PDA

View Full Version : Freaking Band Camp

InfinityXXX
Jul 30, 2004, 08:38 PM
In 2 more weeks i will be going to my beloved band camp. I don't want to go but I have no choice. You see I hate my band because its an embarrasment to any school subject created. I also hate band camp because i will be worked for 8 hours in the 100 degree weather, marching around like an idiot. But here is why I HATE my high school band.

1. My band mates are dumb geeky and have no life what so ever. All they talk about is yu gi whoe and anime and games, which is cool but they talk about it ALL the time!!!!! Not only that but they actually bring their dumb Magic cards and yu gi oh cards to school and play them all over the band room floor. The other thing that makes me hate them is that they try to speak ebonics. I have no promblem with people who do that, that are raised in the enviroments where ebonics are used a lot but ALL of the kids in the BAND come from the rich neigborhoods and they use the ebonics as a joke. The reason why i hate this is that they think they can use the "N" word which is very offensive to me and i can't even count on my fingers and toes how many of these dorks i punched in the face and suspended for using that word.

2. Are pom and flag squad cannot dance. They suck. It seems they get lessons from watching a Barney dance video. Yuna from Final Fantasy X-2 can dance better than these girls. But they walk around the school with a Beyonce attitude. Its so bad that at our last pep rally the audienced booed them off. My mom has got to the point that she doesn't want to go to our football games just so that she can't look at the flags and poms dance. I asked one of the flag girls that do they ever think of new dance routines and she caught an attitude with me. The problem is,is that they need a new coach. The coach they have lets them play around at football games and eat hotdogs while they suppose to be dancing, its embarassing and our high school gets laughed at because of them. Did i mention that the cheerleaders our just as bad.

I'm not trying to be mean to any fat people but i'm tellin the truth. Our flag,pom, and cherleader squad consists of all 200+ pound girls. This is not how it shold be because they can barely fit in the uniforms and the cheerleaders and pom and flag are suppose to be some of the sexiest girls in the school but i'm not attracted to any of them. Fat is some of the promblems but its the way they carry themselves too. They do one cheer or dance and they fall down because their tired.

3. We have the dumbest, most boring band director on earth. He looks like he got beat up on when he was little and he looks tired and lazy. Also his taste in which type of music to play at certain times suck. My school consists mostly of minorities and all of us either like rap, R&B , pop, alternative rock, etc. When kis go to the football games they expect to hear some of the newest, hotest songs that are out. This band director who lives in the 1700's and in the 1950's does not realize this. At foot ball games he has us playing Bethoven symphany #9, ode to joy, and the beetles greatest hits. Our football team's opposers band is playing 50 cent and their audience is dancing and we're playing ode to joy and our crowd is dancing to the other sides music. This is embarrasing.
Bethoven is a great musician and still should be respected but he is not what you see on the teen choice awards, mtv awards, and bet awards.

4. When i decided to join band in my freshman year at high school I choose to only join the Jazz band but when the year started i was dragged into marching band due to my dumb counselor. I asked her why and she said "Oh, i thought you liked marching band". I don't even know my counselor and she doesn't know me so how is she suppose to know what i like. I wanted to get out but she threatened me by saying that i'll have to take physical education(P.E) in order to graduate if i quit marching band. It was either deal with the bumbling idiots or get butt rapped while taking a shower. I'm not comfortable being naked with a bunch of senior guys so I think being with the bumbling idiots was a much better choice.

My girlfreind knows what i have to go through with this band so she threw away her dignity and joined the band this year just so she comfort me and i can actually have someone to talk to. I'm so happy she did this. But, i only have this year and i'll have all my p.e credits required to graduate and i'll be able to quit the band next year. Yaay.

Ness
Jul 30, 2004, 08:40 PM
*Is glad that he dropped out of band two years ago*

KaFKa
Jul 30, 2004, 08:47 PM
*is glad he never took band*

seriously, im sorry that everyone in your band are idiots.

a little advice: get "sick" the days before, during, and after any band performance. then act like youre really sorry about it. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Link00seven
Jul 30, 2004, 08:51 PM
I really like my band O_O.

The kids are awesome, the director is awesome, even though the school sucks. The band is the best part of the school.

EDIT: Yeah I said kids around here suck, well, the band kids are about the only exception. Minus a few boneheads o_O

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Link00seven on 2004-07-30 18:53 ]</font>

opaopajr
Jul 31, 2004, 10:36 PM
my band experience wasn't as bad. wasn't spectacular, but wasn't that bad. maybe it's because i didn't care about marching band or football and our band and color guard was quite good.

maybe you should stop caring so much about the performance and just enjoy the comedy of errors. and switch to jazz ASAP (don't listen to most counselors, too many of them don't care).

and yes, many band members are geeky, that's why i could never really isolate myself to the band clique. i felt so... out of place. but some are nice people, so pick and choose people you enjoy being around and chill.

and i wouldn't put up with insulting people around me. i don't dig the violence (which might be why they keep using the word around your presence - to get you all worked up), but they are out of line to have no decency. people who you shouldn't waste your time with.

Solstis
Jul 31, 2004, 10:44 PM
Ah... the band faction.

My school had/has these factions:

Band
Journalism
FBLA (yes, we were that powerful... hhahah!)
Drama

.... actually, now that I think about it, naerly every sports team and club had it's own "thing." Hm.

I play the piano (or did), but never toook part in band.

Sorry for the suckage.

Sayara
Jul 31, 2004, 10:46 PM
I assume Band Camp is required for all band members correct?

I heard about these sort of things. And i was in the Voluntary one at my school.
It wasn't much fun but we did do some fun stuff too.

And for your music ranting. Sometimes it has to be the old classics to get the crowds happy. Well not Beethoven persay but things of the 60's and 70's do wonders.

Guile
Aug 1, 2004, 06:10 PM
Damn that sounds like it sucks...a lot. Glad I never joined band.

Zarode
Aug 1, 2004, 06:38 PM
The reason I quit band last year (my 9th grade year) is because of ga-hey band anything. I don't do marching band...concert, si, marching with a clary...why don't I just snap my reed in half before I start...

And those wool suits. X.x Gah, Wool is meant for winter, or something. I feel bad for my friend in band camp, wearing that clown suit in 100+ degree weather. (not including the heat index, with it, I say about 120+?)

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif This isn't tv land, mister. No cheerleader is gonna be hot anymore. At least my school gets off easy by having the best in the distreck (sp? bah, I'm tired) and being thin. :< I feel so bad for you. I hope you get through this with a sane mind about dorks. XP

Brahm
Aug 1, 2004, 09:34 PM
Im glad i quit band(middle of 7th grade) because of 1. a really crappy instructer. 2.) My boring retarded intstrument(baritone horn) and 3. Morons in our class

Scales_of_Air
Aug 1, 2004, 09:45 PM
I enjoyed my first year of high school band, and I will enjoy my 3 years to come. Unlike you, I had the "true classical" band experience and my two directors are awesome: very skilled, and very kind and understanding as well as motivating.

Even if it's true, you shouldn't stereotype the whole REST of your band. I am not a fan of Magic or Yu Gi Oh but I don't persecute those who are. A friend of mine, a flutist with whom I performed a duet on my clarinet, plays the Magic game. I don't take part in it, but he's still a nice person and I respect him. A group of guys came over to the lunch table once when he was playing cards with another of his friends, and they started blowing air at their card layout and being total shits. If I had to choose, I'd keep my friend who likes the game, not the people acting rudely who do not. This was not to be subjective, but not all card-players are geeks you know.

If people can't appreciate classical music performed by a classical band, that's their own problem. I suppose I can't expect some of the football crowd to enjoy the music, but moving for me was like stepping into another incredible dimension and I might even find myself enjoying the football performances this coming year. I just like to perform anyway ^_^

I'm looking forward to my musical experiences in high school. I take lessons privately, and I find that Music, in addition to my other interstests, are a great escape from the epitome of American culture that I so intensly despise. I wish band was better for you, as it was and is for me. Audition for your home's All-County Band, or even All-State if you're feeling greatly ambitious, and you'll hopefully meat a decent amount true musicians and have a good band experience. Hopefully. ^_^

Ness
Aug 1, 2004, 09:52 PM
Hey Scales, I think you are being a little oversensitive about this.

Scales_of_Air
Aug 1, 2004, 09:55 PM
On 2004-08-01 19:52, Ness wrote:
Hey Scales, I think you are being a little oversensitive about this.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif I honestly apologize if I gave that impression. Just stating the not-so-clear opposite of what was posted. ^_^

Ness
Aug 1, 2004, 09:58 PM
Most of us knew that not a band members were band geeks. Most of us here were jsut stating our happiness with dropping out.

Scales_of_Air
Aug 1, 2004, 10:03 PM
On 2004-08-01 19:58, Ness wrote:
Most of us knew that not a band members were band geeks. Most of us here were jsut stating our happiness with dropping out.

*nods* Indeed, I've definately seen the good PSO crowd enough to know that the posters here aren't settled on a stereotype. As you said, people are stating their happiness with dropping out, I wanted to counter that with at least one positive band experience. ^_^

EDIT: Well, with the exception of Linkooseven http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Scales_of_Air on 2004-08-01 20:05 ]</font>

InfinityXXX
Aug 1, 2004, 11:17 PM
I think the only reason i am still in band is because of my love for music and because of my love of music, it keeps me from not going insane from the racial comments and yugiohness. I don't hate people who play yu gi oh (I use to play it until my mom threw away my cards by mistake) but i just wish i can hold a conversation with my band mates with out having it going towards an anime or card game. I auditioned for my all city jazz band and i made 3rd chair out of 10 chairs and when i was there i met some of the most talented and skilled musicians ever. I was so happy and i think that experience spoiled me because after the all city performance i was stuck again with my band peers and there lack in skill and talent of music. Some of them are just taking the class for an easy "A".

I like some of the 70's, 80's music (The Styx is my favorite band from that period. Come Sail away and The best of times are my favorite songs they did) but i think that when we do marching band we act as entertainers and we must entertain our crowd and team mates to keep them pumped up so we must play what they like. I think we should play songs like ode to joy for concert band.

I know that all cheerleaders aren't suppose to be so called perfect but I'm dead serious, all our cheerleaders are in the 200 pound area and they all look alike and they barely cheer. I wouldn't be surprise that are whole cheerleader squad are related to each other, the resemblence of each cheerleader towards each other is astonishing. Even the coach is big, i seriously think she rigged the try outs. My ultimate dream is to be a jazz performer or a music producer and next year i WILL join jazz band no matter what that stupid counselor has to say.

Scales_of_Air
Aug 1, 2004, 11:41 PM
Awesome! You should have said all that earlier! Styx (in my opinion) is indeed a great band! In fact, until you mentioned them, I forgot about my parents' huge record selection which includes Styx albums. Congrats on the Jazz ensemble, and keep up the ambition. ^_^ Whoo!

Rainbowlemon
Aug 2, 2004, 12:31 PM
*Is glad he doesn't live in America*

Aredhel
Aug 2, 2004, 05:41 PM
^ http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

If you don't go to band camp you can never say 'one time at band camp' while being honest... it *may* ruin the joke http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif