PDA

View Full Version : Interesting MAG factoids...

Lenneth
Feb 21, 2001, 05:36 AM
Most of these are mainly cosmetic, but I'd figure I'd share them with you guys. =)

Factoid #1:
If you give someone else or another of your characters a mag, that mag will retain its original color _even after further evolutions_. Thus, if a red costumed FOmarl gives a black costumed HUmar (aren't they all? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_wink.gif ) one of her mags, that mag will still stay red, even after it evolves into a Hunter-type mag. Note that this seems to apply to whomever first picks up the hatchling mag (level 1).
This obviously has some interesting ramifications to those of us that use our mags as fashion accessories. =)

Factoid #2:
Those characters created with the hidden costumes are randomly assigned a color for their mag. Thus, a RAcaseal with a hidden costume may be red, but she might have a green or blue mag, or any of the normal costume colors. What is also VERY interesting is that through this it seems that you can access colors that you would not normally see: cyan, brown, pink, dark blue (this might have been black, couldn't tell on my screen) have all ben received. There might be more. Note that a color is assigned permanently when the character is created... to get a different color, you need to recreate the character.
This was all tested repeatedly with a FOmarl with costume #9. YMMV, but this seems to check out with anyone else that's played around with the extra costumes (though this seems to be a small number). Please, I'd be interested to see what colors other people come across... I FINALLY got red with my other character, so I'm not looking to recreate her... yet.

Third Factoid:
Photon blasts do not change when mags change owners. Thus, trading mags can be mutually beneficial... Leilla or Mylla/Youlla may be useless to a Force, but potentially useful to a RAcast, HUcast or RAcaseal. This might also help those that are trying to limit their photon blasts... (DCKaz)

Final Factoid:
It's not common knowledge that unlike weapons & armor, mags do not raise stats beyond the maximum possible for the class (i.e. 450 for evade, etc... see http://www.jeha.org/pso/char/stmax.html). Most people take this into account when creating android characters by not raising their mag's Mind stat. Most people, however, do NOT take this into account when a character reaches their maximum later in their career.

For instance, a mid-high level HUcast reaches 999 power... not very unfeasable. A weapon will still boost ATP beyond that (though it may not show it), as demonstrated by the android doing much more damage with a dragon slayer than a saber against some poor rap rappy.
Boosting your mag's POW stat will NOT increase your damage, however. Furthermore, whenever that HUcast levels, further raising his natural ATP, the mag's POW stat is being further wasted. Therefore it is most likely in the HUcast's best interest to raise another mag that will bolster stats that won't max out (DEX, DEF).

This applies also to HUnewearls (which max out evade/defense rather quickly, rendering DEF useless), the various Forces (all of whom will max out their MST eventually), rangers with DEX/ATA... etc.
The main thing idea to keep an eye out on your own natural stats at higher levels, and use your mags then to bolster your shortcomings.

I hope this helps everyone in their continuing search to become better acquainted with their magnetic pets. =)

Pax, Lenneth

SilentMetronome
Feb 21, 2001, 07:14 AM
K, I know this'll probably sound silly of me... but when you say, "YMMV, but this seems to check out with anyone else that's played around with the extra costumes..." what does YMMV stand for? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

Butter-Knife
Feb 21, 2001, 07:36 AM
(Your Mileage May Vary) I believe...

DCKaz
Feb 21, 2001, 01:56 PM
Yeah photon blasts never change.. one really can model the heck of it.. and I'm still wondering if you can get some blasts from the high level mag transforms..

Nice additions, I still needed more swapping play around with the mags for some of the stuff here, and did notice the extra costume random color thing.. good show http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

DCKaz

Lenneth
Feb 21, 2001, 02:37 PM
-nod- I currently only have 2 blasts on my Kama with my RAcaseal, so I'm looking for a mag cell as well... =) I'll let you know if I find out anything else.