PDA

View Full Version : Just bought braodband adapter. What do we do next?

mikey123
Jul 19, 2004, 02:07 PM
This all new for us.
We have a gamecube, a broadband adapter, and are online thru RoadRunner (Cable modem.)We know we have to purchase a Hunter's License, but not sure where to do so. Also need to know how to connect it all. Can anyone help?

Rich_T
Jul 19, 2004, 02:22 PM
ok, on the bae of the gamecube theres a panel the same shape as the BBA unclip it and stick the BBA in the hole.
Asuming your cable modem is hooked up to your P.C using an ethernet cable

You will need a cable like the one that goes from your computer to your cable modem, if you havent got another one, unplug it from the P.C

Switch off the cable modem from the mains ( ie unplug the mains lead to it)

plug the gamecube BBa into the modem using the ethernet lead

swtich the modem on, wait for it to initalise

switch the gamecube on and load up PSO

go to network settings and create a new network file, set everything to automatic

once done, go to the homepage option it should go to the PSO online homepage ignore the bit about security certifiacte does not exist
you should get a C shaped arrow showing the BBA is conecting to the homepage.
thats it, sign up to PSO on gamecube, and once its all running use your P.C to manage your account

didnt work??
you may need to register your MAC address with your ISP, look on the BBA and theres a sticker with a barcode and a long number this numbers the MAC address, tell your ISP that you want to add a MAC address for an aditional item.

mikey123
Jul 19, 2004, 02:54 PM
You probably realize you're talking to a somewhat of a computer illiterate. So here are a couple of questions:
The BBA came with a phone cord. This is different than the data cable from modem to computer. There is a phone connection on back of computer. Should I connect to that? Will that let it communicate thru the computer and cable modem? Or do I have to buy something else?

Ketchup345
Jul 19, 2004, 07:16 PM
You are on the GC, Correct?

The GC Broadband Adaptors do not generally come with networking cables.

If the cord was bundled in the same packaging (as in what Nintendo bundled it with) as the BBA/Modem, you purchased a Modem, not the needed BBA (since you have a router and Cable modem).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ketchup345 on 2004-07-19 17:16 ]</font>

mikey123
Jul 20, 2004, 01:36 AM
We have a GC. We are running Windows XP S.P.1. We have a cable modem (RoadRunner). The package of the adapter says "MODEM ADAPTER". I'm thinking we purchased the wrong adapter as I don't see the word "Broadband" on the package. It was adverertised as Broadband on Ebay. The cord that came with it is a telephone cord. Have we goofed?

Ketchup345
Jul 20, 2004, 11:20 AM
On 2004-07-19 23:36, mikey123 wrote:
We have a GC. We are running Windows XP S.P.1. We have a cable modem (RoadRunner). The package of the adapter says "MODEM ADAPTER". I'm thinking we purchased the wrong adapter as I don't see the word "Broadband" on the package. It was adverertised as Broadband on Ebay. The cord that came with it is a telephone cord. Have we goofed?

Yes, you got the Dial up instead of a Broadband adaptor.

If it was advertised as a BBA on EBay, and what you got was a Modem, try to return it for your money, and leave a negative comment (do this only after you got your money back if you were able to). It was advertised as a BBA, and you got a Modem.

Try local stores, and if all else fails, try Amazon, or an online store (not a auction though).