PDA

View Full Version : Word Select

SLON
Jul 26, 2004, 06:54 AM
When I finished one of the Challenge stages, I selected 'Congratulations>Everybody' , to which a Japanese player replied 'Nope, sorry'. I've had this reply before. I presume there is a different meaning in the Japanese Word Select (or I was being flamed!) Can anyone draw light on this?

Capricornus
Jul 26, 2004, 07:17 AM
On 2004-07-26 04:54, SLON wrote:
When I finished one of the Challenge stages, I selected 'Congratulations>Everybody' , to which a Japanese player replied 'Nope, sorry'. I've had this reply before. I presume there is a different meaning in the Japanese Word Select (or I was being flamed!) Can anyone draw light on this?

The only thing I can think of is that either it wasnt a fun-smooth run, or either he didnt improve his time for that particular stage.

Never happened to me though. The usual quotes with JP players after finishing a stage are: 'nice playing with you', 'thank you' (quote that the one hosting the game says) or 'see you later'

rena-ko
Jul 28, 2004, 03:04 PM
yeah, sounds like the others didnt improve the times.

dont use 'congrats' unless you know they acchieved something as well.

if only you had some benefit from this run, i'd suggest to say 'thanks for your help', before you do the usual 'see you later' etc and leave the game.

FOmasta89
Jul 28, 2004, 03:12 PM
He may have put it up on accident. You never know

SLON
Aug 2, 2004, 07:25 AM
Ok, Rena-ko, thanks for your advice (as usual)! I've stopped saying Congratulations now.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SLON on 2004-08-02 05:26 ]</font>

Tycho
Aug 5, 2004, 11:16 PM
On 2004-07-28 13:12, FOmasta89 wrote:
He may have put it up on accident. You never know

Probably not; No and Sorry are different in wordselect, you can't say them at the same time.

SLON
Aug 6, 2004, 07:16 AM
I've noticed loads of people saying 'Congratulations' now, so it's not just me! There are 2 suggested responses to this on Word Select, and one of them is 'Nope, sorry'. How wierd.

Tycho
Aug 7, 2004, 04:24 AM
You see, they're bad translations; you don't say such a thing in English. PSO wasn't meant for non-Japanese people <_<;, if you check all their events you'd see..