PDA

View Full Version : Why Is It That You Don't See Many FOmarls Online?

BlitzkriegOS
Jul 13, 2004, 12:58 AM
I've noticed an enormous absence in the character class, FOmarl, and I was just why is that? Is that the character class is weak or just really unpopular?

You can always spot FOmar's, FOnewns, and FOnewearls running around the lobbies. If I'm recalling correctly I've seen 1 FOmarl the entire time I've been online and that's about 3 1/2 weeks now.

Quo
Jul 13, 2004, 01:39 AM
The problem is that most people are too stupid to recognize the best character class in the game. FOmarl today, FOmarl tomorrow, FOmarl forever.

IMO.

hucasts_rock
Jul 13, 2004, 01:51 AM
Hm, yeah, I do notice the FOmarl shortage. I also notice there's an extreme RAcaseal shortage as well. Hmph, I have a FOmarl and a RAcaseal, and I enjoy playing both of them. I guess people just go for the most powerful characters, not paying attention to bonuses or stats.

Nai_Calus
Jul 13, 2004, 01:53 AM
I always saw plenty of FOmarls and RAcaseals when I was online. XP

And FOmarl has good support boosts, but her other stats are kind of meh. Her animations turn me off her. :-/

RAcaseal seems to specialize in, of all things, DFP. ...Who... really cares about DFP? @_X

Quo
Jul 13, 2004, 02:03 AM
On 2004-07-12 23:53, Ian-KunX wrote:
I always saw plenty of FOmarls and RAcaseals when I was online. XP

And FOmarl has good support boosts, but her other stats are kind of meh. Her animations turn me off her. :-/

RAcaseal seems to specialize in, of all things, DFP. ...Who... really cares about DFP? @_X

Screw support techs. The FOmarl may not excel any other Force class in any one stat (excluding ATA), but she's more well rounded. She's made of better stuff than the others. I can't stand how the newman Forces look; I refuse to play them. Between the FOmarl and FOmar, I would rather have the grants boost since the only mid level spell I use is Gizonde, and I use grants alot and appreciate it being ungodly powerful (especially with a caduceus).

Nai_Calus
Jul 13, 2004, 02:12 AM
...Don't play online much, do you? Even with better MST and better tech boosts, FOmar still does trash tech damage online. And Grants is too costly to use much, and not that effective on most enemies. Better off meleeing.

silvermax
Jul 13, 2004, 02:15 AM
On 2004-07-13 00:03, Quo wrote:
and I use grants alot and appreciate it being ungodly powerful (especially with a caduceus).

ive only ever seen that kinda damage from Forest Hildets http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

1001 damage woo

other then that, i was better off with a foie =/

Quo
Jul 13, 2004, 02:16 AM
On 2004-07-13 00:12, Ian-KunX wrote:
...Don't play online much, do you? Even with better MST and better tech boosts, FOmar still does trash tech damage online. And Grants is too costly to use much, and not that effective on most enemies. Better off meleeing.

Nope, completely offline. But the online resistances are about the same as the offline multi-mode resistances, right? My FOmarl still beats the pants off my friends' characters when we play multi.

oeagrus
Jul 13, 2004, 08:39 AM
I can answer this question (at least from the Xbox side of things...)

Deathelle is now a level 186 FOmarl, she's about a year and 1/4 old, and I rarely play her or any of my support FOrces anymore. Why?

Because I find myself getting too "pissy" with people, and it wrecks my gaming experience. Let me elaborate, and remember while you're reading this that 95% of all players on the Xbox are illegit. They're complete with J-swords, BKBs, Red Rings, stacked items and 300% things.

Because of all this illegit stuff, I no longer cast Shifta on anyone besides myself (why empower the overpowered?) I don't play Zalure since things are usually dead before the casting animation finishes!!

So what does that make me? I'm a no-Shifta-throwing, no-Deband-throwing, no-Zalure-throwing, only-casting-Jellen-when-my-ass-is-on-the-line-throwing, FOMARL. Which means that support, the very reason I became and levelled up my FOmarl for 15+ months, is essentially useless in the current environment.

