PDA

View Full Version : tryin to put together a band...

MEandI2049
Aug 8, 2004, 10:57 PM
(hope i got this in the right forum)

alright, if you live in oregon and play an instrument(guitar, bass, drums) or if you can sing, please either PM me or post here. i can play lead or rhythem guitar. my old band broke up cuz everyone but me sucked. i dont really care about age but i'm 15 if it matters to anyone else. i'm best at playing punk but i suppose i could learn other stuff. i just wanna play. i dont care about gender either. whatever. if you need more info just say so.

and lemme know if i put this in the right forum lol.

Getintothegame
Aug 9, 2004, 02:17 AM
Heh, it's handy you posted it here, since we have a huge userbase full of people from Oregon.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Have you tried advertising it locally? Like, through bulletien board ads? Or if you go to school, asking permission to post something there?

Genoa
Aug 9, 2004, 06:44 PM
On 2004-08-09 00:17, Getintothegame wrote:
Heh, it's handy you posted it here, since we have a huge userbase full of people from Oregon.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Have you tried advertising it locally? Like, through bulletien board ads? Or if you go to school, asking permission to post something there?

Yea, alot of Oregon... R u the only Montana???? *seeing it's... Montana and all... not saying its bad, but u no... population isn't very, populer*

trypticon
Aug 9, 2004, 10:10 PM
There are a few people from Oregon that post on these forums, but I need to agree with these two guys that this is a really out of the way place to post about your need for members.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: trypticon on 2004-08-09 20:10 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: trypticon on 2004-08-09 20:13 ]</font>

MEandI2049
Aug 9, 2004, 10:26 PM
yeah, i figure i'll post everywhere i can. tommorow i'm gonna go and put an ad in the newspaper. (maybe, depends how much money it costs cuz, well, i dont have any)and everyone in the staff at my school are assholes so they wont let me do anything. i already found a drummer that lives in oregon through psow so that is making me think i can find other people to.

well, i'm gonna go find some other websites i can post on lol. bye-bye all.

HotWaterDeath
Aug 10, 2004, 04:59 PM
Could you list some of your influences? I'm just curious. Certain, four-letter words (Used in describing musical stylings) get my ears to perk up.

MEandI2049
Aug 10, 2004, 08:57 PM
if by influences you mean bands well, my main influence is NOFX.
Certain, four-letter words (Used in describing musical stylings) get my ears to perk up.

i dont know what the fuck you're talkin about here.

Getintothegame
Aug 10, 2004, 09:11 PM
R u the only Montana???? *seeing it's... Montana and all... not saying its bad, but u no... population isn't very, populer*

Off Topic:
AUTO_ and I are the only *active* Montanan PSO World members. I live in Billings and he lives elsewhere.

Maybe some day we will meet? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

There have been a few Montanans in the past, but they left.

On 2004-08-10 18:57, MEandI2049 wrote:
if by influences you mean bands well, my main influence is NOFX.
Certain, four-letter words (Used in describing musical stylings) get my ears to perk up.

i dont know what the fuck you're talkin about here.

Isn't he asking you to describe what kind of band you're making?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Getintothegame on 2004-08-10 19:13 ]</font>

MEandI2049
Aug 10, 2004, 09:21 PM
i thought i already covered this in my first post. well, punk. lol.

HotWaterDeath
Aug 13, 2004, 12:36 PM
Four letter word describing a type of music, that is usually fast or abrasive (Or tame by todays standards). I wonder what it could be.

I see you're into the typical "Epi-Fat" range of three-chord rock. More power to ya, I believe you shouldn't have too much trouble scrounging up a few bandmates, unless the area is saturated with nu-metal clones and mainstream metalcore rejects. Have fun!

MEandI2049
Aug 13, 2004, 10:06 PM
well of course its gonna be fast. i really dont care for tame. not at all.

i'm surprised no one with musical talent has posted yet. on any site that i posted i need members even. maybe no one likes me....

HotWaterDeath
Aug 15, 2004, 05:33 PM
I'm just saying that what "passes" for "punk-rock" in the limelight of crappy publications like AP Magazines, etc. nowadays is pretty tame. I'm still suprised at half the bands people call "punk" in this day and age.

