PDA

View Full Version : "America is a democracy!"

Eihwaz
Aug 5, 2004, 06:47 PM
Okay, now, this REALLY fucking pisses me off.

Nickelodeon has been doing lame atempts at political things, like a song about all the presidents, and a song about the type of government we have. It shows a dude with a guitar shaped like the USA, and he sings "AMEEEERICA, DEMOCRACY!"

Shut. The. Fuck. Up.

America is a fucking democratic fucking republic. If you're going to be telling impressionable children about what kind of government we have, fucking do it right. Write a new damn song if you have to.

One more reason to loathe Nick. >_<

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eihwaz on 2004-08-08 08:30 ]</font>

HUnewearl_Meira
Aug 5, 2004, 06:59 PM
Well, technically speaking, we can indeed be described as a Democracy, but we're specifically a Representative Democracy, or Democratic Republic.

Aredhel
Aug 5, 2004, 08:10 PM
Well, in democracy, everyone has a voice - I don't think it's really aimed at letting kids have a serious vote as it is just letting each child feel like they are more important than mommy and daddy lead them on to believe they are. So yes, it's a lie - but then again, so is the entire fucking media. What are you going to do? Wage a secret war against American media only to have news-stations inadvertantly refer to it as a 'jihad'? Maybe you stock-pile arms, build up a secret army of insurgents and bomb a fucking building in New York just to be heard throughout the world. Subsequently, the media, evil as it is, takes advantage of the easily-manipulated puppets of America by extensively covering America's "war on terror."

And so the world cries just a little more...

Ness
Aug 5, 2004, 09:50 PM
In democracy, the majority always rules, however, that is hardly ever the case here in the US. We are more of a republic than a democracy.

Solstis
Aug 5, 2004, 09:54 PM
On 2004-08-05 19:50, Ness wrote:
In democracy, the majority always rules, however, that is hardly ever the case here in the US. We are more of a republic than a democracy.

Thank goodness. Sometimes the majority is a bit too dumb/opinionated to decide for itself.

Then again, the majority can be on to something every now and then.

Ness
Aug 5, 2004, 10:00 PM
If we were a democracy, blacks probably still wouldn't have all the rights that they have now, nor would women or any other persecuted minority.

Solstis
Aug 5, 2004, 10:02 PM
On 2004-08-05 20:00, Ness wrote:
If we were a democracy, blacks probably still wouldn't have all the rights that they have now, nor would women or any other persecuted minority.

And gays couldn't get married. Oh... wait...

Ness
Aug 5, 2004, 10:14 PM
On 2004-08-05 20:02, Solstis wrote:

On 2004-08-05 20:00, Ness wrote:

They are gaining rights slowly but surely just like all the other minorites.

InfernoNR7
Aug 5, 2004, 10:17 PM
On 2004-08-05 20:14, Ness wrote:

*cough* they can, and have *cough*

Seriously, they have. I think that their freedom is progressing quite well, maybe even faster than other "minorities" (I put quotes because some aren't minorities, for example, women).

Solstis
Aug 5, 2004, 10:22 PM
On 2004-08-05 20:17, InfernoNR7 wrote:

On 2004-08-05 20:14, Ness wrote:

*cough* they can, and have *cough*

Seriously, they have. I think that their freedom is progressing quite well, maybe even faster than other "minorities" (I put quotes because some aren't minorities, for example, women).

noooot really. Depends on how you look at it.

From the views of when the real movement began... yes, but not in the "Eyes of History" (tm).

Although blacks were considered by some (including me), to have been in "slavery" until the sixties (1960s) gays, much like women, have kinda been under the heel since ancient times (barring greeks).

InfernoNR7
Aug 5, 2004, 10:28 PM
On 2004-08-05 20:22, Solstis wrote:

noooot really. Depends on how you look at it.

From the views of when the real movement began... yes, but not in the "Eyes of History" (tm).

Although blacks were considered by some (including me), to have been in "slavery" until the sixties (1960s) gays, much like women, have kinda been under the heel since ancient times (barring greeks).

Weren't the Romans also "pro-'gay'"? But, yes, I see what you mean. I kinda took it in the since that we were talking about America...

Tycho
Aug 6, 2004, 12:06 AM
On 2004-08-05 19:50, Ness wrote:

If that's the definition of a democracy, it'd suck. You can't have everyone in the country vote over one little thing. Some inbetween form would be better..

@Inferno: Not the Romans, the ancient Greek.

Eiwahz: Why were you even watching Nickelodeon? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

InfernoNR7
Aug 6, 2004, 12:19 AM
Oo, I thought it was the Greek and the Romans, not just the Greek.... I guess it was simply Latin that killed the Romans (Gosh is that language more difficult than ours, speaking from 2 years of clases). (NOTE: The part about latin killing the Romans was a totally off subject from the sentence before it, and is an inside joke)

Lol

Back OT: Nick used to be cool, I also used to be 8, now I just watch it because I have two bros, ages 4 and 12. The old Rugrats was good (kinda like the old DexLab).

EDIT: Added that note for clarification.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: InfernoNR7 on 2004-08-05 22:21 ]</font>

Eihwaz
Aug 6, 2004, 04:18 PM
On 2004-08-05 22:06, Tycho wrote:
Eiwahz: Why were you even watching Nickelodeon? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

I figured someone would ask this. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

When she's not watching stupid shit on MTV, or VH1, or Fuse (a kind of music channel that's virtually all music video shows), she's watching Nick. She was off doing something, so I get up to turn off the TV, and that annoying song came on. I guess it's just one of my pet peeves or something. >_<

Dillon133
Aug 7, 2004, 05:08 AM
nickolodeon went down hill after they got rid of round house,are you afraid of the dark and best of all ...just snick in general

IT WILL BE THE END OF US ALL
!!!

Ness
Aug 7, 2004, 04:10 PM
Actually, it was the Romans. They thought that love between men was the highest form of love because in combat, a man would fight harder to impress his lover.

Azbats
Aug 7, 2004, 06:44 PM
On 2004-08-05 19:54, Solstis wrote:

Sometimes the majority is a bit too dumb/opinionated to decide for itself.

Then again, the majority can be on to something every now and then.

Like for example when it's really pissed off because their dumb fuck President wants to go to war to control the oil in the middle east because his country keep producing cars that do 1cm to the gallon. And bribes other countries into joining him by offering them favourable sanctions and fuckwit Priministers of England, who never listen to what the public wants agrees and they have lots of political sex with each other?

Just an example...

opaopajr
Aug 8, 2004, 03:23 AM
USA is a secular constitutional democratic republic. just for those who were curious.