So, I'll play her offline, or bring her into serious Legit Only games with my good friends, but when I'm just playing to play, I play my FOnewm and spam techs 'til the cows come home. Then I tech spam the cows. I Deband myself, and that's it. It really sucks and is one of the many reasons I find myself playing less and less PSO, but that's another rant entirely.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: oeagrus on 2004-07-13 06:40 ]</font>

Zinger314
Jul 13, 2004, 09:28 AM
On 2004-07-13 06:39, oeagrus wrote:
Because I find myself getting too "pissy" with people, and it wrecks my gaming experience. Let me elaborate, and remember while you're reading this that 95% of all players on the Xbox are illegit. They're complete with J-swords, BKBs, Red Rings, stacked items and 300% things.

Because of all this illegit stuff, I no longer cast Shifta on anyone besides myself (why empower the overpowered?) I don't play Zalure since things are usually dead before the casting animation finishes!!

So what does that make me? I'm a no-Shifta-throwing, no-Deband-throwing, no-Zalure-throwing, only-casting-Jellen-when-my-ass-is-on-the-line-throwing, FOMARL. Which means that support, the very reason I became and levelled up my FOmarl for 15+ months, is essentially useless in the current environment.

Heh. I can speak for you. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Personally, I don't like the FOmarl, because it's virtually useless solo. FOmarls only have their advantages with their support boosts.

A FOnewearl equipped with a Striker of Chao (which all FOnewerals SHOULD have equipped) is just as effective as a FOmarl, even more effective.

Also, short FOnewearls are cute. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

FOmarls do have the advantage of the fast Inferno Bazooka animation and is the only class to be able to use Riko's Glasses.

Sitka
Jul 13, 2004, 10:46 AM
Have you ever seen a Fomarl run?

For that reason, and that reason alone, Fomarl's should not be used.

But seriously, Oeagrus, those of us who play legit on Dav. 10 would be more than happy to host games with your Fomarl as we do appreciate a Force that knows how to play the damn game.

Look for games marked Skyly Legit (my Racast's games) and come on over where we have a pretty decent group of legit players - no red rings, no stacking items, no hacked weapons/mags - just good play.

Myopathy
Jul 13, 2004, 12:29 PM
On 2004-07-13 08:46, Sitka wrote:
Have you ever seen a Fomarl run?

For that reason, and that reason alone, Fomarl's should not be used.

But seriously, Oeagrus, those of us who play legit on Dav. 10 would be more than happy to host games with your Fomarl as we do appreciate a Force that knows how to play the damn game.

Look for games marked Skyly Legit (my Racast's games) and come on over where we have a pretty decent group of legit players - no red rings, no stacking items, no hacked weapons/mags - just good play.

I don't know what you all are talking about, I like the FOmarl's running animations.

Cc08
Jul 13, 2004, 01:23 PM
Nope, completely offline. But the online resistances are about the same as the offline multi-mode resistances, right? My FOmarl still beats the pants off my friends' characters when we play multi. I think online resistances are higher. Lemme check. I couldn't find a guide, but I used the tech damage calculator, and Offline the techs do alot more damage. So, I guess online monsters have better resistances.

J3553
Jul 13, 2004, 01:23 PM
FOmarl's are the best forces simply because they are hot. Really. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I've see quite a few FOmarls, actually if there is less of any class I could say it is definetely FOnewm...

Solstis
Jul 13, 2004, 04:08 PM
On 2004-07-13 06:39, oeagrus wrote:
I can answer this question (at least from the Xbox side of things...)

Deathelle is now a level 186 FOmarl, she's about a year and 1/4 old, and I rarely play her or any of my support FOrces anymore. Why?

So, I'll play her offline, or bring her into serious Legit Only games with my good friends, but when I'm just playing to play, I play my FOnewm and spam techs 'til the cows come home. Then I tech spam the cows. I Deband myself, and that's it. It really sucks and is one of the many reasons I find myself playing less and less PSO, but that's another rant entirely.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: oeagrus on 2004-07-13 06:40 ]</font>

Excuse me. I've gone into games with punks carrying around uber "133t" BKBs and J-Swords and manage to cast my techs very quickly.

If you ever see a newm wander into a crowd of enemies, J/Z them, and run away, that's me. I really don't care how much cheap crap they do because I'm fast.

RicoRoyal
Jul 13, 2004, 04:37 PM
Well said, Solstis.

I too own a FOnewn. Hell, I even own a Psycho Wand and a Rafoie Merge. Does that mean all I'm good for is going into games and tech spamming the shit out of everything? HELL NO!

