PDA

View Full Version : "America is a free country."

Tycho
Aug 4, 2004, 05:25 PM
This is -not- a rant against America. It's against the ignorance and arrogance of some American people.

I think a lot of American people don't realize what other countries are like. The perception I got last month when I was in California (just got back, sleepy now..), is that a lot of them don't even realize there are other 'normal' countries in the world. Like Canada, Europe, Australia, or Japan / Taiwan.

A dozen of times I've heard people say "America is a free country."
This would imply apparently in other countries people have less freedom. I don't think so. You can't even drink water from the tap in California!
The voting system sucks as well imho. The side that's gotten the most votes in a particular state, gets all of that state. In this way people will never vote for small parties, they'd vote for one of the big parties, or they're vote would be useless. To me, this makes little sense; how is this fair?

And, hard not to notice, a lot of people have weight problems. That's not freedom, people are even stuck in their own bodies. American food is too fat. Most of it doesn't even taste that good, people should just learn how to eat properly and healthy, and not eat fastfood all the time.

I think people in Europe have at least as much freedom as Americans do. And which of those two would seem more free, the country that needs to mention it, or the countries with equal freedom, where people are used to it, and therefore never mention it? (Excluding this post; it's not a rant for nothing.)

And the "god bless America" thing. What kind of god in his right mind would do such a thing? That's not divine; it's immature.
But I can't blame citizens for the design of the coins I guess, even if I believe the weird government isn't the only one with such an attitude.

It just pissed me of to see a girl with a god-bless-America T-shirt.

I'm so getting flamed for this.
I should say California is beautiful by the way. Despite everything, it probably wouldn't be that bad a place to live.

.. I feel better now. rants are good.

KaFKa
Aug 4, 2004, 05:35 PM
welcome to america, the land of assholes, fat people, and the ignorant. leave your common sense at the door, please, because we want it to be a valuable comodity. once again welcome to america, the land of redundancies and hypocrisy. enjoy your stay http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Bradicus
Aug 4, 2004, 05:37 PM
And, hard not to notice, a lot of people have weight problems. That's not freedom, people are even stuck in their own bodies. American food is too fat. Most of it doesn't even taste that good, people should just learn how to eat properly and healthy, and not eat fastfood all the time.

That statement just grabbed my eye. When my mother returned form a vacation down south, the first thing that came out of her mouth was "Everyone is so fat!".

I wasn't sure if i should feel offended for the US, or just laugh. I told her that it must have been the area she was in, but she held to her claims.

Solstis
Aug 4, 2004, 05:54 PM
On 2004-08-04 15:37, Bradicus wrote:

That statement just grabbed my eye. When my mother returned form a vacation down south, the first thing that came out of her mouth was "Everyone is so fat!".

I wasn't sure if i should feel offended for the US, or just laugh. I told her that it must have been the area she was in, but she held to her claims.

On a trip to Italy:

"There aren't any fat people!"

I think I found two, at most.

InfernoNR7
Aug 4, 2004, 05:56 PM
I have a couple things to say.

But, first off, I half agree, and disagree with your post.

I think that it really doesn't matter if you're fat, as long as you have a good personality, and are fit (yes, you can be fit and fat).

Also, I'm not sure if you meant by that God-Bless-America comment, but it sounded very racist (well, I guess the correct term would be something like religeonist). Yet, this is also a ton of hypocricy by MOST that use that term, since they are atheists, evolutionists, buhuddists, and are usually NOT Christians/Catholics etc.

Why are you ranting on our freedom anyways? We really do have a lot of freedom. Yes, the rich and highly political do certainly have more "freedom" than we, but whatever. "Everyone is equal, some are just more equal than others." (Paraphrased quote from Animal Farm)

Sord
Aug 4, 2004, 05:58 PM
in the colonial days, the French believed that the American diet consisted of to much fats, butter, and sugars, today we consume more of that then any other country

Tycho
Aug 4, 2004, 06:06 PM
On 2004-08-04 15:56, InfernoNR7 wrote:

I think that it really doesn't matter if you're fat, as long as you have a good personality, and are fit (yes, you can be fit and fat).

Also, I'm not sure if you meant by that God-Bless-America comment, but it sounded very racist (well, I guess the correct term would be something like religeonist). Yet, this is also a ton of hypocricy by MOST that use that term, since they are atheists, evolutionists, buhuddists, and are usually NOT Christians/Catholics etc.

