begin pursuit of some other item. and did i mention i freakin' hate hildelts? yeah. and alicia baz too.

Congratulations and kudos to you for your perserverance. It takes a lot of endurance to make runs of the same quest over and over, especially boring offline quests. I plan on going for god/battle units after I find a red sword, though I should only need two for now. (equipment for mines adventures with HUs).

Oh, Alicia's cool. . . just useless. . . and a huge liability.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Quo on 2004-07-12 14:24 ]</font>

Natron
Jul 12, 2004, 04:59 PM
Oh, Alicia's cool. . . just useless. . . and a huge liability. Just about all NPCs are huge liabilities, except kireek, and maybe bernie.
But, good job on the battle units. I don't think I would have had that kind of patience.

Quo
Jul 12, 2004, 05:09 PM
On 2004-07-12 14:59, Natron wrote:

Oh, Alicia's cool. . . just useless. . . and a huge liability. Just about all NPCs are huge liabilities, except kireek, and maybe bernie.
But, good job on the battle units. I don't think I would have had that kind of patience.

In Ultimate, Even Kireek and Bernie suck. Donoph is the only sturdy offline NPC I can think of.

KveerRaven
Jul 12, 2004, 05:52 PM
I second that Quo. All the others, I usually use as a Human/Android Shield. They make perfect decoys so long as you keep their HP up.