PDA

View Full Version : Drop Theory

Nazo
Jul 11, 2004, 11:59 AM
Don't worry... this isn't some BS thing that I'm going to get myself flamed on -_-....

I was just wondering, how do the drop rates work?- especially on bosses.
My theory is something like this (as an example; not accurately):

Dragon drops in Hard: monomate, dimate, trimate, monofluid, difluid, trifluid, antipar, antido, meseta, and Musashi.

I know that the musashi has a certain drop rate, but do the other items that it drop incorporate? I just want clarification, because I seem to be confused between the "roulette" method and the "rare-is-individual-and-has-nothing-to-do-with-other-items" method.

Thanks.

jspacemunkey
Jul 11, 2004, 12:11 PM
i'm not sure i'm precisely addressing your query, so forgive me if i'm going over ground you're already familiar with.

i've read all sorts of elaborate metaphors for how drops work, but it's really not worth crafting a metaphor for the process. it's fairly simple: if an item has a 1/10 drop rate you have a 10% chance of finding the item when you kill the associated enemy. at the same time you have a 90% chance of getting something else. and if you kill the same enemy, say, two times you don't (and some people have a hard time understanding this) raise your chance of finding the item to 20%. instead you have the 10% chance repeated in two separate instances. 10% twice over is still better than 10% by itself. hope that's what you're looking for.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jspacemunkey on 2004-07-11 10:22 ]</font>

Eanae
Jul 11, 2004, 12:29 PM
I'll put it the way I believe it's done.

Say you put each item you have a chance of finding in a box, in proportion to one another. (I know it isn't right, but say like musashi has a 1/10, and a monomate is 1/2, put 1 musashi and 5 monomates into the box) then draw a piece from the box. What ever comes out would be what you get. Maybe you'd be lucky enough to draw that one musashi instead of one of the 5 monomates. Hope that helps. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Superguppie
Jul 11, 2004, 01:43 PM
I'm sure Sounomi or Barubary would be able to tell a thing or two here. I'm also pretty sure neither will respond anymore. So, from comments I've seen on the subject, I think it goes somewhat like this:

All items are given a class (green box, blue box, orange box...) and rank. (crap, maybe useful, useful, valuable...) Each monster (or box) has 3 settings:
The drop nothing rate. On average, this many will not drop anything
The drop class/rank. If something is dropped, it will be one from this class/rank.
The rare drop, including rate. These are the ones we find in the drop tables.

Whenever a monster is destroyed, the first one is used to determine if something is to drop. (This is where the notorious 0-drop rate for PGF and RR stop these from dropping)
If something is to drop, the third one is used to determine if it is a rare drop.
If not, the second one is used to randomly get one from the right class/rank.
Randomly, (probably with a fixed probability) a drop is replaced by a Photon Drop.

Mind you, this is all guesswork, based on comments on the subject I have seen over time.

Miroku77
Jul 11, 2004, 05:32 PM
Heres another way to think about it:
Think of a type of a wheel of fourtune. If the drop rate is 1/125, then the wheel has 125 sections, every time you kill the guy, you spin the wheel. One section has the rare and the other sections have the other stuff you get.

Quo
Jul 11, 2004, 05:43 PM
Not to sound mean or anything; but, what does it matter? You're not hunting monomates or anything are you? The only drop rate that really counts is the rare drop (and tech disks and stuff like that).

darthsaber9x9
Jul 11, 2004, 07:23 PM
On 2004-07-11 15:43, Quo wrote:
Not to sound mean or anything; but, what does it matter? You're not hunting monomates or anything are you? The only drop rate that really counts is the rare drop (and tech disks and stuff like that).

there was no need for that.... i mean its curiosity eh?

Quo
Jul 11, 2004, 07:36 PM
On 2004-07-11 17:23, darthsaber9x9 wrote:

On 2004-07-11 15:43, Quo wrote:

there was no need for that.... i mean its curiosity eh?

I did say I wasn't trying to be mean. I just think its not really worth being curious about.

For what its worth, here are my ideas:

Mathematically, all of the drop rates for an enemy have to add up to 1. Say an enemy has a drop anything rate of 30% like a tollaw (which I hate). We already have .7 of its drops accounted for. Lets say this enemies rare drop is 1/900. Thats about .001%. More than likely, Tech disks, scape dolls, grinders, P drops and materials each have a set drop rate as well. The rest of the 100% would be the drop rate for every other item, mates and fluids and non-rare weapons and armor and stuff like that and when the algorithm selects this catagory it randomly (not really random, but as close as it can get) select an item from this catagory.

These are just my thoughts. I have no proof.

Dillon
Jul 11, 2004, 07:51 PM
You know..it would be kinda neat just to know how this stuff really worked, like from the coding and what not.

Too bad Sounomi or Barubary (sp?) isn't around..it'd be neat to know.

But..since all that's kinda confusing for my mind right now, I'll just put in my little 2 cents: It's completely random!

Haha..I know, don't say it. But, there's gotta be some kind of formula/mathematical checking involved with it..or at least I'd assume there is.

Nazo
Jul 11, 2004, 10:36 PM
Hm... thanks for that I guess. I suppose that box theory probably is the best, talking proportionally.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif Ah well, what the hell.