Message boards are usually horrible in regards to setting up a band. Especially "scenester" boards geared around music in general. Just make a few "ad" flyers and tape them up around some music shops and around college campuses. That's how I get a few nips nowadays anyway.

MEandI2049
Aug 15, 2004, 09:18 PM
i'm surprised to. especially with bands like simple plan and blink 182 that say they are punk cuz they think it will bring in more fans. THEY ARE POP EVERYONE. or sometin of that nature....not punk though.

yeah i think i'm gonna go post some stuff in like stores and music stores and playgrounds and restrooms and street lights and some other places. would i get a ticket for vandalism in some of these places? idk....i'm not gonna do that college campus thing cuz i dont really wanna play with a bunch of people that are like 10 years older than me. otherwise i'd already have a band. my dad drums, uncle/bass. and so on...

Spider
Aug 16, 2004, 01:27 AM
Saying Blink are pop is more pop or mainstream whatever then going to a Brittany Spears gig, or whatevers in at the moment.
Its tragic how a band can be original, then be copied by a million other people then classed pop.

darthsaber9x9
Aug 16, 2004, 06:00 AM
On 2004-08-15 23:27, Spider wrote:
Saying Blink are pop is more pop or mainstream whatever then going to a Brittany Spears gig, or whatevers in at the moment.
Its tragic how a band can be original, then be copied by a million other people then classed pop.

its sad but true. Many people think blink have suddenly just appeared. No, they have been around for quite a while, and ther earlier stuff at least was good.

Now good charlotte.... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_barf.gif

Spider
Aug 16, 2004, 08:43 AM
darthsaber9x9... I've only come back to the forums today, and I'm rather off my head right now, but I must say you are a (Would insert swear word here, but not sure if its alowed) champ http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

darthsaber9x9
Aug 16, 2004, 09:15 AM
thank you my friend! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_beer.gif

HotWaterDeath
Aug 16, 2004, 02:22 PM
Blink 182 is original? Too bad The Descendents, Ramones, Screeching Weasel, and countless other bands were around doing generally the same style (Albeit minute differences between them, and doing it better in my opinion)years before those Cali boys even picked up instruments. I'm not saying that Blink is horrible by any means, I'm just not the biggest fan of them. Most people, I believe, are generally aware of the state of Blink now, considering their newer releases have reached a "gold" status at least. Plenty of people were into them before "Dude Ranch" hit it big. Granted WAY more people are into them now. I still wouldn't call Blink (182) "punk-rock" by any means. I hope Travis joins up with a band that can better utilize his talent in the near future (And No, Boxcar Racer, and the Transplants don't count). He's actually a decent drummer.

MEandI2049
Aug 16, 2004, 10:45 PM
blink is deffinetely (sp?) not punk anymore. idk about pop cuz thats just plain insulting. i mean, no one wants to be labeled a pop band. actually thats why they say they're punk prolly. hmmm...oh well...

HotWaterDeath
Aug 17, 2004, 12:48 PM
Simply put; if you're selling millions upon millions of records, mass producing merchandise in third-world sweat shops, running merch schemes to dupe unsuspecting mall-rats, catering to mall-rats, "gracing" the cover of AP magazine (Or anything like AP...i.e. Spin, et cetera), forcing an "image", enforcing a "lifestyle" on other people. Then you are not "punk-rock"

Its a sharp, double-edged sword.

digigram
Aug 17, 2004, 02:43 PM
so, in order to be "punk rock", a band has to force themselves to live in piles of shit, eating ramen and struggling to make the next meal workout?

for your enjoyment?

MEandI2049
Aug 17, 2004, 10:10 PM
dude, wtf. lmao. i'm lazy so hotwater will prolly explain it for ya. me and him know what we're talkin about lol.

HotWaterDeath
Aug 19, 2004, 11:08 AM
On 2004-08-17 12:43, digigram wrote:
so, in order to be "punk rock", a band has to force themselves to live in piles of shit, eating ramen and struggling to make the next meal workout?

for your enjoyment?

