PDA

View Full Version : So, it's decided, i'm moving.

digigram
Aug 2, 2004, 06:11 PM
Well, i'm finally calm, sort of. My wife and I have been struggling as of late and have been trying to figure out what we needed to do in order to stay where we are (san diego) or move.

And it turns out, we're fucked in san diego... so.

We're moving....... We're moving to NW florida area, like Santa rosa county in general I believe. Anyone from the Florida area or even possibly NW florida? Whats it like, what should I expect. I seriously hope I am not going to be plagued with hicks a'bucketfull.

I hate moving. I have moved around 28-29 times in my life and have lived all over. This all started when I was about 5 yrs old. place to place to place and so on, parent splits, parent neo-marriage, then again to moving place to place to place and so on.

I don't even remember where I'm from anymore. So, yeah, I despise moving, because it always causes this unrest in my soul making me seriously want to stop living.

The ONLY good thing that'll stay with me, is that I can work from anywhere as long as I still have my audio gear. So, people call up or email, tell me they need _______ and I make it in about 10 minutes, collect that months rent. but it is so unpredictable that I couldn't possibly feel comfortable staying where I am now (San diego). We live in a shit-hole, crappy people in our neighborhood, landlords seriously suck it. We told the a year ago that we needed a tree trimmed in the backyard because it was literally Stretching the power line from the house to house pole in our back alley, they said,"whoa, didn't notice that, will have that chopped off in a week", a year later and I can still here the tree going Errrrrrrrrrrr-Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-Errrrrrrrrrrr.

hmph. Severe ant problems, shitty house, no slant roof, no insulation, no air conditioning, no washer and dryer, a gardener that they pay that actually doesn't even touch ANY of our shit and actually last weekend REFUSED to mow our backyards grass.

All for a nice 1000 a month. the carpet the put in here is like 10 cents per Sq ft, but they charged us as if we were going to damage something when we moved in...

Rent back then was 950, deposit was 1000. we move in, toilet is fucked up, hot water pipes make god awful destruction sounds, ant trails an inch thick, burning hot fucking summers with a 50 year old aluminum and steel furnace that actually heats up the walls to untouchable temps..

I hate this place. I hate San Diego now as well..

Anyone move a lot? Hate moving? From Florida?

I'd really appreciate some feedback, especially from those of you who don't live with your parents.

rbf2000
Aug 2, 2004, 06:39 PM
If you can work from anywhere why not move somewhere where the cost of living is dirt cheap, like in the middle of oklahoma or something.

I generally think of FL as being somewhat expensive to live in, but differant parts obviously have differant costs.

Plus, the east coast is really humid, everybody that I've known to come from the west to the east complains about that above all else.

digigram
Aug 2, 2004, 06:45 PM
we'd be living off the gulf coast, statistically (which sounds totally fucking wrong), San Diego and Pensacola share relatively the same humidity year round (pretty much dry).

I'll complain about scorpions and gators more than the weather. lol. btw, nice avatar, it's a funny picture of him.

Midnight
Aug 2, 2004, 06:54 PM
me and my family go to northwest florida at least once a year for vacation, panama city beach...

its a pretty nice area, i recommend

googles
Aug 2, 2004, 06:57 PM
I live south florida in boca raton.. No hicks here but alot of old people. When i was like 5 I also moved from cali to florida.

Myopathy
Aug 2, 2004, 07:00 PM
Like rbf, I was wondering why you decided Florida? I've also always thought the standard of living in FL was relatively high compared to its neighboring states.

digigram
Aug 2, 2004, 07:00 PM
We'd be living near panama city/PA-beach. like 20-30 miles from it... so i'm glad to hear that it is enjoyable. seeing as I have no other choice.. lol

digigram
Aug 2, 2004, 07:15 PM
here is the comparison..

average studio/1 bed apartment in San diego, 4 digits.
Average studio/1bedroom apartment in panama city beach and santa rosa county, 300-500 a month.

San diego = 1000 plus 1000 deposit (that is for a total shit hole)

NW florida = 400 a month with 100 deposity and pet security deposit of 100 for huge 1 BD (800-1000 sq ft)

which is bigger than my current place.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: digigram on 2004-08-02 17:19 ]</font>

Aredhel
Aug 2, 2004, 07:21 PM
I live in south Florida right now and my mother lives in Tampa - she'll be moving to Panama City in just a few weeks and by all reports, the area is very nice with a very reasonable price for living. Sounds pretty good to me - sorry I don't have any hard numbers for you http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

digigram
Aug 2, 2004, 07:33 PM
no no.. don't need numbers...

a: Rent.com lies (Real estate firms overprice)
b: apartments.com (see above)

So i'm mainly going out there expecting to pay probably less than what is listed in mainstream listings... which is going to be good, considering that rent.com is overpriced.

Zebulan7
Aug 2, 2004, 07:49 PM
Florida is nice. South FL is completly different from North FL. For one, more retierees in the South, and a larger Latin population count.

