PDA

View Full Version : max stats with rare mags

iamthehbomb
Jul 21, 2004, 03:06 PM
Alright. You can all see the title. Is it possible? I've been doing a bit of math on the HUcast, HUnewearl and FOnewearl. I've also been having trouble trying to max all of them with the units and mags I have. I really don't want to go through all the trouble of growing rare mags with different stats again.

The closest I've gotten is my HUcast. I have managed to max three stats (accuracy, defense and luck).

Here's how it looks so far:

MAG - Pushan DEF(20);POW(140);DEX(40);MIND(0)

Rare Units - God Body and God Arm

Mat Diet - Power(80);Defense(15);Evade(10);Luck(45)

This allows for Luck and Defense to be maxed exactly. Accuracy is maxed with two wasted points. I miss maxing Power by a lot (333 points). I am 55 pts away from maxing Evasion. I suppose this isn't all that bad. I could pick up a God Power to help with Power, but I'd still be a ways off. Anyways, I would like some open slots for a God Battle and a cure unit. Right now I'm at a loss. Maybe somebody can help out here.

Ok, for the other two I'm pretty far off. So, I'll just give you guys the rare mags and units I have.

FOnewearl
MAG - Nidra DEF(30);POW(20);DEX(20);MIND(130)
Rare Units - God Body

Note: I really only care about maxing her defense and mind stats. Maybe her evasion too.

HUnewearl
MAG - Bhima DEF(20);POW(120);DEX(40);MIND(20)
Rare Units - God Body

Note: Figuring out her max stats was giving me a headache.

That's it people. Go to it.

Quo
Jul 21, 2004, 03:59 PM
There are several guides to maxing your characters stats. Most of them allow for mags that have balanced levels allowing you to create a rare mag. RicoRoyal cHaOsMaZtA and I are working on a new and improved guide. Have patience, it will be available shortly.

iamthehbomb
Jul 21, 2004, 04:13 PM
Ok Quo. That was exactly the opposite of the kind of answer I was looking for. I have looked at the guides and they aren't very helpful. Why would I post here if I could quickly find help in the guides? I wouldn't. I was looking for some creative suggestions on how to max my chars or get them close to max. I'm NOT goin' to go by some stupidly convoluted method in a guide which requires me to hunt down many units I can't get from my IDs or would take a large amount of time. Almost all of the guides would have me grow brand new mags as well. If you would have actually read my post, you would have seen that.

Quo
Jul 21, 2004, 05:09 PM
I know that wasn't the answer you were looking for. You were looking the community to do your homework for you. Your post basically said this: "I don't like the guides and I'm too lazy to do the math myself. so I want you guys to do it for me."

The guides have all of the information you need. If you don't like them, it's easy enough to tweak the data to get them to fit your needs. You could also start from scratch. That's not hard either. Why would you expect us to do your work when you won't?

jspacemunkey
Jul 21, 2004, 05:23 PM
exactly what i was thinking, quo.

i would add that if you're not willing to do any extra work by, say, recreating a mag or searching for a tough-to-find unit you're going to have a really hard time maxing your characters' stats as they are.

for example...your HUnewearl's mag gives an ata bonus of 20. the difference between a HUnewearl's max ata and lvl 200 ata is 52 points. even with two god/arms you'd still be shy of max. this is a situation where you really, really need to remake the mag.

i spent about eight hours working through the guides to determine how best to max each of my eight characters. i would sit a stack of blank piece of paper, write out the difference on each stat that i had to account for, and then begin writing down all the different possible mag/mat/unit combinations that allowed me to have a couple slots free. i recommend you do the same.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jspacemunkey on 2004-07-21 16:12 ]</font>

Nai_Calus
Jul 21, 2004, 05:55 PM
Note that HUnewearl cannot be maxed completely, so pick some stats that interest you and focus on them. For example, you may wish to go for a weaker HUnewearl in DFP/EVP and aim for maxing her ATP, MST, ATA and LCK.

It's usually better to make your own personal max stat guide anyway if you ever want to do it. For example, my FOmar has 88 LCK and has eaten a bunch of Power mats because I melee with him. Anything with God/Abilty etc just isn't going to work, or will waste stat points. So I aimed for allowing for 3 units, two of which are in stats I don't consider a priority and thus would never use in the first place or would ditch without a second thought if the need for something better came along, allowing for 3 slots for things. The other unit is somewhat sacrificible, too.

But only you know your current mat usage, etc, and what you want to do with classes like HUnewearl that don't max period and need four God/Abilities to get the closest possible. But that leaves you no room for God/Battle, cure units, etc, and taking off even one depending on your Mag will effect the vital stat of ATA.

