PDA

View Full Version : GameCube WaveBird Controller, First Impressions

Ziggy-san
Jun 17, 2002, 07:27 PM
Aaa, if you haven't already heard of this before, you're probably deaf. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

OK, so it's a GameCube controller, but wireless. It uses a Radio Frequency to transmit signals over to the GameCube from over 20 feet away. Pretty sweet. It comes with:

1 Wireless WaveBird GameCube Controller
1 reciever, which plugs into the GameCube socket port thingy
2 AA Batteries (yay! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif)
Instruction Booklet
1 Severed Head

Aaa, this thing looks and plays pretty sweet. I nabbed it at the local Wal-Mart for a petty 29.95, and I'm happy with it. I dunno about battery life, cause I've only had it a day, but considering it uses RF signals rather thanh infared...well...think about a DVD remote...okay quadruple that. Sounds like it'll last a while, keke. But, in any case, I've got rechargables, so it isn't really a problem http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Aaa, so get it, it's good. Not to mention it will prolly make PSO uhhm...interesting...

And about battery life, and it wearing out on you in the middle of a Dark Falz battle or something...there's a light that shows how much battery you've got left. If the light looks dim, replace the batteries...uhhm...on a whim?
...Aaa, I can't rhyme for my life http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ziggy-san on 2002-06-17 17:29 ]</font>

DESSYX
Jun 17, 2002, 07:45 PM
I bought a WaveBird mostly for PSO. I really don't mind the missing rumble feature, as I spent almost a year playing the Dreamcast PSO with no rumble. I've actually started playing my Cube more since I got the WaveBird, trying out Smash Bros. and Rogue Leader with it. I can't wait for August 9th to roll around. That's when I'll REALLY start using the WaveBird.

Ziggy-san
Jun 17, 2002, 07:52 PM
I think it's August 8th, but more importantly...

Hai, to preserve battery life, the rumble feature is...uhh...gone...

However, in PSO at least, rumble is usually minimal, and when it does rumble, it's just an annoyance, and a dictraction. So yeah, that's the only flaw I've found so far...

Nendaiki
Jun 17, 2002, 08:24 PM
Why the hell would you buy a Wavebird for PSO? PSO is the only game that makes the WB pointless. *Playing game on other side of room, someone says something to you, you run across the room to the keyboard. Run back to controller before getting killed by booma, etc.*
I'm not the only one who sees this point right?
But the WaveBird DOES rule. I always wanted to spin around and paly at the same time! WEEEEEEEEE!!!

Nendaiki
Jun 17, 2002, 08:26 PM
Oh, and PlanetGAmeCUbe stated that the light is only there to show you it's on. It is unfortunately no indication of battery life.

Ziggy-san
Jun 17, 2002, 08:32 PM
On 2002-06-17 18:26, Nendaiki wrote:
Oh, and PlanetGAmeCUbe stated that the light is only there to show you it's on. It is unfortunately no indication of battery life.

Aaa...I thought it was like the old GameBoy lights, that got dimmer as battery life diminished...I could be wrong, but that's what the instructions say...

Spin around while playing, keke, I gotta try that :P

GhoStar
Jun 17, 2002, 08:51 PM
I don't plan to get a keyboard for PSO GC just yet (word select and shortcuts will do me fine like they did on DC... for time being). And I heard the light does dim to show the power running out. Can someone re-check the manual.

Nendaiki
Jun 17, 2002, 08:54 PM
I never actually checked, it's just PlanetGamecube said that. I'd hope a site reviewing a piece of hardware wouldn't be retarded enough to check that out and screw up.
Yes, the spinning is very fun in SSB:M. You have to try and duplicate everything your character does while he does it. Quite fun ^_^
P.S. "Borrow" a friend for that.

AMP
Jun 17, 2002, 08:57 PM
POWER INDICATOR
Lights up when power is on. The Power Indicator will begin to fade when the batteries are losing their charge.

Nendaiki
Jun 17, 2002, 08:57 PM
Well, I checked the manual and PGC is retarded. It does specifically state it begins to fade. Cool ^_^. I have to go flame PGC...

DESSYX
Jun 17, 2002, 09:27 PM
August 8th is the release date. However, I won't have the game until August 9th because of Next Day Air. As for playing PSO with the WaveBird, I think it will be great. I don't care much for rumble, and I feel like I have more freedom and control when there is no cord to worry about. And because of the crap I've seen going on in this forum lately, I'm going to remind everyone that this is an OPINION.

Strider_Gren
Jun 17, 2002, 09:37 PM
Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but wouldn't it be tight if there's a wireless version of the GCN keyboard/controller hybrid?

WaveBoard

lol

Ziggy-san
Jun 18, 2002, 05:20 AM
Okay, there are a lot of things I can tolerate. That huge keyboard controller hybrid, however, is not one of them! o.0

I mean, if that's the only keyboard I can use, then I'll plug my Wavebird into port 1, and one of the controller sockets of the controller into port 4 or something, cause that mother looks really difficult to use!

Aaa, I'm use to holding the controller with two hands, then switch to one when I need to type something quick, like "okay" or something.

Hmm...I wonder if I can get a Dreamcast BBA for $60 ^^;