I live in N Central FL, which is different. Living near the beach can be costy, considering Hurricanes and such. Oh, and for those who were wondering, its more expensive to live in the North of the US than in the South of the US.

Humid: Check
Rainy: Check
Windy: Check
Stupid Voters: In the South

The Panhandle (which is where Pensacola is) is pretty distant from FL's big attractions: AKA Orlando, Daytona, Tampa, Miami... etc. You won't have to worry as much about Alligators up north as in the Central part of FL.

I suggest you look around your soon to be living area in person looking for a good Apt. instead of depending on the web. Seeing things in person is great, and there are many apt that are probably not mentioned on the web. Apts in FL also like to do random promotions, like throw in some furniture, or even an XBOX(weird, I know). Many Apts here have various things avaliable, like pools, heath centers, clubs, etc.

Anyways, if you are moving down here, I officially welcome you to the Sex organ of the United States!

digigram
Aug 2, 2004, 08:01 PM
That's what I planned on doing.. I never trust numbers from R-E firms.. I would rather go out in person and find a place, mainly because I know what it'll look like and usually can find cheaper deals.

I take it you're republican? (the sig)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: digigram on 2004-08-02 18:01 ]</font>

Solstis
Aug 2, 2004, 10:25 PM
Florida is an odd place, but fun to live in (say, compared to the midwest).

Just don't yell the first time you see bugs the size of your fist (well, not too sure about the panhandle's creatures), and alligators are rarely a concern.

I've heard that there are a few rough areas in NW Florida, but then again, doesn't every area?

Zebulan7
Aug 3, 2004, 12:08 PM
The bugs the size of your fist are around the Everglades, but swarms of Mosquitos(sp?) still exist anywhere. I'm sure you won't have too many problems with that sort of thing anyways (animal disturbances).

Yes.

Aredhel
Aug 3, 2004, 12:59 PM
You really don't have to worry about mosquitos in Florida for 8 months out of the year... Of course, when all the mosquitos go away something WAY, WAY worse invades Florida...

elderly mother-fuckers who can't drive worth a pinto, much less the fucking Cadillacs they own!!!

On 2004-08-02 17:49, Zebulan7 wrote:

Anyways, if you are moving down here, I officially welcome you to the Sex organ of the United States!

HOLY SHIT - WHAT DOES THAT MAKE CUBA?!?! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

digigram
Aug 3, 2004, 03:03 PM
things I'm not worried about.

weather
insects
gators
rain (i'm somewhat from seattle so rain doesn't bug me)
blablabla. oh and tourists.

What i am worried about..

That it'll suck.
No people my age into the same shit that aren't complete jackasses.
Everyone listens to ska.
I'll be surrounded by old men calling me fag while I pump gas into my car.
I'll be surrounded by old men pointing racoon hunting rifles at me. while pumping gas. lol
economy sucks (due to crap jobs and crap employers that give decent jobs to crap & unqualified friends).

WHOOO!

navci
Aug 3, 2004, 03:39 PM
I am just done moving.
I hate moving.
My joints hurt.
Actually, everywhere on my body hurts. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I feel your pain.

Midnight
Aug 3, 2004, 03:44 PM
On 2004-08-03 13:03, digigram wrote:

That it'll suck.
Everyone listens to ska.
I'll be surrounded by old men pointing racoon hunting rifles at me. while pumping gas. lol
economy sucks (due to crap jobs and crap employers that give decent jobs to crap & unqualified friends).

WHOOO!

actually, i really dont see many old people in the PCB area...or rifles...or ska...but i didnt really look for ska...

Aredhel
Aug 5, 2004, 10:21 AM
Hey - Florida has no state income tax to pay!

Yee!

InfernoNR7
Aug 5, 2004, 12:10 PM
I have moved a lot for my rather short lifespan..... I lived in San Diego for 4 years, I loved it, we had little or no bugs, the summers weren't that bad, my house was pretty nice (and my parents want to shoot themselves for not buying it, instead of renting), I liked it, obviously, you had a very bad experiance there, and I am sorry. *thinks*wow, my punctuation sucks*/thinking* I have been to Florida, but I don't think I've been to the NW area. I know that when I went it was a lot like San Diego, but even hotter and more southern accents than SD.

Well, that's my deal, I hate moving as well.

Zebulan7
Aug 7, 2004, 02:45 PM

That it'll suck.
Everyone listens to ska.

Theres not that much of any of that unless your in south Florida (especially in Marion county). I can imagine hunting is much bigger in the outscirts of any city, than inside. Oh, and the economy isn't that bad, it just seems to be sometimes http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif.

Kent
Aug 8, 2004, 09:18 AM
Well, if nothing else, for your own sake, please do not move to Mississippi, especially if you plan on raising children.

DeathCheese87
Aug 8, 2004, 09:28 AM
On 2004-08-03 13:03, digigram wrote:

Everyone listens to ska.

WHOOO!

Hahahahaha, this made my day. Thanks.