PDA

View Full Version : Comedy. Tragedy. Life.

dude3282
Aug 3, 2004, 04:17 AM
Fair warning: it's late, and I may write some insanely strange stuff. But right now, my life is strange, so I guess I'll share it.

I just returned from an emotional family vacation. It was supposed to be a happy one; we were going to see some extended family that we hadn't seen in a while. Problem: between home and our destination was a sixteen-hour drive to Grandma's house, followed by six hours to a family reunion on my Mom's side, and a fifteen-hour return. All this in a tightly packed minivan, and our first trip since the arrival of my baby brother. So, it was interesting dealing with a screaming baby on the way up. However, while at Grandma's, Dad gets another one of his killer migraines. It gets really bad this time, bad enough to where he goes to the hospital. They did a CAT scan and a spinal tap, both came back normal. So Dad came home, still feeling rather crappy, but we had to drive down to our reunion. Mom had to do it by herself (and she gave me plenty of grief for not having my license yet, trust me), so we ended up taking a wrong turn and we had to make our way through the backroads of Iowa. Lots of cornfields. Lots of bug guts splattered on the windshield.

We got to the reunion okay, and it was loads of fun. I got to hang with some cool relatives, play outside and get sunburned, chill out and talk with friends that happen to live hundreds of miles away. But Dad still couldn't get around much, so he spent most of it lying down in the hotel room. Since Dad knew he couldn't drive much, if at all, we decided to stretch out the return trip over two days (Dad had done the first sixteen hours all at once, and all by himself). That worked out well, less time per day being screamed at by my baby brother is a good thing, and we found a clean Super 8 somewhere in Kentucky to stay at.

Next day, we keep driving and about three hours from home we smell something weird and pull over. Turns out our transmission's fried and leaking fluid everywhere. So, we were stranded at Wendy's for an hour waiting for a mechanic to show up, then we had to drive with the scary-looking old guy out to the garage in Pigeon Forge, 16 miles away IIRC. At the garage, they let us rent a van to get us home while they fixed our car, so we unloaded everything and reloaded it into this monstrous ugly thing. Fifteen-passenger vans aren't the prettiest things, but this one was fluorescent orange. The last leg of the drive home was a bit humorous, we took it that way at least. My little brothers had fun thinking of nicknames for the car; I think their favorite was the giant orange tic-tac. If it wasn't for a twisted sense of humor I think I would have broken down and cried on that trip.

Well, we get home and I find that I left my wallet in the hotel in Kentucky. Dad is still feeling bad. Today we had to take him back to the hospital, and that was stressful. My dad's in pain a lot, but I have not seen him in this much pain in a very long time, if ever. It was past the point where he could barely speak. Getting him from the couch to the car took a load of effort for both him and a combined effort from Mom and me. The pain got so bad that he threw up in the driveway. They had to wheel him into the hospital in a wheelchair (actually, that's happened before, sadly). And one more hospital trip later, and we still have no idea what's wrong with him. Having a cripple for a father sucks. I want my old Dad back.

Oh, and if that weren't enough, I've been an emotional mess lately as well. A week or two before we left, I told a longtime friend of mine that I had feelings for her, which took a lot out of me. Scariest thing I've done in a while. Well, turns out she felt the same way about me. But I'm not likely to ever see her again. Her family just moved to Ohio. Since they switched ISP's, she doesn't have an e-mail address, and no one in her family knows their new phone number (well, maybe her dad but he wasn't there), so all I have is a screenname, and I've never used an IM program in my life, thanks to parental concerns. Long-distance relationships suck, I know that for myself, but I felt stronger about her than anyone else I've met so far, and I can't let her go. Growing up hurts.

So, with my summer rapidly disappearing, I've got to brace myself for a difficult year at school, and I've got nothing to hold onto. My mom's as big a wreck as I am, probably worse since she's got to take care of all of us. I haven't talked to my friends much at all this summer, and the few that I contacted I also offended. I've got church, that's been my rock for a while. I just hope I can keep my head up and not let all this get me down. I'll get through it, it's just a matter of how sane I'll be when things balance out. I just wish I could get off this emotional roller coaster and rest for a while. Oh, well. That's life.

Garanz2
Aug 3, 2004, 08:25 AM
Not good http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I'm not really sure what I can do to help, but I suggest you keep a bright outlook on things and try to stay optimistic. I'm sorry to hear that your dad is that poorly and I hope the hospital gets him back on his feet as soon as possible.