As a FO (forget any of this newm, mar, marl, newearl shit), it is not so much a burden to cast SDJZ during a game, as much as it is a privelage. I play (more like played, seeing as how I've been offline for 1/2 a year now) with dupers and legits alike. As long as I feel they play fairly (fairly and legitly are far from being the same) and contribute to the game environment, then I too feel obligated to do the same in return. Even with all of my FOnewm-worthy equipment on (and at level 151), my techs don't do much damage online in comparison to what most HUs (and a few RAs) are doing on a regular basis. I, much like Solstis am the one putting my ass on the line for the team. It pays off overall, in that we ALL clear rooms faster together. Teamwork is what so much of PSO is all about.

Exclusively tech spamming online is a waste of TP, a waste of time, and a waste of a Force (yes, even FOnewms). Does that mean you shouldn't do it occasionaly? My no means. Do it whenever the opportunity presents itself. But as a FO, the team always comes first. I'm sure you can do both support and tech spamming. Mix it up a little and try meleeing too if the opportunity presents itself. But again, always remember that the team comes first! Support your damn team!!!

That brings me back on topic sort of. FOmarls are a delicate class that takes plenty of patience to master in any way whatsoever. But there in lies the secret of the class, even though they take alot to master, they have the most options in terms of what exactly they will master. Just as Forces can mix it up a bit and do more than just tech spam, the same applies to FOmarl. They are quite capable of meleeing, and even tech spamming with the correct equipment. The big difference between FOmarl and a FOnewm, however, is that FOmarls support abilities really take the front seat until much later on in the game. Nonetheless, that is not the only thing they are good for.

You don't see FOmarls online very often because most people simply have no patience for raising one (as is the case with FOnewms... poor overlooked FOnewms http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cry.gif). Patience, people; that's what it means to be a FOmarl. Good things come to those who wait. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

SpyroDi
Jul 13, 2004, 08:46 PM
FOmarls are the second most balanced class in the game stat-wise(second to HUmar),which is why I like them. FOmarls have the most DFP and HP of the FOrces as well,and they're damned useful in C-mode.

Nai_Calus
Jul 13, 2004, 09:05 PM
Why do people extoll the FOmarl for being balanced and a challenge and slam the fuck out of the HUmar for the SAME EXACT THING? </random>

No, seriously. @_@ *hugs his HUmar*

RicoRoyal
Jul 13, 2004, 09:07 PM
*hugs imaginary HUmar that he doesn't have*
*also hugs imaginary FOmarl that he doesnt have*

I love 'em all. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

J3553
Jul 13, 2004, 09:08 PM
On 2004-07-13 19:05, Ian-KunX wrote:
Why do people extoll the FOmarl for being balanced and a challenge and slam the fuck out of the HUmar for the SAME EXACT THING? </random>

No, seriously. @_@ *hugs his HUmar*

Personally I think class bashing is stupid. It's not what class you are, it's how skilled you are at the game...they all have their good and bad points.

LoreSeeker
Jul 13, 2004, 10:39 PM
HUmars get bashed because noobs like to play them. I think I see a pattern with noobish things. The pattern: noobs like default(ish) things. Notice that HUs are the first choice in character selection, and HUmar is the first choice after that. From there, the noob may give their character yellow hair and a black outfit, whatever. Also, please notice that noobs go to Vega 01 whenever possible, which is the first choice for ship and block. Coincidence? Possibly, but it seems interesting to me.

I love my FOmarl, and I love every FOmarl I've ever played with (the reason I made one, actually). When I see a FOmarl join the game, I think "finally, someone who has their head on straight and won't need to be asked to cast S&D twenty times before they stop spamming Rafoie." FOmarls excel in support, and for that reason, people don't like them. Why would the regular noob want to cast Resta on people when they could just go up and bash Dimenians with their 300% dark BKB instead? The FO class I give a little room for error with is the FOnewm, because they have absolutely no support bonuses and aren't really made for that role. Still, they should try to help out whenever they can. FOnewms, please S&D me in hallways at least. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Pretty please?