So forget the guides, in most cases they won't do you any good because most people don't think about maxing until long after they've used too many materials in one direction to ever make it using a guide, or they take a different approach to the class than you'd like(Who wants a shitty HUnl with her MST neglected, or her ATP, for the sake of maxing DFP and EVP, for example? Let's just ignore the point of the class. X_X)...

iamthehbomb
Jul 21, 2004, 06:04 PM
Why does nearly everyone on this board have to be a dick when someone asks for help? I don't get it. Why are you people constantly pissed off? I was just looking for a little help and/or advice. I didn't mean for it to come off like it apparently did. I have looked at the guides (this is the second time I am saying this) and none of them accounted for rare mags. And unlike some of the people on here I don't have endless hours to fuck around and grow mags. Also, I did not say that I wouldn't look for units. I don't want to spend lots of hours doing it. I also don't have the IDs required to find a lot of them (which I also said already).

Regardless of how you interpreted my initial post, I was looking for tips and tweaks on each character - such as which stats are more vital for the HUnewearl (seeing as I've never played or created one before). I can figure out the math easily on my own. THANKS Ian, I was waiting for you to come along and help out. I posted this a bit after your reply. The latter part of this isn't directed at you.

I can't say how sick I am of this bullshit where people are constantly having to defend themselves on these boards. There is no need to pick apart every single word someone says. If you are going to post in the thread with the intent to be an asshole, don't bother posting.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: iamthehbomb on 2004-07-21 16:09 ]</font>

Eanae
Jul 21, 2004, 06:17 PM
You'll have to do the math on this one, but I believe you can use a rare mag when trying to max a character. Using the guides as a starting point, look at the material useage and the mag stats. For every point you have on the mag over what it suggests, take away one material. Likewise for anything under what they say (add one material). Note however that there are no dex materials, so that dex may make for maxing your character a bit more difficult. Hope that helped. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

jspacemunkey
Jul 21, 2004, 06:48 PM
we're being dicks? that's totally uncalled for. speaking of which, you might want to reread your response to quo's first post.

if i seemed an asshole, i apologize. the way your original post, and the follow-up, were worded it sounded as though you wanted someone to go through all the math for you and post a solution, not suggestions about which stats to focus on. it sounded as if you wanted the work done for you, and that's not cool. if you want tips so you can decide what is or is not worth maxing, that's a completely different thing.

my main HUcast has botched mats (i wasn't paying attention and i made a really stupid error in my feeding plan) so i chose to sacrifice luck to ensure his atp would reach max. i'm not going to explain why i opted to let luck suffer because i doubt anyone would make the same choice (i do have a god/luck that i can sub-in to max his luck). this is a situation where i had to figure out what i wanted more and let another stat twist in the wind. since you've already begun to feed your HUcast you might find yourself in a similar situation. since you're not me and therefore not insane, make sure that you max luck and atp. the HUcast's high atp is what makes him unique and for a melee character to have low luck is just nuts.

for my FOnewearl i chose to ignore ata and evp, but i did work to max her atp, dfp and mst. i have a couple very high hit % rainbow batons and i thought it might be nice to have her use them, so she needed max atp but the ata wasn't so much an issue (no other plans to melee). i left evp out more or less. this is because, as far as i know, evp only affects a character's chance to block an attack. since i don't plan for my FOnewearl to be engaging in close combat this didn't seem like a terribly necessary stat. dfp i wanted maxed because there are times when you simply can't avoid getting hit and you wouldn't be able to block anyway. mst is a no-brainer on a FOnewearl.

as ian rightly pointed out HUnewearls cannot be maxed without major slot waste-age. i have my HUnewearl set up for two god/abilities so that every stat but mst will be max. she'll be borroowing my FOnewearl's mind mag for learning techs. i'm actually at a loss here because ian says that a HUnewearl with neglected mst is a bad thing. i didn't think it would hurt her that much to have less than max, but know i'm not sure. at any rate, this is an example of choosing a path and sticking to it. figure out which stats you want to focus on based on how you intend to play.

about rare mags: you really just have to adjust the max stat guides' suggested mat distribution. as eanae pointed out, bumping up a mag's suggested stats so that you can achieve a rare mag stat ratio simply requires that you fiddle with mat distribution. my HUnewearl is set to be max on every stat but mst and she has a rare mag. my two RAcaseals are set to be max on every stat but dfp (and they can easily sub-in a god/body to fix that) and they have rare mags. my HUcaseal is set to be max on every stat and has a rare mag. it can definitely be done.

