PDA

View Full Version : Meanings of C-mode Rankings?

digigram
Jul 25, 2004, 05:25 PM
I'm sure there is a simple translation for these.. I haven't found anything on the site relating to the possible translations of, say, Ra-Gou or Bu-Zan etc.

So if anyone knows... fill us in. it seems like Kanji but I haven't tried to learn japanese in about 4 years.

Tycho
Jul 26, 2004, 12:01 AM
I tried to search English - Japanese, assuming they were military ranks. They're not, now I'm not so sure anymore if there are translations for them.

rena-ko
Jul 26, 2004, 02:33 PM
seeing the sillables are ordered less as words and more like numbers... prolly nothing...

i remember a lil chat about this issue a couple o years ago with a native friend. we came to the conclusion, that it doesnt make sense - esp if you dont know what kanji it stands for.
and seeing that ST uses indian names for mags, starnames for serverships etc etc pp it could be also chinese instead of japanese...

Sharkyland
Jul 26, 2004, 07:31 PM
I've always been wondering about it too.

SLON
Jul 27, 2004, 07:08 AM
The endings are Gou, Zan and Ei. Then Bu, Gi and Ra prefix them (yes, you all know that already, I'm getting to my point). Now, there is also Gi Foie and Ra Foie / Gi Zonde and Ra Zonde etc. If Ra is more powerful than Gi (in techs), how come Ra Gou / Ra Zan comes before Gi Gou / Gi Zan in Challenge?
Doesn't make much sense.

digigram
Jul 27, 2004, 07:59 PM
Well I thought Foie, and I say it as if it were french... the funny thing is.. Foie in french means LIVER.

I'm researching simple kanji according to specific suffix' and prefix.

such as . Bu Zan

BU = has 2 meanings one is dance but is used unlike the second one.. which is "military"
ZAN = Ruthless

Or..

gi gou = strong skill. I could be totally wrong but i'm reading directly from many translations of basics...

It seems that I cannot find a translation for "Ra."

Just found that the most basic kanji for Ei means eternal.

so. eternal military? .. lol .. HAHAHA/. i'm probably totally wrong.. but it was fun to try..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: digigram on 2004-07-27 18:04 ]</font>

rena-ko
Jul 29, 2004, 09:15 AM
a lil off topic here but...
foie as well as ryuker come from the german words feuer (fire, spoken [foi'er])
rueckkehr (return, spoken [ruekk'ker]*)

*ue = umlaut u (with dots)

back on topic..
someone fond with chinese as well?

Hrith
Jul 29, 2004, 10:45 AM
For Chinese, we should ask the navinator :|

I think one of them means "I have the knack", cannot remember which =/

Sitka
Jul 29, 2004, 11:06 AM
With a little help from some friends:

Bu-EI = protection-warrior or sharp-samurai.

Gi-Zan = skilled-killer

Ra-Gou = strong-hunter(?)

Those are not exact and multiple combinations are possible, but that gives you a flavor of what those appellations indicate.

So, my Bu-EI++ is one wicked warrior-protector.

At least that is one possible interpretation.