Tycho
Jul 13, 2004, 11:36 PM
On 2004-07-13 00:03, Quo wrote:
I can't stand how the newman Forces look;

mean =(, foneys are cute

oeagrus
Jul 14, 2004, 07:20 AM
Excuse me. I've gone into games with punks carrying around uber "133t" BKBs and J-Swords and manage to cast my techs very quickly.

Well yippee for you. One cookie, coming up. FOR CHRIST'S SAKE, THIS IS MY OPINION, understand? If it doesn't bother you, then keep fricking playing. It bothers me, so I've lessened my playing.

I can "cast my techs very quickly" but that's not what I was writing about, was it? Hmm???
1) I play a support/melee force
2) Too many hacked weps, stacked items, etc.
3) Due to 2), there's little need for Shifta/Deband
4) Due to 2), there's no need for Jellen/Zalure
5) Due to 3+4, there's little need for support force

Okay, is that clear enough? Need a schematic? Add to this the fact that YES many times things die before one spell can go off, and I get a little PO'd. So I end up walking into a room, casting RAzonde (since it has no target and will always go off, unlike RAfoie) and using my Inferno Bazooka a few times. Yay. Think I'll go watch some paint dry now.

LoreSeeker
Jul 14, 2004, 02:06 PM
On 2004-07-14 05:20, oeagrus wrote:

Well yippee for you. One cookie, coming up. FOR CHRIST'S SAKE, THIS IS MY OPINION, understand? If it doesn't bother you, then keep fricking playing. It bothers me, so I've lessened my playing.

I can "cast my techs very quickly" but that's not what I was writing about, was it? Hmm???
1) I play a support/melee force
2) Too many hacked weps, stacked items, etc.
3) Due to 2), there's little need for Shifta/Deband
4) Due to 2), there's no need for Jellen/Zalure
5) Due to 3+4, there's little need for support force

Okay, is that clear enough? Need a schematic? Add to this the fact that YES many times things die before one spell can go off, and I get a little PO'd. So I end up walking into a room, casting RAzonde (since it has no target and will always go off, unlike RAfoie) and using my Inferno Bazooka a few times. Yay. Think I'll go watch some paint dry now.

I feel your pain on that. I've been in a somewhat reversed situation which was equally annoying. When playing on my HUcaseal (who is legit, and thusly wasn't as powerful as the cheaters in hard mode), this cheating FOnewm joined the game and started nuking everything with his level 30 techs, which were boosted insanely by his P Wand and Red Merge. As a little hunter, I couldn't run around to get hits in fast enough, and the guy just wouldn't stop nuking. Needless to say, I left that game very promptly. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

EDIT: I just remembered, I think I have a solution to your problems with lame people joining your games. What I like to do is name my team "no asswipes" which eliminates all of the idiots, and leaves only fun people. It doesn't matter if you're legit or not. If a legit guy comes in and just starts moaning about crap, I tell him to stop being an asswipe or leave my game. If a non-legit comes in and starts stealing all of the exp, I tell him to stop being an asswipe or leave. It works very well, in my opinion. I don't think this next situation would really be much of a problem on Xbox, but if someone joins in and doesn't much feel like turning off their caps lock key, I always enjoy telling them to get out of my game. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_quickdraw.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LoreSeeker on 2004-07-14 12:10 ]</font>

Skorpius
Jul 14, 2004, 04:07 PM
http://img12.photobucket.com/albums/v31/Snapshots/Characters/Mauri/snapshot_050204_135226.png

How did I miss this topic?

Mauri" , my lovely FOmarl. She is my favorite character, and FOmarls are my favorite class. They are well balanced, can offer suppost, but I feel they are better for melee/shooting purposes. 200 ATP under FOmars is nothing compared to 10 something ATA over. Thier DFP is awesome, too, as well as HP growth. FOmarls are just as good as RAmarls, even better than HUnewearls, and being super balanced with level 30 techs is what I love about them.

Why don't you see many online? I have an idea. I usually see low level FOmarls online, being leveled with hacks and stupid mags, I hardly see legit ones. Maybe being a force is difficult, and people take them the wrong way. Unlike the other Forces, you shouldn't tech spam. They don't have the boosts or TP growth. You should rather melee/gun with your supporting, you have the ATP, ATA, DFP, and HP to back up your swings/shots.

People probably ditch thier FOmarl, and go with FOmar or FOnewearl. :/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skorpius on 2004-07-14 14:07 ]</font>