Why are you ranting on our freedom anyways? We really do have a lot of freedom. Yes, the rich and highly political do certainly have more "freedom" than we, but whatever. "Everyone is equal, some are just more equal than others." (Paraphrased quote from Animal Farm)

Racist? Then how would it be fair for a god to bless only one particular country and letting the others rot in the meanwhile, not paying attention to any other country than the blessed America?

Solstis
Aug 4, 2004, 06:11 PM

*looks around*

Can I please tear this apart?

Cool!

1. The original poster said nothing bad about fat people, but that Americans are fatter, in general.

2. God Bless America was added in the 1950s during a McCarthy inspired anti-communist craze. Where's the religion there?

The phrase itself is a form of hyprocrisy, not the "atheists" and such that sometimes say it. If it was not your intention to call "them" hypocrites, some English lessons would be nice.

3. Did you read the original post in its entireity? No? Did you understand it? No?

So, you posted to defend the "nation" against an attack that wasn't really an attack. How very bright of you.

I would delve in further, but it isn't really worth it.

Goodbye.

Sord
Aug 4, 2004, 06:14 PM
On 2004-08-04 16:06, Tycho wrote:

Racist? Then how would it be fair for a god to bless only one particular country and letting the others rot in the meanwhile, not paying attention to any other country than the blessed America?

pfft, like god really gives a damn about equality. Hell, he screwed over Egypt just so the Israelites could see his power (lot of good that did him, they just all sinned anyways.) Also, if god gave a damn about equality, then why are certain people sent to hell and others to heaven, because they are good, pfft, no, cause they did what god saw as right. Do what your told and be rewarded. At least, that's my outlook on the whole god thing, I guess i should mention I'm atheist.

Tycho
Aug 4, 2004, 06:22 PM
I'm an atheist as well.
I think gods shouldn't care about whether a person lives in the states or not. >_>

Also, why don't foreigners have any rights in the US? <_<

The American law even says president candidates have to be born in the USA. They should require presidents to have brains instead.

Aww, no Schwarznegger for president. =(

InfernoNR7
Aug 4, 2004, 06:24 PM
On 2004-08-04 16:11, Solstis wrote:

*looks around*

Cool!

1. The original poster said nothing bad about fat people, but that Americans are fatter, in general.

2. God Bless America was added in the 1950s during a McCarthy inspired anti-communist craze. Where's the religion there?

The phrase itself is a form of hyprocrisy, not the "atheists" and such that sometimes say it. If it was not your intention to call "them" hypocrites, some English lessons would be nice.

3. Did you read the original post in its entireity? No? Did you understand it? No?

So, you posted to defend the "nation" against an attack that wasn't really an attack. How very bright of you.

Goodbye.

Sounded very much like people were attacking the fat. Why comment it (in the rants section) otherwise? 'eh

So praying for your country is wrong? No, I use it while praying. I find it hypocritical for anyone who is not Christian/Catholic to use it.

It is not them, (How you would like my statement to read) "...this is also a ton of hypocricy by MOST that use that term, since them are atheists, evolutionists, buhuddists, and are usually NOT Christians/Catholics etc."

Go take remedial english, or an "idiot's" English class sometime buddy.

Yes, I read it, yes, I understood it.

Go play more PSO and leave us alone on the forums. Gah.

PS, I don't think that I should have to refine my posts on a forum, sure, I do for my papaers in Honors English, but not for forums.

EDIT: Clarified one statement, added the PS.

EDIT: Took out a "naughty" word...

Another EDIT: Ya'll ...... gah, nvm. Let's just say that I hope I don't meet you in real life... (Because I wouldn't wana deal with you then)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: InfernoNR7 on 2004-08-04 16:26 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: InfernoNR7 on 2004-08-04 16:49 ]</font>

lolli edit: trust me, i saw that. welcome to +1 warning

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2004-08-04 17:24 ]</font>

InfernoNR7
Aug 4, 2004, 06:27 PM
Oh, one quote I found very good while reading Animal Farm (in all three forms), (Paraphrase) "Everyone is equal, some are just more equal than others." --This statement is pretty much true anywhere I've been.

Solstis
Aug 4, 2004, 06:28 PM
On 2004-08-04 16:24, InfernoNR7 wrote:

On 2004-08-04 16:11, Solstis wrote:

*looks around*

Cool!

Goodbye.

Sounded very much like people were attacking the fat. Why comment it (in the rants section) otherwise? 'eh

So praying for your country is wrong? No, I use it while praying. I find it hypocritical for anyone who is not Christian/Catholic to use it.

