PDA

View Full Version : A new theory on rare enemies!

CreepHunter
Jul 25, 2004, 07:42 AM
First I'll explain why I have a new theory. I haven't played PSO for almost a year and a few weeks ago I just started playing again. Since I've picked up PSO I haven't seen any rare enemies untill yesterday. Yesterday I was piping for Pal Rappies in the room with 8 rappies in Fake in Yellow with my lvl 132 Yellowboze Humar. I was getting pal rappies at a rate of about 1 in 50. Sometimes I piped once and got a Pal. Sometimes I piped 10 times, but never more then 10. After my 9th Pal yesterday, I piped almost 100 times and didnt get any Pals. Today I still havent found one.

My theory: If you haven't played PSO in a long time and then just come back, the game trys to account for all the rare enemies you missed.

Sounds funny, and probably unlikely, but to me it looks like thats what happened here...

EDIT: After 55 more pipes (440 rappies) I got a Pal. This ratio seems to agree with the ratio of 1:500 that many people believe. My theory may be true still because of the ratio I had yesterday...

EDIT 2: Another 50 pipes (400 rappies) and another Pal...obviously for some reason I'm not getting Pals as fast as yesterday...makes me sad http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CreepHunter on 2004-07-25 06:05 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CreepHunter on 2004-07-25 06:33 ]</font>

Sef
Jul 25, 2004, 09:00 AM
To be honest, I don't think the game gives a damn whether you've been gone long or not. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

I still say it's luck.

Edit: Sometimes the first enemy I see(without piping) is a Pal/Al Rappy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sef on 2004-07-25 07:02 ]</font>

DragonFang
Jul 25, 2004, 09:53 AM
The game has really no way of knowing that you haven't played for a certain amount of time. It doesn't matter how long you haven't played the game, in the end, it all just accounts to plain luck and that 1/5xx ratio.

Hrith
Jul 25, 2004, 10:01 AM
Except the ratio is more about 1/370, but yeah, it's totally random, TOTALLY.

slavetoguilt
Jul 25, 2004, 10:19 AM
That could be true, and goes for items as well...I didnt play for ever and i just srated again recetently and rares where dropedd all over the place, but steadly the became less frequent.

shingo
Jul 25, 2004, 11:08 AM
well i stoped for along time but i didnt get qny rare weapons or monster so i dont care anymore i just want to lvl up niw so i could be stronger for the ruins in ult.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: shingo on 2004-07-25 09:09 ]</font>

Cc08
Jul 25, 2004, 12:58 PM
Except the ratio is more about 1/370You are probably right, but where are you getting this number? I always thought it was 1/512 because thats what everyone was saying. But I remember someone saying that no one looked at the rare enemy appearance rate when they looked at the files. So is 1/370 the real one or an estimate?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cc08 on 2004-07-25 10:58 ]</font>

Hrith
Jul 25, 2004, 01:21 PM
1/370ish was Sounomi's last estimate before she retired. Good luck talking to her about PSO now http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif
Everyone said it was 1/512, but it never came from the game code.

There was a topic about it at Housoka, but you were not very active there :s (not a reproach http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif).

cHaOsMaZtA
Jul 25, 2004, 02:33 PM
I'm sorry but that theory is a piece of shiznit. The game doesn't "know" if you have been gone for a long time.

Cc08
Jul 25, 2004, 09:35 PM
1/370ish was Sounomi's last estimate before she retired. Good luck talking to her about PSO now
Everyone said it was 1/512, but it never came from the game code. Hmmm, from now on I'm gonna keep track of everything I pipe, and get the average, it'll be interesting to see what it's around. I'm gonna have to do a lot of piping for rares, so this'll work perfectly.
There was a topic about it at Housoka, but you were not very active there :s (not a reproach ).Haha, everyone there was too smart for me... I don't know as much as I don't have online.

Primeval
Jul 26, 2004, 03:32 AM
On 2004-07-25 12:33, cHaOsMaZtA wrote:
I'm sorry but that theory is a piece of shiznit. The game doesn't "know" if you have been gone for a long time.

I agree, the game has no way of "knowing" if you've played or not. (Unlike games such as Animal Crossing) So for all it "knows", you've been playing every minute of every hour of every day.

CreepHunter
Jul 26, 2004, 02:50 PM
On 2004-07-25 12:33, cHaOsMaZtA wrote:

It is possible for the game to tell what date your last save was and compare it to the current date. Therefore the game could tell, atleast, how long since your last save. This leads to changing the gamecubes clock. (Like I'm sure many people do with Animal Crossing)