PDA

View Full Version : 911 and drunk-driving.

anwserman
Jul 10, 2004, 01:09 AM
Went to Ashland tonight, out of pure boredom. So, on the way back I catch up to this guy who is driving quite erratically on the road. It is Friday night at 12:30 AM, and this guy crosses the center line about four times during my time trailing him, quickly swerving back and over-correcting again. And if he didn't go over the line, his driving skills were less-then-perfect.

Not that I'm perfect or anything, but there was definately something not right here. I mean, there is bad driving and there is drunk driving.

So I call 9-1-1 like a good citizen, give a description of a vehicle the best I could since it was dark out and that I didn't want to drive off the road by reporting a vehicle on a cell-phone, let alone drive myself... when I gave the guy on the other end the wrong license plate. Damn Michigan plate, the fucking B looks an 8 gosh-dammit!

Grr. They asked for my name and my phone number... they can't do anything if I gave a wrong letter right?

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Edit: Corrected the part where I typed God's name in vein.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: anwserman on 2004-07-09 23:10 ]</font>

Myopathy
Jul 10, 2004, 01:12 AM
On 2004-07-09 23:09, anwserman wrote:
Went to Ashland tonight, out of pure boredom. So, on the way back I catch up to this guy who is driving quite erratically on the road. It is Friday night at 12:30 AM, and this guy crosses the center line about four times during my time trailing him, quickly swerving back and over-correcting again. And if he didn't go over the line, his driving skills were less-then-perfect.

Not that I'm perfect or anything, but there was definately something not right here. I mean, there is bad driving and there is drunk driving.

So I call 9-1-1 like a good citizen, give a description of a vehicle the best I could since it was dark out and that I didn't want to drive off the road by reporting a vehicle on a cell-phone, let alone drive myself... when I gave the guy on the other end the wrong license plate. Damn Michigan plate, the fucking B looks an 8 gosh-dammit!

Grr. They asked for my name and my phone number... they can't do anything if I gave a wrong letter right?

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Edit: Corrected the part where I typed God's name in vein.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: anwserman on 2004-07-09 23:10 ]</font>

Why not call back and correct it?

anwserman
Jul 10, 2004, 01:19 AM
1) The person turned off the highway I named, and onto a street on which I have no idea what it was named.
2) I don't remember the license plate number now, except it was an 8 instead of a B.
3) The guy on the other end said that I could go, and that they'd try to find someone with that description.

Now, I'm not too worried since the person did pull off the road... I did do my best after all by trying to do the right thing. But damn those license plates suck. I mean, what are they gonna do, arrest me for misreading an 8 for a B at 1AM in the morning? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Guess I anwsered my own rant.

Kadavreski
Jul 10, 2004, 05:10 AM
wow...thats something not many people do...

AUTO_
Jul 10, 2004, 01:06 PM
Benedict!

It was probably an old lady trying to find Country Kitchen Buffet.

you..

cold..

hearted..

bastard..!

If a drunk/wreckless driver appears to be a minor threat...I (MYSELF) wouldn't worry to much about it. The dude/dudette could've had a long day at...work...or possibly his wife/husband just divorced him/her...

9er.

InfernoNR7
Jul 10, 2004, 01:10 PM
On 2004-07-10 11:06, AUTO_ wrote:
Benedict!

It was probably an old lady trying to find Country Kitchen Buffet.

you..

cold..

hearted..

bastard..!

If a drunk/wreckless driver appears to be a minor threat...I (MYSELF) wouldn't worry to much about it. The dude/dudette could've had a long day at...work...or possibly his wife/husband just divorced him/her...

9er.

I wouldn't call swerving like that a "Minor" threat....... What about oncoming traffic? The person is dangerous to them.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: InfernoNR7 on 2004-07-10 11:47 ]</font>

Armok
Jul 10, 2004, 01:42 PM
You don't call the police on ppl for being drunk driving thats just wrong Its a simple young persons error of judgement.

It holds no benifit to you and could end up ruining that kids life or costing them 100's of dollars if the police do catch them.

InfernoNR7
Jul 10, 2004, 01:47 PM
On 2004-07-10 11:42, Armok wrote:
You don't call the police on ppl for being drunk driving thats just wrong Its a simple young persons error of judgement.

It holds no benifit to you and could end up ruining that kids life or costing them 100's of dollars if the police do catch them.

So when the drunk guy runs over the little kid crossing the street at the RED light, you're supposed to think that it was a good idea to NOT call the cops? Just think for a second. If the person wasn't responsible enough to NOT drink and drive, than why should you let him continue driving?