Who says you have to be that way!? I certainly never did! Maybe you're caught up on the "Green Day Selling-Spree" or something buddy (I happen to love Green Day, by the way even if they're a "rock" band). Gracious! You can sell records through an independent label (Of your own efforts, perhaps) and still make a decent living. "Punk-rockers" dining out at five-star restaurants, eh? Where do you get off making some asinine comment like "Forcing yourself to live in a pile-of-crap", et cetera? Maybe you won't be the "text-book" definition of success (Rolling in piles of gold, with enough female/male roadie butt to tap into for the next century) but you will have enough to live a comfortable life....provided you work your butt off, just like everybody else, and you give it your utmost (Being original helps). Thats the way things are. Like it, or lump it.

Secondly, there is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with Ramen noodles! Shoot, I'd eat that stuff even if I crapped "one-hundred-dollar bills" every second.

MEandI2049
Aug 19, 2004, 10:08 PM
nicely put dude.

BogusKun
Aug 20, 2004, 03:40 AM
I pretty much like Blink182s older songs.

It seems that they are trying way too hard to please their friends than fans now. Look at how lame their video gets.

Skateboading in the background gets pretty old, and with less rebellion in their lyrics, they deserved to be choked by their own fans.

What fans are looking at in music now days are the videos and Blink isn't doin a very good job.

darthsaber9x9
Aug 20, 2004, 05:59 AM
On 2004-08-19 09:08, HotWaterDeath wrote:

On 2004-08-17 12:43, digigram wrote:

for your enjoyment?

Who says you have to be that way!? I certainly never did! Maybe you're caught up on the "Green Day Selling-Spree" or something buddy (I happen to love Green Day, by the way even if they're a "rock" band). Gracious! You can sell records through an independent label (Of your own efforts, perhaps) and still make a decent living. "Punk-rockers" dining out at five-star restaurants, eh? Where do you get off making some asinine comment like "Forcing yourself to live in a pile-of-crap", et cetera? Maybe you won't be the "text-book" definition of success (Rolling in piles of gold, with enough female/male roadie butt to tap into for the next century) but you will have enough to live a comfortable life....provided you work your butt off, just like everybody else, and you give it your utmost (Being original helps). Thats the way things are. Like it, or lump it.

Secondly, there is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with Ramen noodles! Shoot, I'd eat that stuff even if I crapped "one-hundred-dollar bills" every second.

There is more to being punk than where you eat you know.

EDIT: Id just like to add that it's quite hard to be totally original now really. Whatever you do there is probably going to be someone who did similar sometime before

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: darthsaber9x9 on 2004-08-20 04:02 ]</font>

HotWaterDeath
Aug 20, 2004, 11:09 AM
There is truth in that Darthsaber, but you can still add your own flavor to a "tired" formula. At the same time, there's bound to be something that hasn't been done before in the music world in general (Not just within any specific form of music). But until some chaps come along and make history again, I can always dig my "roots".

Also, when did I state that eating ramen is a "definitive" act of "punk-rock", Darthy? I just said I like them. But can digest the facts any way you want to. As for me, I'm going to kick back with my Gunmoll records and eat some sweet Yakisoba.

ShadowNINJA007
Aug 20, 2004, 09:56 PM
I've hung around Guitar boards, and anyone who mentions wanting to play Blink is branded a newb for life. They say Blink songs are so easy its like 2 or 3 chords and a sad excuse for a riff slapped together and they call it a song.

MEandI2049
Aug 20, 2004, 10:27 PM
I've hung around Guitar boards, and anyone who mentions wanting to play Blink is branded a newb for life. They say Blink songs are so easy its like 2 or 3 chords and a sad excuse for a riff slapped together and they call it a song.

yeah, i gotta say i agree with shadowninja here. er, the guys that said that or, whatever. i agree with the words that were typed.

and i wanna know where digigram came up with his views on punk. i mean, dude, wtf?

RamarBassist
Aug 28, 2004, 03:15 PM
Since your talking about music i might as well add my opinion, as for blink 182 there not true punk rock and my fav. blink album is definitelt cheshire cat, which is an old one. My favorite form of music is definitely classic, psychadelic and progressive rock. Does anyone else on this thread agree with me?