PDA

View Full Version : Mario vs Donkey Kong

Bradicus
Jul 9, 2004, 09:45 PM
What the hell is your excuse for not buying it?

This is seriously one of the best GBA games out there right now, and you do yourself a large disservice by not at least trying it. Not only that, but the mini marios featured in the game are so cool that, if one came out on the market now, i would buy it for ANY price.

The grapics: Perfect. There is no real way to find fault with the crisp, clean, pure graphical style of M vs DK. Mario himself has some of the best movement animation that i have ever seen on the GBA. The deal is sweetened even further by the plethora of cutscenes that are awesome, and often hilarious.

The contols: Wow. just wow. You will literally be shitrocked by all of the things you can make Mario do. This 2-D game's move list is more easily compared with Mario 64 than any of his other flat incarnations, and that is saying something. Our plumber friend will be able to backflips, handstands, wire spins, sideflips, and much more.

The sound: They talk! All of 'em! Besides the cheerful music, we are treated to Mario's traditional voice acting, DK's grunts, Toad's... toadness, and (the best of all) Mini Marios!

Game Time: I must tell you, this had me worried at first. When you start playing, it appears that there are only 6 worlds- each containing eight levels which have two parts. As i breezed by the first three worlds in about an hour, i seriously considered returning the game!

Soon, though, it appeared that i had yet to get down to the real deal. The maps began to get significantly harder.

After a few days of play, i finally beat the sixth boss, and was ready for my credits, but was surprised by another boss. A much more difficult one. When i handed DK's ass to him once more, i had the pleasure of witnessing the funniest Kong moment ever -i won't spoil it- and six brand new "plus" worlds open up.

Even after they are beaten (which i have yet to do) there are twelve "expert" levels that are earned by beating the pre-set level high scores in each world. And they don't take the term "expert" lightly. I've only managed to unlock eight or so, but damn they're tricky!

Outrider
Jul 9, 2004, 11:21 PM
It seemed fun. I loved Donkey Kong on Gameboy, and this is essentially a sequel/remake, right?

But still... so many games I already own that need to be played and so many games already waiting to be bought.

DruidMettool
Jul 9, 2004, 11:50 PM
Aside from the horridly evil World 3-plus, there is no reason you shouldn't buy Mario vs. DK.

So what the hell are you waiting for?! Go out and buy this game!

Firocket1690
Jul 10, 2004, 01:46 AM
Well, I like the fact they're going back to 2d mario. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

On the other hand ... Making a puzzle game out of it is messed up >.>;

Bradicus
Jul 10, 2004, 10:08 AM
On 2004-07-09 21:21, Outrider wrote:
It seemed fun. I loved Donkey Kong on Gameboy, and this is essentially a sequel/remake, right?

Remake? no.
The game's objectives, moves, and... well... even genre are totally different. As firo stated, it is now a type of action/puzzle, though it is difficult to tell which one is most prevalent.

Let's put it this way: if you can figure out the harder Prince of Persia puzzles, you can work your way though these - the trouble lies in jumping, flipping, hammering, and climbing your way through them without getting murdered.

Sequel? possibly.
There is no princess to be rescued... and DK isn't even really a bad guy. More like an impulsive victim of circumstance. But, yeah. That's most likely what the good people at Nintendo had in mind.

Outrider
Jul 10, 2004, 12:06 PM
Err... but I played the demo of it, and he had all the same backflips, handstands, etc as in Donkey Kong. Plus, that game certainly had quite a bit of puzzle influence in it.

I dunno.

Bradicus
Jul 10, 2004, 02:29 PM
On 2004-07-10 10:06, Outrider wrote:
Err... but I played the demo of it, and he had all the same backflips, handstands, etc as in Donkey Kong. Plus, that game certainly had quite a bit of puzzle influence in it.

I dunno.

Okay then. The objectives and genre are different >_>;

I was thinking the original Donkey Kong.

Firocket1690
Jul 10, 2004, 02:55 PM
On 2004-07-10 12:29, Bradicus wrote:
I was thinking the original Donkey Kong.

That's where the engine came in when I said "old 2d mario game"

It's the same enging they had in the original "mario"
... the retro machine in DK64

Skett
Jul 10, 2004, 04:40 PM
Eh, the game is on my "buy when I have extra cash and bought all the games that I really want to buy" pile. The gameplay does not interest me much. I think I am going to jusy buy the original DK game for Game Boy used at my EB Games.

Jason
Jul 11, 2004, 11:36 AM
I loved the original Donkey Kong for Game Boy. It was nice that it started with basic similar levels of Donkey Kong for NES/retro arcade machine. As much as I love the original, maybe I will buy Mario vs. Donkey Kong. I just prefer to rescue Pauline (in the original way) than toys.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jason on 2004-07-11 09:40 ]</font>