i don't really know if any of that will help, but i hope it does. that said, i strongly disagree with your claims that everyone on these forums is constantly pissed off and that people often have to defend themselves. your original post was worded in a way that it sounded like you expected someone else to do the work for you. you have corrected that misunderstanding.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jspacemunkey on 2004-07-21 16:50 ]</font>

Nai_Calus
Jul 21, 2004, 09:26 PM
Well, my thinking with the HUnewearl is that she's a weaker character physically - Her main point is her high MST combined with adequete ATP. Maxing everything but the MST makes for a mediocre melee character... If it comes to maxing stats on a HUnl, I'd want to focus on her main advantages - Hunter ATP, and the 5th best MST in the game to make support with her better and get a bit more out of tactical tech usage.

jspacemunkey
Jul 21, 2004, 09:45 PM
hmmm... well, i have time to rework her before she's done. plenty of mats free and all, plus i'm in the middle of rebuilding her mag for max stats. i approached maxing her out predicated on the assumption that lvl 20 s/d would make up for her low atp, and that i wouldn't need higher than her lvl 200 mst to cast those techs. (she can borrow my FOnewearl's 155 mind mag (and god/minds) to learn higher level techs, so that isn't an issue.) will she encounter difficulty with casting lvl 20 s/d tp wise? or does her lower mst mean those techs won't be as effective? as for other techs, i guess i hadn't really considered them. i mean, i figured i would likely have enough tp to cast them when i wanted to, but i do not have a lot of experience with non-android characters so i may be assuming too much. do you have any advice, ian? am i putting myself in a position where i won't be able to cast very many techs? what stat should i sacrifice to max mind? i should still be able to rearrange my distribution at this point.

Quo
Jul 21, 2004, 09:53 PM
My HUnewearl is a looong way from maxing her stats and she has no problem keeping up with the TP demands of level 20 support techs. I figured MST would be my lacking stat too, since the only techs I cast are Resta, Anti, S/D/J/Z, and Gi/Rabarta for slimes. Since this is the case, I would rather have my DFP and EVP high, since she'll be right in the fray, than my MST. But that's just me.

Nai_Calus
Jul 21, 2004, 10:12 PM
Indeed.

Personally, I find that one can never have enough MST and therefore TP if playing in any sort of support role whatsoever.

Furthermore, the HUnewearl is, at most, a mediocre Hunter. Raising her as a pure Hunter ignores her strengths comepletely and makes for a very blah character.

If you want a powerful tank, why not just make a HUcast? If you want to evade things, why not make a HUcaseal? If you insist on a bit of techs to go with things, why not just make a HUmar, who can take care of himself just fine in my experience?

There really is no reason to make a HUnewearl over any other Hunter stat-wise than her massive MST. Ignoring said MST is just plain blah, and you might as well at that point make a RAmarl, who will get better weapons and can actually be completely maxed.

Quo
Jul 21, 2004, 11:10 PM
If you'll remember Ian, my style is to play by my own strength. This probably comes from playing 3 years of offline multimode, and of course, my own views on life. This makes the HUnewearl the best hunter for me. Resta puts her above both of the androids and her support techs make her stronger than any of the others. Sorry, I'm just not a team player.

iamthehbomb
Jul 22, 2004, 12:50 AM
With regard to the HUnewearl, to what degree do you all think power should be ignored in favor of mst? The math I've done so far suggests its basically one or the other as far as maxing goes. I am lacking units but I'm starting a new mag - and before I get too far into this I want to know your opinion. I was going to make a Bhima with 5/115/60/20. Should I put a bunch of those power points towards mst? I was then goin' to feed it almost all power mats, with a few mst mats. Let me know your opinion. Thanks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: iamthehbomb on 2004-07-21 23:22 ]</font>

Eanae
Jul 22, 2004, 10:10 AM
On 2004-07-21 22:50, iamthehbomb wrote:
With regard to the HUnewearl, to what degree do you all think power should be ignored in favor of mst? The math I've done so far suggests its basically one or the other as far as maxing goes. I am lacking units but I'm starting a new mag - and before I get too far into this I want to know your opinion. I was going to make a Bhima with 5/115/60/20. Should I put a bunch of those power points towards mst? I was then goin' to feed it almost all power mats, with a few mst mats. Let me know your opinion. Thanks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: iamthehbomb on 2004-07-21 23:22 ]</font>

Seeing as she's a hunter, I think that trying to keep the highest atp possible would be good. Hunters should leave the magic to forces (unless you only solo), and concentrate on taking down enemies. I, personally, would probably ignore mst for either dfp, atp, evp, or ata.