PDA

View Full Version : I am so incredibly stuck.

Mixfortune
Jul 18, 2004, 08:05 PM
June 4th was the last time I posted at all in my fic, Before Twilight, and for several reasons.

The most of which would probably be that I sometimes forget to work on it, but the biggest actual hamper is that when I do think to work on it, I'm only able to get a few sentences down, if anything at all, before I descend into writer's block.

I know what I want to happen, and the events that need to happen, I just can't get them to happen.

You'd think I'd be quite fluid and used to it by 34 whole chapters, but it still gets me... and I have no means as to unblock myself other than to just come back to it some other time and hope that something will miraculously enter my head and fingers.

So, I suppose the main purpose of this thread is for me to simply ask for possible methods I could try to use in order to get me to write more, or help my thinking processes as I write. I tried music (but from in and out of the game), but it doesn't seem to help me too much, and actually seems to distract me more.

I shouldn't have much problems once I finish the fic... and there's only about 10 or so chapters remaining... it's just that I need to actually finish those last 10 chapters before I can finally get resettled and start the right way.
Help is appreciated. Much appreciated.

Kupi
Jul 18, 2004, 10:32 PM
Hrm... well, I suppose if you haven't already, write down what you want to happen. I know you said you know what you want to have happen, but I find that actually putting in down in a simple chronologically correct checklist can help to give you focus on what needs to happen next.

If you've already done that and your stuck, try reading someone else's story/ies to get your brain in a linguistic mode. Do NOT watch TV or play video games, as I find that produces the opposite effect.

And if you're really, REALLY stuck, try joining a MUSH or other online role-playing (literal usage) group. I don't mean RP-by-post at a message board, I mean the (comparatively) live chat-type RP. It'll give you a lesson in spontenaity and working with what you've already put down. Of course, if you've already got 34 chapters down, I doubt you really need that kind of lesson, but you're asking for suggestions, so I've given mine.

When all else fails, destroy the Writer's Block with the Drill of Enthusiasm! Or something like that.

Mixfortune
Jul 18, 2004, 10:44 PM
I actually used to play MUDs quite a bit, one in particular, but I haven't really been very active in it for quite some time now (it's amazing I'm still a staff member there). Perhaps that was one of the things that helped me in my writings.

I do actually have a chronological order written down of the next events, but it's a bit old, so I may need to revise it.

Seems my biggest problem at the moment would be that I'm not even sure if what I'm doing is right. I'm not necessarily going to be begging for views or comments, but the criticisms/comments I've recieved are few and far between. After 25 or so chapters it gets harder and harder to write each one after that when I'm not even sure if I'm doing it right. This is another reason I think finishing this first book would help me greatly. It's easier to get new readers into a fic when it's just starting, and then reference them to the first book.

For now, I think I'll probably go back to MUDding for a bit and see if that can help me out. Thanks for the suggestions! If anything, if it doesn't work directly, it will still get my engines going and allow me to get something, anything done. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Edit- Actually, your suggestions about MUSH just triggered an idea that I think may give me inspiration to continue! My cousin and I were going to make a comic of my fic, but it seems that's been set to be on hold indefinitely... but maybe if I ask around and perhaps request a fanart of one of my characters, it might be just the thing to get me to continue writing, even if no one even knows who the character is. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Unfortunately, I'm not good at asking others for requests... :|

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mixfortune on 2004-07-18 20:47 ]</font>

KaFKa
Jul 18, 2004, 11:28 PM
i know exactly what you mean, mix. and unfortunately, i have no cure for it other than just leaving it be until you get the inspiration to do it again.

Sharkyland
Jul 19, 2004, 01:38 AM
Right now, I need revision to my fanfic/comic whatever so I'm going to post my synopsis soon and see what people think of it.