Kadavreski
Jul 10, 2004, 01:54 PM
On 2004-07-10 11:47, InfernoNR7 wrote:

So when the drunk guy runs over the little kid crossing the street at the RED light, you're supposed to think that it was a good idea to NOT call the cops? Just think for a second. If the person wasn't responsible enough to NOT drink and drive, than why should you let him continue driving?

i'll go with both of you. they is some good points.

InfinityXXX
Jul 10, 2004, 02:20 PM
Personally, i wouldn't call the police but to each its on opinion. This reminds me of a time when i had picked up my little sister from school and this crazy hag who was speeding in a neighborhood. She almosts hits me so she gets mad at me! She follows me home and jumps out her car and comes up to me in my garage and says "I" almost hit her. Do you not know if i was some sicko i could've killed her and none would've known. I flick her off and go in my house and lock the door without looking at her and she says shes going to report me to the police. Its been 4 months and i haven't heard anything. The police probably laughed in her face when she told them the story.

ABDUR101
Jul 10, 2004, 03:14 PM

Screw that, my 18 year old nephew wrecked two vehicles in a matter of afew weeks because the dumbass was drunk. He's lucky he walked away without a scratch, and appearently the idiot did'nt learn anything after his dad was driving drunk, hit someone head on and killed them.

I have no sympathy for drunk drivers who don't know their own limits, expecially children who's body is old enough to drive but their minds aren't, let alone to add alcohol to the mix. Stay off the fucking road so the rest of us don't have to suffer for your night of boozing.

If you're not mature enough mentally to know your alcohol limit, don't drink in public, or atleast stay at home so the only person you hurt is yourself when you drown in the toilet.

Dangerous55
Jul 10, 2004, 03:59 PM

Stupid.

It's his own damn fault, drunk drivers killed so many people around here I can't remember them all.

Throw him in jail for a night and fine him, maybe he will think twice about doing it next time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dangerous55 on 2004-07-10 14:01 ]</font>

InfernoNR7
Jul 10, 2004, 05:06 PM
Amen Dangerous and ABDUR.

Link00seven
Jul 11, 2004, 12:13 AM
On 2004-07-10 15:06, InfernoNR7 wrote:
Amen Dangerous and ABDUR.

Agreed, defently.

*looks at sig once again*

InfernoNR7
Jul 11, 2004, 12:51 AM
On 2004-07-10 22:13, Linkooseven wrote:

Agreed, defently.

*looks at sig once again*

By the way, your sig rules. It's more true than most realise. *nods*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: InfernoNR7 on 2004-07-10 22:52 ]</font>

AUTO_
Jul 11, 2004, 02:49 AM
About the running over the kid at the red light...

He said he was on the freeway...and what kid is walking around at midnight?

And from his story I don't know how major the crossing of the center line was...sober drivers do stupid shit all the time without the influence of alcohol.

I agree with Abdur on the knowing your limits deal...driving absolutely shitfaced doesn't do anyone any good if you can't control your vehicle.

Ness
Jul 11, 2004, 06:42 AM

It's his own fault for driving drunk in the first place. He probably knew that he was going to get hammered at whatever event he went to so he should have brought along a designated driver. If someone doesn't report him, he probably won't learn his lesson until its too late.

Kadavreski
Jul 11, 2004, 06:54 AM
well, this happens to thousands evey day...

i blame budweiser http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Armok
Jul 11, 2004, 11:50 AM
I'm not disagreeing that drunk driving aint dumb. But at 2 in the morning on a freeway their aint any one else on the road in general no kids to kill and its pretty hard to crash in an automatic even if you are slightly over the limit. You don't know the situation behind the events dont call the police.

Example - my friend meet his gf last year while she was over her doing a year abroad of studies. Now she went back home and while driving back from a party one night got pulled over by the police cos some **** busy body had noticed her forgetting to put an indictator one and calling the police. Now she got fined alot and lost her licence and to top it all aint allowed over here cos of the drunk driving charge. Now thats fucked over her over cos some **** desided to be a good citizen and tell the police on her dispite the fact she never hit anyone and was using an almost abandoned road.

ABDUR101
Jul 11, 2004, 12:05 PM
She would'nt have gotten a DUI charge unless they tested her and it came back that she was over the alcohol limit.

Not turning on an indicator is a small thing, but something you're supposed to do either way. Being unable to stay on the road is an entirely different matter, and quite an important part of driving.

