PDA

View Full Version : FanFic: The Master and the Apprentice: Kieran and Revan

HunterKieran
Aug 6, 2004, 12:51 PM
Cast of Characters:
Kieran Devaneaux: A Master-Hunter, seeking to teach his new student Revan in the weapons and techniques available to the Hunter class

Demon-Kieran: A Master-Force, a demented, scheming clone of Master-Hunter Kieran; seeks to recruit Revan into his fold by giving him an easy route to power

Revan: Hunter-in-Training, Kieran's apprentice; eager to learn how to be a Hunter, but easily gullible if promised an easier way to attain great power and skill - making him an easy target for Demon-Kieran's manipulation

VR Field: The Forest, Ragol

"You must be able to predict the movements of the native life in order to survive against them," came the voice from the Calus link. "Observe the Booma. It has only one thing on its mind: You're in its territory, and it wants you out. Now go for it, but be sure to stay out of its line of attack. Try to get him from behind."

With those words in his mind, the apprentice-Hunter readied his Photon blade as he moved in to take on the Booma. He lunged, headed for its back...too late. The Booma saw him and swung its massive claws, knocking the Hunter student on his back. For a VR field, that had hurt like crazy, he had to admit. So much so, in fact, that he slipped blissfully into unconsciousness...

The Lab, Pioneer 2

Kieran Devaneaux chuckled to himself as he watched the stretcher go by, more from experience than what he had seen. He had promise, the Master-Hunter had to admit. "Looking at that kid get knocked on his ass, it feels like twenty years ago all over again," Kieran commented to the Calus operator. "Things were different then," the operator agreed, his voice low to avoid being heard by the dictator Dol Grisen's "pets" in the science labs. "We had more freedom, and we didn't have to work on this cloning nonsense."

"Come now, gentlemen, let us not be so critical of our leader," a voice very similar to Kieran's said. Since his defeat at Gal Da Val years earlier, Demon-Kieran had been allowed to live and work on Pioneer 2 - though he remained as scheming and as insane as always. "Grisen means only to --"

"Enslave us," the operator retorted bitterly. "Back under Tyrell, I didn't have to be a damn taskmaster, pushing all these kids to the limit. But since our 'great leader' seems to be obsessed with gaining more power, none of us have a choice. Dictatorial bastard."

"Mind your tongue," Demon-Kieran warned, a smug smile on his face. "I could very easily have you both arrested."

"You?" the operator sneered. "No wonder Grisen likes you. Jackasses and lunatics seem to go together."

"Enough," Kieran intervened. "No sense in getting yourself arrested - or worse - because you have an opinion. So just SHUT UP," he said coldly, glaring at the operator, "and do your job. Or...I will be forced to do mine." Though he did not like living under Grisen's evil rule, Kieran did not wish to be an exile. His students, his wife, and his own life depended on his playing the conformist.

For now, anyway.

Dol Grisen's Office

"It gets worse in the training areas every day," Demon-Kieran said tiredly. "Kieran isn't a part of the Arkz yet, but I think he's headed in that direction."

"No," Dol Grisen said with finality, a smug smile on his face. "Kieran values his position and his head remaining where they are. Though his student - Revan, I think - bears some watching."

"I was thinking the same thing. He seems headstrong, arrogant - perfect to replace the Will as an enforcer." His android-Hunter assassin, the Demon's Will, had been destroyed by Kieran and his wife, the Ranger Celest, in the ancient ruins on Ragol fifteen years earlier. Demon-Kieran needed a new assassin - but furthermore, he needed a new student.

He knew exactly where to start...

Outside the Lab

Revan was standing in the huge observation deck just outside the Lab, staring down at Ragol. Though the colonization of Ragol had begun years earlier, Pioneer 2 still sat in orbit, its scientists working 'round the clock to meet Grisen's mandate. He wanted cloning technology, and he was going to get it even if Ragol exploded or something. Though he thought this was utter nonsense, Revan admired Grisen's single-mindedness to achieving his goal, no matter how crazy it might sound.

"It would be nice, wouldn't it?" the voice of Demon-Kieran said behind him. "Not having to work with someone who might end up becoming a rebel, like all those misguided Arkz."

"Master Kieran? Join the Arkz? Forgive me, Master Demon-Kieran, but that's the craziest thing I've ever heard."

"Dol Grisen agrees. He thinks that Kieran is too devoted to his students and to that one-eyed bitch he calls his wife." The Demon spit on the ground in contempt. Celest Devaneaux had shot Demon-Kieran in the right shoulder during the conflict between the two Kierans a decade earlier, and the wound had become infected, requiring amputation of his arm. His right arm was now a massive battle claw, but it was specially made to channel his incredible power. Even though so many years had passed, Demon-Kieran was still without a doubt one of the most powerful technique users alive.

Instead of being angry at the insult to his teacher, Revan sounded interested. "She took off your arm?"

"No, doctors took off my arm. But she did contribute, yes." Demon-Kieran flexed the huge claw with a smile. "Still, it's an improvement."

"So what do you want?" Revan demanded, suspicious.

"It's not what I want, per se. It's what YOU want, young Hunter. You want to be strong, powerful, and not have to wait for grueling training, yes?" Demon-Kieran tapped his head, his smile widening. "Doesn't take a telepath to know what you're thinking, boy. You feel held back, you want more. Yes?"

Revan, shocked, merely nodded.

"I thought so. I think your skills would be better off if you were trained by someone who KNEW what power was. What do you think, young one? Does this sound appealing to you?" The tall Force held out his hand. "Come with me, Revan, and I will give you power beyond imagination."

Hesitantly, but eagerly, Revan clasped the Demon's hand, sealing their pact.

And in the shadows, Kieran Devaneaux watched in disappointment as his promising student was lured into the fold of greed, dictatorship, and power-lust....

Solstis
Aug 6, 2004, 09:07 PM
I love it!

Even though I have never read any stories in the series, I knew *exactly* where the plot was and where it was going.

Or at least, I think I do, as it seems all this foreshadowing and such could go anywhere.

Great work!

HunterKieran
Aug 13, 2004, 10:30 PM
The Corruption of Revan

Demon-Kieran's Laboratory, Ragol Mines

"You wanted power," Master Demon-Kieran was explaining to his new follower. "So I will provide it. There is a place somewhere near 'Emperor' Kieran's stronghold on Gal Da Val that holds a weapon of immense power. The sword's energies are kept locked inside it by a powerful seal. This mission is very dangerous, Revan. It is unknown what that power can do to you if it gets into your possession. It may even kill you..."

"It is worth the risk, Master," Revan said cockily. "Let me go there, and I will return with the sword in my possession."

"I am certain you will," Demon-Kieran conceded. "But due to the amount of danger, I will be coming with you." He picked up his Bringer's Rifle and put it in the special sheath on his belt, then grabbed his dark staff. Before Revan could protest, he raised a ring-studded hand. "No buts, Revan, and I mean it. You have much to learn, and that is why I am here. But unlike Kieran, I do not intend to hold you back. This is your first real mission. None of that virtual reality nonsense. I intend to see how you do in the real world, not confine you to Pioneer 2. No, most emphatically not."

Revan knew Demon-Kieran was right, and he lost some of the smugness. "Yes, Master."

"Good. I can get us into the lab on Pioneer 2 and program the surface teleporter to teleport us to the Central Control Area. I also have the codes to open the main door without having to go to the other three areas of the island to deactivate the security lock. Speed is of the essence, Revan...we will need to be quick."

Dol Grisen's Office

"You are sure of this?" Grisen asked, a puzzled look on his face.

"Beyond a doubt," Demon-Kieran replied. "Our friend the 'Emperor' is hiding powerful weapons for his later use....or for the use of the Arkz. It's entirely possible that the Arkz may even be there on Gal Da Val."

"There have been no signs of them, Master Demon-Kieran," one of Grisen's scientists said icily. "We would have known; we have been monitoring Gal Da Val for years."

"Yes, and you have been taking those findings with a grain of salt," Demon-Kieran retorted, his voice just as cold.

"Enough," Grisen said, growing irritated. "Master Demon-Kieran, investigate the Emperor's stronghold on Gal Da Val. Find these weapons - and any evidence that Kieran is collaborating with the Arkz. Evidence, not hearsay. Do I make myself clear?"

Demon-Kieran bowed. "Yes, sir."

"Good. Now go...and you had better be right."

Gal Da Val Central Control Area

Demon-Kieran and Revan stood before the gate of Kieran's stronghold on Gal Da Val. "I never knew he could have built such a fortress," Revan breathed.

"He didn't," Demon-Kieran told him as he found the computer panel for the door. "This was built in secret by the scientists of Pioneer 1 nearly three decades ago. Its location is no accident; they meant to keep this secret from the population at the Central Dome. This place, and the seabed laboratory, were specifically built for the development of special - and thus, secret - projects."

"You mean, like the altered beasts?"