It is not Yet, this is also a ton of hypocricy by MOST that use that term, since them are atheists, evolutionists, buhuddists, and are usually NOT Christians/Catholics etc.

Go take remedial english, or an "idiot's" English class sometime buddy.

Yes, I read it, yes, you're a (I don't give an Fing crap if people get offended by that), yes, I understood it.

Go play more PSO and leave us alone on the forums. Gah.

[edit numbah #3]:

Message Deleted.

Stop being ignorant of your own ignorance!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2004-08-04 16:29 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2004-08-04 16:35 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2004-08-04 17:12 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2004-08-04 17:23 ]</font>

Nai_Calus
Aug 4, 2004, 06:35 PM
Ok, Inferno, ignoring your ignorant posts, calling somone a *** is in violation of the forum rules, and something I find personally offensive regardless of whether or not it is directed at me. Lay off of it.

Sord
Aug 4, 2004, 06:38 PM
On 2004-08-04 16:27, InfernoNR7 wrote:
Oh, one quote I found very good while reading Animal Farm (in all three forms), (Paraphrase) "Everyone is equal, some are just more equal than others." --This statement is pretty much true anywhere I've been.

if you ask me, in this day an age, it should be
"Everyone is born equal, but after that, your status will change depending on what you do." That might be written somewhere, i dunno, it just popped in my head a few years back while studying (surprise surprise) American History.

HUnewearl_Meira
Aug 4, 2004, 06:39 PM
On 2004-08-04 15:25, Tycho wrote:
I think a lot of American people don't realize what other countries are like. The perception I got last month when I was in California (just got back, sleepy now..), is that a lot of them don't even realize there are other 'normal' countries in the world. Like Canada, Europe, Australia, or Japan / Taiwan.

I'll be quite honest with you, this nation has as high a percentage of thoughtless idiots and social retards as any other nation does that don't realize that there's a whole world outside of the US.

This would imply apparently in other countries people have less freedom. I don't think so.

When that phrase was coined (no pun intended), it was true. That motto was established early on, when the United States established its freedom from England; as you'll recall, that was a fight over being taxed without being properly represented in the government. The American people at that time felt oppressed by the government of the British Empire, and thus, broke that oppression, then set out to establish a new government that would protect your rights to behave as you wish, provided that you do not violate someone else's rights.

Over the following decades, many immigrants came to the United States for those reasons-- Under the various governments of Europe at the time (some of which have been overthrown or radically altered), rights were not really protected. Many of the rights that Americans take for granted, such as the right to free speech, were not present in other nations. Furthermore, other nations made it difficult for the poor to succeed in life, because their options in professions were genuinely limited to their social class. Those who immigrated to the US found a land of opportunity, and being accustomed to working hard already, they quickly prospered to a reasonably comfortable life.

So in short, they refer to the United States as "A free country" because it is emphasized by our government that our Freedom is Guaranteed.

You can't even drink water from the tap in California!

I live in California. I drink from the tap all the time. Granted, it's not the best of water if you live in a city, but it's quite drinkable.

The voting system sucks as well imho. The side that's gotten the most votes in a particular state, gets all of that state. In this way people will never vote for small parties, they'd vote for one of the big parties, or they're vote would be useless. To me, this makes little sense; how is this fair?

Ever look at a voting map from the United States? The way the vote filters down, elected officials end up being elected by the majority of the country geographically, rather than popularly. Observe the results from the 2000 election, here (http://www.rosecity.net/al_gore/election_map.html).

If our officials were elected popularly, then those not living in large cities would be screwed. The way the system works now, states with small populations like Rhode Island and Alaska get as much voice in the election as states with large populations, like California and New York. The system is actually quite fair.

You're right. There's recently been a drive in the United States to eat and live healthier, and though the issue has been there for the last 40 or 50 years, it hasn't been until just recently that it's gotten a larger amount of attention. I submit that American life is simply too easy.

I think people in Europe have at least as much freedom as Americans do. And which of those two would seem more free, the country that needs to mention it, or the countries with equal freedom, where people are used to it, and therefore never mention it? (Excluding this post; it's not a rant for nothing.)

Europe has some pretty strict laws, to my understanding. In the US, things can be fairly loose, but again, ever since the beginning, all Americans have been guaranteed to have their rights protected. That's why it's such a big deal, here-- it's the principle that this nation was founded on. Only a handful of other nations can boast that. Europe had to work its way up to freedom. We started with it.