As for the reunion, http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif you just got unlucky I guess.

dude3282
Aug 3, 2004, 09:05 AM
I'm not sure what I was thinking. Maybe it's a rant, I dunno. Writing relaxes me. Talking to people relaxes me. Which is why I've been around here as much as I can lately, and I started posting in FKL. Spamming seems to let me unwind, but I also had to share the serious stuff with someone. I just want my old life back. I want April back, I want Dad back, I want my old friends back. Mm, I'm rambling. Thanks for the sympathy.

Rainbowlemon
Aug 3, 2004, 09:54 AM
Dude, tough break...I feel your pain. Times like this you've gotta just tell yourself, sooner of later somethings GOT to pick up, because nobody's that unlucky. Things may go from bad to worse, but if you stay strong up here *points to head* and remember that for what it's worth, you will always have yourself, then you will eventually pull through the bad spots in life.

I wouldn't see it as a rant either - I know how you feel when you say you just want to talk about it, sometimes it's really nice to get all those messed up thoughts, feelings and memories in a nice, straight order in text, to lay it out and try to figure out what's going on. If you ever need to talk about anything, I, for one, am here, and I'm sure there's plenty of other people who would listen. My inbox is always open ^_^

Really hope things get better ~ Antimony

Aredhel
Aug 3, 2004, 10:41 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cry.gif

I just got a little something in my eye is all!

Life is tough, always will be, despite outward appearances. You will survive this time though. Either that or you won't and you'll be ushered into the lofty realm where the great spirit awaits us all. Either way, you are a strong individual for facing it - you may be surprised how many people 'give up' by resorting to drinking, drugs, suicide, etc... Just pulling through is hard enough for some, though I admire you for living your life despite all of the opportunities you've probably had to end it. I think that talking and interacting with people was the right thing to do - express yourself somehow.

As for the distance-relationship thing, don't give up on her. Be patient (I know it's tough) and just wait for her in the mean-time. One year ago, I had to finish up high school in Colorado while leaving an amazing girl I met in Florida behind. She was always on my mind the entire time, I'd never met a girl like her before. So I shut down emotionally - perhaps it wasn't healthy, but I deadened myself from the inside, feeling only for her, waiting, knowing that I'd see her again one day. No girls, no sex, no nothing for my senior year of high school. Towards the end, I began to have feelings for another, another amazing girl whom I'd never met the likes of before. Once again, my plans to move to Florida after high school had remained the same, and I've now had to suppress my feelings for the second seeing as how the first is in my midst. Something about a first love is so much stronger though - she makes me feel like whatever I do, whetever happens to me, everything will be alright. I don't ahve to worry about college or war or a random gamma-ray burst destroying life on Earth - the idea of hear has created worlds in my mind that could never be destroyed - I have ascended to a higher plane of living because of her. Now it's time that I shared it with her http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

So you see, having an anchor in your life will lead to your apotheosis of the mind - we are all connected through one spirit, regardless of our distress or distance - have hope.

dude3282
Aug 5, 2004, 01:03 PM
Thanks guys. My dad's doing a little bit better. He's seen a couple other doctors and they're still not sure what's wrong with him, but they gave him some more drugs so he's not in as much pain. He went to work today for a few hours, basically read his mail and came home. And I'm feeling better about myself, except about school. I'm still freaking out a bit over that. And the fact that my parents are telling me no message boards, afraid it'll distract me from school. Like we do anything the first week of school. Well, I guess since I'm taking so much AP I'll need to pay more attention. Whatever. Thanks for the help, people. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Tycho
Aug 5, 2004, 02:29 PM
Thats really sucks... But don't forget about the girl, you'll probably get her number if you try, if you have the phone number of someone of her family, you can get them to tell you when they see her and get it.
Or try to mail? (not email)
And IM programs are good, if you can get one to work. Your parents should understand, especially if they know why, that shouldn't be too much of a barrier.

I know religion is convenient. If I weren't brought up as a rational atheist, I'd become a believer.

But it's too late for me, I can't believe anymore.

dude3282
Aug 6, 2004, 11:51 PM
I never said anything about forgetting about April. I just said I feel a lot better about life in general. I'm probably going to talk to my parents about loosening up their "no IM stance", and I'll see how things go from there.

Blue-Hawk
Aug 7, 2004, 12:03 AM
Bad migrains, huh? I really hope he's not on the verge of an anurism.