"Correct; also the machines and, to some extent, some dark-cell lifeforms. That project was handled by Osto Hyle; he attempted to implant the Olga AI core brought with Pioneer 1 into a human test subject."

"Who was the subject?"

Demon-Kieran was silent for a moment as he input the codes to open the door. "A name you probably know - Flowen."

"Heathcliff Flowen? Pioneer 1's Deputy Commander?"

"That's the man." Deactivating the security alarms, Demon-Kieran stepped back as the door slid open. "The resulting creature, 'Olga Flow', was nearly as powerful as Dark Falz before it."

"What happened?" Revan asked as he followed Demon-Kieran inside.

"The experiment failed; Olga Flow went out of control. They threw it down a disposal shaft, where it was found fifteen years ago and destroyed by several hunters."

"How do you know all this, Master?"

"Because I was one of the hunters. So was Kieran, and his witch-mate. There were a lot of us involved in that battle; only a few of us came back alive. But the Flow DNA provided power for three types of weapons. My staff is one of them." Demon-Kieran glanced around. "Keep quiet, and be on your guard. Kieran probably has some men around here." Pulling out his Bringer's Rifle, Demon-Kieran started walking forward. A red security field blocked the doorway in front of him, and he opened up the panel to deactivate it. The field went from red to blue, meaning it was safe to go through. Revan followed the Master-Force until he came to a stop, raising a hand for Revan to do the same. "Master?"

"Shh...did you hear that?"

Revan strained to listen. He heard footsteps. Small-sounding, but there. "We're not alone," he whispered back.

"Be ready," the Demon told him. "Come out!" he shouted.

Stepping out of the shadow of the tower was a familiar female Ranger, holding a Yasminkov 7000V and smiling broadly. Her right eye was covered by an eyepatch, and her left green eye blazed furiously. Demon-Kieran's eyes widened in recognition. "Celest!"

"I told you we would meet again, Demon," the Ranger told him.

"And I told you it would be on the day you die, you pompous bitch," Demon-Kieran snarled back.

"You believe that, don't you?" She raised her rifle and pointed it right at the Demon's head. "Let's see if you even bleed." She opened fire, and before Revan could react, Demon-Kieran has raised his left hand sharply and deflected the bullet to the side.

"You have much to learn, my former apprentice," Demon-Kieran said with a smile as he unsheathed his fire-rune sword. With a skillful swing, he sliced off the Ranger's right arm at the elbow - the same arm she had taken from him. Though obviously in pain, Celest didn't show it as she took out her own blade, made from the hand of a Delsaber.

"Go, Revan!" Demon-Kieran shouted. "I will take this witch on myself. Finish the mission!"

Revan turned and ran for the teleporter which would take him into the cliffs of Gal Da Val. "CELEST!" the voice of Kieran shouted from the West Tower, directly above the two combatants. "STOP REVAN!!!"

"Oh, no you don't," the Demon said as he launched a series of fireballs towards the top of the West Tower. When he had turned his attention back to Celest, she had already struck. He look at his own right arm, then saw the battle claw was lying on the ground next to him. Smeared on her dark-creature blade was Demon-Kieran's blood and bits of his robe. As gracefully as a ballerina, Celest parried all of Demon-Kieran's blows, before finally kicking him in the stomach, sending him onto his back.

Smiling, Celest picked up the blood-stained battle claw and placed it on her own arm. It took a few moments to adjust it to her arm, but when she was done, she flexed the "fingers" in anticipation. "Now I know how you feel," she taunted. "I'd love to stay and chat, Demon, but I have bigger fish to fry." She sheathed her sword and picked up her Yasminkov.

"Don't miss," Demon-Kieran said as he released bolts of Photon lightning at his foe. Celest, realizing that these were killing bolts and that she could not merely jump out of the way, activated her teleportation device and returned to Pioneer 2.

"Go, Revan...complete the mission," the Demon said as he slipped into unconsciousness....

The Cliffs of Gal Da Val
Somewhere Nearby

Revan made his way to the gigantic altar set up in the cliffs not far from the Central Control Area. It was a statue of the Gal Griffon, the altered creature Kieran and several other hunters had defeated during the search for clues pertaining to the disappearance of Heathcliff Flowen. Below it, on a large stone table, was a gold-plated display case carrying a dark-bladed sword. It was a J-sword, much like Kieran's - except its power was kept in check by the seal near where the blade met the hilt. Revan lifted his Photon saber and swung, smashing the glass of the display case.

Throwing the saber aside, Revan grabbed the hilt of the weapon and felt the dark power throbbing through it. He smiled. He knew this was the weapon Demon-Kieran was referring to...