Also, compare the US with most Middle-Eastern nations. Did you know that in Iran, you have to get your father's permission before you can leave the country? A woman must get her husband's permission, if she's married. For that matter, you basically have to have your father's permission to do anything, in that nation. Most Middle-Eastern nations forbid women from showing their faces in public. How about Cuba, where Fidel Castro's will is law? If he doesn't like you, you could be incarcerated for the rest of your life. Perhaps North Korea, where your occupation is chosen for you, and you get no say in the matter? Being a "Free Country" is not necessarily in contrast to Europe, it's a contrast to the world in general, and it's something that we take pride in.

And the "god bless America" thing. What kind of god in his right mind would do such a thing? That's not divine; it's immature.

It's not a statement, it's a request. To say, "God bless America," is to ask God to bless America, not to say that he already did. Though with our rich resources and the narrow margin through which we achieved victory in our Revolutionary War, one might suggest that He did, indeed, bless America.

I'm sorry to hear that.

I should say California is beautiful by the way. Despite everything, it probably wouldn't be that bad a place to live.

California's very nice, actually. We're known as "The Golden State" because of the large deposits of gold here (in some places, you can literally just scoop some rocks from a riverbed and find small gold nuggets), as well as our abundancy of sunshine. Long ago, my parents had a friend from Texas visit for the first time, and he commented that, "Even the dry grass is golden!" I've personally not travelled to other states to witness this myself, but evidently he was more accustomed to seeing the dry grass turn grey. That generally doesn't happen in California.

But yeah, asside from having some of the highest gas prices in the US (which, I believe, is still considerably lower than anywhere in Europe), California is indeed a very pleasent place to live.

Subliminalgroove
Aug 4, 2004, 06:39 PM
On 2004-08-04 15:35, KaFKa wrote:
welcome to america, the land of assholes, fat people, and the ignorant. leave your common sense at the door, please, because we want it to be a valuable comodity. once again welcome to america, the land of redundancies and hypocrisy. enjoy your stay http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

I could not have said it better myself. <kisses Kafka>

digigram
Aug 4, 2004, 06:42 PM
Calling someone that is in total bad character and reflects upon you both as an ignorant fool and someone that does not listen to reason, or for that matter, pay attention to detail.

That seriously offends me even though it was not directed towards me. Hope you don't do it again.

(((btw, I was replying to the "gay" bashing)))

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: digigram on 2004-08-04 16:43 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2004-08-04 17:25 ]</font>

Myopathy
Aug 4, 2004, 06:48 PM
This would imply apparently in other countries people have less freedom.

No, it just implies America is a free country...just like it says. If I were to say "Texas toast is good." Does that imply other toast aren't as good? No.

The voting system sucks as well imho.

As long as we have that in bold, that's all that matters. In my opinion, it's not perfect, but it gets the job done.

The side that's gotten the most votes in a particular state, gets all of that state. In this way people will never vote for small parties, they'd vote for one of the big parties, or they're vote would be useless. To me, this makes little sense; how is this fair?

You don't know much about the US electoral system do you? The popular vote is useless. The US government is a Republic, means it is run by representatives. The popular vote is just for show and sometimes used to break ties or something. But the representative that the poplace choose are the people who do the real voting.

Ok, so Americans are fat. Great. I think that fact was well established a decade ago.

Again, I don't remember anybody saying Europe was less free. Oh wait, that's right, it was "implied." Okay, gotcha. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Think of it as a wish. Like how a lot of athletes pray to God to help them win a competition. Now if it said, "God bless, America, and condemn all other nations," I'd understand where you're coming from.

How about those that say "Bitch" on them? o_O

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ezellaur on 2004-08-04 16:56 ]</font>

InfernoNR7
Aug 4, 2004, 06:51 PM
On 2004-08-04 16:35, Ian-KunX wrote:
Ok, Inferno, ignoring your ignorant posts, calling somone a *** is in violation of the forum rules, and something I find personally offensive regardless of whether or not it is directed at me. Lay off of it.

I edited it after thinking of others who are homosexual or transsexual etc. on this board.... sorry.

Bradicus
Aug 4, 2004, 07:20 PM
I have no problem with the phrases "God bless America" and "America is a free country". Love for your country is admirable... to a limit. It is the people who take these things too seriously that need to be ranted against.

The fact is, there are many citizens that think -without question- that "God" (the one and only true deity) bestows all his love and protection upon the last bastion of freedom on the planet: The Yoo Nah-ted States of Ah-muricah!

These are the types that start spewing xenophobic remarks whenever a minority is near, and worship newscasters blindly.

I'm not saying that all (or even most) Americans are like this, just that they do exist in great numbers.

Tycho
Aug 4, 2004, 07:21 PM

I think it's not a good thing. Why a specific country? If people didn't think in such a way, I think there'd be less war. I'm saying, it's ok to prefer America over other countries, just try not to if you have never seen any other country.

When that phrase was coined (no pun intended), it was true. That motto was established early on, when the United States established its freedom from England; as you'll recall, that was a fight over being taxed without being properly represented in the government. The American people at that time felt oppressed by the government of the British Empire, and thus, broke that oppression, then set out to establish a new government that would protect your rights to behave as you wish, provided that you do not violate someone else's rights.

Over the following decades, many immigrants came to the United States for those reasons-- Under the various governments of Europe at the time (some of which have been overthrown or radically altered), rights were not really protected. Many of the rights that Americans take for granted, such as the right to free speech, were not present in other nations. Furthermore, other nations made it difficult for the poor to succeed in life, because their options in professions were genuinely limited to their social class. Those who immigrated to the US found a land of opportunity, and being accustomed to working hard already, they quickly prospered to a reasonably comfortable life.

So in short, they refer to the United States as "A free country" because it is emphasized by our government that our Freedom is Guaranteed.

I didn't know this. Anyway, odd how it's still used like it was then, now things have changed for some countries.

Ever look at a voting map from the United States? The way the vote filters down, elected officials end up being elected by the majority of the country geographically, rather than popularly. Observe the results from the 2000 election, here.

If our officials were elected popularly, then those not living in large cities would be screwed. The way the system works now, states with small populations like Rhode Island and Alaska get as much voice in the election as states with large populations, like California and New York. The system is actually quite fair.

I know it's done geographically; if I said it wrong: sorry, my bad. IMO people in large cities wouldn't be worse off, I think it only fair if every single person has an equal right at voting, and the same influence. I think voting is about individual people, not counties or geographical places.
And what I was trying to say is, with the county system, people who would vote for not-that-popular candidates have even worse chances than they already did, since people would prefer to vote for the popular one that seems least bad (aka not letting their vote go to waste).

Europe has some pretty strict laws, to my understanding. In the US, things can be fairly loose, but again, ever since the beginning, all Americans have been guaranteed to have their rights protected. That's why it's such a big deal, here-- it's the principle that this nation was founded on. Only a handful of other nations can boast that. Europe had to work its way up to freedom. We started with it.

Also, compare the US with most Middle-Eastern nations. Did you know that in Iran, you have to get your father's permission before you can leave the country? A woman must get her husband's permission, if she's married. For that matter, you basically have to have your father's permission to do anything, in that nation. Most Middle-Eastern nations forbid women from showing their faces in public. How about Cuba, where Fidel Castro's will is law? If he doesn't like you, you could be incarcerated for the rest of your life. Perhaps North Korea, where your occupation is chosen for you, and you get no say in the matter? Being a "Free Country" is not necessarily in contrast to Europe, it's a contrast to the world in general, and it's something that we take pride in.

May I ask you to list a few of the strict rules? We have a weird government too atm. Like in the states, half of the laws here are bull, but I don't know how European rules are that strict.
Ok, so here I'm not allowed to drive at 16, but at least alcohol's 16 instead of 21.

And I know some countries don't really have freedom, for that reason I didn't list those with Canada, Australia, etc.
Sorry if I was unclear about Europe, I meant West-Europe. I know it's not that great in the Eastern blocks.
(Isn't it a bit unfit for countries like America to compare themself to countries like Northern Korea, Cuba, or Iran?)

Long ago, my parents had a friend from Texas visit for the first time, and he commented that, "Even the dry grass is golden!" I've personally not travelled to other states to witness this myself, but evidently he was more accustomed to seeing the dry grass turn grey. That generally doesn't happen in California.

Bit offtopic, but, personally I thought the grass there was bad. xD
In some way the grass I'm used to feels softer than the CA grass. Does grass have different subspecies?

(((btw, I was replying to the "fag" bashing)))

Thank you, couldn't see it at first, thought it was aimed at me. >_>

No, it just implies America is a free country...just like it says. If I were to say "Texas toast is good." Does that imply other toast aren't as good? No.

Does it not? I think it's the opposite. If every other kind of toast would be better than Texas toast, people wouldn't say Texas toast was good.

How about those that say "Bitch" on them? o_O

I don't care about those, it's the ignorance that irritated me.

I'm tired. Think I'll be back tomorrow.

LollipopLolita
Aug 4, 2004, 07:29 PM
you guys, you should realize, this is silly you know that? every country needs its patriotic dreams and no country is perfect and nirvana. stop just bashing on one country. and then countering by bringing up a practice from another country without understanding the cultural reasons behind that country's practice, no?

and you know what, you guys need to stop stereotyping and being ethnocentric. and everyone posting here better be careful not to cross the rules. and yes inferno, i saw what you did. think before you speak, not edit after.

and the weight problem goes beyond simple omg they eat too much. if you know more about social economics, you would see that a lot of the weight and health problems comes from poverty.

now stop throwing spats and catty remarks or insults at each other. have more tact and compassion. if you want to enter in such discussions, at least educate yourself enough to be correct.

lastly, there are many people on this board. not everyone has to agree or like each other, i don't care about that. i only care that you conduct yourselves according to our tos. thank you.

InfernoNR7
Aug 4, 2004, 07:31 PM
On 2004-08-04 17:21, Tycho wrote:

I think it's not a good thing. Why a specific country? If people didn't think in such a way, I think there'd be less war. I'm saying, it's ok to prefer America over other countries, just try not to if you have never seen any other country.

Why a specific country? I pray for everyone dude, the world, gosh, But to say specifically for my country is becuase praying for other ones doesn't affect me as directly as it does in other countries. Just like I pray for our president, not the president of France.

anwserman
Aug 4, 2004, 07:34 PM
Eh, just to point this out...

When people say "One nation under God", the forefathers meant that "God" could be any belief of yours or lack thereof... it is just that Cathlicism also has "God" and that the two are mixed up...

So, one nation under God applies to what you think God is, not what a Catholic person believes.

And yes, a lot of Americans are fat.

InfernoNR7
Aug 4, 2004, 07:50 PM
On 2004-08-04 17:34, anwserman wrote:

When people say "One nation under God", the forefathers meant that "God" could be any belief of yours or lack thereof... it is just that Cathlicism also has "God" and that the two are mixed up...

So, one nation under God applies to what you think God is, not what a Catholic person believes.

Well, that's quite funny that you think the God that they said meant to mean any God. You see, many of the people who came to America came to get away from religeous depression (brain lock, forgot the correct word). These people were devout Christians, no matter what anyone may think........

Also, our constitution was based off of many priciples from the Bible.

anwserman
Aug 4, 2004, 08:02 PM
Yes, the rule system might be based off of the Catholic religion, but the government doesn't persecute anyone who doesn't believe in a certain religion, e.g. the Holocaust to bring an example.

However, you are correct in the fact that many laws are created in Catholic beliefs, but who wrote the laws? The government itself or the people elected into the government?

Ness
Aug 4, 2004, 08:26 PM
You did alot of stereotyping, Tycho. For one thing, it seems that you are only focusing on the negative aspects of America and overreacting a bit (which can be said about some of the other people here as well).

Why not? Just because we don't talk about them doesn't mean we don't know what they are like. I doubt people in other countries hold long conversations about other nations either.

This would imply apparently in other countries people have less freedom. I don't think so. You can't even drink water from the tap in California!

No, it implies that America is a free country. It doesn't say anything against other nations. All it says is that America is a free country. Also, how is our voting system not fair? It sounds to me like you are stereotyping. I admit that the electoral college should be done away with, but voting for another party doesn't mean your vote was useless. Those that vote for independent parties also contribute to the system because that's one less vote for one of the other dominant parites. Also the independent parties here tend to be on the extreme side.

That's is one of the most ignorant statemnts I have every heard. Saying that a fat person doesn't have freedom is not only an insult to every fat person in America, but every fat person worldwide as well. Also, people eat fash food because they can and it's their choice. Most people know what it does to you; they just don't care or are not in a postition to stop. Also, you are streotyping again by saying that msot Americans don't know how to eat healthy, which is untrue.

So what? America is "a free country" and the fact that Europe is free doesn't change that. I think you are overreacting a bit.

But I can't blame citizens for the design of the coins I guess, even if I believe the weird government isn't the only one with such an attitude.

It's ironic that you rant about the US not really being a free country yet you bitch about someone who is exercising their right to express themselves freely.

Why? if she wants her god to bless this country then I say more power to her.

Solstis
Aug 4, 2004, 08:26 PM
On 2004-08-04 17:50, InfernoNR7 wrote:

On 2004-08-04 17:34, anwserman wrote:

Well, that's quite funny that you think the God that they said meant to mean any God. You see, many of the people who came to America came to get away from religeous depression (brain lock, forgot the correct word). These people were devout Christians, no matter what anyone may think........

Also, our constitution was based off of many priciples from the Bible.

Ben Franklin and many of his ilk were Deists.

In general, Deists belive that God has left man to do what he will, without intervention, but with guidance of his/His words.

They were generally frowned upon.

(I feel off-topic)

astuarlen
Aug 4, 2004, 10:54 PM
Yes, the rule system might be based off of the Catholic religion, but the government doesn't persecute anyone who doesn't believe in a certain religion, e.g. the Holocaust to bring an example.

However, you are correct in the fact that many laws are created in Catholic beliefs, but who wrote the laws? The government itself or the people elected into the government?
Just as an interesting tangent to the main discussion, the general sentiment held by the majority of the early American population--or, at least, the more powerful--was decidedly anti-Catholic, or as they might say back then, "anti-papist". There were actually very few Catholic American founders in contrast to protestants or even deists. Later, nativist movements such as the "Know-Nothings" directed their ire towards immigrants, Irish, and Catholics. I mean, we can't be inviting the Pope in to rule America, can we? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Aredhel
Aug 4, 2004, 11:34 PM

In some way the grass I'm used to feels softer than the CA grass.

Hmmm...
And you're from the Netherlands?

<_<

>_>

I've lived half of my life in various parts of Western Europe, and the other half in various parts of the United States. All I've noticed is that people are the same wherever you go - pushy, untrusting, unforgiving assholes who would accept and trust even the most offensive of strangers with the most pleasant demeanor http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Ask yourself this: does complaining about the differences between countries and peoples impact you on a cosmic level? The war starts at home - always.

Myopathy
Aug 5, 2004, 12:06 AM

Does it not? I think it's the opposite. If every other kind of toast would be better than Texas toast, people wouldn't say Texas toast was good.

Do you really interpret it that way? That's a pretty pessimistic/antagonistic viewpoint. Look at it this way. If I were to walk up to you, and we started talking about games. And then I made the comment, "PSO is a great game." Would you really interpret that as "PSO is a great game, and other games are not as good." The reason I ask is I say that a lot, and I certainly don't think all other games are not as good as PSO. On the same token, if you look at it from the opposite view, if I were to say "PSO is a crappy game," would that mean "PSO is a crappy game, and all other games are better?"

You see the thing is you're looking at it on a relative level, when the statement is made on the absolute level. If the statement was "American is a free-er country," you would have a point. (Yes, I know that's not a real word, but you all get the idea).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ezellaur on 2004-08-04 22:13 ]</font>

anwserman
Aug 5, 2004, 02:09 AM
Not to throw fire into the conversation, but yeah I can easily see why people think all Americans are jerks though...

Because a big group of (I'm assuming British) people came to the DQ and ordered ice cream... they didn't know what a lid was (they said something else) and they all reminded me of S Club 7 and other examples of British accents that I'm familiar with.

But, most of all, they were extremely polite to me... enough to the point where I knew they weren't American, and that to quote myself, "The only Americans that would tell me 'Thank you' that much would be mentally handicapped."

>_<

Yes, people can be arrogant fucks when it comes to getting ice cream. Those people, however, weren't. And they weren't American either, because they were the best customers of the month probably.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: anwserman on 2004-08-05 00:10 ]</font>

WraithVerge
Aug 5, 2004, 03:10 AM
EDIT: Oops. Hit the submit button too quick.

*ahem* A lot of people have responded quite nicely and I give them my respect. I nearly expected this thread to get locked at the mention of religion, but somehow everything is still civil.

the British had a similar saying when England had a true Monarchy (and although I am not positive I still think they use it today): God Save the King/Queen! Just a prayer to God, much like God bless America is. (yeah yeah, I know that last sentence has been said before or something along the lines of it...)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WraithVerge on 2004-08-05 01:13 ]</font>

Murdercall
Aug 5, 2004, 03:15 AM
I think people in Europe have at least as much freedom as Americans do.

Maybe Europe as a whole, but you shouldn't really generalize Europe because now we have an assortment of different countries in it. For example Estonia which is a communist country..

Because a big group of (I'm assuming British) people came to the DQ and ordered ice cream... they didn't know what a lid was (they said something else)

lol I don't know why they didn't know what a lid was because it's a commonly used word over here http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

anwserman
Aug 5, 2004, 03:23 AM
Cover? I don't remember.
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif But, they weren't American because they were way too friendly to be American.

Plus the accent too. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

darthsaber9x9
Aug 5, 2004, 05:28 AM

I just wanna make sure you know that Europe is a continent and not a country http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Tycho
Aug 5, 2004, 10:30 AM
On 2004-08-05 01:15, Murdercall wrote:

Maybe Europe as a whole, but you shouldn't really generalize Europe because now we have an assortment of different countries in it. For example Estonia which is a communist country..

lol I don't know why they didn't know what a lid was because it's a commonly used word over here http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

I've never heard of Estonia.. O_o; But like I said before, if I wasn't clear enough, I was aiming especially at Western Europe.

btw, what's a lid? >_>

Edit: Why would I think countries should try not to be arrogant or ignorant? Terrorists would dislike you, and they don't settle rows with talk.
Don't say I'm generalizing and saying everyone in America is like that. I know that's not true.

The French have a good second place in being arrogant about they're country I think. Good thing they have less to brag about. (No offense to the French)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tycho on 2004-08-05 08:35 ]</font>

Superguppie
Aug 5, 2004, 11:04 AM
On 2004-08-05 08:30, Tycho wrote:

On 2004-08-05 01:15, Murdercall wrote:

I've never heard of Estonia.. O_o; But like I said before, if I wasn't clear enough, I was aiming especially at Western Europe.

Easily cleared up by another Dutch guy: Estland.
And last I heard they joined the European Union after kicking out communism. I'm not sure where Murdercall got his history/geography lessons. (America perhaps?)

btw, what's a lid? >_>

Uh, Dutch help again: Deksel. En als je de reactie van anwserman net boven die van jou had gelezen had je ook cover (nog een deksel dus) gevonden.

Oh, and after skimming this topic I am smiling about all the beautiful stereotypes I've seen. Great writing guys...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Superguppie on 2004-08-05 09:09 ]</font>

Tycho
Aug 5, 2004, 12:43 PM
Thank you, the Estonia thing's starting to make sense. About the lid, I knew the 'cover' stuff, but I was assuming it had something to do with buying ice cream. >__>

InfernoNR7
Aug 5, 2004, 12:51 PM
On 2004-08-05 10:43, Tycho wrote:
Thank you, the Estonia thing's starting to make sense. About the lid, I knew the 'cover' stuff, but I was assuming it had something to do with buying ice cream. >__>

It does, with many ice cream things at DQ they'll ask you if you'd like a lid (cover) on it (because us Americans are oh-so-messy).

Shattered_weasel
Aug 5, 2004, 01:02 PM
All I say is that you are stereotypical and spoiled. KTHXBAI...wow never used that.

AUTO_
Aug 5, 2004, 01:30 PM
On 2004-08-05 01:23, anwserman wrote:
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif But, they weren't American because they were way too friendly to be American.

Plus the accent too. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

No offense, but that's the dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard.

If you're going to compare the generousity levels of our country based on how people act when they go to a DQ, you need to get your head straight.

Some British soccer hooligans could've came in (yes, even with there awesome accents!) and told you to 'pish off' every two seconds while they were ordering...even though I'm not really sure why British soccer hooligans would be in a DQ.

Jesus you people need to stop generalizing the fuck out of everything.

Sorry if that came off harsh.

agenevil
Aug 5, 2004, 01:33 PM
Spoiled huh. You like that word, dont you.

Anyways, most of time, I could care less If i live in america, I know I am VERY lucky to be here though. I'd rather be here than, say, well, anywhere =/ I might be able to do more with what I am into in canada or england though

Shattered_weasel
Aug 5, 2004, 01:42 PM
On 2004-08-05 11:33, agenevil wrote:
Spoiled huh. You like that word, dont you.

Anyways, most of time, I could care less If i live in america, I know I am VERY lucky to be here though. I'd rather be here than, say, well, anywhere =/ I might be able to do more with what I am into in canada or england though

O I love the word. Because I have seen the best of all worlds. I was born in Canada, lived in US, and now im in Puerto Rico. I have seen the richest of rich and the poorest of poor. Not saying you havn't but spoiled is what I call people who whine because someone put "god" in there pledge or because some one is wearing a "God bless America shirt". But of course opinions are like asscracks...everyone has em....and they all smell like shit.

(PSOW member had that as there sig and i would liek to know who)