Kadavreski
Jul 11, 2004, 01:40 PM
On 2004-07-11 09:50, Armok wrote:
I'm not disagreeing that drunk driving aint dumb. But at 2 in the morning on a freeway their aint any one else on the road in general no kids to kill and its pretty hard to crash in an automatic even if you are slightly over the limit. You don't know the situation behind the events dont call the police.

Example - my friend meet his gf last year while she was over her doing a year abroad of studies. Now she went back home and while driving back from a party one night got pulled over by the police cos some **** busy body had noticed her forgetting to put an indictator one and calling the police. Now she got fined alot and lost her licence and to top it all aint allowed over here cos of the drunk driving charge. Now thats fucked over her over cos some **** desided to be a good citizen and tell the police on her dispite the fact she never hit anyone and was using an almost abandoned road.

that girlfriends boyfriend must be heartbroken http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

AUTO_
Jul 11, 2004, 02:31 PM
On 2004-07-11 10:05, ABDUR101 wrote:
She would'nt have gotten a DUI charge unless they tested her and it came back that she was over the alcohol limit.

The "alcohol limit" is a joke now for being "illegally drunk". You can fail the breathalizer test after drinking a 7UP.

Armok
Jul 11, 2004, 02:42 PM
Firstly in a busy enviroment 2 units or 1 pint is pretty safe to drive. In an enviroment with no cars no traffic no ppl its easy. The guidelines are stupid and can be fooled as easily as eating fries (potato statch) you know as it absorbs the alcohol vapour that is in the stomach that these things measure.

Anyway if your really pissed and going down the freeway. Then you see a police car you are miles more likely to have a crash in panic or as result chase as your so messed up you don't think logically and stop. Its more dangerous by far having them involved.

Ness
Jul 11, 2004, 02:51 PM
On 2004-07-11 12:42, Armok wrote:
Firstly in a busy enviroment 2 units or 1 pint is pretty safe to drive. In an enviroment with no cars no traffic no ppl its easy. The guidelines are stupid and can be fooled as easily as eating fries (potato statch) you know as it absorbs the alcohol vapour that is in the stomach that these things measure.

Anyway if your really pissed and going down the freeway. Then you see a police car you are miles more likely to have a crash in panic or as result chase as your so messed up you don't think logically and stop. Its more dangerous by far having them involved.

But the point is that driving under the influence isn't safe at all, cops or no cops.

ABDUR101
Jul 11, 2004, 02:55 PM
Well I guess in the end, don't get attention drawn to yourself and you'll be fine?

Who cares about a ticket or a fine or a minor offense, shit like that isn't going to mess up anyone's future. In the states, underage drinking and driving is an issue, because idiots don't know their limits. That and I'm sure being looked at as cool for having downed the most alcohol can play into it, but in the end nothing more than being a damn child.

Sorry to hear about the crap with your friend's girlfriend, but shit like that happens. Depends entirely where you're at and those involved.

Armok
Jul 11, 2004, 02:59 PM
I'm just particular biased against the issue here. I can understand that some ppl are idiots and do stupid things like drink drive and mow down kids. But if they where going aftre those ppl surely they would have a road side drug test as well.

darthsaber9x9
Jul 11, 2004, 04:17 PM
Armok, its not an issue where the person was drunk. whose to say that next time it will be earlier in a residential area? by deterring the drink-driver now it could save lives in the future. i think thats far more important than what is a reliatively small inconvenience to the driver, compared to death.

thats a bit jumbled i know but you get my point http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

Dangerous55
Jul 11, 2004, 05:48 PM
Drunk driving is drunk driving. No matter what, you are still driving drunk. You are never alone on a road, there will always been someone by you at one point or another.

opaopajr
Jul 13, 2004, 05:15 AM
no one ever has the right to endanger someone's life through carelessness. period.

that said i wish there were breathilizers attached to the ingition to prevent DUIs from even happening. and anyone who says people can just ask their sober buds to breathe into it and let 'em go is just crazy. that's like 2nd or 3rd degree murder to have a sober person facilitate an incapable person to operate dangerous large machinery. that ain't no friend if they ever did that.

i also believe we need more reliable mass transit and affordable cabbies throughout the nation.

i know people like to socialize and drink, and can empathize. but everything in america is sooo far away and the temptation for the weak-willed must be really strong. but still, you must be responsible for such irresponsible behavior. we need to encourage other answers to this problem besides the status quo.

by the way, anwserman, you did the right thing. it could've saved someone's life, including the drivers.

DarthFomar
Jul 13, 2004, 05:20 AM
Drunk drivers suck.

If a drunk driver kills me and he survives the crash. I'm going to haunt his ass for all eternity. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

But, seriously.......driving drunk is not good. It is a big nono. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif