PDA

View Full Version : Helpful Tips For Building Better Decks.

Dr_Tokugawa
Jul 31, 2004, 10:16 PM
I thought this would be a good thread to make, as some players of Episode 3 don't seem to like it too much. Quite a few of those people, when asked, say "I'm not good at it". It is very true, as the difference in skill level needed to be good online is much greater here than in Episode 1&2. Therefore, I welcome all posters in this thread to please offer their strategies and any other helpful suggestions. Any other comments are welcome, but please keep it on topic. I also hope that players of any skill level will read this and find some tips for themselves.

The best way I can do this is to take an example of one of my decks from each side and show the construction of it, and then break it down so you can see what it includes.

I'll start with a HS deck.

Kranz - Slicers

Items

2x Flight Cutter
2x Red Slicer
3x Slicer Of Assassin
3x Soul Barrier

Action Cards

3x HP Attack
3x Heavy Attack
2x Attack = 6
1x KO
3x Wall
2x Resist
2x Protection
3x Aegis Guard
1x Counter

Now this is a really simple deck, and it works. Explaining this, I wanted to go with a 4/2/2 setup, meaning using a 4-point item with 2 items worth 2 points. If you keep with a formula like this, it will make a card easy to replace if it gets destroyed. Otherwise, you might find yourself taking hits just to lose an item so you can put something big out. I'd rather just keep things simple. Also, with keeping the cost relatively low, I won't need Assist cards to boost my Dice, such as Dice +1. I don't really need it, so why give my opponent the dice bonus, which he may need?

I decided to take advantage of Kranz's Fixed Range ability, and many of you have probably guessed that, yes, this is a team deck. Here's the synopsis:

With this deck, I decided to use the slicers with higher HP's and take advantage of HP Attack, since these weapons will be defended by my Soul Barrier. Also, using Attack = 6 can help not only Slicer Of Assassin, which takes full advantage of Minor Death, but it can boost the other slicers by a point of damage or two, which can help out.

Also, I decided to use Heavy Attack, instead of Split Boost. I see a lot of people who use SB, and because of SB's unpredictability, I prefer to use Heavy Attack to guarantee myself 5 extra damage. Some people will say that it's better to use Dice +1's, as you can possibly achieve 7's or 8's and really get a maximum effect, but then you are using up more card space which could be devoted to other things, like Defense. I'd rather know what kind of damage I'm dealing, so I can focus my attacks better. I also threw in a KO, as Hold is undoubtedly the strongest effect in the game, especially if you hit the SC with it. It disables them from moving, attacking, or defending. But you only really need one or two. No sense in having it too often, you might find drawing it instead of a key defense card.

As for my Defense picks, I kept almost all my defense cards Ally OK, as this is a team deck. That way, I can support my teammate, as well as save myself. Wall, Resist and Protection speak for themselves.

Aegis Guard can really be the substitute. I have those in there to counter Megid, Soul Eater, Harisen and other cards it can defend against. But sometimes I will switch it up. I'll put Weakness or Punch Guard to protect against Rampage, or some other card, but it's really to battle whatever you could see as a threat to your deck.

Counter was something I threw in as a fun card, but I don't recommend relying on it in a life-or-death situation. LOL

Also, in some cases, I'll substitute some cards for Assist Vanish. Since I don't rely on Assists all that much, why not take everything out. In some games, you can screw someone's strategy really well just by taking out the assists they rely on.

Now that's some suggestions. Obviously this won't be the killer deck that will get you God rank in 3 days, but hopefully this will help those who need it. I'll post later on with another deck to give some more tips.

Nisshoku
Aug 2, 2004, 08:35 AM
Also, tune in the next couple of days, as I'll hopefully have up some interesting theme decks that actually can work quite well for you. Either way, keep looking for updates here!

Jazhara
Aug 4, 2004, 04:53 AM
On 2004-07-31 20:16, Dr_Tokugawa wrote:

Kranz - Slicers

Items

2x Flight Cutter
2x Red Slicer
3x Slicer Of Assassin
3x Soul Barrier

Action Cards

3x HP Attack
3x Heavy Attack
2x Attack = 6
1x KO
3x Wall
2x Resist
2x Protection
3x Aegis Guard
1x Counter

A noble thread, but unless I'm missing the point that deck is flawed? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

You only have slicers in there, if something's directly in front of you you won't be able to hit it, therefore if you are surrounded by 4 creatures (e.g. 1-pointers) you will never be able to move, or hit, and will therefore struggle to win...

phoenixphire
Aug 4, 2004, 07:40 AM
It's not like hunter decks have much of a chance vs. spam decks.

Zebulan7
Aug 4, 2004, 08:39 AM
At least with that deck, you would be surprised what you can do, you just need to anticipate the spam.

Nisshoku
Aug 4, 2004, 11:04 AM
Well as promised, here's my first somewhat-decent theme deck. And now, I present to you...

PSO Arkz Theme Deck -- Shock the Monkey

-- Creatures
Ul Gibbon x2
Zol Gibbon x2
Hildebear x2
Gibbles x1
-- Action
Zonde x3
Gizonde x2
Razonde x3
Concentration x3
Resist x2
Wall x2
NA Attack x3
-- Assist
Dice +1 x2
Tech Field x1
Forest Rain x1
Giant Garden x1

What inspired me to make this deck, was the song of the same name done by Peter Gabriel.

I tired to make this Nature Deck up with some good TP creatures, as well as hadding some heavy hitting creatures in it as well. I haven't tested it mostly, but other than the somewhat high cost of some of the creatures, I think this could still be rather effective. Input's greatly appreciated, though.

phoenixphire
Aug 4, 2004, 03:53 PM
Legacy?

agenevil
Aug 4, 2004, 09:56 PM
Since most kamikaze decks consist of c bringer and bulks, pal sharks, rio, and berserk, I figured I would release a nice alternative.

I will take the way of Shimarisu and not release the actual decks, but a guideline instead.

(Character: Rio) (Deck Name: Sink With Me)
Creatures:
St Rappy x3
Canabin x3

Then add other nice creatures you may like.

Actions:
Add some strengthen uppers if you want, but DEf is more important here...
DEF You must have!
Bequeath
Decline
Survival (this is so necessary its not even funny)
And Together, if you are using other creatures... I just use the 6 though.
Add other DEF you feel may help.

Assist:
If you want, add march of the meek, etc. Add homesick or card return, to get your rappies back.

Strategy. The whole point of this is tokeep your opponents field characters dying on the turn they attack, and of course, there are decisions like if they are going to do 11 damage to your rappy, use bequeath so you get 19 or 20 exp along with the death of your opponents item. OF course rio will get stronger, but try to keep her back...
Eventually, after about 2 rappy deaths, ifyou set rolls to 2 minimum, especially in a 1 on 1, your dice wil rocket up. You can then take advantage of the rappies move range.

If anything wasnt too clear, im sure you will decipher it.... great deck, really. Havent lost a human battle with it, unless I was fighting with a total idiot. I never end up taking damage.

er and i hope i didnt unleash another annoying deck on you all lol

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: agenevil on 2004-08-04 20:00 ]</font>

phoenixphire
Aug 4, 2004, 10:17 PM
Dubchiches. 3 of them. I made a similar deck, only using St. Rappies, Sinow Blues, and Hildeblues, and Dubchiches are so important it's not funny. If you're gonna kill your creatures, you'll be open. Don't wanna be open.

agenevil
Aug 4, 2004, 10:24 PM
Hmmm once I get a uSb mem card, I can get Immortality. IF you have it though, could you test Creinu+Dubchich+Immortalities? Assuming since Creinus effect was in play first, the dubchiches will regenerate... but if the assist dies before any other thing, it would be poitnless. So test this please!

Zebulan7
Aug 5, 2004, 09:42 AM
I'm gonna try one, which will be hard cause I don't have my decks memorized. I'll just list things to include, not neccessarily numbers.

Deck: In a Tizzy
Character: Hyze

Theme: Techs with a bot, woa boy. Then nice AP to help on the way. Believe me, people don't expect a tech deck with humanoids.

Creatures
Morphos
Del-D
Arlan
Canade
Sinow Red
Evil Shark
Hildebear
Hildeblue

Action
Heavy Atk
Stab
Spirit Boost
Mighty Knuckle
Punch
Technique
Rabarta
Zonde
Gizonde
some Foie
Reduction
Survivor
Half Defence
TPdef
etc. etc.

Thats 22 cards there if you have one of each. Those are just what I suggest, as it works for me. I use only high Bartas cause of their easy freeze. I use just zonde because of its good range, and GIzonde just incase there is a good oppurtunity. Foie is there just if someone wants a RAfoie (even though I don't suggest it as none of these creatures have good enough tp to make it really worth your while). I included one Tech just if Hyze needs to def himself in that way, or if you want to boost your tech attacks by one. Plunty of Atk AC to keep balanced though. Hyze has good hp too and ATK.

phoenixphire
Aug 5, 2004, 04:53 PM
Why not use Chaos Sorcerer and Deldepth instead of Hildeblue and Hildebear?

Dr_Tokugawa
Aug 5, 2004, 11:42 PM
*wakes up and sees coffee*

As was mentioned, this was a team deck. Now, usually, this is how a HU team / HU team battle takes place.

Let's say my ally is in #5, and he has 2 hunter enemies in #2 and #4, which is what most people will do, unless their equipment allows them to do otherwise. Then I would slip into #6 or #8 and hit both. Then, if they decide to avoid lining up for me, it would screw with their strategy. Trust me, this deck is battle-tested.

The only way I'm totally screwed is if I'm stupid enough to stay in a corner and let myself get surrounded. As for creatures, I have a partner. If someone decides to trap me in, I can simply ask for a hit from my partner to help me out. Normally you don't see creature spam in team decks, unless it's Machine x2, and then sure, I'm screwed.

And don't say it's horribly flawed. It works for me, in fact very well. Just because it uses Slicers doesn't mean it's bad. It's called differing from the norm.

And keep posting up ideas. I'm sure there are more than a few people benefiting from this thread. Tomorrow, when I'm more awake, I'll post something else.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dr_Tokugawa on 2004-08-05 21:44 ]</font>

Zebulan7
Aug 7, 2004, 02:53 PM
Why not use Chaos Sorcerer and Deldepth instead of Hildeblue and Hildebear?

I use those for good AP and such. This way I could have one Hildebear and Del-D or whatever. Chaos would rely almost intirly on techs, which there isn't much of. I use only low cost tech enabled creatures as a back up for my higher costing high AP monsters. Its stuff like that, but these are only my suggestions.

RedSchwar
Aug 19, 2004, 01:00 PM
There is no way to build a better deck once you have the basics of this game down. If you compensate for some problem you're having, you'll open yourself up to some other problem. Trying to do too much thins you out. It's just mostly dice and whoever picked the deck that happens to be stronger against the other (not necessarily better, but like rock/paper/scissors)